PDA

View Full Version : Miss. State vs Kentucky (Women's Basketball)

jdelta02
01-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Gameday
Miss. State vs Kentucky
Starkville MS, Humphrey Coliseum 12:00 am cst

Announced...Xaria Wiggins cleared to play against Kentucky

jdelta02
01-03-2021, 01:46 PM
Halftime
Miss. State 34
Kentucky 36

Rickea Jackson 9 pts
JaMya Mingo-Young 9 pts
Aliyah Matharu 5 pts

msstatelp1
01-03-2021, 01:51 PM
Halftime
Miss. State 34
Kentucky 36

Rickea Jackson 9 pts
JaMya Mingo-Young 9 pts
Aliyah Matharu 5 pts

I feel like we're lucky to only be down 2. This is the first chance I've had to watch the team this season but it seems like we're standing around a lot more on offense than we did with Vic. There's been numerous times Taylor has driven the ball into the lane and has no one to pass it to. Someone had said something about this during an earlier game and I thought it might be because we've had a very disjointed schedule but I'm beginning to wonder.

preachermatt83
01-03-2021, 02:06 PM
Been saying from the get go we gonna miss Vic so bad.

maroonmania
01-03-2021, 02:15 PM
Been saying from the get go we gonna miss Vic so bad.

Given he was probably the best coach in any sport at MSU maybe ever, I think that was a given.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:19 PM
Dawgs on massive run

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:20 PM
Given he was probably the best coach in any sport at MSU maybe ever, I think that was a given.

Hard to argue that based on results and what he built.

msstate7
01-03-2021, 02:22 PM
Not watching, but I am checking score on espn app. Seems to be a good game

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Like last night UK shooting lights out. Jackson on fire.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:28 PM
Not watching, but I am checking score on espn app. Seems to be a good game

It is a good one. Good fight from this team

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:31 PM
Martharu is like Molinar - fearless and clutch

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:31 PM
Pathetic foul call on Jackson on Howard the UK treatment continues

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:32 PM
Matharu taking over game

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:33 PM
Not sure how season turns out for this team but the pieces are there.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:38 PM
Wiggins has looked good today in return

ZedFedder
01-03-2021, 02:39 PM
Kentucky is no slouch either. This would be a big win.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:43 PM
Well we blew this game just like men

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:44 PM
UK has shot the lights out, season best 3 ptrs. We literally threw this game away in last minutes after we had largest lead with 3 to play. Ain't over yet but we must score this possession or it is over.

Cooterpoot
01-03-2021, 02:45 PM
This is like watching a Howland team. Offensively they try to play too much one on three. Just terrible sets with a 6 point lead. No defense down the stretch either. Jackson looks scared to shoot.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:46 PM
Huge 2 and foul by Carter.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:47 PM
Tied UK ball to go for win, come on dawgs. Look for refs to call a foul on us somewhere. Been bailing out Howard the second half.

Cooterpoot
01-03-2021, 02:50 PM
That last set with Carter getting the shot was better. Jackson needs to step up.

Cooterpoot
01-03-2021, 02:52 PM
Another bad set...

jdelta02
01-03-2021, 02:52 PM
Overtime

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:53 PM
OT, another horrible set to end game for us. We deserve to lose now.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:54 PM
There go the refs bailing Howard out. All ball on Wiggins and they call foul.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:55 PM
Martharu is tough. She is one of our go to stars.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:57 PM
UK has no answer for Carter. That should be all day

Cooterpoot
01-03-2021, 02:58 PM
Jackson just looks out of sorts. Did vs GA at times too. We don't get her the ball enough.

Cooterpoot
01-03-2021, 03:02 PM
We refuse to work the ball to our bigs. Awful offense again.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 03:03 PM
Horrific no one blocks out their best player. We had 3 players to block her out and no one did anything. We deserve to lose, no sense of urgency or will to win.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 03:04 PM
I don't understand to complacency. How could you not be locked in on what to do in that situation?

Cooterpoot
01-03-2021, 03:05 PM
We're lazy as hell on defense at times. Offense is straight guard play since late in the second half. Completely abandoned working it to Carter and Jackson.

trob115
01-03-2021, 03:06 PM
I?ll say it again, our coach is LAZY. Horrible effort on defense.

Cooterpoot
01-03-2021, 03:06 PM
This team isn't winning shit this year. We've taken a huge hit in coaching.

ZedFedder
01-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Not good, y’all.

CaptainObvious
01-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Poorly coached game. You have to make anybody but Howard beat you, on defense, sure. But you have to have a plan to call timeout when you get the ball and see that UK has pushed all 5 of your players our beyond the 3 pt line.

TimberBeast
01-03-2021, 03:08 PM
I?ll say it again, our coach is LAZY. Horrible effort on defense.

This looks to be correct. Our players are extremely lazy. It was fun while it lasted.

drummerdawg
01-03-2021, 03:10 PM
This team isn't winning shit this year. We've taken a huge hit in coaching.

Yes, Vic never struggled with Kentucky...

Bothrops
I knew this gig was up when Vic left us in the cold.

CaptainObvious
Yep. This is a double digit SEC loss team in the making. Now we know why UT didn?t go after her when they made their coaching change.

msstate7
01-03-2021, 03:11 PM
I'd at least give our new coach the rest of the season to judge her. She's in an almost impossible situation to succeed in by following a legend.

Bothrops
01-03-2021, 03:13 PM
Vic will be the last legend we have in any kind of basketball.

ZedFedder
01-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Here is where I personally am. Am I concerned? Yes, I certainly am. Is it possible NMP turns out to be just fine? Certainly. You can play either side with reasonable conviction right now.

CaptainObvious
01-03-2021, 03:17 PM
I'd at least give our new coach the rest of the season to judge her. She's in an almost impossible situation to succeed in by following a legend.

And she walked into more talent than Vic won with. You may be right though.she may not know how to balance the use of all the talent. When this team gets kept out of the paint, they are not as good.

PendingTransaction
01-03-2021, 03:22 PM
I see a team with a lot of talent. An offense with multiple scorers and a star player who is having a tough time sharing the stardom. I think she costed us the game in regulation. There are a couple of players not giving it all on defense. But to attribute this loss and the teams overall play to the coach being LAZY is disingenuous at best and fueled by an agenda and bias at worst. I lean toward the latter.

trob115
01-03-2021, 03:27 PM
I don't see us finishing top 4 in conference.

KOdawg1
01-03-2021, 03:37 PM
When does baseball season start?

jdelta02
01-03-2021, 03:37 PM
Final
Miss. State 86
Kentucky 92

Rickea Jackson 23 pts
Aliyah Matharu 19 pts
Jessika Carter 14 pts, 13 rbs

Kentucky
Rhyne Howard 33 pts (exploded in the 4th quarter, and overtime)

(Few Notes) Kentucky with 14...3 pointers, 14 of 28 for 50% in the game. Rickea Jackson was out playing R. Howard offensively for most of the game, pretty much hit a wall after her 23rd point...started repeatedly turning the ball over going down the stretch of regulation. Also, Aliyah Matharu was a big key to keeping Miss. State in the game.

Big key with R. Jackson is consistency, especially dealing with turnovers (pretty good amount), and overall consistency (big key to helping limit her potential)...very capable of going on turnover sprees (example...Miss. State with 6 point lead late in regulation), and extended shot making lapses. Not saying that the loss was her fault....wins and losses are generally a TEAM effort. Suggest evaluate her approach offensively, make neccessary adjustments. Also...team keep working on getting out on the perimeter shooters. Lots of basketball left to be played, keep your heads up young ladies, team, fans.

tcdog70
01-03-2021, 04:27 PM
We can’t defend. Wide open 3s. Too many players guarding nobody. You have to defend the 3 point line. Nikki has some work to do. She hasn’t looked good.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 05:51 PM
I see a team with a lot of talent. An offense with multiple scorers and a star player who is having a tough time sharing the stardom. I think she costed us the game in regulation. There are a couple of players not giving it all on defense. But to attribute this loss and the teams overall play to the coach being LAZY is disingenuous at best and fueled by an agenda and bias at worst. I lean toward the latter.

We are not terrible coached but we aren't well coached either. How can you not be telling your team to box out at the end with 3 state players on the block and no one touches Howard under the goal?

That is just elementary school bad right there. If you can't win with the talent there now, don't see it getting any better. We are loaded twice as much as Vic ever had.

DownwardDawg
01-03-2021, 05:52 PM
I think most of our fans realized that it was a fun sport for a while. It was our best chance at a Natty but that's gone now. Baseball is our best chance again.

AROB44
01-03-2021, 06:14 PM
We lost....of course that's the coach's fault. We never lose because the other team is better. It's always because of the coach, the refs, etc.

TimberBeast
01-03-2021, 06:39 PM
We lost....of course that's the coach's fault. We never lose because the other team is better. It's always because of the coach, the refs, etc.

Neither South Florida or Kentucky is better than we are, nor will the other teams we lose to this season outside South Carolina and possibly Arkansas.

LC Dawg
01-03-2021, 06:55 PM
We had a 6 point lead with 3:00 minutes left and we decided to use a little time instead of playing our offense and attacking. That's when we lost the game in my opinion.
I'll never understand why coaches do that.

CaptainObvious
01-03-2021, 06:56 PM
Neither South Florida or Kentucky is better than we are, nor will the other teams we lose to this season outside South Carolina and possibly Arkansas.

And A&M and LSU and possibly Tennessee

maroonmania
01-03-2021, 07:29 PM
We had a 6 point lead with 3:00 minutes left and we decided to use a little time instead of playing our offense and attacking. That's when we lost the game in my opinion.
I'll never understand why coaches do that.

We also played exceptionally poor defense on the one player they had that could beat us single handedly. When we were actually trying to defend Howard toward the end of the game, which we should have probably had 2 people on her most of the time, it was with Mathura. She is just not big enough to match up with Howard. At some point, after we had been burned one possession after another, our coach should have made some defensive adjustments. At one point in the 4th quarter Howard scored 12 straight points for them and she scored most of their points in OT.

Dawg2003
01-03-2021, 07:31 PM
And she walked into more talent than Vic won with. You may be right though.she may not know how to balance the use of all the talent. When this team gets kept out of the paint, they are not as good.

Vic lost to two unranked teams with the same group of players last year. He also got embarrassed by Kentucky last year in Lexington. Also, Kentucky has more talent and experience than us this year. Mitchell always recruited well, and they have a loaded team this year with the best player the country in Ryhne Howard. This game was always going to be a toss up, and the score reflected that.

Dawg2003
01-03-2021, 07:32 PM

Kentucky has more talent and more experienced players than us.

KOdawg1
01-03-2021, 08:00 PM

Kentucky is not better than us. The talent on this team is unreal.

KOdawg1
01-03-2021, 08:01 PM
Kentucky has more talent and more experienced players than us.

Experienced maybe, but to say they are more talented is just incorrect. The recruiting rankings will back that up.

confucius say
01-03-2021, 08:08 PM

Sounds like joe moe honestly. Never want to be the guy who follows the guy

Dawg2003
01-03-2021, 08:09 PM
Experienced maybe, but to say they are more talented is just incorrect. The recruiting rankings will back that up.

They have five players that are 5 stars- ranked 4, 17, 25, 32, 34 out of high school. One of their players is the pre-season pick for National POY.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
01-03-2021, 08:20 PM
Sounds like joe moe honestly. Never want to be the guy who follows the guy

Slightly different scenario. At least jomo didn?t have to follow two championship final appearances.

Irondawg
01-03-2021, 08:53 PM
I keep seeing so many people of the opinion that our team is absolutely loaded with talent and I just don’t think it’s true.

We are very good but we are far from elite and I don’t think people realize how much better overall women’s basketball has gotten in the last 8 years.

Carter is a beast offensively but is not a great post defender. Jackson has elite scoring potential but I’m starting to wonder how well she really understands the game as her spacial awareness is still an issue.

Matharu is really the only player we have that can score consistently. I still think she might be a better natural scorer than Rickea but we’ve kinda annoited Jackson as our alpha.

We don’t have a great natural rebounder or we don’t have a lot of good passers.

Clearly we are a top 15 team but I’m not sure we are sure fire top 8

confucius say
01-03-2021, 09:07 PM
Slightly different scenario. At least jomo didn?t have to follow two championship final appearances.

I agree. I just meant nmp and joe both followed the best ever at our school in their respective sport in Dan and Vic. Interestingly, both nmp and joe strive to be relationship builders and friends with their players, whereas Vic and Dan were more hard asses. That's my biggest concern with nmp. Our toughness has gone to sh*t, same way that happened under joe.

tcdog70
01-03-2021, 11:36 PM
We also played exceptionally poor defense on the one player they had that could beat us single handedly. When we were actually trying to defend Howard toward the end of the game, which we should have probably had 2 people on her most of the time, it was with Mathura. She is just not big enough to match up with Howard. At some point, after we had been burned one possession after another, our coach should have made some defensive adjustments. At one point in the 4th quarter Howard scored 12 straight points for them and she scored most of their points in OT.

Bibby would have been on Howard. Can?t guard her with 5?10? players.

Percho
01-04-2021, 12:33 AM
If you do not let shooters. shoot and run clock you put yourself in position to loose. We should have been setting up three point shots with Wiggins and Matharu.

KY had 14 extra points on threes.

PendingTransaction
01-04-2021, 12:34 AM
I agree. I just meant nmp and joe both followed the best ever at our school in their respective sport in Dan and Vic. Interestingly, both nmp and joe strive to be relationship builders and friends with their players, whereas Vic and Dan were more hard asses. That's my biggest concern with nmp. Our toughness has gone to sh*t, same way that happened under joe.

No one coaching style guarantees success. Calipari is quite the players coach and has done pretty well. Like it our not, the days of coaching players in a fashion that causes dislike in the name of toughness or some fear based respect are numbered. Thangs a changing!

Reunion Dog
01-04-2021, 01:57 AM
Hey... But they can be sharp & wipe their private parts with their hand on Tik Tok & shake that a$$...

Great hire Cohen... Ya woke idiot..

bulldawg28
01-04-2021, 06:18 AM
Hey... But they can be sharp & wipe their private parts with their hand on Tik Tok & shake that a$$...

Great hire Cohen... Ya woke idiot..

STFU idot

maroonmania
01-04-2021, 08:56 AM
No one coaching style guarantees success. Calipari is quite the players coach and has done pretty well. Like it our not, the days of coaching players in a fashion that causes dislike in the name of toughness or some fear based respect are numbered. Thangs a changing!

In both cases though it seems we drastically changed coaching styles. I certainly hope that the NMP hire ends up better than the JoMo hire but I agree that, in the case of JoMo, changing a HC that was an authority figure to a HC that was more of a buddy figure did not go well. I personally think Cohen made a mistake by not offering the WBB HC job to Johnnie Harris. Its not often that I would prefer an assistant get a HC job at MSU over another sitting HC that has shown some success but in the case of our WBB program I did. JH had a big part in building the program and culture that we had under Vic, and I think it would have been right to allow Harris the opportunity to keep that culture in place. NMP may work out but we made a change in the way things are done in our women's program when we didn't have to. We very well may end up regretting it. When things are really working well, a lot of times you are better to keep things as close as you can to what you already have in place. You don't always need to bring in someone from the outside.

confucius say
01-04-2021, 08:59 AM

Cal is super hard on his guys. He berates them during games every game. Calls them out in pressers. Just told one kid to leave.

Your kids have to be tough to win. How you go about accomplishing that as a coach can differ, I agree.

Dawg2003
01-04-2021, 12:20 PM
Why do y'all think NMP is a player's coach? I see her getting on the players during games and sitting them if they do something wrong. I don't know how she is outside of games.

PendingTransaction
01-04-2021, 02:16 PM
In both cases though it seems we drastically changed coaching styles. I certainly hope that the NMP hire ends up better than the JoMo hire but I agree that, in the case of JoMo, changing a HC that was an authority figure to a HC that was more of a buddy figure did not go well. I personally think Cohen made a mistake by not offering the WBB HC job to Johnnie Harris. Its not often that I would prefer an assistant get a HC job at MSU over another sitting HC that has shown some success but in the case of our WBB program I did. JH had a big part in building the program and culture that we had under Vic, and I think it would have been right to allow Harris the opportunity to keep that culture in place. NMP may work out but we made a change in the way things are done in our women's program when we didn't have to. We very well may end up regretting it. When things are really working well, a lot of times you are better to keep things as close as you can to what you already have in place. You don't always need to bring in someone from the outside.

JH played a major role in keeping the players from saying "17 this shat"