PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Roster is posted on website!

MsStateBaseball
01-08-2021, 06:56 PM
The aforementioned 4 players aren?t on there. We are down to 46.

HoopsDawg
01-08-2021, 07:50 PM
How many more have to be cut?

MsStateBaseball
01-08-2021, 08:39 PM
Unlimited roster this year. A few will be redshirted. The problem is trying to get enough innings to satisfy players. That?s why the 4 left bc there were no innings. They may tell a few more before the season. I don?t know.

Homedawg
01-08-2021, 10:49 PM
Each player has had a meeting they all know what to expect as far as potential PT

BiscuitEater
01-09-2021, 08:02 AM
Great to have a roster .. now, we need a schedule! Anyone got a clue when it gets done?

William Tecumsah Sherman
01-09-2021, 08:46 AM
Who are the aforementioned 4?

basedog
01-09-2021, 10:48 AM
Interesting season ahead. Lots of young talent.

MsStateBaseball
01-09-2021, 11:20 AM
Blayze Berry, Peyton Puckett, Riley Watkins and Jack Eagan

Leeshouldveflanked
01-09-2021, 03:35 PM
Tupelo played a 1A team in the Spring and the 1A catcher performed better than Puckett...

preachermatt83
01-09-2021, 08:03 PM
Why is berry not on there??

Homedawg
01-09-2021, 08:36 PM
Why is berry not on there??

Be he left at the break

Leeshouldveflanked
01-10-2021, 09:03 AM
I forgot about Berry... he played Cotton States in New Albany this summer.... had a .095 batting average and a 12.7 era in 10 games...

basedog
01-10-2021, 09:09 AM
Cade Smith will be gong to play summer ball at the Cape.

Hambone
01-10-2021, 09:15 AM
I forgot about Berry... he played Cotton States in New Albany this summer.... had a .095 batting average and a 12.7 era in 10 games...

Woof

MsStateBaseball
01-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Don?t forget, Lemonis didn?t recruit some of these kids. He?s keeping the word of the commitment. Then when they get here, it?s based on talent versus talent. Plus the big roster doesn?t help.

Todd4State
01-11-2021, 02:05 AM
Since it's looking like we'll be having three game weekends...

I actually think that plays up to our pitching depth even better than a three game weekend.

MacLeoud, Bednar, and Cerentola should be our rotation.

Spencer Price is an experienced closer. But I like Landon Sims stuff better.

Midweek could be a number of guys- Brandon Smith depending on where he is in his rehab, Cade Smith, Houston Harding and Carlisle Koestler are likely candidates there.

Logan Tanner is a potential high pick at catcher in a couple of years and Luke Hancock is a really good catcher as well. We're pretty deep there.

Josh Hatcher should be at first, Scott Bubrule at second, Kellum Clark at third, and Kamren James at SS. Two seniors and then two young but high end talent players.

Outfield has a couple of seniors in Tanner Allen and Rowdey Jordan who can play. The other spot will be up for grabs between Pimentel, Brayland Skinner, and Cumbest. I suspect the DH will be whoever isn't catching that day.

Good veteran team on paper with a lot of high end arms and a veteran group of hitters even though there isn't a Rooker or Renfroe type or a Mangum/Frazier type of contact hitter.

Todd4State
01-11-2021, 02:07 AM
Don?t forget, Lemonis didn?t recruit some of these kids. He?s keeping the word of the commitment. Then when they get here, it?s based on talent versus talent. Plus the big roster doesn?t help.

Berry and Puckett were always redshirt candidates. In today's SEC there aren't very many of those that end up staying around. Eagan wanted to start but was fairly productive as a relief pitcher. Watkins was a JUCO guy that had some injury issues if I remember correctly.

BiscuitEater
01-11-2021, 09:28 AM

Please explain! Lemonis was hired in 2018, Jake Gautreau has been around three + years. So, 'anyone' this staff didn't recruit has been at State for 3-4 years.

'Who' would be on the team that Lemonis is 'keeping the word of the commitment?'

Johnson85
01-11-2021, 09:43 AM
Please explain! Lemonis was hired in 2018, Jake Gautreau has been around three + years. So, 'anyone' this staff didn't recruit has been at State for 3-4 years.

'Who' would be on the team that Lemonis is 'keeping the word of the commitment?'

I think he means a lot of the upperclassmen would have committed to MSU before Lemonis was hired b/c baseball recruits commit so early. So even people that got to campus in 2020 could have committed prior to Lemonis being hired in 2018 (this would have meant they committed as basically a sophomore in high school), and Lemonis honored their commitments if they had made them. Not sure how accurate that is b/c I don't keep up with baseball recruiting, but I do know that they tend to commit earlier than football or basketball recruits.

Homedawg
01-11-2021, 10:31 AM
We have people that still haven't signed that committed prior to lemonis taking the job.

Homedawg
01-11-2021, 10:32 AM

I actually think that plays up to our pitching depth even better than a three game weekend.

MacLeoud, Bednar, and Cerentola should be our rotation.

Spencer Price is an experienced closer. But I like Landon Sims stuff better.

Midweek could be a number of guys- Brandon Smith depending on where he is in his rehab, Cade Smith, Houston Harding and Carlisle Koestler are likely candidates there.

Logan Tanner is a potential high pick at catcher in a couple of years and Luke Hancock is a really good catcher as well. We're pretty deep there.

Josh Hatcher should be at first, Scott Bubrule at second, Kellum Clark at third, and Kamren James at SS. Two seniors and then two young but high end talent players.

Outfield has a couple of seniors in Tanner Allen and Rowdey Jordan who can play. The other spot will be up for grabs between Pimentel, Brayland Skinner, and Cumbest. I suspect the DH will be whoever isn't catching that day.

Good veteran team on paper with a lot of high end arms and a veteran group of hitters even though there isn't a Rooker or Renfroe type or a Mangum/Frazier type of contact hitter.

Tullar is going to help quickly and kyte McDonald are both going to factor in at their spots as well.

Johnson85
01-11-2021, 11:18 AM
We have people that still haven't signed that committed prior to lemonis taking the job.

Are those commitments really commitments on either side? I guess those projections work out enough that people keep offering, but what happens when a ninth grader with all the tools commits and just stops progressing? Do we just tell them they're welcome to come but it doesn't look like they will get playing time and may not be on the roster after their freshman year? Or do we pull their offer?

Johnson85
01-11-2021, 11:19 AM

I was really hoping we'd do four game weekends this year with the larger rosters. I get that everybody doesn't have the pitching depth even with the bigger rosters, but would have been fun to have that much baseball, and would have made it easier to keep developing guys with a crowded roster.

The Federalist Engineer
01-11-2021, 11:21 AM
Tullar is going to help quickly and kyte McDonald are both going to factor in at their spots as well.

I am excited that Kyte McDonald has emerged as a factor. We are too left-handed without one or two more hitters emerging.

Outside of know contributors like K James and L Tanner we don't have any other experienced everyday right-handed hitters. Rowdey is a Switch hitter...then that's it on the proven guys.

After that, you will need Brad Cumbest and Tanner leggett to start hitting. BC could be great, but he's a part timer with no fall ball.

Kace Garner is the other Right-Handed possibility. Awesome hitting stats in JC but probably needs a different field position to play frequently.

TStationDawg
01-11-2021, 11:23 AM
Are those commitments really commitments on either side? I guess those projections work out enough that people keep offering, but what happens when a ninth grader with all the tools commits and just stops progressing? Do we just tell them they're welcome to come but it doesn't look like they will get playing time and may not be on the roster after their freshman year? Or do we pull their offer?

Yeah, I've been curious on how this works as well. Seems like big schools can offer and accept unlimited commits and then just pick and choose come signing day or even worse, during fall ball??

MsStateBaseball
01-11-2021, 11:24 AM
I know of one offer pulled bc of the coaching change. Can?t remember the name.

Doesn?t matter, it happens in each sport. Coach wants a certain type of player. I suspect that Peyton and Berry were walk ons. New coaches always weed out players. Cohen did it when he came back. Spilt milk. Move on.

trob115
01-11-2021, 10:43 PM
I am excited that Kyte McDonald has emerged as a factor. We are too left-handed without one or two more hitters emerging.

Outside of know contributors like K James and L Tanner we don't have any other experienced everyday right-handed hitters. Rowdey is a Switch hitter...then that's it on the proven guys.

After that, you will need Brad Cumbest and Tanner leggett to start hitting. BC could be great, but he's a part timer with no fall ball.

Kace Garner is the other Right-Handed possibility. Awesome hitting stats in JC but probably needs a different field position to play frequently.

Leggett can't hit his way out of a wet paper sack. Don't count on him in any way from the plate. He's a good defensive sub

FISHDAWG
01-14-2021, 12:56 PM
one of these guys is my cousin ... nice shot there

https://twitter.com/HailStateStool/status/1349570857430097920