PDA

View Full Version : So is Arnett staying or leaving?

Jack Lambert
01-07-2021, 07:16 PM
Ok you guys who know the Cigar Boys. Let us Peasants know.

Todd4State
01-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Reading between the lines as a peasant I would only be concerned if LSU hires Cincinnati's DC.

msstate7
01-07-2021, 07:24 PM
Reading between the lines as a peasant I would only be concerned if LSU hires Cincinnati's DC.

Don't follow

R2Dawg
01-07-2021, 07:25 PM
Ok you guys who know the Cigar Boys. Let us Peasants know.

Don't know what is going to happen but with some big programs potentially open, I'm a little concerned but I also think we are not in as bad a spot as some may think.

Appears Arnett is somewhat happy here but that don't mean he is staying.

StarkVegasSteve
01-07-2021, 07:34 PM
Don't follow

Marcus Freeman is the Cincinnati DC. It's rumored he's number 1 on LSU and ND's list. If ND loses out on him most believe that Arnett is next on their list.

msbulldog
01-07-2021, 07:35 PM
Freeman is not going to LSU, short time job.

msstate7
01-07-2021, 07:42 PM
Marcus Freeman is the Cincinnati DC. It's rumored he's number 1 on LSU and ND's list. If ND loses out on him most believe that Arnett is next on their list.

Thanks

Homedawg
01-07-2021, 07:43 PM
Don't know what is going to happen but with some big programs potentially open, I'm a little concerned but I also think we are not in as bad a spot as some may think.

Appears Arnett is somewhat happy here but that don't mean he is staying.
This is pretty accurate. He likes it here. But you there is reason for concern.

Todd4State
01-07-2021, 07:45 PM
This is pretty accurate. He likes it here. But you there is reason for concern.

The price of hiring good people.

MetEdDawg
01-07-2021, 07:46 PM
Bo Bounds apparently said we have a $2 million buyout in Arnett's contract.

Is that true? If so, our administration is finally giving us some much needed security in keeping coaches. That would be huge for us if we did that.

Todd4State
01-07-2021, 08:27 PM
Bo Bounds apparently said we have a $2 million buyout in Arnett's contract.

Is that true? If so, our administration is finally giving us some much needed security in keeping coaches. That would be huge for us if we did that.

Yes. And we're paying him over a million dollars as well. We're a pretty good job and it's going to take a blue blood to take one of our coaches and not a lateral move.

Dawgology
01-07-2021, 08:48 PM
Yes. And we're paying him over a million dollars as well. We're a pretty good job and it's going to take a blue blood to take one of our coaches and not a lateral move.

We need to get to the point where our coordinators are paid well enough that they would only leave for HC jobs. Someone like Arnett will 100% a head coach at some point. He?s that good. We lock him in with a huge buyout, pay him top 20 coordinator salary and name him Assistant Head coach.

Consistency in coordinators will result in even better results on the field.

Coach34
01-07-2021, 08:53 PM
We just wont ever be there. The Blue bloods will always rob the middle class. Thats just life

basedog
01-07-2021, 09:05 PM
We just wont ever be there. The Blue bloods will always rob the middle class. Thats just life

I agree, plus as you’ve stated Coaches move around, for many reasons. Expecting assistants to stay for long periods are over now days.

MetEdDawg
01-07-2021, 09:20 PM
I agree, plus as you’ve stated Coaches move around, for many reasons. Expecting assistants to stay for long periods are over now days.

The buyout to me is the big thing. Have we ever had a buyout for a coordinator this big? $2 million is a pretty hefty tag and doesn't sound like something we've exercised in the past.

If so, is that Leach pushing for that? I like it no matter who pushed for it, but it seems like a high number for us given our past.

basedog
01-07-2021, 09:41 PM
The buyout to me is the big thing. Have we ever had a buyout for a coordinator this big? $2 million is a pretty hefty tag and doesn't sound like something we've exercised in the past.

If so, is that Leach pushing for that? I like it no matter who pushed for it, but it seems like a high number for us given our past.

I’m sure it goes down each year. Seems like a good deal as he was or did the most impressive job.

Homedawg
01-07-2021, 10:30 PM
The price of hiring good people.

Yep exactly

Homedawg
01-07-2021, 10:34 PM
We need to get to the point where our coordinators are paid well enough that they would only leave for HC jobs. Someone like Arnett will 100% a head coach at some point. He?s that good. We lock him in with a huge buyout, pay him top 20 coordinator salary and name him Assistant Head coach.

Consistency in coordinators will result in even better results on the field.
Just isn't going to happen. You'd have to pay the most of any team and it still wouldn't stop the poaching

Homedawg
01-07-2021, 10:35 PM

It is good. But whoever wants him will pay that 2 mil and laugh. Not a big deal.

SPMT
01-07-2021, 11:15 PM

Yep. Short of double the athletic budget and then some, plus vision to position the image differently/in a unique way.

We are a LONG way from the image thing. I saw a post regarding social media increase among athletic departments. Didn?t see us anywhere close to the top. Guess who is.....yep, Ole Miss. Plus lots of blue blood.

TheLostDawg
01-08-2021, 04:22 AM
How much are we paying Moorhead and how long.

Or did we get out of that unscathed

Leeshouldveflanked
01-08-2021, 05:22 AM
Yep. Short of double the athletic budget and then some, plus vision to position the image differently/in a unique way.

We are a LONG way from the image thing. I saw a post regarding social media increase among athletic departments. Didn?t see us anywhere close to the top. Guess who is.....yep, Ole Miss. Plus lots of blue blood.

That?s because Cohen doesn?t think marketing, media, Brand Building are important.... unless he is doing baseball radio commentary with Jim Ellis or his Podcast. Stricklin/Byrne had us going in the right direction on Marketing/Media/Social media. Now, we are not even trying to build a brand and have gotten away from things like #Hailstate, StarkVegas and Maroon Fridays.... Vic had a lot people in Mississippi wearing PTLGD shirts. Dave Emerick is doing some good stuff with Football. To me we should try to build a brand around STATE.

SPMT
01-08-2021, 07:12 AM
That?s because Cohen doesn?t think marketing, media, Brand Building are important.... unless he is doing baseball radio commentary with Jim Ellis or his Podcast. Stricklin/Byrne had us going in the right direction on Marketing/Media/Social media. Now, we are not even trying to build a brand and have gotten away from things like #Hailstate, StarkVegas and Maroon Fridays.... Vic had a lot people in Mississippi wearing PTLGD shirts. Dave Emerick is doing some good stuff with Football. To me we should try to build a brand around STATE.

Totally agree. No vision from Cohen, at least no communicated one.

BrunswickDawg
01-08-2021, 08:23 AM

People on here bitched incessantly about how stupid #HailState and StarkVegas are - and not just one or two people. I also remember a whole lot of people wanting Strick run out of here and were happy when he went to UF.
At least our fans are consistent***

basedog
01-08-2021, 08:45 AM
People on here bitched incessantly about how stupid #HailState and StarkVegas are - and not just one or two people. I also remember a whole lot of people wanting Strick run out of here and were happy when he went to UF.

Bruns. I wouldn't put too much stock on the bitching, it's a message board and it is on all message boards especially in the Sec. We have come a loonnnggggg ways in StarkVegas. Now back to folks ready to jump off the bridge***

BrunswickDawg
01-08-2021, 08:52 AM
Bruns. I wouldn't put too much stock on the bitching, it's a message board and it is on all message boards especially in the Sec. We have come a loonnnggggg ways in StarkVegas. Now back to folks ready to jump off the bridge***

Oh, I know. It just always cracks me up.

Santiago
01-08-2021, 09:15 AM

I liked their efforts this year with re-introducing the Flying M. Assuming that is baby steps to bring it back into modern day. They younger crowd , the ones I talked to at least, seemed to really like it.
Not the exact same thing as you were saying, but that was a good effort this year.
And I am critical as heck about past efforts on marketing, but you are right on Stricklin/Byrne marketing.

msbulldog
01-08-2021, 10:20 AM
Hey and we got billboards!

HeCannotGo
01-08-2021, 11:59 AM
Just isn't going to happen. You'd have to pay the most of any team and it still wouldn't stop the poaching

Agree. We could pay way over market for a coordinator, but that wouldn't stop an Alabama or a Texas from going even further above market if they wanted one of our coaches. We wouldn't achieve the objective of coaching staff stability and it would cost us a lot of money in the process.

StarkVegasSteve
01-08-2021, 12:20 PM

This was always my main problem with hiring an ex coach to be the AD. Cohen doesn't like that stuff and has run off some really good people because of his thinking on it. I mean Bob was a heck of an ambassador for us with his writing and say what you want about Derek Cody and his views on certain issues, but that guy was a wizard with video and editing. And then there's Rhett Hobart. Rhett is maroon thru and thru and I hope he's hired as the AD in the future, but it just seemed like he was getting pushed out towards the end of his time. His marketing ideas, Tents For Tickets withstanding, were always very good and what he's doing at Wake is very innovative.

I don't know who's advising Cohen on this stuff, but whoever it is needs to go.

Santiago
01-08-2021, 05:26 PM
This was always my main problem with hiring an ex coach to be the AD. Cohen doesn't like that stuff and has run off some really good people because of his thinking on it. I mean Bob was a heck of an ambassador for us with his writing and say what you want about Derek Cody and his views on certain issues, but that guy was a wizard with video and editing. And then there's Rhett Hobart. Rhett is maroon thru and thru and I hope he's hired as the AD in the future, but it just seemed like he was getting pushed out towards the end of his time. His marketing ideas, Tents For Tickets withstanding, were always very good and what he's doing at Wake is very innovative.

I don't know who's advising Cohen on this stuff, but whoever it is needs to go.

Miss Bob not being at MSU. Did he get run off?
Derek - same thing.

Goldendawg
01-08-2021, 06:10 PM
I liked their efforts this year with re-introducing the Flying M. Assuming that is baby steps to bring it back into modern day. They younger crowd , the ones I talked to at least, seemed to really like it.
Not the exact same thing as you were saying, but that was a good effort this year.
And I am critical as heck about past efforts on marketing, but you are right on Stricklin/Byrne marketing.

I love the MState logo. Every time someone asks me where I went to college, I say "MState!"***** MSU Class of '77.

Dawgology
01-08-2021, 09:38 PM
Miss Bob not being at MSU. Did he get run off?
Derek - same thing.

Derek was so good. Wish we still had him.

Coach34
01-08-2021, 09:55 PM
M-State logo is trash. And I’ve never met a State person that calls us “M-State”