PDA

View Full Version : This game reinforced one thing

War Machine Dawg
12-31-2020, 08:16 PM
The disparity between the P5 and G5 is bigger than most CFB fans and media types want to admit. We're a bad SEC team that was fairly lucky to finish 3-7. And we were incredibly sloppy again today on offense. But we still beat a ranked G5 team despite playing with a bunch of freshmen and having zero depth with all the "opt outs." Anyone arguing that the G5 deserves a playoff spot, even in an expanded 8 team format, is crazy. Bama/Clemson would murder whoever the 8 seed G5 team is.

KOdawg1
12-31-2020, 08:21 PM
They had 484 total yards to our 271.

We bent but didn't break on defense, and that plus the turnovers were the difference.

R2Dawg
12-31-2020, 08:21 PM
Yeah I thought the same thing. There are some good G5 teams but not 5 ranked G5 from the same conf. That is a joke.

msstate7
12-31-2020, 08:28 PM
They had 484 total yards to our 271.

We bent but didn't break on defense, and that plus the turnovers were the difference.

Yeah, we were fortunate to win this game.

KOdawg1
12-31-2020, 08:33 PM
Yeah, we were fortunate to win this game.

While it's great to win the game, it's still somewhat alarming that we could only muster 271 yards and 21 offensive points vs. a G5 team

War Machine Dawg
12-31-2020, 08:38 PM
While it's great to win the game, it's still somewhat alarming that we could only muster 271 yards and 21 offensive points vs. a G5 team

Very much so. It's no secret I didn't like the Leach hire because I don't believe you can be completely one dimensional and win in the SEC. It's only fair to see if he can improve the results with recruiting "his" players and an actual spring practice plus summer and fall camp, but based on what I've seen this season, I'm highly skeptical that will make any difference.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2020, 08:39 PM

absolutely. And we are losing our 2 starting guards.

Maroonthirteen
12-31-2020, 08:58 PM
UGA v Cincy will be a test of that theory. #1 GarbageUSA v top of SEC.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2020, 09:01 PM
FWIW, our passing yards this year are right on par with Leach's first years at Tech and Wazzou and we did it against an all SEC schedule.

I'm excited about how we ran the ball to end the season. We've got to get stronger and Kyle athletic at QB and our young RBs have to get stronger as well.

We're so much better now than we were to end last season.

TNDawg35
12-31-2020, 09:16 PM
I don’t understand some people. Some of you wanna say well we gave up 480 yards or well we don’t win without the turnovers they had, or we were lucky to win this game....

Who gives a shit!! It’s a win and a win is a win... In the books it don’t say shit about well they won but they gave up a lot of yards....

Last time I checked, turnovers and the other team playing offense is part of the game.

Some of Y’all would bitch if Leach won the damn sugar bowl....

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-31-2020, 09:23 PM
State was a 3 7 team going into a bowl game due to unstoppable circumstances that changed the way things normally go. To get a win is hard to be upset about.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-31-2020, 09:43 PM
UGA v Cincy will be a test of that theory. #1 GarbageUSA v top of SEC.

#1 G5 vs #4 SEC team you mean. Bama gap A&M UF UGA big gap everyone else is how the conference shook out

confucius say
12-31-2020, 09:47 PM
One of the reasons for yard disparity was Tulu kept returning to their 40. That's 35 yards that we didn't have to go every possession that started with a kickoff return, which I believe was 5 not counting the onside kick. So prob 150 yards.

I felt the game was pretty evenly matched. We have to get more explosive at outside wr and leach has to get more creative getting playmakers the ball.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-31-2020, 09:51 PM
FWIW, our passing yards this year are right on par with Leach's first years at Tech and Wazzou and we did it against an all SEC schedule.

I'm excited about how we ran the ball to end the season. We've got to get stronger and Kyle athletic at QB and our young RBs have to get stronger as well.

We're so much better now than we were to end last season.

ABSOLUTELY! Leach implemented that toss pitch early in the year, then vs OM I saw us finally start pulling OL, and i nthe last 2 games he was calling a lot more runs than he had in previous seasons. That gives me hope he's willing to go more run heavy.

We'll be better at QB next year wther it's by WIll learning and getting stronger or a new guy beating him out, better at RB as ours get stronger, better at WR as we get new guys in and will have a full offseason to rep it, and OL should be better. Remember, to start the year our C couldn't snap and our RT (Eiland and Johnson) couldn't block. Jones has been really solid at RT and he's young. Center has solved itself. Gotta replace the guards BUT that's the easiest OL spot to replace, and all the guys on this roster have now had a year in this system.

I don't think we light it up next year because we have a looooooong way to go from a speed and execution standpoint, BUT we will be better on O for sure. D probably will be too once we add Pickering an Peters back

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-31-2020, 09:53 PM
Why do people not take into consideration the number of players we lost before and through the season for various reasons. Look at what losing 5-6 players did to Florida last night. We basically started from scratch in August with players getting used to coaches and an entirely new scheme and then went through drama with losing players and fighting Covid and injuries. But everybody expects a well oiled machine. Did you notice the times we had 3 walk-on's playing defense today? Not 3 second teamer's, or even third teamer's, but walk-on's. But everybody makes a big deal about it when it happens to a Florida or LSU and gives them a pass. The best thing this year did was give a lot of players a lot of experience that they normally wouldn't have gotten. Not to knock any player, but I hope a Collin Duncan or a Shawn Preston is a third teamer next year because that would let me know that we would have a hell of a starter and backup. Florida lost 55-20 from losing 5-6 players. How many did we lose going back to the summer and through the season? Put a freshman QB, RB, LT and WR on any team in the SEC along with 3 walk-on's on defense and see how you end up.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2020, 09:54 PM
One of the reasons for yard disparity was Tulu kept returning to their 40. That's 35 yards that we didn't have to go every possession that started with a kickoff return, which I believe was 5 not counting the onside kick. So prob 150 yards.

I felt the game was pretty evenly matched. We have to get more explosive at outside wr and leach has to get more creative getting playmakers the ball.

138 return yards and 90 yards on an int.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2020, 10:08 PM
The bottom line is we were in control of the game from start to finish.

DownwardDawg
12-31-2020, 10:16 PM

This is a great point. But it will infuriate the bitchers on the site.

DownwardDawg
12-31-2020, 10:18 PM
The bottom line is we were in control of the game from start to finish.

Yep

msstate7
12-31-2020, 10:21 PM

This is our drive chart..
3 plays 39 yds td
3 plays 2 yds
7 plays 13 yds
7 plays 30 yards
7 plays 16 yards
9 plays 64 yards td
4 plays 5 yds
4 plays 12 yards
11 plays 65 yds td
3 plays 7 yds

It isn't like we were moving and just didn't have much field to move on

KOdawg1
12-31-2020, 10:26 PM
I don’t understand some people. Some of you wanna say well we gave up 480 yards or well we don’t win without the turnovers they had, or we were lucky to win this game....

Who gives a shit!! It’s a win and a win is a win... In the books it don’t say shit about well they won but they gave up a lot of yards....

Last time I checked, turnovers and the other team playing offense is part of the game.

Some of Y’all would bitch if Leach won the damn sugar bowl....

I don't see anyone bitching. Go to Gene's Page if you want sunshine 247.

LC Dawg
12-31-2020, 10:33 PM
I haven't really seen it mentioned but we had 30 rushes and 30 passes. A few of the rushes were scrambles (one was a td) but our running backs had 23 carries. That's got to be as balanced as any Leach offense ever.

R2Dawg
12-31-2020, 10:41 PM
I don't see anyone bitching. Go to Gene's Page if you want sunshine 247.

Ain't that the truth. That is why I left 247. Cancel culture started on Genes page years ago before it went national.

KOdawg1
12-31-2020, 10:45 PM
I haven't really seen it mentioned but we had 30 rushes and 30 passes. A few of the rushes were scrambles (one was a td) but our running backs had 23 carries. That's got to be as balanced as any Leach offense ever.

The improvement in the run game is something positive. If we can keep that while adding more explosive plays in the pass game, then this offense can work. I'm very pleased with the way we're running the ball.

KOdawg1
12-31-2020, 10:46 PM
Ain't that the truth. That is why I left 247. Cancel culture started on Genes page years ago before it went national.

I still have a subscription there but it's just for the recruiting news. I can't read the message board.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2020, 10:58 PM
I still have a subscription there but it's just for the recruiting news. I can't read the message board.

That message board is horrible.

RezDog7
12-31-2020, 11:05 PM
3 plays 39 yds td
3 plays 2 yds
7 plays 13 yds
7 plays 30 yards
7 plays 16 yards
9 plays 64 yards td
4 plays 5 yds
4 plays 12 yards
11 plays 65 yds td
3 plays 7 yds

Quit being such a whiny bitch. The whole damn offense is freshmen or sophomores that played in 27 degree rain storm. There were guys on the defense today that I had never even heard of before. Some of y'all are unbelievably annoying.

msstate7
12-31-2020, 11:07 PM
Quit being such a whiny bitch. The whole damn offense is freshmen or sophomores that played in 27 degree rain storm. There were guys on the defense today that I had never even heard of before. Some of y'all are unbelievably annoying.

Did the drive chart offend you?

HoopsDawg
12-31-2020, 11:07 PM

LOL, He literally just posted facts.

KOdawg1
12-31-2020, 11:11 PM

Facts don't care about your feelings

msstate7
12-31-2020, 11:11 PM

Here's another fact... this was our 6th game this year with less than 300 yards of total offense. We had 5 games of less than 300 yards from 2017-2019.

Coach34
12-31-2020, 11:14 PM
Did the drive chart offend you?

Why yes- it certainly did. We won because of a Pick-6 today. We had less than 300 yards while they approached 500 yards. People acting like we were in total control are delusional.

We ran the ball much more the last 2 games which is what is needed for this offense to work. We will be better next year- I certainly agree with that. But there are still alot of questions. Tulsa ran the 3-8 and was patient most of the day- it worked for them. They went to man in the red zone and got burned. I'm curios to see how the DC's adjust to us even more in 2021 now that they have gotten a taste of the Air Raid

KOdawg1
12-31-2020, 11:18 PM
Why yes- it certainly did. We won because of a Pick-6 today. We had less than 300 yards while they approached 500 yards. People acting like we were in total control are delusional.

We ran the ball much more the last 2 games which is what is needed for this offense to work. We will be better next year- I certainly agree with that. But there are still alot of questions. Tulsa ran the 3-8 and was patient most of the day- it worked for them. They went to man in the red zone and got burned. I'm curios to see how the DC's adjust to us even more in 2021 now that they have gotten a taste of the Air Raid

Hopefully we open up the playbook this off-season and add some play action and pre snap motion. We ran some two TE sets some today too, so that's intriguing.

A designed QB run would be effective but Leach will never do it.

RezDog7
12-31-2020, 11:18 PM

I also posted facts. The continued bitching has gotten old. Yeah, the offense sucks. But we also have a ton of freshmen abs sophomores playing.
Could the reason for the offensive problems be because we are extremely young? You wanted Leach to adapt abs run the ball. He did. If we don't get any better over the next two years them fire his ass but for some reason most of y'all can't understand all the issues the coaches and team have had to deal with this year. I'm just glad we got to play a season. Hopefully all these young guys will get much better next year.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2020, 11:19 PM
Here's another fact... this was our 6th game this year with less than 300 yards of total offense. We had 5 games of less than 300 yards from 2017-2019.

That's objectively brutal.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2020, 11:20 PM
I also posted facts. The continued bitching has gotten old. Yeah, the offense sucks. But we also have a ton of freshmen abs sophomores playing.
Could the reason for the offensive problems be because we are extremely young? You wanted Leach to adapt abs run the ball. He did. If we don't get any better over the next two years them fire his ass but for some reason most of y'all can't understand all the issues the coaches and team have had to deal with this year. I'm just glad we got to play a season. Hopefully all these young guys will get much better next year.

I'm pleased that we won. And yes, I'm glad we ran the ball more the last 2 games. Maybe Leach is adjusting.

RezDog7
12-31-2020, 11:38 PM
I'm pleased that we won. And yes, I'm glad we ran the ball more the last 2 games. Maybe Leach is adjusting.

That's all I'm trying to say. The offense has absolutely sucked for most of the year but I can objectively look at the issues and understand the reason for it. If we do not improve over the next two seasons, we need to move on.

Jarius
12-31-2020, 11:39 PM
That's objectively brutal.

The thing that almost got us beat today was play calling. The offense was run blocking very well and got the look to run the football literally every play. When it’s 35 degrees and raining and they give us that look we have to take it. I’m not upset about not being able to throw the ball because you shouldn’t be able to throw it effectively in that shit storm of weather. The fact that Tulsa did is absolutely amazing and a credit to them. I literally could not feel my fingers or toes today. I can’t imagine trying to execute pass plays in that shit.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2020, 11:44 PM

And Tulsa had the number 23 defense in the country. Not to pump a G5 defense but they obviously were very well coached and they were older.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2020, 11:46 PM
I thought we just played bad today, Will was crap, the conditions were awful.

Just glad we won and I'm not taking to much from it other than I think the toughness of our program is back and we're playing as a team again. That alone make me excited about the future.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2020, 11:54 PM
A bunch of freshmen and walkons found a way to win a bowl game against a ranked team, enjoy it guys. We have a tough minded players who want to win and play as a team!

Quaoarsking
01-01-2021, 12:19 AM
Anyone arguing that the G5 deserves a playoff spot, even in an expanded 8 team format, is crazy. Bama/Clemson would murder whoever the 8 seed G5 team is.

That's not a problem. In fact, it's a reward for the team to keep playing hard and grab the #1 seed rather than resting up once they know they're in the playoff. The 2 seeds would rarely lose to the 7s, but they would usually have a much harder game than the 1 seeds.

And with the best G5 team included in the bracket, you never have people doubting the legitimacy of the champion.

Sienfield
01-01-2021, 08:35 AM

If you want to take away our pick 6 then you have to take away our punt dribble. It evens out.

msstate7
01-01-2021, 08:36 AM

I've read this theory a few times now, so I checked out avg starting field position.

State: 10 possessions (threw out last one, recovered onside), avg starting possession was at state 32.5

Tulsa: 11 possessions, avg starting possession was at Tulsa 32.6

Virtually identical

Sienfield
01-01-2021, 08:46 AM
It seemed like every time Tulu made a big return we got called for a block in the back. This happens a lot on returns (not just us) which I would normally rather take the ball at the 25. Of course Tulsa was only kicking to the ten yard line so you have to try the run back in those cases.

No matter how you guys see the game we beat a ranked team and we were the underdog according to Vegas. Mullen hardly ever won as an underdog ( I just throw that in to lengthen this thread).

msstate7
01-01-2021, 08:48 AM
It seemed like every time Tulu made a big return we got called for a block in the back. This happens a lot on returns (not just us) which I would normally rather take the ball at the 25. Of course Tulsa was only kicking to the ten yard line so you have to try the run back in those cases.

No matter how you guys see the game we beat a ranked team and we were the underdog according to Vegas. Mullen hardly ever won as an underdog ( I just throw that in to lengthen this thread).

It was state -1 at kickoff. We covered though.

Sienfield
01-01-2021, 08:52 AM
It was state -1 at kickoff. We covered though.

I know it changed as the game time got closer but folks on here say that doesn't count.

msstate7
01-01-2021, 09:01 AM
I know it changed as the game time got closer but folks on here say that doesn't count.

I think that's probably right. Vegas considered Tulsa the favorite, and the public changed it.

confucius say
01-01-2021, 09:31 AM
3 plays 39 yds td
3 plays 2 yds
7 plays 13 yds
7 plays 30 yards
7 plays 16 yards
9 plays 64 yards td
4 plays 5 yds
4 plays 12 yards
11 plays 65 yds td
3 plays 7 yds

Fair point. But the scenarios presented change that chart and total yards. End of half we stopped drive and threw a Hail Mary. Last drive we sat on it to run clock bc they mathematically couldn't win without onside kick or our turnover. Forbes 90 yard TD removed a whole drive. Short field on first TD (marks goes for 65 instead of 30 on that TD run if we start on our 25).

They moved the ball better no doubt though.

confucius say
01-01-2021, 09:35 AM
I've read this theory a few times now, so I checked out avg starting field position.

State: 10 possessions (threw out last one, recovered onside), avg starting possession was at state 32.5

Virtually identical

Mean vs median argument.

Also doesn't account for missing a whole drive on Forbes TD or game situation (sitting on the ball the last two possessions to run clock).

msstate7
01-01-2021, 09:43 AM
Mean vs median argument.

Also doesn't account for missing a whole drive on Forbes TD or game situation (sitting on the ball the last two possessions to run clock).

State: 58 plays 277 yds = 4.8 yds/play
Tulsa: 86 plays 484 yds = 5.6 yds/play

I threw out our 2 kneels to end game.

Jacknut
01-01-2021, 09:54 AM
Fact. We never trailed in this game.
Fact. 28-26
Fact. Leach is still your football coach.

Happy New Year!

msstate7
01-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Fact. We never trailed in this game.
Fact. 28-26
Fact. Leach is still your football coach.

Happy New Year!

Finishing out the year with a 2-game win streak vs decent teams is certainly a nice note to go out on. As I stated in shotgun's thread, I feel better about leach than I did midseason. I was disappointed in the offense yesterday though. I wanted to see us build on the really nice offensive game vs mizzou. Nevertheless, we won. Hopefully we start seeing more consistency next season from the offense. Happy new year

confucius say
01-01-2021, 10:04 AM
State: 58 plays 277 yds = 4.8 yds/play
Tulsa: 86 plays 484 yds = 5.6 yds/play

I threw out our 2 kneels to end game.

That's about what I figured and paints a more accurate picture of the game flow. Throw out the Hail Mary, makes 57 plays for 277 yards, or 4.85 yards a play. For reference, that would equate to 417 yards vs their 484 if same amount of plays are run. Bout what I'd expect bc they moved the ball a little better than we did, just stalled out in the red zone a few times.

msstate7
01-01-2021, 10:13 AM
That's about what I figured and paints a more accurate picture of the game flow. Throw out the Hail Mary, makes 57 plays for 277 yards, or 4.85 yards a play. For reference, that would equate to 417 yards vs their 484 if same amount of plays are run. Bout what I'd expect bc they moved the ball a little better than we did, just stalled out in the red zone a few times.

4.85 is not good at all though. If we used these 2 avgs today, this is where they'd rank nationally...

4.85 = 107 out of 127
5.63 = tied for 67 out of 127

We finished year at #104 out of 127 at
4.92, so we were worse than normal.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2020/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort02.html

confucius say
01-01-2021, 10:25 AM
4.85 is not good at all though. If we used these 2 avgs today, this is where they'd rank nationally...

4.85 = 107 out of 127

http://www.cfbstats.com/2020/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort02.html

It was 35 degrees, raining the whole game, with a 15-20 mph north wind. It is no surprise both teams per play average was not good.

Johnson and marks averaged over 6 yards a carry combined (6.5 for one and 5.7 the other). Our backs rushed 23 times for 140 yards, over 6 yards a carry. I though that was encouraging. Showed progress.

msstate7
01-01-2021, 10:29 AM
It was 35 degrees, raining the whole game, with a 15-20 mph north wind. It is no surprise both teams per play average was not good.

Johnson and marks averaged over 6 yards a carry combined (6.5 for one and 5.7 the other). Our backs rushed 23 times for 140 yards, over 6 yards a carry. I though that was encouraging. Showed progress.

Tulsa yesterday slightly raised their yds/play to 5.58 against the #4 defense in the sec in yds/play. We finished defensively at 5.4 yds/play for the season, so Tulsa raised that number in 35 degrees, rain, and wind.

R2Dawg
01-01-2021, 10:34 AM

Virtually identical

I agree with your point, but the muffed punt helped their number a lot.

confucius say
01-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Tulsa yesterday slightly raised their yds/play to 5.58 against the #4 defense in the sec in yds/play. We finished defensively at 5.4 yds/play for the season, so Tulsa raised that number in 35 degrees, rain, and wind.

They threw and caught better than we did in the elements. No doubt. But they were also playing catch up and had to throw more, driving up yards per play. Especially late. It's why we forced turnovers too. Perfect example of the importance of game flow.

R2Dawg
01-01-2021, 10:37 AM

4.85 = 107 out of 127

We still have a long ways to go to live up to the offensive guru status to be the vaunted "air raid". I agree with others, the run game the past two games is encouraging.

confucius say
01-01-2021, 10:42 AM
We still have a long ways to go to live up to the offensive guru status to be the vaunted "air raid". I agree with others, the run game the past two games is encouraging.

We sure do. Not surprised though. All of our playmakers on offense are true freshmen. Marks, Johnson, walley, Tulu, Rogers (guess you could count Heath and Austin Williams, but I don't think they are playmakers).

Biggest question is whether Rogers is your future.

msstate7
01-01-2021, 10:48 AM

There were 2 things that impressed me yesterday from the offense:
1. I thought we looked solid running the ball.
2. After Tulsa scored a td to make it 21-19, we went 65 yards to answer them. Rogers was 5/6 on the drive. Johnson also converted a 3rd and 1 on the ground... loved that we ran on a running down, and we converted..

chef dixon
01-01-2021, 02:34 PM
The disparity between the P5 and G5 is bigger than most CFB fans and media types want to admit. We're a bad SEC team that was fairly lucky to finish 3-7. And we were incredibly sloppy again today on offense. But we still beat a ranked G5 team despite playing with a bunch of freshmen and having zero depth with all the "opt outs." Anyone arguing that the G5 deserves a playoff spot, even in an expanded 8 team format, is crazy. Bama/Clemson would murder whoever the 8 seed G5 team is.

This is aging well

Commercecomet24
01-01-2021, 02:45 PM
There were 2 things that impressed me yesterday from the offense:
1. I thought we looked solid running the ball.
2. After Tulsa scored a td to make it 21-19, we went 65 yards to answer them. Rogers was 5/6 on the drive. Johnson also converted a 3rd and 1 on the ground... loved that we ran on a running down, and we converted..

Yep, we made the plays we had to
make when they had to be made, found a way to win, that's huge to me. All the years I coached baseball I always preached that one team will make the plays to win, so there's no excuses, just make the plays. There ain't no ugly wins.

Jack Lambert
01-01-2021, 07:47 PM
Chances are this would have been a 8-3 G5 Vs 6-6 SEC if this was a normal season. We really had everything going against us in this game. We had to play way too many Freshman and had no way to relieve them during the game. Almost like Iron Man football.

RougeDawg
01-01-2021, 08:05 PM
Chances are this would have been a 8-3 G5 Vs 6-6 SEC if this was a normal season. We really had everything going against us in this game. We had to play way too many Freshman and had no way to relieve them during the game. Almost like Iron Man football.

Naw man. Don?t you know a bunch of freshmen who missed an entire spring and summer to learn an entirely new offense, should be racing up and down the field to 400-500 yards per game? The air raid should have immediately clicked with all these all sec receivers on the roster and a true freshman QB

Oh and these **.

RezDog7
01-01-2021, 11:29 PM

Did you forget about guys starting on defense that we had never heard of before?

msstate7
01-01-2021, 11:33 PM
Did you forget about guys starting on defense that we had never heard of before?

Didn't tulsa play without the Nagurski Trophy winner?