PDA

View Full Version : I think Cohen is the real problem.

Thick
01-17-2021, 03:07 PM
Is he batting .500 with hires or is he in the .300?s? Both of those numbers are bad dependent on how many hires he?s made. Howland won?t be coaching much longer, and by that, I mean he will retire at some point. We might have to hire a new football coach in a few years, and we might be hiring a new WBB coach in a few also. Do we really want Captain Redass making anymore hires at this point?

Someone refresh my memory. Did Captain Redass interview Johnny for the HC position, or did she just stick with Vic by choice?

KOdawg1
01-17-2021, 03:11 PM
Cann- good hire but couldn't keep it in his pants
Joe- bad hire
Lemonis- TBD but seems to be good so far
Leach- TBD
NMP- looks to be a bad hire

maroonmania
01-17-2021, 03:26 PM
The biggest problem here was losing Vic. I wish I knew the whole story but not sure I ever will. Second problem at least appears to be this hire. While it would have been almost impossible to have gotten a coach that kept things rolling at the level Schaefer did, what's going on right now is an abomination.

Thick
01-17-2021, 03:33 PM
The biggest problem here was losing Vic. I wish I knew the whole story but not sure I ever will. Second problem at least appears to be this hire. While it would have been almost impossible to have gotten a coach that kept things rolling at the level Schaefer did, what's going on right now is an abomination.

I was my understanding that we gave Vic everything that UT offered, but home is home.

maroonmania
01-17-2021, 03:36 PM
I was my understanding that we gave Vic everything that UT offered, but home is home.

Yep, we are MState. Just can't have anything nice for very long. Still wish we had tried to keep continuity with the program by hiring Harris. But no guarantee that would have worked out either.

Lord McBuckethead
01-17-2021, 03:45 PM

Vic went to Texas or aTm? Some reason I thought he went to aTm.

Santiago
01-17-2021, 03:51 PM
Is he batting .500 with hires or is he in the .300?s? Both of those numbers are bad dependent on how many hires he?s made. Howland won?t be coaching much longer, and by that, I mean he will retire at some point. We might have to hire a new football coach in a few years, and we might be hiring a new WBB coach in a few also. Do we really want Captain Redass making anymore hires at this point?

Someone refresh my memory. Did Captain Redass interview Johnny for the HC position, or did she just stick with Vic by choice?

I would like to know also, if Johnny was given a fair shake at the job, or was the initial thinking by Cohen is that we have a loaded team and will go get a homerun coach sitting already at a top 10 program to take the job.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2021, 03:51 PM
It's obvious Cohen was a mistake if for no other reason that he's the most hated AD since Templeton, and that's with traitor Stricklin in there.
People just don't like him. His own coach didn't like him. I'd love to have him as our baseball color guy. But AD was too much.

bulldogcountry1
01-17-2021, 03:54 PM
Cann- good hire but couldn't keep it in his pants
Joe- bad hire
Lemonis- TBD but seems to be good so far
Leach- TBD
NMP- looks to be a bad hire

I completely disagree that Cann was a good hire. The jury was still out on if he would have succeeded if he hadn?t got himself fired. He just inherited a loaded team with great leadership. We are just lucky Cann hired Gautreau.

Think about it. Cohen hired an assistant to run our best program. A year later, he was promising to bring in an experienced head coach who has coached at the high levels. It doesn?t add up. It was just Chapter 1 of Cohen trying to look smart.

confucius say
01-17-2021, 03:54 PM
It's obvious Cohen was a mistake if for no other reason that he's the most hated AD since Templeton, and that's with traitor Stricklin in there.
People just don't like him. His own coach didn't like him. I'd love to have him as our baseball color guy. But AD was too much.

Do people dislike Cohen more than SS?

confucius say
01-17-2021, 03:56 PM
I completely disagree that Cann was a good hire. The jury was still out on if he would have succeeded if he hadn?t got himself fired. He just inherited a loaded team with great leadership. We are just lucky Cann hired Gautreau.

Think about it. Cohen hired an assistant to run our best program. A year later, he was promising to bring in an experienced head coach who has coached at the high levels. It doesn?t add up. It was just Chapter 1 of Cohen trying to look smart.

The 2017 baseball team can inherited was nowhere close to being loaded. Nowhere close. We had 3 guys who weren't pitchers pitching in sec games multiple times.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2021, 04:01 PM
Do people dislike Cohen more than SS?

Stricklin was a better money guy. So yes.

Jarius
01-17-2021, 04:06 PM
He made a really good football hire and the opinion on him as an AD is going to shift dramatically when that becomes apparent to everyone during the 2021 football season. Football and baseball are the only 2 sports that really matter to MSU fans and he’s going to have both of them running efficiently very soon.

calidawg
01-17-2021, 04:23 PM
There is a reason that Byrne and Stricklan are where they are in their professional career. Our GameDay operations and marketing quality have gone down dramatically since they left. Stricklan and Cohen are about a wash in their coaching hiring ability but in the other areas of actually running a high quality athletic department Byrne and Stricklan are vastly better than what we have now.

Cowbell
01-17-2021, 04:28 PM
He made a really good football hire and the opinion on him as an AD is going to shift dramatically when that becomes apparent to everyone during the 2021 football season. Football and baseball are the only 2 sports that really matter to MSU fans and he?s going to have both of them running efficiently very soon.
But he failed MISERABLY the first time. I mean bad. You can not bring a non-SEC assistant into this league as a head coach. He did Joe a disservice by even hiring the guy.
And don't forget the popping off of the mouth about our baseball hire before the hire was made. Alligator mouth.

Jarius
01-17-2021, 04:33 PM
But he failed MISERABLY the first time. I mean bad. You can not bring a non-SEC assistant into this league as a head coach. He did Joe a disservice by even hiring the guy.
And don't forget the popping off of the mouth about our baseball hire before the hire was made. Alligator mouth.

I don’t disagree that he made a horrible first hire with Moorhead but the entire country applauded that hire when it happened. Results are all that matter and Mike Leach is going to win here as much as anyone we have ever had and when that happens no one will even think about wanting Cohen fired. No disrespect to women’s basketball, but no one gave a shit about it before Vic and no one will give a shit about it again once our main sports are playing well.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2021, 04:33 PM
A blind squirrel can win in baseball here. Jury is still out on Leach.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2021, 04:35 PM
I don’t disagree that he made a horrible first hire with Moorhead but the entire country applauded that hire when it happened. Results are all that matter and Mike Leach is going to win here as much as anyone we have ever had and when that happens no one will even think about wanting Cohen fired. No disrespect to women’s basketball, but no one gave a shit about it before Vic and no one will give a shit about it again once our main sports are playing well.

The entire country? Nah. One Sports Illustrated article build that up. Fact is Moorhead failed at a couple stops and was demoted and about to be fired. That was a total lack of research by Cohen.

Jarius
01-17-2021, 04:38 PM
The entire country? Nah. One Sports Illustrated article build that up. Fact is Moorhead failed at a couple stops and was demoted and about to be fired. That was a total lack of research by Cohen.

I can link way more than one article / tweet from national names that praised the Moorhead hire if you’d like. I don’t agree with Cohen or especially his wife on almost anything outside of sports but he is going to have the sports that matter here playing with excellent coaches. The biggest positive with him is he is not scared to admit he made a mistake and fire someone when that happens. He doesn’t accept mediocre coaches and when we have them he fired them immediately. That is something we have rarely had at State.

msstatelp1
01-17-2021, 05:40 PM
Vic went to Texas or aTm? Some reason I thought he went to aTm.

Grew up in Austin, went to Tam

Cowbell
01-17-2021, 05:55 PM
I can link way more than one article / tweet from national names that praised the Moorhead hire if you?d like. I don?t agree with Cohen or especially his wife on almost anything outside of sports but he is going to have the sports that matter here playing with excellent coaches. The biggest positive with him is he is not scared to admit he made a mistake and fire someone when that happens. He doesn?t accept mediocre coaches and when we have them he fired them immediately. That is something we have rarely had at State.

If this is the case, I expect to see a new WBB coach next season

The Federalist Engineer
01-17-2021, 06:13 PM
The 2017 baseball team can inherited was nowhere close to being loaded. Nowhere close. We had 3 guys who weren't pitchers pitching in sec games multiple times.

2017 was a disaster before the season started. Many of us that watch baseball most closely expected only 20-25 wins. We even joked about 0-30 in the SEC

Cannizzaro in 2017 did incredible work. Credit to great player leaders like Jake and Cody and Rooker.

Coach34
01-17-2021, 06:19 PM
If this is the case, I expect to see a new WBB coach next season

No way that happens. McCray will get 3 years minimum no matter how bad she is. JoVester would have had another year but the lack of discipline was so bad it forced his hand.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2021, 06:20 PM
I can link way more than one article / tweet from national names that praised the Moorhead hire if you?d like. I don?t agree with Cohen or especially his wife on almost anything outside of sports but he is going to have the sports that matter here playing with excellent coaches. The biggest positive with him is he is not scared to admit he made a mistake and fire someone when that happens. He doesn?t accept mediocre coaches and when we have them he fired them immediately. That is something we have rarely had at State.

They all reference one season and an SI article. He was demoted at UConn. It was all fluff by his agent. He'll, some tried to attribute Joe Brady to him. That was Payton. Saquan Barkley has now gotten two coaches jobs.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2021, 06:23 PM
No way that happens. McCray will get 3 years minimum no matter how bad she is. JoVester would have had another year but the lack of discipline was so bad it forced his hand.

Not true. She's gone after two if it's this bad for two years. There's no big buyout and there's no rebuild here.
This team lost one starter from a 27 win team. She could get fired very quickly if she can't get it right.

Coach34
01-17-2021, 06:26 PM
Not true. She's gone after two if it's this bad for two years. There's no big buyout and there's no rebuild here.
This team lost one starter from a 27 win team. She could get fired very wuickly if she can't get it right.

Not in today's social justice world. She will get at least 3.

ShotgunDawg
01-17-2021, 06:27 PM
Cohen is fine when he hires head coaches. He's the terrible when hiring assistants.

He needs a win/loss record and development track record to make a good hire while he's absolutely terrible at seeing the qualities that make good coaches good. I have some theories on the reasons for this but I'll keep them to myself.

My observation, however, is that he doesn't hire assistants that have an edge. As a HC Cohen had an edge but for whatever reason he doesn't hire head coaches that demand that.

He seems to value creativity, organization, and nice guys over people that can command the room and impose a respectful fear to the players.

shoeless joe
01-17-2021, 06:29 PM
I like some things about Cohen...but he’s making it hard to defend him at this point.

And just like politics should stay off this board they should also stay out of our athletic department decision making. But unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2021, 06:40 PM

Meh, if she runs into a ditch, she's gone. We fired Moorhead after two years. Cohen wanted him gone sooner. He's not going to sit around and watch the top program on campus come completely apart.

KOdawg1
01-17-2021, 06:44 PM

Cann took a depleted pitching staff to a super regional. He was also recruiting at a high level. He was a good hire.

R2Dawg
01-17-2021, 06:54 PM

Nicki had a great player resume but she had basically Moorhead HC resume. It was a bad, bad hire for a program sitting in one of top in the nation. We were #2 in nation previous 4 year stretch only a few wins behind Uconn. We were one of top programs in nation and we hire a HC with little to no HC experience?? There were some major risks if Cohen had done his homework.

maroonmania
01-17-2021, 07:03 PM

Its possible for her to be gone after only 2 years but it would take something like missing the NCAA tournament both years which is a low, low bar to get over with all the talent she has to work with.

Thick
01-17-2021, 07:06 PM
No one has answered my question. Did we interview Johnny for the WBB HC position, or did she choose to go with Vic to UT?

maroonmania
01-17-2021, 07:10 PM
Nicki had a great player resume but she had basically Moorhead HC resume. It was a bad, bad hire for a program sitting in one of top in the nation. We were #2 in nation previous 4 year stretch only a few wins behind Uconn. We were one of top programs in nation and we hire a HC with little to no HC experience?? There were some major risks if Cohen had done his homework.

Was there another proven P5 women's basketball HC willing to come? I don't know. I would have preferred Harris over what we did but there would have been risk with that as well because Johnnie Harris had no HC experience. NMP had 2 twenty plus win years at ODU but that is CUSA so its certainly not the competition level of the major conferences.

maroonmania
01-17-2021, 07:11 PM
No one has answered my question. Did we interview Johnny for the WBB HC position, or did she choose to go with Vic to UT?

Yes, Cohen definitely interviewed her. She didn't officially take the job with Vic until after we offered our job to NMP.

Tbonewannabe
01-17-2021, 07:14 PM

Yep, after injuries we didn't have a SEC pitching staff. Canny did about as good of a job that first year as you could hope for.

was21
01-17-2021, 08:01 PM
Whether Leach was a good hire remains to be seen.

CaptainObvious
01-17-2021, 08:14 PM
Whether Leach was a good hire remains to be seen.

The hire was good based on a 20 year track record. Even Howland had a very solid track record.

Moorhead, Cannizzaro and McCray-Penson had no such track record. The talent level MSU recruits at in Baseball makes the hire of Lemonis look good so far. He looks to actually be stepping that recruiting level up, but apparently he was already a solid recruiter before coming to State.

Coach34
01-17-2021, 08:40 PM
Meh, if she runs into a ditch, she's gone. We fired Moorhead after two years. Cohen wanted him gone sooner. He's not going to sit around and watch the top program on campus come completely apart.

Cohen didnt fire Moorhead until he got permission to do it. She will get 3 years in today's climate unless she misses the NCAA's 2 straight years- and I dont see that happening with the talent she has.

basedog
01-17-2021, 08:45 PM
Not sure we will be back at level Vic took our women’s program. I’ve seen several Sec programs having recalling good years only to turn into average at best.
Tn, Ga, Om, LSU and now probably MSU.

shoeless joe
01-17-2021, 08:49 PM

Supposedly she figured she would get it...don’t blame her...and was not happy when we went another direction

Coach34
01-17-2021, 08:53 PM
Cohen interviewed her and passed her over. And here we are

Todd4State
01-17-2021, 11:48 PM
The problem is Cohen had zero AD experience when he took our job. We basically have the Cohen as baseball coach at Northwestern State as AD right now relatively speaking. He has made mistakes with almost every hire even the ones he got right. And then you add in the poor marketing aspect. Basically we have a former alum playing around as AD and the fat cats in the AD are good with that because Cohen has no clue if they are good at their job or not. What we needed after Stricklin was someone from outside the MSU family to kick some people in the ass and push them a little bit and trim fat where needed. Instead we got the next branch in the LT tree of MSU athletic directors.

Byrne was so good because he had the vision to change things where necessary and wasn't afraid to rock the boat for the better of the AD.

Let's run down Cohen's hires a little closer:

BASEBALL

Cann- I'll give him a pass because it's hard to hire a coach in the fall in baseball. In hindsight he should have just made Henderson the interim and then did a proper search. Essentially that ended up happening anyway when Cann flamed out. The truth is Tulane passed on Cann because he had a history of having affairs. Cohen took a chance on him and got burned. Honestly, Cann would have been better served as either being a scout or a hitting coach in college. Cohen typically hires guys like Cann or Moorhead because when Cohen was the baseball coach he could be the bad cop and manage things and then let the Cann's and Butch Thompson's be the good cops. The thing is as an AD the role is completely different than being a baseball coach and now he doesn't have the reign to lead and manage the programs like he used to and thus people he has hired who would be better suited as assistants have too much control over their programs and we get what we see with Moorhead and McCray-Penson.

Lemonis- Good hire but mismanaged by Cohen because he made promises he couldn't keep and essentially killed our leverage with Schlossnagle. Bad management 101 right there. And even worse it put Lemonis in a bad spot because he didn't have the lofty credentials promised by Cohen.

FOOTBALL

Moorhead- I think Cohen's inexperience bit him in the ass because he got advice from former MSU AD's on who to hire and then came up with the "rising assistants only" BS. At least he fixed this with the next hire because pretty much every candidate I had heard mentioned had head coaching experience in D1. If he had hired Leach in 2018 and then brought in Minchew that season is completely different. And then 2019 was a waste and 2020 then became a rebuild.

Leach- I think he will be a good hire and sure it's TBA at this point but Leach is following the same pattern he has at Texas Tech and Wazzu. Cohen giving Arnett a big buyout was a good move that he deserves credit for- under previous AD's Arnett would probably be in Baton Rouge right now. I think our football program is moving in the right direction and by 2022-2023 we'll be very happy once our current freshmen become juniors and seniors.

BASKETBALL

McCray-Penson- An adjustment is understandable but it really shouldn't be this much of an adjustment. I'm not sure what to make of her yet and it is only year one but I'm not real encouraged at all by her. Seems like Joe Moorhead 2.0.

preachermatt83
01-18-2021, 10:02 AM
Cohen interviewed her and passed her over. And here we are

We got who Nelle wanted.

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2021, 10:06 AM
While I realize that hiring people is very difficult, it would be encouraging to see Cohen get the 1st hire correct at some point in time. It would show that he's learned something.

At this point, when literally every single 1st hire is bad, it's hard to figure out what Cohen's value is. I know he cares & he usually gives coaches the resources they need to be successful, but something appears really off his ability to find an adult that can control the room & run the business of whatever sport he is hiring for.

TrapGame
01-18-2021, 11:23 AM

The first clue with Moorhead should have been James Franklin helping him pack and backing the moving van up to his front door at 5am. He couldn't wait to get that guy gone. Huge red flag.

BiscuitEater
01-18-2021, 11:38 AM
Fact is Moorhead failed at a couple stops and was demoted and about to be fired. That was a total lack of research by Cohen.

Not anything I read. Going to need some links! Easy to say .. but need some proof!

Jarius
01-18-2021, 11:43 AM
The first clue with Moorhead should have been James Franklin helping him pack and backing the moving van up to his front door at 5am. He couldn't wait to get that guy gone. Huge red flag.

I bet he wishes he could move his ass back in at this point.

BiscuitEater
01-18-2021, 12:03 PM
Cohen is fine when he hires head coaches. He's the terrible when hiring assistants.

You do realize that both Nikki McCray-Penson and Cann hires totally blow up your argument!

Cann, an 'assistant' hire, proved in one year he was a great hire. Nothing in his past pointed to his 'issue.' He was an assistant with an 'edge,' and made great hires! He just went off the rails.

Meanwhile, Nikki McCray-Penson is a proven HC, with pedigree and track record! She won conference Coach of the Year in 2020.

RougeDawg
01-18-2021, 12:18 PM
You do realize that both Nikki McCray-Penson and Cann hires totally blow up your argument!

Cann, an 'assistant' hire, proved in one year he was a great hire. Nothing in his past pointed to his 'issue.' He was an assistant with an 'edge,' and made great hires! He just went off the rails.

Meanwhile, Nikki McCray-Penson is a proven HC, with pedigree and track record! She won conference Coach of the Year in 2020.

Cann?s history was already checkered with his issues. LSU coaches and other personnel warned Johnny. Even media persons gave Cohen a warning. Many people close to LSU were surprised he was hired after telling JC everything about him.

Carry on the conversation.

maroonmania
01-18-2021, 12:28 PM

Not sure why Franklin would have been eager to get rid of Moorhead. Franklin's offense was very anemic before JM got there as the OC. Enough so that his job status was getting shaky.

TrapGame
01-18-2021, 12:42 PM
Not sure why Franklin would have been eager to get rid of Moorhead. Franklin's offense was very anemic before JM got there as the OC. Enough so that his job status was getting shaky.

Moorhead's offense was shit at Penn State until Franklin put a leash on him as play caller. And having Saquon Barkley didn't hurt either.

Dawgology
01-18-2021, 12:48 PM
He is

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2021, 01:20 PM
For those that think Cohen hires for political reasons, remember that Leach is likely the most outward pro Trump head coach in America in any sport.

I don't think politics have anything to do with his decision making. I do think he's light on considering temperament and discipline

Cooterpoot
01-18-2021, 01:34 PM
For those that think Cohen hires for political reasons, remember that Leach is likely the most outward pro Trump head coach in America in any sport.

I don't think politics have anything to do with his decision making. I do think he's light on considering temperament and discipline

Yeah, I don't see the politics. I just see a guy that sucks at hiring. He sure has hired a bunch of "players coaches" that seem to lack the maturity to bring discipline, focus, and team concepts. Weird considering he was a hard ass.

preachermatt83
01-18-2021, 01:58 PM

Cohen hired leach the same way Strick hired Howland. It wasn’t his call.

Homedawg
01-18-2021, 02:02 PM

hahahahahahaha

Jarius
01-18-2021, 02:36 PM

These are my favorite posts. If he isn’t hiring coaches then maybe we should start a thread about the men behind the curtain making the hires instead of Cohen. The idea that some rich guys that haven’t played sports past pee wee had to come in and tell our athletic director who coached and played at the highest of levels how to make a football hire that would not suck is hilarious. Any good hire we have ever had has not come from our actual AD according to some message board folks. It is hilarious that no one that claims other people made our good hires will ever step out and claim for the shitty hires we have made. Those are always on the AD and the know it all boosters have to step in and save the day with the wonderful hires.

BuckyIsAB****
01-18-2021, 03:31 PM
We got who Nelle wanted.

I see that mentioned a lot on here, if it has any truth to it at all we got problems

AROB44
01-18-2021, 03:31 PM
These are my favorite posts. If he isn?t hiring coaches then maybe we should start a thread about the men behind the curtain making the hires instead of Cohen. The idea that some rich guys that haven?t played sports past pee wee had to come in and tell our athletic director who coached and played at the highest of levels how to make a football hire that would not suck is hilarious. Any good hire we have ever had has not come from our actual AD according to some message board folks. It is hilarious that no one that claims other people made our good hires will ever step out and claim for the shitty hires we have made. Those are always on the AD and the know it all boosters have to step in and save the day with the wonderful hires.

Rep given!!

Todd4State
01-18-2021, 04:27 PM
I see that mentioned a lot on here, if it has any truth to it at all we got problems

It doesn't. If it did we wouldn't have hired Leach.

I mean- Nelle made one tweet during the height of BLM and now she runs our AD? LOL.

preachermatt83
01-18-2021, 05:05 PM
It doesn't. If it did we wouldn't have hired Leach.

I mean- Nelle made one tweet during the height of BLM and now she runs our AD? LOL.

Cohen wasn’t the one who made the call on leach. That is a fact. And Nelle has a great deal of say in what Cohen does according to people who are friends of theirs. And those around the office.

Dogbone
01-18-2021, 05:11 PM
Cohen wasn’t the one who made the call on leach. That is a fact. And Nelle has a great deal of say in what Cohen does according to people who are friends of theirs. And those around the office.

Wait! Nellle hired Leach!

IMissJack
01-18-2021, 05:14 PM
There is a reason that Byrne and Stricklan are where they are in their professional career. Our GameDay operations and marketing quality have gone down dramatically since they left. Stricklan and Cohen are about a wash in their coaching hiring ability but in the other areas of actually running a high quality athletic department Byrne and Stricklan are vastly better than what we have now.

This is absolutely the answer. And how did they become so good at it? Because Byrne?s dad was an AD at TX A&M and elsewhere, so he grew up in it. But not only that, he and Stricklin were assistants at other programs and had time to see what works and what does not. They came up through the ranks. An AD position in the SEC is not a place to learn on the job, there is too much money at stake. We need to hire people with experience and a good track record, not someone just because they are an alum.

Todd4State
01-18-2021, 05:30 PM

Yeah. And I bet your wife tells her friends that she has a lot of say as far as your church decisions too.

Dawgfan77
01-18-2021, 05:44 PM
UT with no AD is currently better run than our AD. Ask around and see how much micromanaging goes inside our program. Look no further than our trip to Tampa a few years ago. We hired the men's assistant coach in golf as women's HC...

Homedawg
01-18-2021, 05:48 PM

aight.....................................

Homedawg
01-18-2021, 05:55 PM

you have to be lying, JC doesn't have any friends. He doesn't want any friends. So there's that.

Todd4State
01-18-2021, 05:56 PM
UT with no AD is currently better run than our AD. Ask around and see how much micromanaging goes inside our program. Look no further than our trip to Tampa a few years ago. We hired the men's assistant coach in golf as women's HC...

Micromanaging? It seems to me like he lets certain people do their thing and has no idea if they're good at their job or not.

I do remember the plane fiasco where Cohen went cheap for the Outback Bowl.

Dawgfan77
01-18-2021, 05:59 PM
Micromanaging? It seems to me like he lets certain people do their thing and has no idea if they're good at their job or not.

I do remember the plane fiasco where Cohen went cheap for the Outback Bowl.
The IB has his hands in everything. Was asked to leave some practices....

MedDawg
01-18-2021, 06:15 PM

Bark
01-18-2021, 06:17 PM

Since he has taken over the energy in our athletics department is just not good. He has seemingly ruined the culture and positivity.

maroonmania
01-18-2021, 06:18 PM
We got who Nelle wanted.

Not sure what box NMP would have checked for Nelle that wouldn't have also been checked with JH.

maroonmania
01-18-2021, 06:40 PM
Moorhead's offense was shit at Penn State until Franklin put a leash on him as play caller. And having Saquon Barkley didn't hurt either.

Not really following. The 2 years before Moorhead came to Penn St. (2014-2015) Franklin's offense ranked 111th and 105th in total offense. The 2 years Moorhead was there (2016-2017) they ranked 49th and 19th. A lot of people at the time thought Moorhead probably saved Franklin's job.

TimberBeast
01-18-2021, 06:49 PM

The hire as women?s golf coach is not a bad hire. There was a ton of support there for that.

Dawgfan77
01-18-2021, 06:57 PM
The hire as women?s golf coach is not a bad hire. There was a ton of support there for that.

You know why right. Alley is his wife. Other than that no other qualifications. I know your situation but ask yourself this. What SEC golf program hires a men's assistant as HC for women. Lazy hire. JC is not a good AD

Todd4State
01-18-2021, 07:06 PM

Under Leach and Moorhead? I could definitely understand why he would be at some of Moorhead's practices considering what was going on at the time.

Todd4State
01-18-2021, 07:08 PM
Not really following. The 2 years before Moorhead came to Penn St. (2014-2015) Franklin's offense ranked 111th and 105th in total offense. The 2 years Moorhead was there (2016-2017) they ranked 49th and 19th. A lot of people at the time thought Moorhead probably saved Franklin's job.

I think Moorhead is a good OC but maybe not a good head coach. That said, I think someone will give him another chance to be a head coach at some point and he may turn out like Coach O if he lands in the right place. I think he might be a good fit somewhere like Stanford where the players police themselves pretty well.

TheLostDawg
01-18-2021, 07:21 PM
Cann?s history was already checkered with his issues. LSU coaches and other personnel warned Johnny. Even media persons gave Cohen a warning. Many people close to LSU were surprised he was hired after telling JC everything about him.

Carry on the conversation.

Cohen never called Mainieri. That should have been the first sign Cohen was going to have to learn on the job. Worked out ( because he knew Can and how great and full of promise he has) until it didn't (because of personal issues which might have persuaded Cohen if he'd have called the right people).

Todd4State
01-18-2021, 07:26 PM
Cohen never called Mainieri. That should have been the first sign Cohen was going to have to learn on the job. Worked out ( because he knew Can and how great and full of promise he has) until it didn't (because of personal issues which might have persuaded Cohen if he'd have called the right people).

With Cohen's baseball connections I'm 99% sure he knew about Cann's issues.

I think he rolled the dice because of MSU's "small town" environment.

RocketDawg
01-18-2021, 07:32 PM
What happened to the previous women's golf coach? As I recall she was just hired two or three years ago.

Cowbell
01-18-2021, 07:51 PM
This thread has been fun to follow - assumptions based on assumptions based on assumptions

Bark
01-18-2021, 08:02 PM
This thread has been fun to follow - assumptions based on assumptions based on assumptions

Please give us the facts based on facts based on facts on why he's the most qualified to run our athletic department, how much success he's had in hiring coaches or just coaching searches in general, the buzz he's created through creative marketing, gameday operations, fan involvement and experience, brand advancement, and morale of the Athletic department.

Homedawg
01-18-2021, 08:06 PM
What happened to the previous women's golf coach? As I recall she was just hired two or three years ago.

She's been here while. But she was canned for failing to follow covid protocol.

Homedawg
01-18-2021, 08:08 PM
You know why right. Alley is his wife. Other than that no other qualifications. I know your situation but ask yourself this. What SEC golf program hires a men's assistant as HC for women. Lazy hire. JC is not a good AD

Hiring mid season is never easy. But I have no idea about women's golf.

Dawgfan77
01-18-2021, 08:16 PM
No assumptions JC tries to inject in all sports how they are to be run. Just ask around. JC thinks he knows best in every sport.
We are the most dysfunctional AD in the SEC

RougeDawg
01-18-2021, 08:28 PM

When did I mention Manieri and are land lines the only methods of communication?

Everyone in and around the LSU program and athletic department knew about the issues. Local sports media did as well, some of which I know well and speak with regarding topics such as this. The Sean Payton juicy details are pretty damn good too. The beloved ones are protected in these parts.

Dawg2003
01-18-2021, 08:52 PM
She's been here while. But she was canned for failing to follow covid protocol.

So what about the softball coach that was recently let go?

Cowbell
01-18-2021, 09:39 PM
Please give us the facts based on facts based on facts on why he's the most qualified to run our athletic department, how much success he's had in hiring coaches or just coaching searches in general, the buzz he's created through creative marketing, gameday operations, fan involvement and experience, brand advancement, and morale of the Athletic department.
I am not a JC fan - he's a terrible AD. I was being honest about it being fun to follow. But there are a lot of wrong assumptions in the last two pages.

Cowbell
01-18-2021, 09:41 PM
No assumptions JC tries to inject in all sports how they are to be run. Just ask around. JC thinks he knows best in every sport.

The assumptions go both ways. Some assumptions are for him. I would fire him today.

confucius say
01-18-2021, 10:21 PM

TN and vandy say hi. LSU too.

Todd4State
01-18-2021, 10:56 PM
TN and vandy say hi. LSU too.

And I've heard rumors about Georgia being investigated soon.

We're just outdated more than anything.

Reunion Dog
01-19-2021, 02:24 AM
Cohen's 2nd in command is a red head that enjoys the carpet buffet..

She is such a damn joke she can't even get hired by her home school... LA Tech...

The Ath Dept is a 17 joke... Has been for a while and will continue to untill someone goes in there and expects accountability...

Just because Nelle does or doesn't like you... shouldn't be the barromiter on which someone's job security rests...

Don't think this is true?... Do some investigating....

BLOW IT ALL UP!!

TrapGame
01-19-2021, 09:16 AM

Moorhead's magical offense was totally inept for almost half the first season. Then it "clicked". That's bc Franklin limited the plays Moorhead could call. He put him on a leash. Moorhead as the decision man is a disaster. How the hell he made it at Fordham must be bc of the talent difference he had compared to everyone else in the Patriot League.

BB30
01-19-2021, 02:27 PM
Cann was just a calculated risk we took. Had he been able to stay in check and not do dumb sh** he would have been very very successful here.

The guy was good at what he did. Unfortunately, he couldn't keep it together.

Randolph Dupree
01-19-2021, 05:08 PM
Cann was just a calculated risk we took. Had he been able to stay in check and not do dumb sh** he would have been very very successful here.

This is not untrue but there were rumors about some of his issues dating all the way back to his days as a player. As an AD you can't let that go unchecked.

Mobile Bay
01-19-2021, 05:30 PM
Cohen's 2nd in command is a red head that enjoys the carpet buffet..

She is such a damn joke she can't even get hired by her home school... LA Tech...

The Ath Dept is a 17 joke... Has been for a while and will continue to untill someone goes in there and expects accountability...

Just because Nelle does or doesn't like you... shouldn't be the barromiter on which someone's job security rests...

Don't think this is true?... Do some investigating....

BLOW IT ALL UP!!

You must not be very bright either. She left La Tech to come to state.

SPMT
01-19-2021, 05:50 PM
Hiring mid season is never easy. But I have no idea about women's golf.

Right. Who gives a 17 about women's golf. There are 3 hires that matter, the rest are bs - Football, Baseball, Basketball.

Duckdog
01-19-2021, 06:49 PM

He's so good that hes coaching baseball in La for some years now. Man get out of here with that shit

Coach34
01-19-2021, 07:26 PM
He's so good that hes coaching baseball in La for some years now. Man get out of here with that shit

Cann was very good- he just got some ***** that made him lose focus. Hell, it happens. Ask Hud, Pitino, and Petrino.

Cann has to let some time pass and he will get another shot eventually

Todd4State
01-19-2021, 07:32 PM
Cann was very good- he just got some ***** that made him lose focus. Hell, it happens. Ask Hud, Pitino, and Petrino.

Cann has to let some time pass and he will get another shot eventually

I don't know. It has been over three years and he can't even get a job at Eastern Kentucky.

If I were in his shoes I'd get back into scouting or maybe go coach in the minor leagues.