PDA

View Full Version : Steve Sarkisian focuses on Alabama assistants, Mississippi State DC Zach Arnett for T

msstate7
01-05-2021, 01:53 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/steve-sarkisian-focuses-on-alabama-assistants-mississippi-state-dc-zach-arnett-for-texas-staff/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Uh oh

Tbonewannabe
01-05-2021, 02:01 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/steve-sarkisian-focuses-on-alabama-assistants-mississippi-state-dc-zach-arnett-for-texas-staff/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Uh oh

Par for the course. I guess we might could get Grantham back if he is sick of Mullen's shit.

Matt3467
01-05-2021, 02:02 PM
Why can we never hold onto a DC?

Medic601
01-05-2021, 02:05 PM
The question is, can Leach convince him to stay for a bit and build some more stock...

CovertDawg
01-05-2021, 02:12 PM
As good as Arnett is and as much as I want to keep him, we are going to have have a good defense most years (maybe 75% of the time?). Manny Diaz, Geoff Collins, Grantham, Bob Shoop, Arnett.......our players have proven they can make a lot of coaches look good. Just as important is that we keep the Strength and Conditioning program intact. Effort and tackling was the biggest difference year. We just have to make sure our DC has a hard edge. Peter Sirmon was too nice.

ScoobaDawg
01-05-2021, 02:20 PM
The question is, can Leach convince him to stay for a bit and build some more stock...

Build more stock than going to Texas?
That ain't happening. Unless he is content to wait for a HC position only.. which I doubt considering this was only his 3rd year of being a DC. Gonna need a few more years for someone to turn the keys over to their program.

I just hope for our sake he's not picked..

It's good that we have success but damn annoying to keep losing quality assistants.

*edit* 3 years

Homedawg
01-05-2021, 02:24 PM

Uh oh
cue, shouldhaveflanked to blame Cohen......in 3,2,1.................

Homedawg
01-05-2021, 02:24 PM

If Texas wants him, he'd be an idiot to stay.

Jack Lambert
01-05-2021, 02:25 PM
NO way in hell I would take a job that requires a alcoholic as a boss to stay sober.

RezDog7
01-05-2021, 02:26 PM

Uh oh

Maybe Arnett is our Napier.

TrapGame
01-05-2021, 02:32 PM

Manny Diaz 2.0

Texas is a dying program. They've been through, what, 3 or 4 coaches since Mac Brown?

Herman is a good coach. He's going to show Texas is quicksand.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-05-2021, 02:32 PM
cue, shouldhaveflanked to blame Cohen......in 3,2,1.................
Damn Cohen....This wouldn?t happen if we had a competent AD. 😂

HailStateSZN19
01-05-2021, 02:36 PM
I bet they end up keeping Ash as DC.

ZedFedder
01-05-2021, 02:38 PM
If he is offered the job, then he is as good as gone. That is a huge job.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2021, 02:42 PM
We just offered him a raise and now we're going to have to do it again. There's goes the budget for chairbacking DWS*****

Jarius
01-05-2021, 02:54 PM
Arnett is not interested in the Texas DC job from what I was told. Does not like the situation there.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Arnett is not interested in the Texas DC job from what I was told. Does not like the situation there.

I don't see how anyone could like the situation there. It's Auburn on a bigger scale. All the power lies with the Board of Regents. The AD and the school president are nothing more than figureheads. The Board of Regents operates almost independently from the school so no one ever seems to know what the heck is going on. But if you're looking for a payday then it's almost guaranteed you'll get one when they buy you out of your contract in 2 to 3 years.

Ari Gold
01-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Arnett is going to be on damn near every big time school that is looking for a DC...
And I look for them to keep Ash..

Cooterpoot
01-05-2021, 03:17 PM
If he is offered the job, then he is as good as gone. That is a huge job.

Been turned down at least twice already by others. It's not what it used to be.

BrunswickDawg
01-05-2021, 03:25 PM

If you go to Texas as OC or DC you are a sacrificial lamb - first ones fired for not meeting the boosters expectations.

Homedawg
01-05-2021, 03:28 PM
If you go to Texas as OC or DC you are a sacrificial lamb - first ones fired for not meeting the boosters expectations.

That's like that anywhere. For the amount of money they pay and the resources they have, sign me up.

Jack Lambert
01-05-2021, 03:33 PM
Texas has the money to fire folk at will. That would worry the hell out of me if I was a coach.

Hot Rock
01-05-2021, 03:34 PM
Texas has more money than anyone and that includes Alabama and Ohio State but that is not the dream job most think it is. That place is a booster nightmare, it's Auburn on steroids.

He may leave, the money will be hard to turn down but he better get a long term contract with a buyout that sets him up for life. There is a reason two have already turned down the position.

msstate7
01-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Texas has the money to fire folk at will. That would worry the hell out of me if I was a coach.

Then get a nice buy out added to contract

ZedFedder
01-05-2021, 03:40 PM

I hope that is the case.

msstate7
01-05-2021, 03:41 PM

Who were the 2?

Santiago
01-05-2021, 03:59 PM
Who were the 2?

reportedly Muschamp, and maybe Odom(Arkansas). The current TX DC may be retained though.

Jack Lambert
01-05-2021, 04:02 PM
Then get a nice buy out added to contract

Texas has unlimited money. Does not matter to Texas. Hire a guy and pay him what he wants and if he do not pan out fire him no matter what it cost and hire the next guy.

msstate7
01-05-2021, 04:11 PM
reportedly Muschamp, and maybe Odom(Arkansas). The current TX DC may be retained though.

Either of them tied to LSU or a HC job?

R2Dawg
01-05-2021, 04:16 PM
As good as Arnett is and as much as I want to keep him, we are going to have have a good defense most years (maybe 75% of the time?). Manny Diaz, Geoff Collins, Grantham, Bob Shoop, Arnett.......our players have proven they can make a lot of coaches look good. Just as important is that we keep the Strength and Conditioning program intact. Effort and tackling was the biggest difference year. We just have to make sure our DC has a hard edge. Peter Sirmon was too nice.

This is correct. D has been a constant at MSU through real bad coaches or not. Would like to keep Arnett though. Also is Texas really that great a job? The pressure and they have slipped. If we pay him, I don't see why he wouldn't stay. Every job isn't just about the money.

Homedawg
01-05-2021, 04:20 PM
This is correct. D has been a constant at MSU through real bad coaches or not. Would like to keep Arnett though. Also is Texas really that great a job? The pressure and they have slipped. If we pay him, I don't see why he wouldn't stay. Every job isn't just about the money.

Agree, they aren't all about the money. But, they have a better chance to win their league and like it or not, it's a better job. He is well paid here, if he leaves he will be well compensated wherever he goes. Remember NO coach thinks they are going to lose or not succeed. None. And if they do, you don't want them anyway. EGO. They ALL have it.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2021, 04:37 PM
Agree, they aren't all about the money. But, they have a better chance to win their league and like it or not, it's a better job. He is well paid here, if he leaves he will be well compensated wherever he goes. Remember NO coach thinks they are going to lose or not succeed. None. And if they do, you don't want them anyway. EGO. They ALL have it.

This, pretty much nailed it.

msstate7
01-05-2021, 04:51 PM
Arnett is young, so Austin vs Starkville might come in to play too

Bothrops
01-05-2021, 04:51 PM

Not really. Manny Diaz liked the players he had here better.

Homedawg
01-05-2021, 05:12 PM
Not really. Manny Diaz liked the players he had here better.

That's a very bad example, Manny left us for Texas. Thanks for making my point. He never thought he would fail either. It's not like i want Arnett to leave. He's did a great job and his a nice guy. I've been around him numerous times in a casual setting.

Bothrops
01-05-2021, 05:50 PM
That's a very bad example, Manny left us for Texas. Thanks for making my point. He never thought he would fail either. It's not like i want Arnett to leave. He's did a great job and his a nice guy. I've been around him numerous times in a casual setting.

Hindsight 20/20 and all

HailStateSZN19
01-05-2021, 06:09 PM
Apparently ND is knocking on Armett’s door also. If they don’t get Freeman, Arnett could be next in line for them.

That one would worry me more than the Texas opening. Texas is gonna end up keeping Ash.

Todd4State
01-05-2021, 06:12 PM

Why? It's not like that job is a spring board to the NFL. Manny Diaz probably would have become a head coach more quickly if he had stayed here instead of detouring through La Tech, back to MSU and then to Miami.

Todd4State
01-05-2021, 06:13 PM
Arnett is young, so Austin vs Starkville might come in to play too

Yeah. Arnett just screams hipster.**

RougeDawg
01-05-2021, 06:48 PM
MSU has become Rent-A-DC U. Sucks. Maybe we can get Uhaul as a sponsor.

R2Dawg
01-05-2021, 07:06 PM

The good and bad. Well bad is obvious but the good in this is that any good up and coming DC knows he can come thru Starkville and up his stock. We may not be the final destination but while they are here we are still good.

Dawgology
01-05-2021, 07:27 PM
We need to just pony up and pay top end money to keep coordinators. Money is the great equalizer and while Texas has more of it than us I bet we are willing to pay more to keep Arnett. Or, at least, I hope we are. The issue in the past has largely been that we didn?t have an administration (or boosters) willing to pay top dollar for coordinators.

We need to pay a coordinator enough that they are willing to stay and only leave for HC positions.

Homedawg
01-05-2021, 07:53 PM
Why? It's not like that job is a spring board to the NFL. Manny Diaz probably would have become a head coach more quickly if he had stayed here instead of detouring through La Tech, back to MSU and then to Miami.

I said it earlier, they have a better chance to win their league, thus a better chance to win a national championship, have more resources, better recruiting base etc etc. only state people w glasses on would disagree.

Medic601
01-05-2021, 09:22 PM
According to an article by the Long Horn Network, Muschamp declined the job and Barry Odom is their next target along with a chance of Ash staying. The article doesn’t even mention Arnett.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-05-2021, 10:00 PM
We need to just pony up and pay top end money to keep coordinators. Money is the great equalizer and while Texas has more of it than us I bet we are willing to pay more to keep Arnett. Or, at least, I hope we are. The issue in the past has largely been that we didn?t have an administration (or boosters) willing to pay top dollar for coordinators.

We need to pay a coordinator enough that they are willing to stay and only leave for HC positions.

We matched Florida's offer for Mullen, he still left. We matched FLoridas offer for Grantham, he still left with Mullen. We matched waht Bama offered Brian Baker, he still left. We matched what Texas offered Vic, he still left.

At some point we have to accept the fact that AD's are attracted to coaches from big name programs. Or they know it doens't matter, but they think they can sell a hire to the fanbase better if it's a hire from a big name school. "our new HC was the DC at 10-2 Texas" sounds better than "our new HC was the DC at 7-5 Mississippi State", even if the defensive ranking for both teams is the same. Fans are dumb and don't really think about the fact that a 8th ranked D at State is more impressive than an 8th ranked D at Texas due to our lesser talent. Fans think anyone that's coached at a big successful school learned the secret to being a winner while he was there.

As long as that's true, coaches will leave us. Improving our own perception nationally will reduce that incentive, but it will still be there. Money alone can't always make up for the increased HC potential coordinators get by being at big programs

Dawgsfanalongtime77
01-05-2021, 10:14 PM
NO way in hell I would take a job that requires a alcoholic as a boss to stay sober.

Good lord man.

Homedawg
01-05-2021, 11:30 PM
We matched Florida's offer for Mullen, he still left. We matched FLoridas offer for Grantham, he still left with Mullen. We matched waht Bama offered Brian Baker, he still left. We matched what Texas offered Vic, he still left.

At some point we have to accept the fact that AD's are attracted to coaches from big name programs. Or they know it doens't matter, but they think they can sell a hire to the fanbase better if it's a hire from a big name school. "our new HC was the DC at 10-2 Texas" sounds better than "our new HC was the DC at 7-5 Mississippi State", even if the defensive ranking for both teams is the same. Fans are dumb and don't really think about the fact that a 8th ranked D at State is more impressive than an 8th ranked D at Texas due to our lesser talent. Fans think anyone that's coached at a big successful school learned the secret to being a winner while he was there.

As long as that's true, coaches will leave us. Improving our own perception nationally will reduce that incentive, but it will still be there. Money alone can't always make up for the increased HC potential coordinators get by being at big programs

This guy is right

Homedawg
01-05-2021, 11:31 PM

And I assume you are at the top of the line to help pay for this correct?? Which wouldn't matter, but I at least know where to go to help.....

Todd4State
01-06-2021, 02:53 AM
I said it earlier, they have a better chance to win their league, thus a better chance to win a national championship, have more resources, better recruiting base etc etc. only state people w glasses on would disagree.

They have more resources- no one is debating that. But just because somewhere has more resources doesn't make it a better situation. A lot of bluebloods have internal issues. See Auburn.

With all of their resources- look at the kind of coaches that they are pulling. Herman came from Houston and we pulled Leach from a P5 school. Charlie Strong? And the guy that they just hired was a candidate for our job and we chose Leach over him.

I'm saying that sometimes it's better to wait than just jump at the first opportunity especially as a DC because those jobs come open much more frequently.

msbulldog
01-06-2021, 07:27 AM
Arnett bought a farm here.

Jarius
01-06-2021, 08:33 AM

Then call him an idiot. Texas has internal issues and he doesn't want any part of it, per people inside the building. He may be filling us full of shit but he's telling his peers here he isn't interested, just like Odom told them he wasn't interested and just like Muschamp told them he isn't interested. We upped his salary to 7 figures. Of course Texas could pay him more if they really wanted to but they aren't going to pay a DC ten times more than the going rate that is as inexperienced as Arnett. They will just move on to the next guy.

FISHDAWG
01-06-2021, 08:48 AM
Good lord man.

No ... This makes a lot of sense. Alcoholics can fall back at any time - it's a constant struggle for them. One screw up is enough to get him fired and where does that leave his staff..... The guy screwed up and never even got to coach a game at USC before he was canned. Maybe working under Saban helped him but now he is back on his own with an incredible amount of pressure on him and the temptation is real. Very valid point or consideration

Homedawg
01-06-2021, 08:53 AM
Arnett bought a farm here.

I hadn't heard that. But so did Vic. And I'm not saying he's leaving. Just pointing out, buying stuff that's an asset doesn't make one stay here. Or wherever.

Homedawg
01-06-2021, 08:54 AM
Then call him an idiot. Texas has internal issues and he doesn't want any part of it, per people inside the building. He may be filling us full of shit but he's telling his peers here he isn't interested, just like Odom told them he wasn't interested and just like Muschamp told them he isn't interested. We upped his salary to 7 figures. Of course Texas could pay him more if they really wanted to but they aren't going to pay a DC ten times more than the going rate that is as inexperienced as Arnett. They will just move on to the next guy.

Shouldn't over pay him. Or anyone w his experience for that matter.

CovertDawg
01-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Arnett is definitely the first MSU coach I have ever heard call out his neighbors by their names as being great people in a press conference. He even mentioned them helping him with a stuck zero turn. Of course, my first question is, can't we just pay someone to cut his grass? But some people find it relaxing I guess.....

He is definitely a perfect cultural fit for Mississippi State....straight shooter, hard edge, guys would run through a brick wall for him. That being said, foolish not to think their are other jobs he might find very enticing.

Dawgfan77
01-06-2021, 12:43 PM
No ... This makes a lot of sense. Alcoholics can fall back at any time - it's a constant struggle for them. One screw up is enough to get him fired and where does that leave his staff..... The guy screwed up and never even got to coach a game at USC before he was canned. Maybe working under Saban helped him but now he is back on his own with an incredible amount of pressure on him and the temptation is real. Very valid point or consideration

He coached a year and half at SC

Homedawg
01-06-2021, 12:44 PM

yeah not sure what fish was thinking on that one.

Commercecomet24
01-06-2021, 12:51 PM

Exactly.

ZedFedder
01-06-2021, 01:27 PM
I hope he stays, but let us also not forget that Arnett had been Syracuse's DC for all of 11 days before he accepted our offer.

DCdawg
01-06-2021, 01:38 PM
I hope he stays, but let us also not forget that Arnett had been Syracuse's DC for all of 11 days before he accepted our offer.

That's a good point, but it would be hard to turn down an offer to coach in the SEC. I put more stock in that he is from New Mexico and coaching at Texas would put him closer to home, though I don't know much that matters.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2021, 02:04 PM
If TX wants him, they will get him. ND might too but that's less clear.

Bothrops
01-06-2021, 02:16 PM
If TX wants him, they will get him. ND might too but that's less clear.

And we would likely take a step back on defense, and that will cost us games next season.

CovertDawg
01-06-2021, 02:39 PM
Yeah, ND is a little more tricky...just ask Chip Long. Talent wise they are still a long way from winning the National Championship but that would be the expectation. If they don't make the Final 4 again then the DC will probably be viewed as a disappointment.

CaptainObvious
01-06-2021, 03:05 PM

More likely 2 Men and a Truck.

CaptainObvious
01-06-2021, 03:09 PM

Well the start of improving our perception(other than winning) would be to increase our Athletics budget higher than our in state rival! That would be the first step because like it or not the ?national? perception is and has been that Mississippi is a better program than Mississippi State.

Bothrops
01-06-2021, 03:17 PM
Well the start of improving our perception(other than winning) would be to increase our Athletics budget higher than our in state rival! That would be the first step because like it or not the ?national? perception is and has been that Mississippi is a better program than Mississippi State.

If it didn't change after 2014 and Hugh's demise with that kind of exposure, it's not going to change.

FISHDAWG
01-06-2021, 04:29 PM

sorry ... 60 year old brain fart - it happens. And now I can't remember who that was that got canned before coaching a game

Homedawg
01-06-2021, 04:45 PM
sorry ... 60 year old brain fart - it happens. And now I can't remember who that was that got canned before coaching a game

Mike price at bama!! Was cause of drinking though!! Well, I'm sure he was drinking too!! Ha.

BuckyIsAB****
01-06-2021, 05:31 PM
Arnett will not be going to Texas

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-06-2021, 07:49 PM
If it didn't change after 2014 and Hugh's demise with that kind of exposure, it's not going to change.

Ding ding ding! This is the first year since 2015 OM has had the same or better record than us, and they went 10-3 that year, the same as our best record of the decade in '14.

If having the same "high water mark", far more success on average, and them getting busted for cheating doesn't change national perception, nothing will.

It's not about W's or L's, it's about marketing and attitude. OM gives off an impression of being successful, and they're better at marketing largely due to their selling of the Grove and the journalism school influencing those that create the narrative.

Todd4State
01-07-2021, 01:23 AM
Ding ding ding! This is the first year since 2015 OM has had the same or better record than us, and they went 10-3 that year, the same as our best record of the decade in '14.

If having the same "high water mark", far more success on average, and them getting busted for cheating doesn't change national perception, nothing will.

It's not about W's or L's, it's about marketing and attitude. OM gives off an impression of being successful, and they're better at marketing largely due to their selling of the Grove and the journalism school influencing those that create the narrative.

Exactly. Meanwhile we're telling all of our seniors to go pro and our coaches how much better other jobs are than ours.

FISHDAWG
01-07-2021, 08:15 AM
Mike price at bama!! Was cause of drinking though!! Well, I'm sure he was drinking too!! Ha.

Also I may have been thinking of George O-Leary when Notre-Dame canned him for lying on his resume - I don't think he ever coached a game for them

FISHDAWG
01-07-2021, 08:20 AM
Arnett will not be going to Texas

I sure hope Bert Stare disagrees

Homedawg
01-07-2021, 08:50 AM
Also I may have been thinking of George O-Leary when Notre-Dame canned him for lying on his resume - I don't think he ever coached a game for them

Ah yes. That one too.

maroonmania
01-07-2021, 08:38 PM
Exactly. Meanwhile we're telling all of our seniors to go pro and our coaches how much better other jobs are than ours.

^^This. The self-loathing attitude gets old if we ever want our program to get where we want it to be.

Sienfield
01-08-2021, 07:14 AM

Ain't that the truth. Doesn't make any sense but maybe that's a hold over from 2020 when nothing made sense.