PDA

View Full Version : In case you arent watching- Mullen is going Power Spread again

Coach34
12-30-2020, 09:11 PM
His young QB's are in no way drop back passers. They are Spread Option QB's

R2Dawg
12-30-2020, 09:14 PM
Yep I predicted that yesterday when all the WR opted out. Right move I think with talent available.

RocketDawg
12-30-2020, 09:20 PM
Yep I predicted that yesterday when all the WR opted out. Right move I think with talent available.

The guys who opted out because of the draft - does the school also opt out of the remainder of their scholarships? It might not matter to the players with the millions they'll make in the NFL, but it seems like the school would do that.

msu15
12-30-2020, 09:24 PM
Ugly and boring to watch

Coach34
12-30-2020, 09:29 PM
A mobile QB is way more exciting than a guy thats just drops and throws.

grinnindawg
12-30-2020, 09:35 PM
And in typical Mullen fashion, goes away from what was working.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-30-2020, 09:36 PM
11 personnel, throwing most of the time, no QB run threat... maybe they were in power spread when Jones was the QB, but all this post was clearly premature. Nothing about this is power spread. Same formations JoMo used but passing even more with less QB runs.

fact is, Florida has no WRs. They probably should have implicated option concepts, but I will say their O would be killing it with SEC ready WRs.

Coach34
12-30-2020, 09:43 PM
11 personnel, throwing most of the time, no QB run threat... maybe they were in power spread when Jones was the QB, but all this post was clearly premature. Nothing about this is power spread. Same formations JoMo used but passing even more with less QB runs.

fact is, Florida has no WRs. They probably should have implicated option concepts, but I will say their O would be killing it with SEC ready WRs.

The post was made when Fla was using their 2 back-up QB's who are Spread Option QB's. When Trask leaves- unless Mullen gets a transfer- he is back to his 2013/2014/2017 offense at State.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-30-2020, 09:46 PM

But is it more effective? Florida has had a great O when they had their starting WRs. Bama has the best O in t he country and Jones almost never runs. Burrow could run a little, but that had very little impact on most games. Then you have the increased injury risk if the QB runs. Clemson barely calls anything that puts Lawrence at risk of getting tackled.

I see College and NFL meeting in the middle on this; NFL QBs are running a bit, college QBs scramble and slide more than they used too. These days QB legs are more for an extra 30 ypg picked up on broken plays than they are to open up the playbook or change defensive schemes.

In the same way NFL teams are scared to risk their long term QB investment, college coaches think long term about their QBs since most take over as starters with 2-3 years to play

Coach34
12-30-2020, 09:51 PM
But is it more effective?

Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, and Kyler Murray say yes. Just to name a few. Hell, I wish Mullen had coached Fitz in 2018 and I guarantee that season turns out better also.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-30-2020, 09:53 PM
The post was made when Fla was using their 2 back-up QB's who are Spread Option QB's. When Trask leaves- unless Mullen gets a transfer- he is back to his 2013/2014/2017 offense at State.

If he's sacrificing passing to do that he's an idiot- the game is about getting 4* athletes on the edge and getting the ball placed where they can make a play. ******* run heavy O failed every time he played a good D because you just can't reliably expect their front 7 to be blocked up or miss assignments.

Look at what Florida did to Bama this year. 46 points with zero QB running threat. That doesn't happen with a power spread scheme

Coach34
12-30-2020, 09:54 PM
Hell, Corral averaged 10 carries per game this year and look how it helped their offense

Coach34
12-30-2020, 09:59 PM
If he's sacrificing passing to do that he's an idiot- the game is about getting 4* athletes on the edge and getting the ball placed where they can make a play. ******* run heavy O failed every time he played a good D because you just can't reliably expect their front 7 to be blocked up or miss assignments.

Look at what Florida did to Bama this year. 46 points with zero QB running threat. That doesn't happen with a power spread scheme

Mullen struggled vs Bama because we never had WR talent that could make them worry. Our best group in 2014 made the game close. Deshaun Watson did pretty well against Bama dont you think? Corral? Chad Kelly ran the ball 9-10 times per game. A mobile QB is tough on defenses. Nobody is saying you need a QB that can only run- but you need a QB that CAN run

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-30-2020, 10:01 PM
Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, and Kyler Murray say yes. Just to name a few. Hell, I wish Mullen had coached Fitz in 2018 and I guarantee that season turns out better also.

Obviously mobile guys that go onto be starters in the NFL are great to have in college. Marshall is the only one who isn't a great QB. But guess what? An NFL QB will probably be effective in college, duel threat or pro style.

I'm speaking about general college QBs. Not 5*s that have both elite arms and legs; obviously that's best. 4*s that are either not very mobile (like Sawyer Robertson) or mobile but need work to be accurate. Which one is best to build the program around if you can't get a 5* with both? I think you go Pro style, sell WRs on passing to get the playmakers, and use the RB to punish teams on the ground if they get unbalanced trying to stop your run. But you've gotta be pass first. Almost all the great O's are built like this. It's just too hard ot have 5 OL and a TE consistently win their assignments vs 6-7 man boxes when the opponents have Bama level talent. You see OM and FLorida and last years' LSU throwing it all over Bama, you NEVER see them get taken to the woodshed on the ground. Its easier to get 1/4 receivers to beat a DB than it is to get 6 blockers to win assignments 3x in a row all to gain the same yardage as 1 pass completion

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-30-2020, 10:12 PM
Mullen struggled vs Bama because we never had WR talent that could make them worry. Our best group in 2014 made the game close. Deshaun Watson did pretty well against Bama dont you think? Corral? Chad Kelly ran the ball 9-10 times per game. A mobile QB is tough on defenses. Nobody is saying you need a QB that can only run- but you need a QB that CAN run

Yet Florida put up 46 with Trask.

Look, overall as far as beating the elite teams, I agree with you- you need a QB that CAN run. Those extra 2 first downs off scrambles are often the difference when the margin for error is so small. But if you've got a mobile QB that can throw really well, you've got a 1st round QB that should have been a 5*. Obviously almost every O in the country looks better if you inject that at QB.

I'm saying that you can have an elite O without a mobile QB if you have a good OL and skill position players. You cannot have a really good O if the QB can't throw. Therefore if you can't get 5* talents, your best bet is to recruit passers and sell that fact to WRs and hope you can get good skill guys to surround him

msu15
12-30-2020, 10:26 PM
Yea that game plan is really working. Outdated offense and outdated defense on display here for the Gators. They'd be hell on wheels if this was still 2005.

bobcat91
12-30-2020, 10:29 PM
Ole Danny boy is getting it shoved up his ass sideways. With his power spread. After the loss he will be 8-4. Pretty much what he was here.

Commercecomet24
12-30-2020, 10:36 PM
Dan is such an enigma. A good coach who loses focus at times during the season and his teams never play a complete season. Either start great and fade(again this year) or start bad and get better. He's had an odd career. 2 chances to get in the playoffs(2014 and this year) and he pissed them away.

defiantdog
12-30-2020, 10:37 PM
Florida offense looks boring and slow..... They're defense looks like Sirmon coaching them.

Coach34
12-30-2020, 10:43 PM
They are playing alot of back-ups tonight. Nothing close to what played Bama

Turfdawg67
12-30-2020, 10:48 PM

Bunch of backups against LSU too, huh? This is just typical Mullen and why he'll never be an elite coach and will never win a Natty.

Commercecomet24
12-30-2020, 10:53 PM
Bunch of backups against LSU too, huh? This is just typical Mullen and why he'll never be an elite coach and will never win a Natty.

Yeah he really is odd. A good coach who always seems to screw up when it counts the most.

bobcat91
12-30-2020, 10:57 PM
This was Derek Cody today. Pretty much sums Danny boy up.

https://twitter.com/derekcody/status/1344402481636380674?s=19

defiantdog
12-30-2020, 10:59 PM
In case you aren't watching - Mullen is showing his cards and the defense is reading him before the play. And don't say it's because they're backups. We had backups against georgia, ole miss, and missouri and I didn't hear any excuses there. Mullen is getting out-coached and his "adapting" the offense to the players only got him 13 on a Big 12 defense.

msu15
12-30-2020, 11:02 PM

Lol, you definitely are in the minority there.

Commercecomet24
12-30-2020, 11:18 PM
Big game Dan strikes again. Embarrassing

Westdawg
12-30-2020, 11:25 PM
Tell you guys something -
this Richardson kid that Mullen has at QB (true Frosh) looks a whooooollllleeeee lot like a young Cam Newton

Thick
12-30-2020, 11:39 PM
So all of you are saying that if Leach had Dak that we would not have had a better offense and at least won 2 maybe 3 more games? Before you answer, remember, Leach will always have a good passing QB. The purpose is the addition of a QB with legs and is a good passer.

Thick
12-30-2020, 11:40 PM
this Richardson kid that Mullen has at QB (true Frosh) looks a whooooollllleeeee lot like a young Cam Newton

The first time I saw him play earlier this year, I said the exact same thing.

Commercecomet24
12-30-2020, 11:42 PM
So all of you are saying that if Leach had Dak that we would not have had a better offense and at least won 2 maybe 3 more games? Before you answer, remember, Leach will always have a good passing QB. The purpose is the addition of a QB with legs and is a good passer.

This.

Bdawg
12-31-2020, 12:52 AM

If he's sitting in the pocket dropping dimes and scoring touchdowns, I'm pretty damn excited!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-31-2020, 06:50 AM

So Dan gets an excuse, but Leach doesn't cause you don't like his system?

BrunswickDawg
12-31-2020, 07:44 AM
Big game Dan strikes again. Embarrassing

Now 13-38 in his career against ranked teams. Only team UF beat with a winning record this year was UGA. This UF team was talented, but all UF fans will see this off season is 8-4 and missed opportunities and Dan's antics and the team shitting the bed the last 3 games. Dan's clock is now ticking like the crocodile in Peter Pan. Those crazy gator fans are swimming up out of the swamp and are hungry. Tick tock. Tick tock.

Ari Gold
12-31-2020, 08:08 AM
Where are the Mullen recruits ??.
He doesn’t have any underclassmen WR or skill players to plug in that are big time guys ?
These are HIS players and his team going forward now

Never his fault. Always excuses or blaming someone else..

Good luck Gator Nation..

BrunswickDawg
12-31-2020, 08:15 AM
Where are the Mullen recruits ??.
He doesn’t have any underclassmen WR or skill players to plug in that are big time guys ?
These are HIS players and his team going forward now

Never his fault. Always excuses or blaming someone else..

Good luck Gator Nation..

https://media.tenor.com/images/87017e1f6b17d76f85a845090458fd61/tenor.gif

msstate7
12-31-2020, 08:21 AM
But is it more effective? Florida has had a great O when they had their starting WRs. Bama has the best O in t he country and Jones almost never runs. Burrow could run a little, but that had very little impact on most games. Then you have the increased injury risk if the QB runs. Clemson barely calls anything that puts Lawrence at risk of getting tackled.

I see College and NFL meeting in the middle on this; NFL QBs are running a bit, college QBs scramble and slide more than they used too. These days QB legs are more for an extra 30 ypg picked up on broken plays than they are to open up the playbook or change defensive schemes.

In the same way NFL teams are scared to risk their long term QB investment, college coaches think long term about their QBs since most take over as starters with 2-3 years to play

Ever watched an urban meyer team?

DownwardDawg
12-31-2020, 10:22 AM
I'll say it again, Mullen is a good coach. He's a long way from being a great coach.

msstate7
12-31-2020, 10:28 AM
I'll say it again, Mullen is a good coach. He's a long way from being a great coach.

I think he's pretty good. I think he has a ceiling bc he isn't a great recruiter. If the field is leveled like everyone seems to want, Mullen might become elite bc he can really coach and he's a good evaluator

bulldawg28
12-31-2020, 11:15 AM

They are going to win a lot of games with him as the starter.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2020, 12:03 PM
Now 13-38 in his career against ranked teams. Only team UF beat with a winning record this year was UGA. This UF team was talented, but all UF fans will see this off season is 8-4 and missed opportunities and Dan's antics and the team shitting the bed the last 3 games. Dan's clock is now ticking like the crocodile in Peter Pan. Those crazy gator fans are swimming up out of the swamp and are hungry. Tick tock. Tick tock.

You nailed it.

R2Dawg
12-31-2020, 12:11 PM

Yep, chickens coming home to roost. Dan is what he is - a good coach but not a great coach. That won't cut it in Gator country.

Coach34
12-31-2020, 12:21 PM
Mullen is a great coach- but an average recruiter. Thats the difference in him and other big coaches like Urban, Saban, Dabo, etc