PDA

View Full Version : The legend of QB Whisperer Bruce Arians began at Dear Ol' State...

Rick Cleveland
01-27-2021, 10:15 AM
https://mississippitoday.org/2021/01/27/the-legend-of-nfls-qb-whisperer-bruce-arians-began-at-miss-state/

StarkVegasSteve
01-27-2021, 10:35 AM
He's a hell of a coach and always has been. Wish we could've given him more of a look in 04 and at least kicked the tires when he was out of coaching in 17. That guy is Dan Mullen x1000.

Todd4State
01-27-2021, 06:13 PM
Arians best job was with Mike Pizinski in 1993. Actually, he did a good job with Todd Jordan in the Egg Bowl that year. Run the ball almost every time and then throw a flea flicker to Eric Moulds in the my personal favorite MSU play of all time. I wish Jackie would have kept him. I thought he did a solid job for us.

AROB44
01-27-2021, 07:35 PM
Jackie was forced to fire him.

lastmajordog
01-28-2021, 06:00 PM
I can’t judge how great a coach BA is or was, but I can tell you the fact Dave Marler didn’t play QB for four years for the DOGS is probably one of the biggest MSU self inflicted wounds ever and biggest reason people wonder why the DOGS couldn’t seem to get a real qb for many years. He was that good and would have been an MSU legend.

paco
01-28-2021, 06:07 PM
I remember watching the Spring game with my eyes on Gary Schauffhauser (sp?). I was scratching my head thinking the best player on the field was our Placekicker playing QB.

I remember being in B'ham watching Marler and McDole light it up. If it weren't for two fictious penalties, we would have beaten the Bear that day.

Also, Bobby Bowden brought an up-n-coming FSU program to campus one afternoon. Marler to McDole moved the ball up and down the field all day. 55-27?

lastmajordog
01-28-2021, 06:53 PM
I remember watching the Spring game with my eyes on Gary Schauffhauser (sp?). I was scratching my head thinking the best player on the field was our Placekicker playing QB.

I remember being in B'ham watching Marler and McDole light it up. If it weren't for two fictious penalties, we would have beaten the Bear that day.

Also, Bobby Bowden brought an up-n-coming FSU program to campus one afternoon. Marler to McDole moved the ball up and down the field all day. 55-27?

What is interesting is #1 Dave was always a DOG and ALWAYS wanted to be a DOG. #2 He was a great kicker BUT his punting was his best talent and a shame he didn’t do it for the DOGS fall team, his intramural fball (semester before he joined the team) would sit down on kickoff as he punted the ball out of the end zone just for a laugh.#3 Bobby Bowden’s team was #18 in the country if memory serves although they did have a couple secondary issues. It truly still bothers me to think how incredible he and the DOGS could have been if he had gone as a freshman......

was21
01-29-2021, 11:24 AM
It seems to me that at one time he expressed interest in the State HC job, but I could be mistaken. I'm wondering if he interviewed for it at one time.

Joebob
01-31-2021, 09:45 PM
I can?t judge how great a coach BA is or was, but I can tell you the fact Dave Marler didn?t play QB for four years for the DOGS is probably one of the biggest MSU self inflicted wounds ever and biggest reason people wonder why the DOGS couldn?t seem to get a real qb for many years. He was that good and would have been an MSU legend.

If I remember right, Marler played for a junior college for two years before coming to MSU. But still, another year as MSU quarterback would have been great. And how come nobody offered him when he was a freshman and available for the taking?

It's just always haunted me that Dave Marler, Walter Payton, and Robert Brazille were all there for the taking, and all ended up at small colleges before becoming stars.

Todd4State
01-31-2021, 10:10 PM
If I remember right, Marler played for a junior college for two years before coming to MSU. But still, another year as MSU quarterback would have been great. And how come nobody offered him when he was a freshman and available for the taking?

It's just always haunted me that Dave Marler, Walter Payton, and Robert Brazille were all there for the taking, and all ended up at small colleges before becoming stars.

And Jackie Slater. I think Slater had a family member that played on the Women's basketball team at MSU.

tcdog70
02-01-2021, 08:44 PM
I thought He transfer from Miss. College

Rick Cleveland
02-02-2021, 10:56 AM
He was. He was a standout at MC.