PDA

View Full Version : Napier turns down Auburn

bluelightstar
12-21-2020, 01:05 PM
at this point, you wonder if the guy is afraid of the SEC unless he can coach at LSU

Johnson85
12-21-2020, 01:13 PM
at this point, you wonder if the guy is afraid of the SEC unless he can coach at LSU

I can understand turning down Auburn. For all Gus's faults as a coach, sane fans would look at his record at Auburn and say it was closer to justify getting a building named after you than getting you fired.

It's ballsy, but if he is hearing things about Orgeron and thinks that job will come up in a year or two, that's still to me the sweetest gig in the SEC, even better than Bama. And he'd be walking into the job already having connections all over Louisiana. He could consistently have a top ten team without leaving the state of Louisiana, and have a national championship team just recruiting regionally.

TUSK
12-21-2020, 01:14 PM

Additionally, Sark (Bammer OC) bailed on an interview and Steele (AU DC) is no longer being considered (per AU undercover)... Bill Clark (UAB HC) and Neal Brown (WV HC) are expected to interview...

Bert Stare
12-21-2020, 01:20 PM
Napier will end up in Oxford when the dust settles this off-season. Auburn wanted to keep the defensive staff intact, and it was a deal breaker for Napier. Lane Train is quietly loading at the station, and headed to the plains.

confucius say
12-21-2020, 01:21 PM
Napier will end up in Oxford when the dust settles this off-season. Auburn wanted to keep the defensive staff intact, and it was a deal breaker for Napier. Lane Train is quietly loading at the station, and headed to the plains.

Should be a fun thread.

Dogbone
12-21-2020, 01:21 PM

Auburn

DEDawg
12-21-2020, 01:22 PM

Oh lord he's back

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2020, 01:23 PM

If he turned down Auburn, SC, & MSU, I doubt he'd take OM.

If anything, he waits one more year to see what happens at LSU & then moves on with Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, USC, etc opening up

Todd4State
12-21-2020, 01:25 PM

You don't think Ole Miss is going to want to keep their recruiters intact? Some of them flipped out when Nix was almost gone.

Bert Stare
12-21-2020, 01:26 PM
If he turned down Auburn, SC, & MSU, I doubt he'd take OM.

If anything, he waits one more year to see what happens at LSU & then moves on with Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, USC, etc opening up

He values full control above all other items, even historic prestige. Ole Miss will give him what he wants, including a ridiculous budget for staff salaries. Auburn has a leadership vacuum, and Napier found it hard to know who is in charge.

to recap: lane to auburn, napier to ole miss.

BeardoMSU
12-21-2020, 01:29 PM
Should be a fun thread.

This thread should end up being a sufficient alternative to the vaccine, lol.

MetEdDawg
12-21-2020, 01:31 PM
Auburn has multiple problems right now:

1) They just fired a coach with a very high win percentage in the middle of a pandemic. And they did it about 4 weeks into the season and everyone knew it.

2) They have one of the most meddling and power hungry influential alumni bases in the country. They probably aren't worse than Texas, but they are right behind them. Too many rich cooks in the kitchen and the attempted coup by Steele and some of those rich alumni highlighted that even more.

3) They are competing every single year with a Saban-led Bama team that's put together one of the best decades in the history of college football, Georgia who continually will compete for the SEC East, LSU, and Texas A&M. And if you don't routinely beat them you get fired like Malzahn did.

Auburn is a high expectations job that routinely competes against similar or higher expectations jobs. You are in state with Saban, and the coach that just got fired beat him 3 out of 8 times, which no one else has managed to do. And you are constantly battling Bama, Florida, Georgia, and LSU for recruits and are the least resource out of those 5 programs. Auburn isn't a great job right now. Saban has devalued its potential for success. That's not an idea situation right now.

BrunswickDawg
12-21-2020, 01:34 PM

Bert Stare... The Return
https://media1.tenor.com/images/8d06e785ff67f57d548b9fc3bae9aa67/tenor.gif?itemid=4822649

confucius say
12-21-2020, 01:35 PM
Lane wants to beat Saban more than anything else and his Twitter antics would piss off Bama and Saban. I could see auburn fans wanting that.

Leroy Jenkins
12-21-2020, 01:35 PM
Kirby didn't take the AU job because he wanted full control of the program and they told him no. They do have some who like to meddle over there.

Extendedcab
12-21-2020, 01:38 PM
He values full control above all other items, even historic prestige. Ole Miss will give him what he wants, including a ridiculous budget for staff salaries. Auburn has a leadership vacuum, and Napier found it hard to know who is in charge.

Bert,

Any time frames? Offseason is a long time!

Todd4State
12-21-2020, 01:40 PM

That would be a first for Ole Miss knowing how they operate.

ZedFedder
12-21-2020, 01:40 PM
BERT IS BACK

Bdawg
12-21-2020, 01:50 PM
Bert Stare... The Return
https://media1.tenor.com/images/8d06e785ff67f57d548b9fc3bae9aa67/tenor.gif?itemid=4822649

Let's see if credibility is restored??? Ha ha

RiverCityDawg
12-21-2020, 01:53 PM

If Napier turned down Auburn only to take the ole miss job he's even dumber than he looks... And I don't think that's possible.

BeardoMSU
12-21-2020, 01:56 PM
BERT IS BACK

Someone in the Elite Dawg ownership needed Bert's ad-clicks for some extra Christmas money.**

TUSK
12-21-2020, 01:57 PM
Auburn has multiple problems right now:

1) They just fired a coach with a very high win percentage in the middle of a pandemic. And they did it about 4 weeks into the season and everyone knew it.

2) They have one of the most meddling and power hungry influential alumni bases in the country. They probably aren't worse than Texas, but they are right behind them. Too many rich cooks in the kitchen and the attempted coup by Steele and some of those rich alumni highlighted that even more.

3) They are competing every single year with a Saban-led Bama team that's put together one of the best decades in the history of college football, Georgia who continually will compete for the SEC East, LSU, and Texas A&M. And if you don't routinely beat them you get fired like Malzahn did.

Auburn is a high expectations job that routinely competes against similar or higher expectations jobs. You are in state with Saban, and the coach that just got fired beat him 3 out of 8 times, which no one else has managed to do. And you are constantly battling Bama, Florida, Georgia, and LSU for recruits and are the least resource out of those 5 programs. Auburn isn't a great job right now. Saban has devalued its potential for success. That's not an idea situation right now.

This, People, is how one "messageboards".....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MetEdDawg again.

TUSK
12-21-2020, 01:59 PM
Lane wants to beat Saban more than anything else and his Twitter antics would piss off Bama and Saban. I could see auburn fans wanting that.

Confucius, did you just put "Saban" and "Twitter"... in the same sentence???:D

Dawgology
12-21-2020, 02:08 PM

So...Napier turns down Auburn to go to Ole Miss? You just outed yourself. Lol!!!

KOdawg1
12-21-2020, 02:10 PM
It's evident that Napier

1) Is scared to coach in the SEC

or

2) Is waiting for a blue blood job like LSU, which he won't get without another stop first.

Just a weird situation all the way around.

FISHDAWG
12-21-2020, 02:20 PM

https://twitter.com/RaginCajuns/status/1341081775309668352

StarkVegasSteve
12-21-2020, 02:26 PM

Dude, serious question.....how can Napier afford all these houses? You seem to have the scoop. I mean he now has houses in Starkville, Oxford, Auburn, and Lafayette. I mean real estate on the Square ain't cheap.

PGHBulldogBG
12-21-2020, 02:30 PM
Nothing wrong with being selective, but I don?t think he will make a jump from UL Lafayette all the way to a top blue blood. He seems to be happy enough there for now so it?s possible he is just waiting for the right spot. He won?t be at Ole
Miss if he turned down Auburn, that wouldn?t make sense

confucius say
12-21-2020, 02:31 PM
Confucius, did you just put "Saban" and "Twitter"... in the same sentence???:D

At least I didn't include Instagram

Dawgface
12-21-2020, 03:54 PM
I would love to know who Bert really is. C34 perhaps? Yancy? An owner of this site?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-21-2020, 04:00 PM

Damn somebody that wants him to stay at ULL must have some major shit on him for him to turn down better jobs and want to stay live in the ass hole of America.

Dawgfan77
12-21-2020, 04:22 PM
Let me say this. Yes I'm still hearing Kiffin to AU it's not dead yet. But I can tell you with 100% confidence if that happens Napier will not be in Oxford. You can book that one.

BeardoMSU
12-21-2020, 04:35 PM
I would love to know who Bert really is. C34 perhaps? Yancy? An owner of this site?

His threads have certainly generated lots of clicks, lol, so some people are certainly happy about his presence, even if he does just troll the ever living **** out of everyone.

Johnson85
12-21-2020, 04:44 PM
Nothing wrong with being selective, but I don?t think he will make a jump from UL Lafayette all the way to a top blue blood. He seems to be happy enough there for now so it?s possible he is just waiting for the right spot. He won?t be at Ole
Miss if he turned down Auburn, that wouldn?t make sense

I don't know why he can't jump from ULL to a blue blood. Is being successful at ULL really less impressive than being successful at Houston? Obviously not a guarantee that it will happen, but if he shows sustained success with no drop off for four or five years, I think he will be a credible candidate. His challenge will be that Orgeron might get fired before people view his track record as long enough, and LSU would be the blue blood that makes the most sense for him.

DLGDawg
12-21-2020, 04:55 PM
BERT IS BACK

BERT IS O'fer!!!

PGHBulldogBG
12-21-2020, 04:57 PM
I have a feeling Auburn wants Freeze as their first choice but that same feeling tells me Sankey will not allow it. I wonder if Auburn would to the Coach O/Pittman route. Outside of Freeze I?m not sure who they hire. I just hope it?s not Kiffin I want him to stay at Ole Miss so that they don?t actually hire someone that would be a legit threat

BeardoMSU
12-21-2020, 05:02 PM
BERT IS O'fer!!!

This is Bert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV84ha3uEGg&ab_channel=alexanderpage4

DLGDawg
12-21-2020, 05:08 PM
This is Bert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV84ha3uEGg&ab_channel=alexanderpage4

Hahahahaha. Nailed it!!!!!!!

Jack Lambert
12-21-2020, 05:12 PM
All these SEC jobs he is turning down, I call bullshit. He is spinning every time he gets turned down.

Randolph Dupree
12-21-2020, 05:37 PM
Kiffin will end up in Auburn. Not saying Napier won't end up in Oxford BUT he's been linked to MSU, USCe and now Auburn. You don't "turn down" all three of those to take Ole Miss. and you sure as hell don't do that if you "value total control".

My guess is Matt Luke comes back and they slim it as he learned soooo much from Kirby.

Homedawg
12-21-2020, 05:40 PM
I have a feeling Auburn wants Freeze as their first choice but that same feeling tells me Sankey will not allow it. I wonder if Auburn would to the Coach O/Pittman route. Outside of Freeze I?m not sure who they hire. I just hope it?s not Kiffin I want him to stay at Ole Miss so that they don?t actually hire someone that would be a legit threat

Not true on the SAnkeyblocking part. He didn't stop SC or auburn from hiring him. THe sec did show them what the info the league had on Freeze and what said, decide for yourself. But he absolutely was not blocked.

DownwardDawg
12-21-2020, 05:53 PM
Let me say this. Yes I'm still hearing Kiffin to AU it's not dead yet. But I can tell you with 100% confidence if that happens Napier will not be in Oxford. You can book that one.

Only way Napier ends up in Oxford is if he's been turned down on every interview he's had so far( which is likely), and ole Miss misses their top 5 candidates. Napier stock is low.

Dawgfan77
12-21-2020, 06:34 PM
Again Napier will not be the HC at UM. I will say that the longer the search goes the more your gonna hear Kiffin to AU.

RocketDawg
12-21-2020, 08:28 PM
I can understand turning down Auburn. For all Gus's faults as a coach, sane fans would look at his record at Auburn and say it was closer to justify getting a building named after you than getting you fired.

It's ballsy, but if he is hearing things about Orgeron and thinks that job will come up in a year or two, that's still to me the sweetest gig in the SEC, even better than Bama. And he'd be walking into the job already having connections all over Louisiana. He could consistently have a top ten team without leaving the state of Louisiana, and have a national championship team just recruiting regionally.

He could always go to Auburn or somewhere else, then go to LSU when and if the job comes open. He'd be a lot richer.

KOdawg1
12-21-2020, 09:00 PM
Again Napier will not be the HC at UM. I will say that the longer the search goes the more your gonna hear Kiffin to AU.

It's a cluster17 at the moment. They've got too many people over there who think they're in charge. Supposedly they're not even entertaining Kiffin or Freeze, but Bill Clark has reportedly told them no, so they're going to be scrambling soon.

PGHBulldogBG
12-21-2020, 10:34 PM
Only way Napier ends up in Oxford is if he's been turned down on every interview he's had so far( which is likely), and ole Miss misses their top 5 candidates. Napier stock is low.

Napier is still winning with Huds players. The next year or two will determine how he is as a coach. The team that was supposed to be near the bottom of the Sun Belt beat him. The coach of that team is the star and thankfully Auburn and South Carolina aren?t smart enough to see it

Jarius
12-21-2020, 10:54 PM
It's a cluster17 at the moment. They've got too many people over there who think they're in charge. Supposedly they're not even entertaining Kiffin or Freeze, but Bill Clark has reportedly told them no, so they're going to be scrambling soon.

Usually the guys who run team sites try to sugar coat things and even they are throwing the Auburn hiring process to the wolves. It is apparently the biggest cluster of all time with no one in charge.

Coach34
12-21-2020, 11:00 PM
Napier didn?t turn down SC- he wasn?t considered.

Todd4State
12-21-2020, 11:00 PM
Usually the guys who run team sites try to sugar coat things and even they are throwing the Auburn hiring process to the wolves. It is apparently the biggest cluster of all time with no one in charge.

You hate to see it.*******

PGHBulldogBG
12-21-2020, 11:14 PM
Napier didn?t turn down SC- he wasn?t considered.
Ray Tanner is Cohen 2.0. Both ADs had great coaches within a few hours and they didn?t hire (Neal Brown and Jamey Chadwell). Baseball coaches aren?t the best at judging football coaches if their life depended on it. Luckily Auburn doesn?t either

BeardoMSU
12-21-2020, 11:26 PM
Bill Clark no longer a candidate.....

C'mon ye gods...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ee237b10346ed1c7e4d56440a09ccb34/tenor.gif?itemid=18326949

Percho
12-21-2020, 11:33 PM
TT2 and on to the Senate!

confucius say
12-22-2020, 02:22 PM
Maybe they are just waiting on freeze to clear covid before they announce him, lol

BeardoMSU
12-22-2020, 02:42 PM
Maybe they are just waiting on freeze to clear covid before they announce him, lol

He does his best coaching from a hospital bed anyway, not sure why they'd wait.**

vindastra
12-22-2020, 09:58 PM
So Bert got it wrong again?

BeardoMSU
12-22-2020, 10:01 PM

No shit, lol. He'll keep it I'm sure, though.

RougeDawg
12-22-2020, 11:48 PM
All these SEC jobs he is turning down, I call bullshit. He is spinning every time he gets turned down.

Napier?s arrogance level is extremely high. Apparently he?s approaching these conversations as if he?s Nick Saban, making outrageous demands. These SEC programs are putting him back in his crawfish pot to stew.

BeardoMSU
12-23-2020, 12:14 AM
Napier?s arrogance level is extremely high. Apparently he?s approaching these conversations as if he?s Nick Saban, making outrageous demands. These SEC programs are putting him back in his crawfish pot to stew.

I honestly doubt he was ever offered. It was likely an "offer of an interview", just so Auburn could say they tried, when all they really wanted was to hire a pushover.

Commercecomet24
12-23-2020, 12:22 AM

But of course. Berts just a big Ol troll.

BeardoMSU
12-23-2020, 12:31 AM

Hey! Some people's children got extra special Christmas presents due to the clicks he provided! Show some respect, CC!**

Commercecomet24
12-23-2020, 12:34 AM
Hey! Some people's children got extra special Christmas presents due to the clicks he provided! Show some respect, CC!**

Oops my bad, far be it for me to keep children from getting extra Christmas gifts***

RougeDawg
12-23-2020, 01:19 PM
I honestly doubt he was ever offered. It was likely an "offer of an interview", just so Auburn could say they tried, when all they really wanted was to hire a pushover.

Wasn?t saying he was offered. He was contacted, or his agent was, as he has been for other openings. His demands are absurd. Not sure there is any program in America that would allow what he?s asking, before proving himself. Very odd. Possibly a few too many shots to the cranium. He?s an odd cat.

RougeDawg
12-23-2020, 01:22 PM
Oops my bad, far be it for me to keep children from getting extra Christmas gifts***

I will say that some of what Bert said last year about Billy Boy was true. The articles were already written in anticipation. The calls were made and some of the ULL assistants were lobbying hard for the move. In the end, we would not meet all of the absurd demands and hand over the keys to Davis Wade and the Bryan Building to a guy who?s at a program that gets offended when you call them ULL.

Todd4State
12-23-2020, 02:19 PM

When he said that Napier was going to Ole Miss because their boosters were going to let him run their program like he wants I knew he was wrong.

Of course I could see Ole Miss lying to Napier too. They're the same program as Auburn essentially from a booster standpoint.

Todd4State
12-23-2020, 02:20 PM
Wasn?t saying he was offered. He was contacted, or his agent was, as he has been for other openings. His demands are absurd. Not sure there is any program in America that would allow what he?s asking, before proving himself. Very odd. Possibly a few too many shots to the cranium. He?s an odd cat.

Napier reminds me a lot of Dan. Doesn't win big games when it counts and is extremely arrogant. No wonder so many of our fans loved him.**

Todd4State
12-23-2020, 02:22 PM
I will say that some of what Bert said last year about Billy Boy was true. The articles were already written in anticipation. The calls were made and some of the ULL assistants were lobbying hard for the move. In the end, we would not meet all of the absurd demands and hand over the keys to Davis Wade and the Bryan Building to a guy who?s at a program that gets offended when you call them ULL.

Yeah. Things can be spun because most people don't realize that schools go through agents to contact these coaches most of the time.

So I could say "MSU didn't directly talk to Napier or offer him the job" and be correct but that doesn't mean that we wouldn't have offered if we could have reached a middle ground.

RougeDawg
12-23-2020, 05:31 PM
Yeah. Things can be spun because most people don't realize that schools go through agents to contact these coaches most of the time.

So I could say "MSU didn't directly talk to Napier or offer him the job" and be correct but that doesn't mean that we wouldn't have offered if we could have reached a middle ground.

This is it. The parties could not agree during discussions. We may have dodged a bullet. Only time will tell.

Jarius
12-23-2020, 07:21 PM
This is it. The parties could not agree during discussions. We may have dodged a bullet. Only time will tell.

I don’t know what Napier is waiting on, but he has messed up 3 job opportunities that are ten times better than where he’s currently coaching and he didn’t have the year this year that he should have had with the talent on his roster. He is going to miss his chance if he isn’t careful.

Dawgfan77
12-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Just to re Cap. Napier still at ULL...

Did I do that right Bert??