PDA

View Full Version : The SEC is down in football this year.

Sienfield
01-03-2021, 08:48 AM
I see this written every year on here but the SEC almost always dominate in the bowl games. The SEC is 6-2 this year with one game remaining. I know people will say oh this is the 2020 season and it doesn't count but it's not just 2020 though. I think 2014-15 was the last season the SEC didn't dominate but could be wrong.

I'm sure MSTATE7 can post some statics showing I'm wrong. I would be interested to see those though.

msudawg1200
01-03-2021, 09:09 AM
The last decade
2020-21 6-2(Thanks Dan and Barn)
2019-20 8-2(Thanks Moorhead and Gus)
2018-19 6-6
2017-18 5-6
2016-17 6-7
2015-16 9-2
2014-15 7-5
2013-14 7-3
2012-13 6-3
2011-12 6-3

confucius say
01-03-2021, 09:16 AM
I heard Brandon walker say smn this week that I think is true. In the age of opt outs and how bowl games are treated now, many of them are more indicative of what a team can be the following season instead of what they were the current season.

msstate7
01-03-2021, 09:19 AM
I said the ACC getting 2 in over the sec was a joke at the time. ACC was winless in bowls

NWADAWG
01-03-2021, 09:55 AM
I see this written every year on here but the SEC almost always dominate in the bowl games. The SEC is 6-2 this year with one game remaining. I know people will say oh this is the 2020 season and it doesn't count but it's not just 2020 though. I think 2014-15 was the last season the SEC didn't dominate but could be wrong.

I'm sure MSTATE7 can post some statics showing I'm wrong. I would be interested to see those though.

3 of those wins were unranked SEC teams beating ranked teams from other conferences.

CaptainObvious
01-03-2021, 10:00 AM
I always thought the reason the Talking heads called the SEC the best was because of all the regular season wins they piled up against other P5 conferences and teams like The Citadel, UT-Chattanooga, Louisiana-Monroe, and The University of Texas- Airport.

R2Dawg
01-03-2021, 02:08 PM
The SEC performance in bowls was pretty good but it just felt like SEC was down this year. Bama and TAMU were only real good teams. UF and UGA were OK, the rest were just average to bad.

Matchups in the bowls may have been a lot of bowl performance. Many of those ranked teams had no business being where they were.

But at end of the day, the SEC is the best even if it is down by its own standards. The comparison of the SEC is against itself, not other conf.

OSU could beat Bama. What does that mean? Nothing in my opinion. Strength of conf is the bottom half not the very top.

Jack Lambert
01-03-2021, 10:26 PM
The SEC performance in bowls was pretty good but it just felt like SEC was down this year. Bama and TAMU were only real good teams. UF and UGA were OK, the rest were just average to bad.

Matchups in the bowls may have been a lot of bowl performance. Many of those ranked teams had no business being where they were.

But at end of the day, the SEC is the best even if it is down by its own standards. The comparison of the SEC is against itself, not other conf.

OSU could beat Bama. What does that mean? Nothing in my opinion. Strength of conf is the bottom half not the very top.

I figure if we had spring training, played a regular season Vandy might have been the only team not bowl bound. It would have felt like normal.

Todd4State
01-03-2021, 10:30 PM
I always thought the reason the Talking heads called the SEC the best was because of all the regular season wins they piled up against other P5 conferences and teams like The Citadel, UT-Chattanooga, Louisiana-Monroe, and The University of Texas- Airport.

Well the thing the talking heads neglect is everyone plays cupcakes including the Big 10 and that really isn't a measuring stick as to how good a team/league is. It's basically an irrelevant talking point. The measuring stick for the league are the bowls and how many players the league puts in the NFL.

If you put MSU in the Big 10 we would be in the upper level of teams every year- not Ohio State level but we would win 8-10 games a year consistently.