PDA

View Full Version : Mullen Hot Seat

BrunswickDawg
01-04-2021, 08:55 AM
And so, it begins.......

https://twitter.com/michaelwbratton/status/1346086346453090304?s=21

maroonmania
01-04-2021, 09:00 AM
Isn't the Florida administration Scott Stricklin? Stricklin has been down this road many times with Mullen and knew Mullen flirts with any job opportunity out there from past experience. If that was going to be a problem then he made the wrong hire. Of course, I don't know how much influence Foley or others still have behind the scenes.

msstate7
01-04-2021, 09:13 AM
I think he gets an NFL gig this year

Matt3467
01-04-2021, 09:27 AM
Lol well at least he's consistent. I for one actually thought he'd be satisfied in Fla with his "dream" job but I guess not.

basedog
01-04-2021, 09:31 AM
I'm thinking this meltdown by the Gators team and DM has hurt his chances in the NFL. But regardless he want need a stimulus check.

MetEdDawg
01-04-2021, 09:32 AM

I agree. I think it's the Jets that make the most sense. Give Darnold one year with Dan and see what he can do. Move back in the draft and get some guys around him (Perfect chance to get a Kyle Pitts) and maybe grab another OL. Draft Trask in the second round as your backup plan.

Jets might really be able to acquire draft capital moving back. There are a ton of NFL WRs available in the 1st round to get between picks 8 and 20. Smith, Waddle, Pitts, Chase, Toney, Bateman. They need at least one of those and I bet they can convince Washington, Atlanta, or someone else to move up to get Fields and give up a crap ton to do it.

BrunswickDawg
01-04-2021, 09:33 AM
Isn't the Florida administration Scott Stricklin? Stricklin has been down this road many times with Mullen and knew Mullen flirts with any job opportunity out there from past experience. If that was going to be a problem then he made the wrong hire. Of course, I don't know how much influence Foley or others still have behind the scenes.

Foley has all the influence. Strick is there for the day to day minutia that Foley doesn't want to deal with. Keep in mind, Mullen was the back up plan and not one of Foley's preferred candidates. Foley had already dealt with Mullen and they had supposedly butted heads. I wouldn't be surprised if Foley has put Mullen on notice already - or else this story doesn't get out there.

TrapGame
01-04-2021, 10:34 AM
I read that as Mullen is working his ass off to get a NFL job right now. I bet he lands one too.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-04-2021, 10:48 AM
And so, it begins.......

https://twitter.com/michaelwbratton/status/1346086346453090304?s=21

Mullen to Jacksonville!!

BeardoMSU
01-04-2021, 10:51 AM
Mullen to Jacksonville!!

Kiffin to Florida!!*

msstate7
01-04-2021, 10:52 AM
Mullen to Jacksonville!!

If given the opportunity to, he gone. Get Lawrence, and he'd get to stay in state of Florida

Hambone
01-04-2021, 11:36 AM
Would Lawrence or Fields fit Mullen’s system better?

Absolutely Lawrence is the better QB I’m not saying that at all.

DownwardDawg
01-04-2021, 11:53 AM
I know I'm not alone, but I stated from day one that he would last 3-4 years max at Florida. It was an easy prediction. Fired, retired, new gig,..... doesn't matter. He just wasn't going to stay there long.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2021, 11:56 AM

Strick is just a puppet concerning the FL football program. Just as was said earlier. Foley still calls the shots, and the old ball coach (Spurrier) has more influence, concerning their football program, than Strick does.

Jack Lambert
01-04-2021, 12:05 PM
Who on his coaching staff would you like back at State?

FISHDAWG
01-04-2021, 12:11 PM

If Saban couldn't compete in the NFL what on earth makes Mullen think he could do it

KOdawg1
01-04-2021, 12:12 PM

Brian Johnson, maybe Greg Knox.

David Turner if Phelps decides to leave or anything

msstate7
01-04-2021, 12:13 PM
If Saban couldn't compete in the NFL what on earth makes Mullen think he could do it

Saban wins by accumulating more talent than his competitors. If you let saban have 3 top 10 picks every year, he'd do fine

FISHDAWG
01-04-2021, 12:16 PM

I would take Grantham back in a heartbeat if Arnett leaves but no way would I pressure Arnett to move along - he's a new favorite of mine and a fine DC, maybe even a cut above Grantham

smootness
01-04-2021, 12:31 PM
I don't think there's any chance Mullen gets an NFL job.

starkvegasdawg
01-04-2021, 12:41 PM

Does Megan like older men or does she prefer college students to tongue?

msstate7
01-04-2021, 12:45 PM

No chance? Kliff kingsbury got an nfl job, so I wouldn't say no chance. And Mullen ran a much more pro style attack this season with trask

Cooterpoot
01-04-2021, 12:49 PM
Brian Johnson, maybe Greg Knox.

David Turner if Phelps decides to leave or anything

Brian Johnson is a big ole NO.

SteelCurtain74
01-04-2021, 12:49 PM
Mullen to Jacksonville, Dak signs with Jacksonville, and the Jags use the draft and their 75 million in cap space to build a team around Dak. The Jags will have 2 first round picks thanks to the Jalen Ramsey trade.

Cooterpoot
01-04-2021, 12:51 PM
The idea that Dan would get an NFL job before Urban is crazy. Urban and Dan back together would be solid.

KOdawg1
01-04-2021, 01:03 PM
Brian Johnson is a big ole NO.

Brian Johnson is going to be a HC someday. We wouldn't be able to get him, but that wasn't the question.

BiscuitEater
01-04-2021, 01:15 PM
Isn't the Florida administration Scott Stricklin?

Strick 'deserves' for mullet to 'jump ship. He won't change!

chef dixon
01-04-2021, 01:17 PM
I think he sees the writing on the wall of how shitty they are going to be next year. He doesn't know if he wants to stick through a year like that in order to cycle back to the top of the division in 2-3 years.

Todd4State
01-04-2021, 01:26 PM
Dan is about to find out how good MSU was to him. He's out looking for a NFL job and Florida is about to tell him to get his ass in line or leave.

DownwardDawg
01-04-2021, 01:28 PM
Saban wins by accumulating more talent than his competitors. If you let saban have 3 top 10 picks every year, he'd do fine

This is 100% accurate!!!!! I've seen Saban get out coached many times during games. It's his system and recruiting that makes him such a great winner.

Dogbone
01-04-2021, 01:30 PM
Dan is about to find out how good MSU was to him. He's out looking for a NFL job and Florida is about to tell him to get his ass in line or leave.

I think you're right. He might get away with this somewhere else but not at Florida.

Cooterpoot
01-04-2021, 01:46 PM
Brian Johnson is going to be a HC someday. We wouldn't be able to get him, but that wasn't the question.

He's not a recruiter, doesn't really coach the QBs or call plays either. He was pushed out from a previous job. He might get a small time job but he's not getting a big job.

TrapGame
01-04-2021, 01:54 PM

Absolutely!

Strick is not the boss. Foley will rip him a new one.

basedog
01-04-2021, 02:09 PM
To even think Saban isn't one of the all time great college coaches is pretty well off the mark. Do you guys think Bear Byrant was a great x and o guy, LOL? Great Coaches surround themselves with great players and a great staff. Saban does this as well as any.

FISHDAWG
01-04-2021, 02:15 PM
These fools also want Grantham Gone ... also some expected Mullen dissatisfaction

https://www.secrant.com/rant/gator-sports/if-dan-mullen/94244767/

Extendedcab
01-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Does Megan like older men or does she prefer college students to tongue?

Wow, I didn't expect a comment like this on a thread regarding Dan jumping ship!

msstate7
01-04-2021, 02:20 PM
To even think Saban isn't one of the all time great college coaches is pretty well off the mark. Do you guys think Bear Byrant was a great x and o guy, LOL? Great Coaches surround themselves with great players and a great staff. Saban does this as well as any.

Of course he's good... he's the best ever. His greatest strength isn't allowed in the nfl though, so it really doesn't play to his talent.

basedog
01-04-2021, 02:34 PM
Of course he's good... he's the best ever. His greatest strength isn't allowed in the nfl though, so it really doesn't play to his talent.

Yes and you see I stated "college coach". I gotta say Lombardi and Noll are the greatest two NFL coaches.

Btw, disregard the era who would you take, Bryant or Saban?

Matt3467
01-04-2021, 02:39 PM

I don't really think success at either level is a sure thing when crossing over from college to NFL or vice versa. Coaching in either field is vastly different from each other. The most recent NFL coach that I can think of that took over a College team was Jim Mora Jr and he didn't do too well. Here?s a good article i read before on the college to NFL transition: https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1044373-going-pro-college-football-coaches-historically-struggle-in-the-nfl.amp.html

KOdawg1
01-04-2021, 02:42 PM
Yes and you see I stated "college coach". I gotta say Lombardi and Noll are the greatest two NFL coaches.

Saban

BrunswickDawg
01-04-2021, 02:43 PM
These fools also want Grantham Gone ... also some expected Mullen dissatisfaction

https://www.secrant.com/rant/gator-sports/if-dan-mullen/94244767/

Well, they did go from #9 in Total D in '19 to #83 in '20; and from #7 in scoring D to #70. That's a pretty concerning drop off.

R2Dawg
01-04-2021, 04:21 PM
I know I'm not alone, but I stated from day one that he would last 3-4 years max at Florida. It was an easy prediction. Fired, retired, new gig,..... doesn't matter. He just wasn't going to stay there long.

I said a similar thing, I may have said 3-5 but it wasn't going to be long.

msstate7
01-04-2021, 04:35 PM

I can't remember Bryant (too young), so I say saban

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2021, 04:44 PM
If Florida is stupid enough to get rid of Dan then they deserve the MASSIVE drop off they would have. Mullen is a Top 5 coach and Florida won't be lucky enough to find anywhere near that level of coach if they fire Dan coming off an SEC Championship. Good coaches are always going to be a commodity. It's the nature of the business. I've never understood why a majority of people get butthurt when a coach interviews for a higher profile job. I mean I don't think someone would stay in a lower level job if someone offered a management position just because of the #FAMILY. Which is also a crock with the way fans run down the players. It's a business. I don't fault Dan one bit for seeing if an NFL job is out there. He's said for years, even when he was here, that the NFL is his ultimate goal.

BiscuitEater
01-04-2021, 04:52 PM
He's not a recruiter.

And yet, he got FL on probation with illegal contact with recruits and a personal' show cause!'

smootness
01-04-2021, 05:12 PM
No chance? Kliff kingsbury got an nfl job, so I wouldn't say no chance. And Mullen ran a much more pro style attack this season with trask

Totally different. While I was shocked an NFL team actually hired Kingsbury, they did it because he was synonymous with the Air Raid and was a sexy name.

Nothing about Mullen would excite any NFL fan base, and while he's had success in college, he hasn't had enough and doesn't run a system they want.

bulldawg28
01-04-2021, 06:44 PM
Totally different. While I was shocked an NFL team actually hired Kingsbury, they did it because he was synonymous with the Air Raid and was a sexy name.

Nothing about Mullen would excite any NFL fan base, and while he's had success in college, he hasn't had enough and doesn't run a system they want.

The NFL is full of boring no name coaches. As a matter of fact I bet you can't name 20 NFL coaches.

Todd4State
01-04-2021, 06:47 PM
If Florida is stupid enough to get rid of Dan then they deserve the MASSIVE drop off they would have. Mullen is a Top 5 coach and Florida won't be lucky enough to find anywhere near that level of coach if they fire Dan coming off an SEC Championship. Good coaches are always going to be a commodity. It's the nature of the business. I've never understood why a majority of people get butthurt when a coach interviews for a higher profile job. I mean I don't think someone would stay in a lower level job if someone offered a management position just because of the #FAMILY. Which is also a crock with the way fans run down the players. It's a business. I don't fault Dan one bit for seeing if an NFL job is out there. He's said for years, even when he was here, that the NFL is his ultimate goal.

I didn't mind Dan looking for a job. I minded him not doing our job when looking for a job.

KOdawg1
01-04-2021, 06:54 PM
The NFL is full of boring no name coaches. As a matter of fact I bet you can't name 20 NFL coaches.

Bill Belicheck, Joe Judge, Kliff Kingsbury, Pete Carrol, Bruce Arians, Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy, Doug Pederson, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Mike Zimmer, Mike Vrabel, Sean McDermott, Matt LaFleur, Jon Gruden, Sean McVay, Matt Rhule and Kyle Shanahan.

Not trying to argue with you, I just wanted to see if I could do it off the top of my head lol. But to your credit, 20 is all I could think of.

FISHDAWG
01-04-2021, 06:54 PM
Well, they did go from #9 in Total D in '19 to #83 in '20; and from #7 in scoring D to #70. That's a pretty concerning drop off.

How did he do the two years before ?

bulldawg28
01-04-2021, 07:15 PM
Bill Belicheck, Joe Judge, Kliff Kingsbury, Pete Carrol, Bruce Arians, Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy, Doug Pederson, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Mike Zimmer, Mike Vrabel, Sean McDermott, Matt LaFleur, Jon Gruden, Sean McVay, Matt Rhule and Kyle Shanahan.

Not trying to argue with you, I just wanted to see if I could do it off the top of my head lol. But to your credit, 20 is all I could think of.

Niceee! I had to rep you for getting to 20.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-04-2021, 07:28 PM

What? Kingsbury was nothing. He was fired at TTU as an HC and considered a good catch by USC as OC. He was no more flashy a name than Muschamp would be. Gus had 10x the resume.

Kingsbury was hired because they thought his scheme would work and he could manage NFL personalities. Basically they thought his college problems was recruiting.

Mullen -if he is hired- will be hired for the same reasons. He's always adapted his O's to his personnel, and is a QB savant. Unlike Kingsbury he's shown he can build a program, and emphasize things like physicality. I don't think his personality meshes well in the player focused NFL, but there's plenty of reasons an NFL team would want him.

He has 5x the name recognition and resume as Kliff did. He's far higher respected too; Kliff had to take a blue blood OC job, if Mullen was fired 2 weeks ago he'd be at Auburn or Texas as their HC. Kliff worked out, but in no way was Kliff a "sexy name" and Mullen not

smootness
01-04-2021, 07:30 PM

Yeah, and if you don't care about getting a coach that will excite people, there are 50 candidates you might hire before Mullen.

Kingsbury was hired partly to excite people because of the offense he runs. If you do care about that, you definitely won't hire Mullen. So he had something going for him that Mullen doesn't.

starkvegasdawg
01-04-2021, 07:51 PM
Twitter verse now reporting Mullen has an interview in Atlanta.

msstate7
01-04-2021, 07:58 PM

Pretty sure smoot is a falcon guy, so that would be funny if he gets the job

RocketDawg
01-04-2021, 08:28 PM
If given the opportunity to, he gone. Get Lawrence, and he'd get to stay in state of Florida

He wouldn't even have to move to a new house if he gets the Jacksonville job. But wasn't there some talk a year or two ago about moving the Jacksonville team to London? It's a pretty small (population wise) area, Green Bay notwithstanding, to have an NFL team.

RocketDawg
01-04-2021, 08:39 PM
I can't remember Bryant (too young), so I say saban

I remember Bryant, sort of vaguely. I'd say Saban as well - I don't think Bryant was as dominant as Saban is.

basedog
01-04-2021, 09:24 PM
I remember Bryant, sort of vaguely. I'd say Saban as well - I don't think Bryant was as dominant as Saban is.

The Bear was a great motivator, his players loved him. It would be hard to say who was the greatest, both coaches changed their styles over time such as offenses. Pretty sure Bear's staff were more dedicated to the Bear. You need to read the book or story about the Bear and his A&M teams, Junction Boys, 10 days summer camp held in Junction Texas. It's an amazing story, players would leave camp sneaking out at midnight and never coming back! LOL, Bear also coached at Kentucky when Rubb was HC/Basketball. He left Ky when the alumni gave Rubb a Cadillac and the Bear received a watch. The Bear knew football wasn't important at Ky so he left and took the Aggie job.
Side note, most wouldn't know who John David Crow was, Heisman trophy RB winner who played for the Bear at A&M. Crow was the AD at NLU when I was assistant basketball coach/Basketball. The stories he told me about the Bear would blow some away, tough ass Coach and like I stated players loved him.

Todd4State
01-04-2021, 09:25 PM

Bryant had a 30+ game SEC win streak which is remarkable. But Saban is in the discussion for sure.

R2Dawg
01-04-2021, 09:43 PM
Bryant had a 30+ game SEC win streak which is remarkable. But Saban is in the discussion for sure.

Bryant did great things but no one has done what Saban has in an era where SEC is bigger and better than ever. Scholarship limits and more talent available than when Bryant coached. In the playoff era, Saban has had to win more NC on the field of play too. Bryant got the media NC a lot just by popular votes.

BrunswickDawg
01-04-2021, 09:58 PM
How did he do the two years before ?
In '18 28th in Total D, 20 in scoring. '17 is irrelevant to UF fans since he was at MSU.

I'm not agreeing with them, I like Grantham - but they had a Sirmon-ish defense this year compared to a typical UF defense.

CaptainObvious
01-04-2021, 10:59 PM
In '18 28th in Total D, 20 in scoring. '17 is irrelevant to UF fans since he was at MSU.

I'm not agreeing with them, I like Grantham - but they had a Sirmon-ish defense this year compared to a typical UF defense.

Didn?t they have a lot of defensive players graduate and/or move on last year?

Todd4State
01-05-2021, 03:09 AM
What? Kingsbury was nothing. He was fired at TTU as an HC and considered a good catch by USC as OC. He was no more flashy a name than Muschamp would be. Gus had 10x the resume.

Kingsbury was hired because they thought his scheme would work and he could manage NFL personalities. Basically they thought his college problems was recruiting.

Mullen -if he is hired- will be hired for the same reasons. He's always adapted his O's to his personnel, and is a QB savant. Unlike Kingsbury he's shown he can build a program, and emphasize things like physicality. I don't think his personality meshes well in the player focused NFL, but there's plenty of reasons an NFL team would want him.

He has 5x the name recognition and resume as Kliff did. He's far higher respected too; Kliff had to take a blue blood OC job, if Mullen was fired 2 weeks ago he'd be at Auburn or Texas as their HC. Kliff worked out, but in no way was Kliff a "sexy name" and Mullen not

I think Dan would do OK in the NFL with a good roster. Obviously if he's taking over an expansion team or something like that he's going to suck.

To me his biggest weakness was his recruiting. He won't have to do that in the NFL. And the other thing is he would go way conservative against a superior team like Alabama. In the NFL there isn't an Alabama really although yes there are dynasty's. So I suspect he would be Ok play calling in the NFL based on how he play calls against teams with relatively equal or worse talent. The thing about that though is he may have to hire an OC. I'm not sure how many NFL coaches call their own plays but I'm pretty sure every team has an OC that can call plays while the head coach is managing the team at least at times. I don't know who Dan would hire as his OC so that would be interesting to me to see what direction he goes with that. I'd be kind of curious to see if he reunites with Sallach at TE coach.

I think his offense will be OK too. See Trask. And it worked fine with Dak too where we threw the ball a good bit.

One question I do have is who would be on his defensive staff. I think that might be why he is keeping Grantham at least in part. Grantham has some NFL experience. I know Brian Baker and Deshea Townsend have NFL experience and I think Dan would bring Christian Robinson with him. Maybe Dan will hire some of our former players as assistants- Johnthan Banks as a defensive assistant?

He would also have to hire a ST coach- LOL. Maybe he goes out and gets Chris Boniol?

Todd4State
01-05-2021, 03:15 AM
Bryant did great things but no one has done what Saban has in an era where SEC is bigger and better than ever. Scholarship limits and more talent available than when Bryant coached. In the playoff era, Saban has had to win more NC on the field of play too. Bryant got the media NC a lot just by popular votes.

That's a good point. I'm not really saying that Bryant was better. But between 77-80 Bryant may have been more dominant than Saban in any three year stretch- for now at least. It's inevitable that Saban is going to have more National Titles than Bear at Alabama. I'm wondering if he wants to win more games than the Bear a well.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
01-05-2021, 04:14 AM
That's a good point. I'm not really saying that Bryant was better. But between 77-80 Bryant may have been more dominant than Saban in any three year stretch- for now at least. It's inevitable that Saban is going to have more National Titles than Bear at Alabama. I'm wondering if he wants to win more games than the Bear a well.
Such completely different eras to say who was better. It?s a matter of opinion to most. But saban won 3 in the bcs era so the popular vote nonsense is not a debate

msbulldog
01-05-2021, 07:31 AM
The Bear was a great motivator, his players loved him. It would be hard to say who was the greatest, both coaches changed their styles over time such as offenses. Pretty sure Bear's staff were more dedicated to the Bear. You need to read the book or story about the Bear and his A&M teams, Junction Boys, 10 days summer camp held in Junction Texas. It's an amazing story, players would leave camp sneaking out at midnight and never coming back! LOL, Bear also coached at Kentucky when Rubb was HC/Basketball. He left Ky when the alumni gave Rubb a Cadillac and the Bear received a watch. The Bear knew football wasn't important at Ky so he left and took the Aggie job.
Side note, most wouldn't know who John David Crow was, Heisman trophy RB winner who played for the Bear at A&M. Crow was the AD at NLU when I was assistant basketball coach/Basketball. The stories he told me about the Bear would blow some away, tough ass Coach and like I stated players loved him.

Damn Base I didn't know you coached at at NLU, notice my location is West Monroe. My cousin-in-law Elbert Southall coached under John David Crow while he was the football coach. Did you know him?

basedog
01-05-2021, 09:52 AM
Damn Base I didn't know you coached at at NLU, notice my location is West Monroe. My cousin-in-law Elbert Southall coached under John David Crow while he was the football coach. Did you know him?

No I can't recall that name. I only remember a few football coaches, one was JB Grimes who was a GA. I lived in Monroe 79-83. I have several good friends who live in Monroe. Benny Hollis was the HC.
Like I said JDC was an interesting no nonsense guy. He left NLU and opened up a Coors Distributorship which failed mostly because the beer had to be refrigerated in a warehouse.
I got out of Coaching and missed it for many years, but there was no money back then in coaching, my last year at NLU I made $17,000, but I had insurance and a University Car, LOL. Now days the money is off the chart! LOL.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2021, 09:52 AM

If Dan was the hire in ATL, which I don't think he will be, that would tell me that ATL is planning on a full rebuild and will draft a QB in the first or take Trask on Day 2 and let him sit behind Ryan for a year.

Medic601
01-05-2021, 12:08 PM

I?ve often wondered if you gave Saban a class of 1 & 2 star recruits with an occasional 3 star, how much of a ?coaching god? would he be.

Homedawg
01-05-2021, 12:19 PM
I?ve often wondered if you gave Saban a class of 1 & 2 star recruits with an occasional 3 star, how much of a ?coaching god? would he be.

HE wouldn't. just check mich st.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2021, 01:31 PM
HE wouldn't. just check mich st.

Saban has learned A LOT since then. Now I'm not under some illusion that he'd compete for championships with 1 & 2 stars but I think he'd lead them to 7 and 8 win seasons every year with the ability to throw together a 9-11 win season every few years. The Process works because of Saban. It works better because of where he's at.

basedog
01-05-2021, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure there is a more "all in for football than" Alabama! They had tradition way back but fell off the wagon till the Bear came calling when momma called. He pretty much built Bama, Saban has as much resources needed as any football program in the country. Both are the GOATS imo.

Homedawg
01-05-2021, 03:18 PM
Saban has learned A LOT since then. Now I'm not under some illusion that he'd compete for championships with 1 & 2 stars but I think he'd lead them to 7 and 8 win seasons every year with the ability to throw together a 9-11 win season every few years. The Process works because of Saban. It works better because of where he's at.

I'm not arguing he hasn't improved, he has i'm sure. However, the last two jobs are premier jobs and get elite talent. Without elite talent, you don't win big. He never had it at Mich st and thus his results. Now if he went back to Mich state it would be better, they are a much better program, partly do to him, and his name carries so much weight.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-05-2021, 05:39 PM
According to this Leach is #6 on the hot seat...hahahahah https://www.coacheshotseat.com/

was21
01-05-2021, 06:40 PM
This is bullshit...no way Mullen is on the hot seat

RougeDawg
01-05-2021, 06:44 PM
According to this Leach is #6 on the hot seat...hahahahah https://www.coacheshotseat.com/

Only hot seat for Leach right now is his chair out in the sun in Key West.