PDA

View Full Version : Shane Beamer

Jarius
01-06-2021, 03:08 PM
Is currently in Starkville interviewing Arnett.

Bothrops
01-06-2021, 03:12 PM
Is currently in Starkville interviewing Arnett.

Seems to be the case. Hope it's wasted fuel. Lateral move in the very best of cases.

Saltydog
01-06-2021, 03:14 PM
I think we all want to keep Arnett but if he leaves, he should leave to take a step up. This is NOT a step up. Texas, yes. USC, no.

basedog
01-06-2021, 03:17 PM
Must have some legs to be in StarkVegas. Can't blame Arnett, Coaching is a business and you never know what will be given if you don't listen. Plus it's gaining experience, the more Coaches you get to know the better chance you have at a higher level one day.

KOdawg1
01-06-2021, 03:21 PM
Could also be Spurrier Jr.

Edited: USCe has already hired a WR coach

Cooterpoot
01-06-2021, 03:28 PM
He's not going to SC. Beamer is wasting his time.

maroonmania
01-06-2021, 03:30 PM
Seems to be the case. Hope it's wasted fuel. Lateral move in the very best of cases.

Yea, if we lose a sitting defensive coordinator we want to keep to freakin' South Carolina then I'm ready to just throw in the towel on our entire football program. Losing one to the likes of TX or ND is one thing but if we can be poached by SC then our program isn't worth the emotional investment.

Captain Falcon
01-06-2021, 04:08 PM
Yea, if we lose a sitting defensive coordinator we want to keep to freakin' South Carolina then I'm ready to just throw in the towel on our entire football program. Losing one to the likes of TX or ND is one thing but if we can be poached by SC then our program isn't worth the emotional investment.

Didn't Ellis Johnson do the same thing back in the day?

Jarius
01-06-2021, 04:11 PM
He's not going to SC. Beamer is wasting his time.

I don’t think he will either but Beamer didn’t come interview him without Arnett agreeing to listen to him.

msstate7
01-06-2021, 04:12 PM
Aren't we still facing some serious personnel issues at safety next season? Trying to see why arnett would be interested in essentially a lateral move

Irondawg
01-06-2021, 04:16 PM
It’s a little hard to believe he became such a hot commodity after being a DC for only 1 year.

That’s our curse though - always having DCs plucked away immediately

FISHDAWG
01-06-2021, 04:26 PM
I don?t think he will either but Beamer didn?t come interview him without Arnett agreeing to listen to him.

just a guess but if He was truly interested then he would have gone to see Beamer instead of the other way around

trob115
01-06-2021, 04:30 PM
Dual purpose trip for Beamer. I used to be neighbors with his in-laws. He's here visiting them, and figured why not see if he can catch a fish. Arnett isn't expected to accept the job. Can't blame Shane for trying

Todd4State
01-06-2021, 04:49 PM
Aren't we still facing some serious personnel issues at safety next season? Trying to see why arnett would be interested in essentially a lateral move

Yeah. Too bad there isn't a transfer portal we could use to patch up holes.**

Todd4State
01-06-2021, 04:50 PM

Actually he went to Arkansas and then South Carolina. He's a South Carolina native too so that played a role.

MetEdDawg
01-06-2021, 05:04 PM
It’s a little hard to believe he became such a hot commodity after being a DC for only 1 year.

That’s our curse though - always having DCs plucked away immediately

In addition to this, some folks forget we took Arnett from Syracuse after less than 2 weeks there. So if, and it's still a big if, he would have gone from SDSU to Syracuse to MSU to Texas in one year. That's one hell of a rise of it happens.

Still hoping it doesn't. People think Texas is a big job. It's not anymore. It's second tier at best and if you look at recruiting this year, there's a hell of a lot to be concerned about. Texas has 1 commit from a Top 35 state of Texas player. That's as many as we have. 32 of those 35 have already signed. So it's not like they are going to make a massive splash there. Texas is a rebuild with pressure to win the way boosters want you to. That's not for everyone.

BuckyIsAB****
01-06-2021, 05:34 PM

No. Wont be close to as bad as it was this year.

Peters and Morgan Walker are back. As well as all the kids who played this year. JP Purvis should be a full go by then and Janari Dean will take somebodys spot. He is fr

Jarius
01-06-2021, 05:44 PM

Getting Fred Peters back will help a lot. We will see on CJ Morgan.

Jarius
01-06-2021, 05:45 PM
Dual purpose trip for Beamer. I used to be neighbors with his in-laws. He's here visiting them, and figured why not see if he can catch a fish. Arnett isn't expected to accept the job. Can't blame Shane for trying

I’ve been told Arnett is actually interested in the South Carolina job but not the Texas job.

PGHBulldogBG
01-06-2021, 05:49 PM
If Arnett goes to Texas or Notre Dame I can accept that and understand. Moving to USC makes no sense and seems strange unless he is from there or has a family tie. That would be weird to join a head coach with no head coaching experience as opposed to someone with 15+ years

Coach34
01-06-2021, 06:14 PM
I'd much rather live near the beach as opposed to the woods of the black prairie. I know most wives with kids would.

R2Dawg
01-06-2021, 06:41 PM
I'd much rather live near the beach as opposed to the woods of the black prairie. I know most wives with kids would.

I hear you on that but the Gulf isn't much further than east coast (time wise probably about the same) and the Gulf Beach is nicer. Columbia would give the family more shopping so there is that.

Santiago
01-06-2021, 06:44 PM
I hear you on that but the Gulf isn't much further than east coast (time wise probably about the same) and the Gulf Beach is nicer. Columbia would give the family more shopping so there is that.

good points and agree on Columbia. When these guys have 7 figures in their pockets, I would assume lifestyle views overall change as well. Despite the fact we could bump his salary to cover Netjets and they fly anywhere they want. The day to day living with that money might change views on towns. Just talking out loud on it.

Coach34
01-06-2021, 07:19 PM

Columbia to Charleston is under 2 hours and Columbia to Myrtle Beach is 2.5 hours driving.

Starkville to Orange Beach (nobody wants to go stay on the Miss Coast for a beach trip) is around 6 hours. Big difference

Jarius
01-06-2021, 07:45 PM
Columbia to Charleston is under 2 hours and Columbia to Myrtle Beach is 2.5 hours driving.

Starkville to Orange Beach (nobody wants to go stay on the Miss Coast for a beach trip) is around 6 hours. Big difference

People that make as much as Arnett is now Making don’t have to drive to destin or orange beach from Starkville.

Coach34
01-06-2021, 07:46 PM
Now let me say- SC would likely have to throw some money at him- but never downplay where someone lives in saying "lateral move". Fla Atlantic and Tulsa are supposedly "lateral moves". No they arent

Coach34
01-06-2021, 07:52 PM
People that make as much as Arnett is now Making don’t have to drive to destin or orange beach from Starkville.

It's a pain in the ass to set up a flight from the GTR to the Mobile or Pensacola using someone's plane as compared to driving 90 minutes. The wife and kids could go on their own constantly while you are busy working camps and such- with you driving over after camp is over. 90 minutes vs 6 hours is a huge difference

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-06-2021, 08:10 PM
Now let me say- SC would likely have to throw some money at him- but never downplay where someone lives in saying "lateral move". Fla Atlantic and Tulsa are supposedly "lateral moves". No they arent

Thank you for reminding everyone that coaches are people too. All we see is their job, but to the coach, it's a balancing act between their job, hobbies, and family. Just like the rest of us. It's just to get to be a SEC coach you typically have to place job higher than the rest of us, so we assume that's all they care about.

MS is a poorer than SC, with no beach, no waterfalls (SC-UGA border is unbelievably beautiful), and he's been there before and maybe he just loves the place. Leach stays in Key West for crying out loud

Coaches are people. I live in SE TN and while I LOVE the people of MS, I could never go back just because of the lack of mountains, clear running streams, views, and more moderate summers. MS just isn't it for me. Football isn't the only thing in Arnett's life, and he'd be a fool to only take the status of a job into considertion

maroonmania
01-06-2021, 08:31 PM

Ellis Johnson was working under the Slytanic with one of the perennial worst offenses in college football. Wouldn't you be looking for other employment?

BeardoMSU
01-06-2021, 08:36 PM

Grenada Lake has a beach.**

Homedawg
01-06-2021, 08:38 PM
In addition to this, some folks forget we took Arnett from Syracuse after less than 2 weeks there. So if, and it's still a big if, he would have gone from SDSU to Syracuse to MSU to Texas in one year. That's one hell of a rise of it happens.

Still hoping it doesn't. People think Texas is a big job. It's not anymore. It's second tier at best and if you look at recruiting this year, there's a hell of a lot to be concerned about. Texas has 1 commit from a Top 35 state of Texas player. That's as many as we have. 32 of those 35 have already signed. So it's not like they are going to make a massive splash there. Texas is a rebuild with pressure to win the way boosters want you to. That's not for everyone.

You can try to convince yourself it isn't a big job. It is. Especially someone who isn't from near here. Nationally, it's still a huge job.

maroonmania
01-06-2021, 08:38 PM
Thank you for reminding everyone that coaches are people too. All we see is their job, but to the coach, it's a balancing act between their job, hobbies, and family. Just like the rest of us. It's just to get to be a SEC coach you typically have to place job higher than the rest of us, so we assume that's all they care about.

MS is a poorer than SC, with no beach, no waterfalls (SC-UGA border is unbelievably beautiful), and he's been there before and maybe he just loves the place. Leach stays in Key West for crying out loud

Coaches are people. I live in SE TN and while I LOVE the people of MS, I could never go back just because of the lack of mountains, clear running streams, views, and more moderate summers. MS just isn't it for me. Football isn't the only thing in Arnett's life, and he'd be a fool to only take the status of a job into considertion

You guys can come up with so of the most entertaining reasons a coach should leave us when we know one of our coaches is being talked to even when its to a mediocre program like SC. So, let me get this straight, Arnett leaves Syracuse from the ACC high and dry (now we are talking Syracuse, NY) to come to Starkville so he can coach under Leach. But now, less than a year later, he needs to go to SC to be DC for a rookie HC to have better access to beaches? You all are creative, I'll give you that.

Homedawg
01-06-2021, 08:39 PM
I?ve been told Arnett is actually interested in the South Carolina job but not the Texas job.

He wouldn't be listening if he had zero interest.

Santiago
01-06-2021, 08:48 PM

Agree, and hello from the same area

RocketDawg
01-06-2021, 09:00 PM

So he brought the Athletic Department plane for a family visit? Hmm. That's unethical. Perhaps he just threw in the interview as an excuse to make the trip on the university dime. If that's the case, that's unethical too.

Coach34
01-06-2021, 09:02 PM
So, let me get this straight, Arnett leaves Syracuse from the ACC high and dry (now we are talking Syracuse, NY) to come to Starkville so he can coach under Leach. .

Who really wants to live in a high tax state like NY to coach at Syracuse that will forever be an also-ran? SC has been to the SEC championship game in the last 10 years. To act like leaving us for SC would be dumb is well- dumb. I've lived in Mississippi for 39 of my 51 years and I would shag ass to SC immediately. And I love Mississippi

I'll take on the East with a beach close by vs living in the woods facing Bama, LSU, A&M, and Auburn anytime

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-06-2021, 09:03 PM
You guys can come up with so of the most entertaining reasons a coach should leave us when we know one of our coaches is being talked to even when its to a mediocre program like SC. So, let me get this straight, Arnett leaves Syracuse from the ACC high and dry (now we are talking Syracuse, NY) to come to Starkville so he can coach under Leach. But now, less than a year later, he needs to go to SC to be DC for a rookie HC to have better access to beaches? You all are creative, I'll give you that.

Who said Syracuse is a place he wanted to live? Maybe he hates cold winters.

Look, he took a massive jump from SDSU to Syracuse. He immediately got another shot to take a big jump and came here. SC isn't a big jump as a job, but the location maybe to him.

Again, it's a balance of job, family, and hobbies. If his family likes the beach and the job is the same, why not go to SC? All of his moves so far make perfect sense from a career standpoint, all C34 is saying is that a move to SC makes sense IF he values the beach life. He never claimed to know that, it's just a theory as to why SC could be a better job to Arnett.

For the record, I highly doubt he leaves us for SC. I'm just agreeing with C34 that there are reasons beyond football for a coach to take a different job. YOu gotta admit, Starkville ain't exactly surrounded by holiday destinations

RocketDawg
01-06-2021, 09:03 PM

Syracuse to MSU is definitely a step up (although, unless I'm mistaken, they had a NC sometime back in the '70s). And Texas more than doubled Manny's salary to entice him to their school (but it didn't work out too well), so that's definitely a step up.

The thing about Texas is they always seem to have high expectations and the rank to go along with it, but they never come through. Kinda like Notre Dame in that respect.

RocketDawg
01-06-2021, 09:05 PM
If Arnett goes to Texas or Notre Dame I can accept that and understand. Moving to USC makes no sense and seems strange unless he is from there or has a family tie. That would be weird to join a head coach with no head coaching experience as opposed to someone with 15+ years

Arnett is from Albuquerque, according to Wikipedia.

RocketDawg
01-06-2021, 09:13 PM

How much are we paying Arnett?

MetEdDawg
01-06-2021, 09:19 PM
You can try to convince yourself it isn't a big job. It is. Especially someone who isn't from near here. Nationally, it's still a huge job.

Oh it's definitely a big job. But I would say a decade ago it was a Top 5 job. Today I think it's debatable that it's a Top 10 job. I would take Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame over Texas. After that you're in a battle with LSU, USC, Texas A&M, and Oregon to round out the Top 10.

Texas has lost some of its luster because it's boosters meddle too much and it's just not a consistent upper echelon winner anymore. Go check recruiting in the state of Texas and you'll see what kids think of them right now. Perception after what they did to Herman hasn't helped them either.

Is it a step up from us? Yes. But the last decade has not been kind to them and the legacy that was UT

Gutter Cobreh
01-06-2021, 09:27 PM

It's a pain in the ass to set up a flight from the GTR to the Mobile or Pensacola using someone's plane as compared to driving 90 minutes. The wife and kids could go on their own constantly while you are busy working camps and such- with you driving over after camp is over. 90 minutes vs 6 hours is a huge difference

Great point! Substitute Hilton Head for Myrtle Beach though... Ain't no one w/ kids making what he's making choosing to go to Myrtle over Hilton...

Also, you forget how close it is to Charlotte and the NC Mountains...

I will add Columbia is the "armpit of SC" though. I believe Lou Holtz put it best: "The only difference between Columbia and Hell in summer is a screen door"

maroonmania
01-06-2021, 09:32 PM
Who really wants to live in a high tax state like NY to coach at Syracuse that will forever be an also-ran? SC has been to the SEC championship game in the last 10 years. To act like leaving us for SC would be dumb is well- dumb. I've lived in Mississippi for 39 of my 51 years and I would shag ass to SC immediately. And I love Mississippi

I'll take on the East with a beach close by vs living in the woods facing Bama, LSU, A&M, and Auburn anytime

Well yea, if he was being interviewed by Steve Spurrier back in the day leaving would make a lot more sense. And sorry, didn't realize SC was such a nirvana place to be. Heck, I'm not saying that there aren't some attractive things about SC but I doubt many of them apply to living in the capital city of Columbia but whatever. My point is WHOEVER is interviewing one of our coaches from whereever, we always have our fans listing all the reasons he should get out of Starkville while he has the chance. We do more to promote the other school than the other schools' fans do. From a football standpoint there is no real reason to leave MSU for SC. Heck, for all the pain in the ass OM is, SC has to deal with Clemson.

maroonmania
01-06-2021, 09:37 PM
Syracuse to MSU is definitely a step up

Not if you are in need of a shopping mall.***

Medic601
01-07-2021, 07:21 AM
I heard the street signs are blue in Columbia rather than green and with the family history of a certain eye disease Zach?s family has, blue is easier for him to read. He?s gone.

FISHDAWG
01-07-2021, 08:05 AM

Columbia is a Sh__ Hole .... Most people that know it won't want to live there

FISHDAWG
01-07-2021, 08:11 AM

it's quite obvious that you have never spent time in Columbia ... Now someone making what Arnett would be making can find some buffer but he still has to go into town just to reach the university ... Columbia is horrible

Extendedcab
01-07-2021, 09:50 AM
Columbia is a Sh__ Hole .... Most people that know it won't want to live there

I agree with you. I have been there many times myself!

CovertDawg
01-07-2021, 10:24 AM
Having lived in Mississippi, California, Florida, and Arizona....I can tell you people in general have a lot of wanderlust. No matter where I have lived, it seems the locals always project they would be happier in another place. Californians love to talk about Hawaii, but people in Hawaii love to talk about Fiji and people in Fiji love to talk about New Zealand. People in South Beach love to talk about the Caribbean. Austin is the new hot place but I know a family moving out of there because they can't take the traffic any more. Everyone sees the flaws in their current situation which is why I decided to retire in one the most inexpensive places (Mississippi) and use the money I save to travel like crazy.

StarkVegasSteve
01-07-2021, 10:28 AM
Getting back on topic a bit here, I wonder just how many of our coaches Beamer was here to interview. There's reports that USCe is losing both their O Line coach and OC to Auburn.

Jarius
01-07-2021, 12:01 PM
How much are we paying Arnett?

His new contract is 7 figures.

Jarius
01-07-2021, 12:11 PM

It took me about 45 seconds to find a flight from Starkville, MS directly to Destin, Fl. It’s a 45 minute flight. People that make 7 figures a year can go anywhere they want at any time with no hassle at all.

Todd4State
01-07-2021, 01:22 PM
It took me about 45 seconds to find a flight from Starkville, MS directly to Destin, Fl. It’s a 45 minute flight. People that make 7 figures a year can go anywhere they want at any time with no hassle at all.

He can probably take the university plane if he wanted to.

Percho
01-07-2021, 01:32 PM
Having lived in Mississippi, California, Florida, and Arizona....I can tell you people in general have a lot of wanderlust. No matter where I have lived, it seems the locals always project they would be happier in another place. Californians love to talk about Hawaii, but people in Hawaii love to talk about Fiji and people in Fiji love to talk about New Zealand. People in South Beach love to talk about the Caribbean. Austin is the new hot place but I know a family moving out of there because they can't take the traffic any more. Everyone sees the flaws in their current situation which is why I decided to retire in one the most inexpensive places (Mississippi) and use the money I save to travel like crazy.

Me and my bud, like Key West!*#%

Coach34
01-07-2021, 01:37 PM

Some people dont like flying- especially on smaller planes. Especially people with young children. Then we are talking coolers and other things people bring to the beach- especially when you have young children- that are easier packed in a vehicle than in a plane

SilentSteel16
01-07-2021, 02:38 PM
As someone who flies commercially for a living, your statement about packing coolers does not hold water. There is plenty of room in any CRJ for 2 Yeti 110 coolers and able to haul 6 people. Our MState aircraft routinely make 3 hour trips to the Gulf beaches and back. Most of the time, the coolers and gear are all purchased at destination and or left at host resort or condo. Plus the passengers literally carry their bags less than 15 feet. It is a great perk and it is utilized a TON.

Jarius
01-07-2021, 05:51 PM
Some people dont like flying- especially on smaller planes. Especially people with young children. Then we are talking coolers and other things people bring to the beach- especially when you have young children- that are easier packed in a vehicle than in a plane

Uprooting your entire family for a lateral job because you would rather drive 2 hours to the beach instead of taking a 45 minute private flight seems unlikely when money is no object.

Coach34
01-07-2021, 06:11 PM
and it may not. For some people it's not an issue. Some people it is. Coaches are always prepared to move as they know they wont be somewhere very long. It's the nature of the business- especially for assistants. It's a revolving door.