PDA

View Full Version : Dwayne Haskins released

somebodyshotmypaw
12-28-2020, 01:09 PM
The Washington Football Team has released former first rounder Dwayne Haskins. I remember when the Giants drafted Daniel Jones in the first round with Haskins still being available. Cris Carter said the Giants were racist and Jones was picked ahead of Haskins because of racism. A few players agreed. While the jury is still out on Jones, he has at least proven to be miles better than Haskins. To my knowledge, Carter has never apologized. Idiot.

Jacksondevildog
12-28-2020, 01:23 PM
Haskins has shown that he?s a clown.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-28-2020, 01:26 PM
Haskins has shown that he?s a clown.

Yep. He needs to go join the circus.

StarkVegasSteve
12-28-2020, 01:30 PM
He's not very good. He wasn't very good in college either. I thought Washington was idiotic at the time when they picked him. Jones was by far the superior pick. It had nothing to do with race. Haskins was/is a one read QB and those get eaten alive at the NFL level.

Goldendawg
12-28-2020, 01:31 PM
The release is at least one game too late.

DawgNamedScuba
12-28-2020, 02:21 PM
Now im wondering if he get picked up by another team or we see him in the XFL in 2022? Im leaning towards XFL.

msstate7
12-28-2020, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty shocked he's been as bad as he's been. I hope Sean Payton signs him to practice squad if he's available after the season. Lottery ticket.

Saltydog
12-28-2020, 05:12 PM
Cardale Jones 2.0.....

MetEdDawg
12-28-2020, 05:17 PM
I'll be interested to look back 3-5 years from today and see just how good this high profile program QBs end up being. Mayfield, Murray, Tua, Hurts, Lawrence, Haskins, Fields, and Jones.

It's been a very long time since we've had that many blue bloods put out this many 1st round picks in a short period of time. Will be interesting to see if there's a pattern of failure due to inability to adjust to a more even playing field.

thf24
12-28-2020, 05:20 PM
I'm pretty shocked he's been as bad as he's been. I hope Sean Payton signs him to practice squad if he's available after the season. Lottery ticket.

It's not shocking at all if all the reports about his consistently atrocious work ethic since arriving in the League are accurate. I'm sure someone will give him another shot, but unless he can do a hard 180 in the maturity department, it won't last long.

DownwardDawg
12-28-2020, 05:25 PM
Lee Corso got up and walked out on live TV and said "Haskins!!!"
Lmao. Idiots.

Dogbone
12-28-2020, 05:32 PM
Lee Corso got up and walked out on live TV and said "Haskins!!!"
Lmao. Idiots.

A high percentage of fault can be attributed to the media...espn..etc.. for making some of these players something they're not.

msstate7
12-28-2020, 05:42 PM
I'll be interested to look back 3-5 years from today and see just how good this high profile program QBs end up being. Mayfield, Murray, Tua, Hurts, Lawrence, Haskins, Fields, and Jones.

It's been a very long time since we've had that many blue bloods put out this many 1st round picks in a short period of time. Will be interesting to see if there's a pattern of failure due to inability to adjust to a more even playing field.

Burrow looked pretty dang good before the injury.

MetEdDawg
12-28-2020, 06:36 PM
Burrow looked pretty dang good before the injury.

I didn't include Burrow on the list because I didn't really throw them into that consistent contender group. I stuck with Bama, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Ohio State. Those are really the only 4 that yearly will have a consistent shot.

But you could include him and it would make sense.

Coach34
12-28-2020, 07:56 PM
Some guys are busts and it is what it is. He was a reach in the 1st and it ended badly. Very typical of the Redskins decisions the last 20 years offensively.

defiantdog
12-28-2020, 08:34 PM
Typical Ohio State QB..... Hopefully Joe Burrow got out of that curse early.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2020, 10:56 PM
He's not very good. He wasn't very good in college either. I thought Washington was idiotic at the time when they picked him. Jones was by far the superior pick. It had nothing to do with race. Haskins was/is a one read QB and those get eaten alive at the NFL level.

Haskins went to Dan Snyder's son's HS. I Kid you not, that was the draw

msstate7
12-28-2020, 11:01 PM
Everyone had Haskins going in the 1st round.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-29-2020, 06:46 PM
Everyone had Haskins going in the 1st round.

But was that because he was a 1st round QB, or because teams are so desperate for QBs they take 2-3rd round talents in the 1st? Genuine question as I didn't follow that draft

msstate7
12-29-2020, 07:11 PM
But was that because he was a 1st round QB, or because teams are so desperate for QBs they take 2-3rd round talents in the 1st? Genuine question as I didn't follow that draft

Not sure. Just stated it to point out the redskins weren't thought to be reaching at the time.

viverlibre
12-29-2020, 11:03 PM
It's not shocking at all if all the reports about his consistently atrocious work ethic since arriving in the League are accurate. I'm sure someone will give him another shot, but unless he can do a hard 180 in the maturity department, it won't last long.

Jamarcus Russell never got another shot.

Jarius
12-29-2020, 11:10 PM
Just about every single quarterback in the nfl that ends up being a really good player comes from a college where he didn’t have 10 seconds to throw to 5 star wide receivers. When you are a quarterback at Mississippi State or somewhere similar you are used to throwing into tight windows and not having all day to process where you need to go with the football. I don’t know why these franchises keep wasting their time on quarterbacks who play 3 years on PlayStation JV mode.

Commercecomet24
12-29-2020, 11:32 PM
Just about every single quarterback in the nfl that ends up being a really good player comes from a college where he didn?t have 10 seconds to throw to 5 star wide receivers. When you are a quarterback at Mississippi State or somewhere similar you are used to throwing into tight windows and not having all day to process where you need to go with the football. I don?t know why these franchises keep wasting their time on quarterbacks who play 3 years on PlayStation JV mode.

It sure does seem that way. I heard Steve Young say it the other night, "There's alabama open and then there's nfl open, not even close to the same thing". He's right.

Dogbone
12-30-2020, 12:00 AM
Haskins cleared waivers so he's a free agent. Let the bidding begin, or not.

Todd4State
12-30-2020, 12:24 AM
It sure does seem that way. I heard Steve Young say it the other night, "There's alabama open and then there's nfl open, not even close to the same thing". He's right.

Very true. I wonder if playing at Alabama actually hurts their development somewhat because they don't have to deal with pressure from a defense as much.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-30-2020, 07:46 AM
Just about every single quarterback in the nfl that ends up being a really good player comes from a college where he didn’t have 10 seconds to throw to 5 star wide receivers. When you are a quarterback at Mississippi State or somewhere similar you are used to throwing into tight windows and not having all day to process where you need to go with the football. I don’t know why these franchises keep wasting their time on quarterbacks who play 3 years on PlayStation JV mode.

I agree. Playing at an average school either prepares you for the future better because you have seen collapsing pockets and wide receivers who can’t get separation, or maybe it exposes your flaws better so you are drafted correctly. Guys like Haskins and Tua play almost every game of their entire career in a situation where their O-Line is superior to the opponents D-Line, and their wideouts are superior to the opponents defensive backs.

Let’s take Tua. He may very well turn into a great QB. But there is no doubt that if he had gone to NC State, Purdue, Kentucky, Kansas State, Mississippi State, etc. he would have played many games where his team did NOT have superior talent to the opponent. The result would have been an improved ability to handle that situation, which would serve him well today. Or maybe it would expose flaws and he would have been drafted in the second or third round.

msstate7
12-30-2020, 08:00 AM
I suppose with this board's theory that all blue blood qbs are overrated, you guys would pass on Lawrence at #1?

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2020, 08:07 AM
I suppose with this board's theory that all blue blood qbs are overrated, you guys would pass on Lawrence at #1?

No. But I?m not at all sold on Fields. To me, Fields and Lawrence aren?t close. After Lawrence, I?d trade back and try to get Corral or Trask in the early 2nd RD. Corral is just as talented and Trask is the best mentally

somebodyshotmypaw
12-30-2020, 08:13 AM

I would take Lawrence #1. But would Tua have been drafted #5 out of Arizona or Wake Forest? If Burrow had played at Arkansas, would he have been the number 1 pick? I’m not sure.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2020, 08:18 AM
I would take Lawrence #1. But would Tua have been drafted #5 out of Arizona or Wake Forest? If Burrow had played at Arkansas, would he have been the number 1 pick? I’m not sure.

Blue blood QBs are tremendously flawed but so are everyone else’s. It’s an incredibly hard position to evaluate and not really any college excels at producing them.

Instead of looking at the helmet, look at the tools. Arm strength, athleticism, accuracy, strength, feet, and feel when throwing the football along with some good college production.

That method gets Mahomes, Wilson, Rogers, and Herbert at the top of your draft board.

msstate7
12-30-2020, 08:21 AM
Here's a breakdown of where the starting qbs in nfl came from. Keep in mind, I accounted for injuries. For example, I counted dallas as dak, and thus, miss state.

8/32 starters in nfl are from blue bloods: Michigan, Oklahoma x3, Bama, LSU, usc. and Clemson.

26/32 starters are from P5. On this, I didn't count bridgewater and Alex smith as P5 bc they weren't when drafted.

I think 25% of nfl starters being from blue bloods is a pretty impressive stat. Keep in mind, blue bloods only account for less than 10% of college football programs. There's 32 spots for a starting qb, and there are a ton of new prospects every year.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2020, 08:23 AM
Here's a breakdown of where the starting qbs in nfl came from. Keep in mind, I accounted for injuries. For example, I counted dallas as dak, and thus, miss state.

8/32 starters in nfl are from blue bloods: Michigan, Oklahoma x3, Bama, LSU, usc. and Clemson.

26/32 starters are from P5. On this, I didn't count bridgewater and Alex smith as P5 bc they weren't when drafted.

I realize Oklahoma is really talented but I put their guys into a slightly different category than Bama, Clem, and Ohio State.

However, I’d guard against judging these guys by their college. Tua’s problem is not that he played for Bama, it’s that he’s frail, has below average arm strength, and is an excuse maker. Look no further than how often he limped at Bama after a bad throw.

msstate7
12-30-2020, 08:26 AM
I realize Oklahoma is really talented but I put their guys into a slightly different category than Bama, Clem, and Ohio State.

Are the windows Oklahoma qbs throw into in the big12 smaller than Bama, Clemson, and Ohio st? Do OK qbs see more pressure?

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2020, 08:30 AM
Are the windows Oklahoma qbs throw into in the big12 smaller than Bama, Clemson, and Ohio st? Do OK qbs see more pressure?

I think OU’s scheme and bad defense makes the QB shoulder more of the burden. I’m not saying it’s like playing QB at MSU, but it feels like outcome of the game is more on the weight of an Oklahoma QB than it is other blue bloods. Maybe I’m wrong

msstate7
12-30-2020, 08:34 AM
I think OU’s scheme and bad defense makes the QB shoulder more of the burden. I’m not saying it’s like playing QB at MSU, but it feels like outcome of the game is more on the weight of an Oklahoma QB than it is other blue bloods. Maybe I’m wrong

Maybe so.

Uncle Ruckus
12-30-2020, 08:43 AM
nm

MetEdDawg
12-30-2020, 05:13 PM
Jamarcus Russell never got another shot.

The stories on some of the stuff he did is pretty embarrassing. Like being given a blank film tape because the staff didn't think he was watching tape and they exposed him for not watching film to prep for games.

That dude is is most certainly Top 2 draft busts of all time. Some think Leaf was worse but those two are always battling for that top spot of biggest bust.

Maroonthirteen
12-30-2020, 06:30 PM

Well no, because Tua can't carry a mid tier to a NC. Arkansas was an absolute train wreck and as good as Burrow is... he couldn't have carried that team to a NC.

To add to your point, Dak would have been a first round pick if he had played at LSU and his college career played out the same.

thf24
12-30-2020, 07:26 PM
To add to your point, Dak would have been a first round pick if he had played at LSU and his college career played out the same.

He sure wouldn't have been taken in on a false DUI charge in Baton Rouge, for one thing.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-31-2020, 01:32 AM
Another bust