PDA

View Full Version : OT question for the board

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Not a sports or weather post but an interesting weather post may be warranted in a few days for next Sunday.

I went to the doctor last week for a pulled muscle in my back and found out I'm diabetic. A1C was through the roof. Thank the good Lord above I'm not on insulin but my lifestyle will change forever. Still wrapping my head around how sausage and bacon is ok but orange juice is bad. I digress. My question is for any others here that are diabetic or live with someone who is. What are your go to foods and drinks? I'm basically living on water as I hate tea and coffee. Tonight for supper I made a teriyaki beef and broccoli stir fry that was really good but I can't eat that every night. So any good recipes or advice would be greatly appreciated. Doctor told me this was reversible if I do what I need to do so that's my goal.

Hambone
01-03-2021, 09:50 PM
Good thing they caught it early. Very possible to be reversed with just a few lifestyle changes. Grab you some water flavor from the grocery store. The off brands taste just like the name brands to me. That will help with water situation.

Omega 3 trailmix has been a stable of mine since I was diagnosed. Luckily, I love fish so I love to bake catfish or tilapia with one of two combinations: garlic powder & butter or lemon pepper and butter. Wife can’t stand fish so that’s a stand alone for me.

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2021, 10:10 PM
Good thing they caught it early. Very possible to be reversed with just a few lifestyle changes. Grab you some water flavor from the grocery store. The off brands taste just like the name brands to me. That will help with water situation.

Omega 3 trailmix has been a stable of mine since I was diagnosed. Luckily, I love fish so I love to bake catfish or tilapia with one of two combinations: garlic powder & butter or lemon pepper and butter. Wife can’t stand fish so that’s a stand alone for me.

Same boat for me. I love fish but wife hates it. I'll have to try some of that stuff that flavors water.

parabrave
01-03-2021, 10:17 PM
Did they put you on any Meds? My mother is a Diabetic and eats alot of Celery. Got me started on it. Helps greatly with Fiber intake.

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2021, 10:49 PM
Did they put you on any Meds? My mother is a Diabetic and eats alot of Celery. Got me started on it. Helps greatly with Fiber intake.
They put me on metformin. I haven't even met with a nutritionist or anybody yet. They basically called me Wednesday evening and said your test came back you're diabetic. A1C is extremely high. Then they said they called me in a prescription for metformin and said call us back Monday. So since then I've just been winging it and living on google.

msstatelp1
01-03-2021, 11:28 PM
Google low glycemic foods/recipes or keto diet recipes. Even following the clean eating guidelines helps. Staying away from highly processed foods helps too.

parabrave
01-04-2021, 01:46 AM
And exercise. BTW whats the outlook for the beginning of nest week?

starkvegasdawg
01-04-2021, 03:43 AM
And exercise. BTW whats the outlook for the beginning of nest week?

The outlook is looking potentially interesting. The last two runs of the euro are showing snow for MS. The NWS in Jackson has mentioned a "significant storm system" moving in next Sunday but haven't elaborated further. The gfs is showing the same storm but tracking it where it would be a severe weather event instead of snow. Just going to have to see how it shakes out.

msbulldog
01-04-2021, 04:21 AM
Same boat for me. I love fish but wife hates it. I'll have to try some of that stuff that flavors water.

I'm not diabetic, one of the few things I don't have. But, I drink Nestle Splash water, come in 5 or 6 pre-flavors. It's cheap $3.00 for 6-17 oz.

ScoobaDawg
01-04-2021, 04:57 AM
Google low glycemic foods/recipes or keto diet recipes. Even following the clean eating guidelines helps. Staying away from highly processed foods helps too.

What he said. Diabetes is reversible with diet change, keto is a great solution. But don't expect your health care provider to mention it to you..

Feel free to shoot me a message if ya got questions and I'll try to point you in a general way.

In my thoughts and prayers bud.

Take care of yourself.. It's not to late and with some life changes ( not a diet) you won't have to pop those pills anymore.

And hey maybe take this as a time to learn to cook some more also... I promise it ain't that hard.. Fish can be tricky but can be taught

Mobile Bay
01-04-2021, 08:08 AM
They put me on metformin. I haven't even met with a nutritionist or anybody yet. They basically called me Wednesday evening and said your test came back you're diabetic. A1C is extremely high. Then they said they called me in a prescription for metformin and said call us back Monday. So since then I've just been winging it and living on google.

Enjoy the Metformin shits. From now on when you feel the urge to go, don't delay. Otherwise you will regret it.

What your looking for is sugar, in all it's evil forms. Starches, grains, and so on as well as sweets. That is what you have to cut out. Meat has almost no sugar, bread has a lot. Because flour=sugar once you digest it. Beer=sugar. Makes me sick as a dog now that I have been on metformin. Whisky=no sugar. Apple flavored whiskey, cherry vodka, and so on may have sugar in it.

Start reading labels at the grocery store. You will be surprised at how much sugar is out there. And sometimes products vary from brand to brand. Spices, especially bbq blends are bad to have sugar in them. Hot dogs is another thing. One brand of hot dog may have no sugar, and the one next to it on the shelf may have 7 grams per dog.

A lot of veggies have a lot of sugar in them. Peas, beans, corn, loaded with it. Fruit is right out as well. It's ALL sugar. Any plant you eat the leaf of is fine.

Don't fall for the BS that there is good sugar and bad sugar. There is only bad sugar (fruit) and worse sugar (chocolate). Sugar=sugar.

HRTFXR
01-04-2021, 08:47 AM
https://smile.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=k8nz0&pf_rd_p=49ff6d7e-521c-4ccb-9f0a-35346bfc72eb&pf_rd_r=MEWQ4BPTMF05GDAHWFTA&pd_rd_r=4cf15056-1c24-47a8-86d9-dafd8497c6d0&pd_rd_wg=J0s8h&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

FISHDAWG
01-04-2021, 12:23 PM

When you get tired of that try the Bai anti-oxidant drinks ... sugar free and tasty for something to sip on ... without specials they are about $2 per bottle .... avoid the coconut flavor - it sucks

MaroonBelle
01-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Not a sports or weather post but an interesting weather post may be warranted in a few days for next Sunday.

I went to the doctor last week for a pulled muscle in my back and found out I'm diabetic. A1C was through the roof. Thank the good Lord above I'm not on insulin but my lifestyle will change forever. Still wrapping my head around how sausage and bacon is ok but orange juice is bad. I digress. My question is for any others here that are diabetic or live with someone who is. What are your go to foods and drinks? I'm basically living on water as I hate tea and coffee. Tonight for supper I made a teriyaki beef and broccoli stir fry that was really good but I can't eat that every night. So any good recipes or advice would be greatly appreciated. Doctor told me this was reversible if I do what I need to do so that's my goal.

May sound a little silly but if you are not on Pinterest get on it. There are tons of recipes on there for every dietary need under the sun.

Hot Rock
01-04-2021, 03:11 PM
I would be willing to bet you can find dozens of recipes that appeal to your particular taste on Pinterest. That place has lots of good stuff that the wife always showing me food and remodeling ideas.

Jack Lambert
01-04-2021, 05:14 PM
Drink Dr. Pepper.

RocketDawg
01-04-2021, 08:52 PM
I'm not diabetic, one of the few things I don't have. But, I drink Nestle Splash water, come in 5 or 6 pre-flavors. It's cheap $3.00 for 6-17 oz.

Also other brands like Vitamin Water. A friend of mine use Crystal Light in a little quirt bottle - it doesn't take much to flavor an entire glass of water. I just drink plain water (but 1 liter bottles of Smart Water at Costco for the golf course), but might try the Crystal Light in it at some point.

starkvegasdawg
01-04-2021, 08:55 PM
I tried that Bubly flavored sparkling water tonight. Two sips was enough.

RocketDawg
01-04-2021, 08:55 PM
When you get tired of that try the Bai anti-oxidant drinks ... sugar free and tasty for something to sip on ... without specials they are about $2 per bottle .... avoid the coconut flavor - it sucks

Haha - Bai Coconut is my favorite flavor. :) Sparkling Ice is also good and comes in several unusual flavors.

RocketDawg
01-04-2021, 08:56 PM

Some of them aren't carbonated and you might like those better. Or just plain water.

msstatelp1
01-04-2021, 09:15 PM
Another drink alternative for you is the Ocean Spray Diet 5 cranberry or cranberry plus whatever drinks. They are sweetened with sucralose and basically 2 grams of carbs (1 gram of sugar) per 8 oz. My favorites are the cran-pineapple and cran-mango. The store brands at Kroger and Walmart are good too. Add vodka if you want something a little stronger and you will still be able to keep your carb/sugar intake very reasonable.

https://www.oceanspray.com/en/Products/Product-Filter?category=Juices&subcategory=Diet

starkvegasdawg
01-04-2021, 10:21 PM
Another drink alternative for you is the Ocean Spray Diet 5 cranberry or cranberry plus whatever drinks. They are sweetened with sucralose and basically 2 grams of carbs (1 gram of sugar) per 8 oz. My favorites are the cran-pineapple and cran-mango. The store brands at Kroger and Walmart are good too. Add vodka if you want something a little stronger and you will still be able to keep your carb/sugar intake very reasonable.

https://www.oceanspray.com/en/Products/Product-Filter?category=Juices&subcategory=Diet

Never had sucralose. Does it have that twang of aspartame?

msstatelp1
01-04-2021, 11:12 PM

It doesn't to me. Sucralose is the generic name for Splenda and is actually made from sugar. If you stop by a fast food place or a restaurant you may be able to find a small packet of Splenda where they keep sugar and other artificial sweeteners.

ScoobaDawg
01-05-2021, 12:04 PM

Bubly is HORRRIBLE. Look for Waterloo or Spindrift.

ScoobaDawg
01-05-2021, 12:05 PM

Not really..and stay the hell away from anything with aspartame.

msbulldog
01-05-2021, 01:20 PM

The Nestle Splash water is not carbonated, just flavored. I drink 4 or 5 a day. No carbs, No calories.

shrimp
01-05-2021, 01:38 PM
Give Propel flavored water a try. It contains sucralose. You can get bottles of it at Sams or off Amazon. Or you can buy the packets (much cheaper) at Wal-Mart and just mix them in a plain bottled water. Either way, Propel is my favorite flavored water. I’ve had the Nestle Splash, as well. It’s OK, but it’s also much cheaper than Propel.

starkvegasdawg
01-05-2021, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely be giving these a try. Need something to drink other then just plain water and I need some flavor.