PDA

View Full Version : Miss. State Women's Basketball Recruiting

jdelta02
01-21-2021, 05:30 PM
Saw this today...
Miss. State listed in the top 5 for 5-10, 5-11 guard Brianna McDaniel (ranked #30 ESPN class of 2022), Kenwood Academy, Chicago, Illinois.

Also, sharpshooter guard, signee Jasmine Shavers coming in for next season. She's a knockdown shooter, can fill it up.. Temple transfer point guard Ashley Jones next season as well. Jones was AAC Newcomer Of The Year last season. The other 2 are wing Denae Carter and. point guard Mia Moore. Could use a rebounding power forward or center in this group. Remember Coach McCray-Penson indicating that they are looking at some junior college transfers or some other type transfers for the late signing period. (Note) Miss. State has offered 6-5 junior college forward Taiyanna Jackson, Trinnity Valley Community College. She was one of the nation's (juco level) very top rebounders and shot blockers there last season as a freshman.. 6-3 forward Amaz Carmichael (no reported offer) from Hinds CC...was another of the natoins top junior college rebounders and shot blockers. (2nd nationally)....good to keep an eye on these type players, especially when local.

redstickdawg
01-21-2021, 05:55 PM
How long before we start recruiting trans? to the team now that keeping transmen out of women's sports is now not prohibited by Bide's order today?

Coach34
01-21-2021, 06:31 PM
Put a wig on Stands' kid and let's roll.

Ari Gold
01-21-2021, 09:13 PM

Well played

klong-dog
01-21-2021, 10:36 PM

I laughed out loud

ZedFedder
01-21-2021, 10:42 PM

This made me legitimately chuckle.

jdelta02
01-21-2021, 11:45 PM
That's no way to talk about this young man people. Also, he's a person, a student and a representative of your university, your own team...athletics. Further, he's the son of a former head coach who gave much to the school and it's basketball program...he and his family. Can still remember seeing them all on the sidelines or in the stands. Thought enough to come back and play for his father's old team. Regardless, best to lay off the young man.

Percho
01-22-2021, 12:54 AM
That's no way to talk about this young man people. Also, he's a person, a student and a representative of your university, your own team...athletics. Further, he's the son of a former head coach who gave much to the school and it's basketball program...he and his family. Can still remember seeing them all on the sidelines or in the stands. Thought enough to come back and play for his father's old team. Regardless, best to lay off the young man.

I Agree.

Ari Gold
01-22-2021, 06:39 AM

Wow. You missed the whole point of the post... it’s not a shot at kid..
and with someone that follows women’s hoops as strong as you do you should be outraged as much as anyone..

Coach34
01-22-2021, 08:56 AM

Wowwwwww- I hate when people miss good jokes

Our new President on his 1st day in office addressed an emergency within our country. He signed an executive order to make sure that people with a penis are allowed to compete in girl’s sports. Little Stands was not a PWO and is on the team simply because of who his dad is.

We should be looking hard to recruit the transgender population in basketball. We could become Transgender U and really dominate the NCAA.

99jc
01-22-2021, 09:47 AM
This may offend some people but i don't really give a damn. The day we put a transgender on one of our sports teams i will be officially done.

jdelta02
01-22-2021, 12:08 PM
What do you all think about Charlotte Khol's potential? Appears skilled especially for her height. She's listed at 6-5, and is a former member of the German under 16 (U16) and under 18 (U18) national team's as well as the 3X3 under18 ((3?3 U18) national team. Ability to rebound, defend, adjust to the speed of the game and physical play will be huge keys in what ways and how much she'll be able to help Miss. State down the road. Also, her being recovered from previous knee injuries, physical conditioning, and strength level.

Ari Gold
01-22-2021, 05:30 PM
What do you all think about Charlotte Khol's potential? Appears skilled especially for her height. She's listed at 6-5, and is a former member of the German under 16 (U16) and under 18 (U18) national team's as well as the 3X3 under18 ((3?3 U18) national team. Ability to rebound, defend, adjust to the speed of the game and physical play will be huge keys in what ways and how much she'll be able to help Miss. State down the road. Also, her being recovered from previous knee injuries, physical conditioning, and strength level.

As long as she is a she... Im all in

jdelta02
01-24-2021, 03:40 PM
Taiyanna Jackson in season opening 84-46 win for #1 ranked Trinity Valley Community College....
-12 points
- 20 rebounds (9 offensive)
-5 blocks
Last season (freshman..2019-20) she finished 4th in the nation in total rebounds (421), 6th in rebounds per game (13.2), and 2nd in blocked shots (118). Also finished 7th nationally in offensive rebounds (143). 59.9% field goal..16th nationally.
She's a 6-5 sophomore, currently playing basketball for Trinity Valley CC. She's from E Chicago, Indiana...has a Miss. State offer. Can DEFINITELY help Miss. State, especially as an mmediate impact on the boards and blocking shots

Reported a Miss. State offer December of last year.

Irondawg
01-25-2021, 11:16 AM

Snap judgement is that I?m not expecting much out of her but let?s see how she looks after a year around the weight room and the game.

I?m just not sure she?s athletic enough but need to see more

OldME
01-26-2021, 12:54 PM
Given the recently signed Executive Order, perhaps we can recruit a couple of 6’4” “women” that went through puberty as males then converted. They could dunk, lead fast breaks, etc! (Just kidding. Such would ruin Women’s basketball, but this possibility just shows how absurd, IMO, that Executive Order is!)

jdelta02
01-30-2021, 08:08 AM
Taiyanna Jackson (#3 overall junior college prospect) with 19 points and 14 rebounds in her second game of the season..as #1 ranked Trinity Valley CC picks up a 72-53 win over South Plains. She had 20 rebounds in the last game, and is currently averaging....17 rebounds per game in her first two games of the season. Again, a player like this could definitely help Miss. State.

Also, Miss. State could use at least one player fairly similar to DeYona Gaston or the big, strong Lauren Ebo....both followed Coach Schaefer and his staff to Texas.

Coach Johnnie Harris' ability to recruit and develop post players was a big key with Miss. State in the past. Likewise, will need Coach Freeman to stepup big in helping Coach McCray Penson continue to recruit and develop.

Lets not count the new coach and her staff out folks. Give them time (been less than a season thus far), time will help tell more. Keep your head up coach, team. Fans..support and encourage them as much as possible.

schddog72
01-30-2021, 01:56 PM
Taiyanna Jackson (#3 overall junior college prospect) with 19 points and 14 rebounds in her second game of the season..as #1 ranked Trinity Valley CC picks up a 72-53 win over South Plains. She had 20 rebounds in the last game, and is currently averaging....17 rebounds per game in her first two games of the season. Again, a player like this could definitely help Miss. State.

Also, Miss. State could use at least one player fairly similar to DeYona Gaston or the big, strong Lauren Ebo....both followed Coach Schaefer and his staff to Texas.

Coach Johnnie Harris' ability to recruit and develop post players was a big key with Miss. State in the past. Likewise, will need Coach Freeman to stepup big in helping Coach McCray Penson continue to recruit and develop.

Lets not count the new coach and her staff out folks. Give them time (been less than a season thus far), time will help tell more. Keep your head up coach, team. Fans..support and encourage them as much as possible.

Unfortunately, there's another component to this equation - COACHING after they come into the program. Unfortunately, there's been a dearth of that since VS left and the new regime took over.

Jarius
01-30-2021, 02:00 PM
To all of you who care enough about MSU to keep up with women’s basketball recruiting, I salute you. You are so much better of a fan than me.

ZedFedder
01-30-2021, 03:46 PM
jdelta02, you are probably the biggest MSU WBB on this board. How do you truly feel about NMP? I know you are taking the patient approach, and I applaud you for that. I probably should be more patient. But just your hunch right now, how do you feel? I am very concerned. Its the effort and attitude more than the actual losses for me.

jdelta02
01-31-2021, 01:50 PM
jdelta02, you are probably the biggest MSU WBB on this board. How do you truly feel about NMP? I know you are taking the patient approach, and I applaud you for that. I probably should be more patient. But just your hunch right now, how do you feel? I am very concerned. Its the effort and attitude more than the actual losses for me.

On the surface of things (at this point)....
Coach McCray Penson's first season at Miss. State currently may or may not look overly successful or promising on the court..still, lets stay positive, support her, support the team and players, support the program. As for me.. continue to believe, support.

Quite a few of the same tendencies with some of these players coud be seen on the court during the World University Games while coached by Coach Schaefer and his staff...transition defense issues, players standing..looking at opponents make layups, not closing out on shooters, constanly being out of position, constantly not blocking out, switching issues, ect. As a team appeared very slow to react defensively (including reaction time). Though, Jasmine Holmes available helped a lot. Very much frustrated Coach Schaefer..even into the 2019-20 season. Remember Blair Schaefer speaking on some of these issues last season. Having Jordan Danberry last season helped cover up for a good bit of the issues with the younger players. Also Chloe Bibby, and additional leadership off the bench with Andra Espinoza-Hunter. Also, Coached Schaefer pressed much more (utilizing his small quick guards) last season, especially having the ultra quick Danberry to lead the pressure. Team was one of the top in the nation in forced turnovers/turnovers per game last season. Lack of a dominant press, pressure defense this season is a big key to results on the court as well. In the recent past that has been a key team strength with Miss. State's small, quick guards. Without a dominant press (including extended duration and energy)..team being exposed a lot more this season. Also, coaching staff will need to continue to learn and adjust...continue to grow.

ZedFedder
01-31-2021, 02:19 PM
Great response. Thank you. I am still concerned, but I will be more patient moving ahead.

Coach McCray Penson's first season at Miss. State currently may or may not look overly successful or promising on the court..still, lets stay positive, support her, support the team and players, support the program. As for me.. continue to believe, support.

Quite a few of the same tendencies with some of these players coud be seen on the court in the World University Games last summer while coached by Coach Schaefer and his staff...transition defense, players standing..looking at opponents make layups, not closing out on shooters, constanly being out of position, constantly, not blocking out, switching issues, ect. As a team appeared very slow to react defensively (including reaction time). Having Jasmine Holmes available helped a lot though. Remember Blair Schaefer speaking on some of these issues last season. Having Jordan Danberry last season helped cover up for a good bit of the issues with the younger players. Also Chloe Bibby, and additional leadership off the bench with Andra Espinoza-Hunter. Also, Coached Schaefer pressed much more (utilizing his small quick guards) last season, especially having the ultra quick Danberry to lead the pressure. Team was one of the top in the nation in forced turnovers/turnovers per game last season. Lack of a dominant press, pressure defense this season is a big key to results on the court as well. In the recent past that has been a key, team strength with Miss. State's small, quick guards. Without a dominant press (including extended duration and energy)..team being expised a lot more this season. Also, coaching staff will need to continue to learn and adjust...continue to grow.

99jc
01-31-2021, 02:20 PM

Quite a few of the same tendencies with some of these players coud be seen on the court in the World University Games last summer while coached by Coach Schaefer and his staff...transition defense, players standing..looking at opponents make layups, not closing out on shooters, constanly being out of position, constantly, not blocking out, switching issues, ect. As a team appeared very slow to react defensively (including reaction time). Having Jasmine Holmes available helped a lot though. Remember Blair Schaefer speaking on some of these issues last season. Having Jordan Danberry last season helped cover up for a good bit of the issues with the younger players. Also Chloe Bibby, and additional leadership off the bench with Andra Espinoza-Hunter. Also, Coached Schaefer pressed much more (utilizing his small quick guards) last season, especially having the ultra quick Danberry to lead the pressure. Team was one of the top in the nation in forced turnovers/turnovers per game last season. Lack of a dominant press, pressure defense this season is a big key to results on the court as well. In the recent past that has been a key, team strength with Miss. State's small, quick guards. Without a dominant press (including extended duration and energy)..team being expised a lot more this season. Also, coaching staff will need to continue to learn and adjust...continue to grow.

why cant you say what we all know....she is a 17ing bust and a joke of a coach. it doesn't take a whole season to figure it out.. worse hire than Moorhead and on par with rick ray.

R2Dawg
01-31-2021, 06:24 PM

Quite a few of the same tendencies with some of these players coud be seen on the court during the World University Games while coached by Coach Schaefer and his staff...transition defense issues, players standing..looking at opponents make layups, not closing out on shooters, constanly being out of position, constantly not blocking out, switching issues, ect. As a team appeared very slow to react defensively (including reaction time). Though, Jasmine Holmes available helped a lot. Very much frustrated Coach Schaefer..even into the 2019-20 season. Remember Blair Schaefer speaking on some of these issues last season. Having Jordan Danberry last season helped cover up for a good bit of the issues with the younger players. Also Chloe Bibby, and additional leadership off the bench with Andra Espinoza-Hunter. Also, Coached Schaefer pressed much more (utilizing his small quick guards) last season, especially having the ultra quick Danberry to lead the pressure. Team was one of the top in the nation in forced turnovers/turnovers per game last season. Lack of a dominant press, pressure defense this season is a big key to results on the court as well. In the recent past that has been a key team strength with Miss. State's small, quick guards. Without a dominant press (including extended duration and energy)..team being exposed a lot more this season. Also, coaching staff will need to continue to learn and adjust...continue to grow.

Delta I love your optimism but sometimes we got to call a spade a spade. This is a disaster.

One thing you forgot to mention was how she was going to deal with talent transfer loss after the season? It really doesn't matter how good she recruits if nothing else happens. We got best talent the program has ever had right now.

DeltaChicagoDog
02-02-2021, 12:58 AM
In terms of basketball knowledge, I have no idea how good or bad of a coach NMP is. That said, the results this season speak volumes. jdelta02, what are your thoughts on the job Coach NMP did at Old Dominion? Looking at their record during her tenure, they showed dramatic improvement after a poor year 1. What was the combination/ratio of coaching vs talent/returning experienced players that led to the turnaround at Old Dominion?

jdelta02
02-02-2021, 08:07 PM
In terms of basketball knowledge, I have no idea how good or bad of a coach NMP is. That said, the results this season speak volumes. jdelta02, what are your thoughts on the job Coach NMP did at Old Dominion? Looking at their record during her tenure, they showed dramatic improvement after a poor year 1. What was the combination/ratio of coaching vs talent/returning experienced players that led to the turnaround at Old Dominion?

Coach McCray-Penson
Old Dominion (3 seasons)
53-40 overall
2019-20 season...24-2, 14-4
2018-19 season...21-11, 10-6
2017-18 season...8-23, 6-10, Team had a big drop off in wins and losses (compared to the previous season before she arrived) in her first season. 2016-17 season (the season before she arrived...17-14, 11-7)

- 2018-19 (noted as having had the 7th youngest roster in the NCAA)

- Big drop off in the team's wins and losses her first season at Old Dominion compared to the previous season before she arrived. Picked things up dramatically over the next 2 seasons. Added Coach Keith Freeman to her staff as the associate Head Coach 2018-19, this..through the 2019-20 season as well. Freeman's an outstanding coach (including former head coaching positions), very experienced, and his career, his record speaks for it's self. My opinion..he was a huge catalyst to helping Coach McCray-Penson really get the program moving. Also, Brittany Young, especially in recruiting. That, bringing in additional players, and more time coaching up the current players that were there, learning, staff changes, and other adjustments. Also, note that Coach McCray-Penson was key to helplng Dawn Staley win a national championship the season before arriving at Old Dominion.

She got off to a very slow start (much slower start than she's currently having at Miss. State) to her coaching career at Old Dominion..but really bounced back, turned things around over the next 2 season. Why couldn't she adjust, bounce back at Miss. State as well? Also, her coaching staff appears much more than solid.

Additionally....
Player development, recruiting, and holding on to current players....big keys moving forward. Keep an eye on Temple transfer Ashley Jones (2019-20 AAC Newcomer Of The Year)..and Jasmine Shavers as players that can come in...provide immediate help. Knisha Godfrey and the other 2 high school signees. Also, staff indicated looking at the transfer route in regards to the late signing period.

DeltaChicagoDog
02-03-2021, 01:02 AM
Wow, thanks for that thorough and thoughtful response!