PDA

View Full Version : So JoVester leaves the SEC

Coach34
12-19-2020, 10:40 AM
and suddenly he is back to being a solid playcaller. Granted he had a HC checking him this season- but when he leaves the SEC he goes back to being solid nonetheless. Interesting.

Todd4State
12-19-2020, 10:43 AM
Doesn't speak well of our players IMO to have coaches successful other places and not here.

Tbonewannabe
12-19-2020, 10:46 AM
So is it more to do with slower defensive players or just having a head coach to keep him in check or both?

ZedFedder
12-19-2020, 10:55 AM
He scored 17 against Cal.

DEDawg
12-19-2020, 11:13 AM
It?s just a different animal here. We HAVE to stop hiring coaches that need time to warm up to SEC. Look at Sam Pittman and how great he did in his first year... dude was an OL coach last year but he gets the SEC

Coach34
12-19-2020, 11:18 AM
So is it more to do with slower defensive players or just having a head coach to keep him in check or both?

It's likely a combination of both but not having to play SEC defenses every week makes life better for a playcaller- no doubt.

Coach34
12-19-2020, 11:21 AM
He scored 17 against Cal.

They were 2nd in the conference at 33.7 per game and 3rd in total offense.

Tbonewannabe
12-19-2020, 11:28 AM
It's likely a combination of both but not having to play SEC defenses every week makes life better for a playcaller- no doubt.

So do you think that SloMo offense needed to be adapted for the SEC similar to what Brady did with LSU offense?

Do you think Leach could adapt the Air Raid to work better,

Leeshouldveflanked
12-19-2020, 11:28 AM
The new AD needs to hire a HC with SEC experience in two years.

defiantdog
12-19-2020, 11:35 AM
Maybe..... Oregon has better offensive players.

sscjr1
12-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Maybe because they play in the Pac 12, where they finished 4-2

DLGDawg
12-19-2020, 11:54 AM
and suddenly he is back to being a solid playcaller. Granted he had a HC checking him this season- but when he leaves the SEC he goes back to being solid nonetheless. Interesting.

If Leach was successful in the PAC12, but sucks now because of SEC defenses.....THEN, JoMo is successful now only because he's in the PAC12.

To be consistent ya know.

Bdawg
12-19-2020, 11:58 AM
Oregon has better offensive players and PAC 12 defenses are worse. Plus JoMo cant run a disciplined program. He doesn't have to worry about being a head coach now so he's in a different situation now.

CovertDawg
12-19-2020, 12:07 PM
Leach scored 36 per game in conference last year and did not get to miss playing Washington.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2020, 12:19 PM
We'll see next year when we're at least bringing gun to a gun fight. Too early to say Leach won't do well here.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-19-2020, 12:43 PM
Look, morehead had a talent advantage at PSU and Oregon, and subpar talent while here. Doesn't necessarily say much about the SEC except we can't recruit very well.

I've tuned into 2 Oregon games. Moorhead has completely stopped the "check with me" crap, they don't get delay of games on the first play, they don't blow assignments on the OL, they play with energy, and they execute fast. NONE of that was present while he was here, and NONE of that has anything to do with the talent of the defense.

Fact is he couldn't coach the O while here. We were sloppy and didn't know what to do. Again, that fact is independent of playing Pac-12 or SEC talent; We sucked in vacuum regardless of opponent. He can focus entirely on the O as OC and the results show.

Having players that are simply better than the defenders, having the ability to spend 100% of your effort teaching the O, and having a real HC create a good culture = his O works. I'm sure if he was Bama's OC they'd score a ton- it's not an "SEC is different so those pansy O's will never work here" problem

Quaoarsking
12-19-2020, 12:51 PM
Not sure of the point of this thread. Joe set the lax expectations on the players as a head coach, but at Penn State and Oregon he is just an assistant melding into another head coach's culture. There's no reason to think that the results will be the same when Joe's not in the same position.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-19-2020, 01:03 PM
Not sure of the point of this thread. Joe set the lax expectations on the players as a head coach, but at Penn State and Oregon he is just an assistant melding into another head coach's culture. There's no reason to think that the results will be the same when Joe's not in the same position.

The point of the thread is to say that the SEC is magically different and nothing C34 doesn't like will work here because of that.

JoMo as OC with Mcsorely, Barkley, Hamilton, Gesicky vs teams that recruit worse than PSU = success.

JoMo as HC with Fitz, Williams/Hill, and no other playmakers vs teams that recruit better than us = failure

JoMo as HC at the #6 best recruiting team in the Pac = success.

Obviously, he needs a talent advantage and tha ability to focus 100% of his efforts on the O. But C34 would have you believe the only different was SEC speed on D

Homedawg
12-19-2020, 01:13 PM

They had 243 yards. I'd hardly call that working!!!

msstate7
12-19-2020, 01:15 PM

Yikes. That's us level bad in total offense

Cowbell
12-19-2020, 01:16 PM
Doesn't speak well of our players IMO to have coaches successful other places and not here.
Or maybe this is a different league with a different set of challenges and you have to adjust.

trob115
12-19-2020, 01:29 PM
There also isn?t a ?check with me? BS every single play. Line up and go.

JOMO is/was decent offensive coach. Needs elite playmakers for his schemes to work. He is a people pleaser at heart, and that?s to his detriment as a head coach.

PGHBulldogBG
12-19-2020, 01:32 PM
Oregon actually underachieved this year. They lost to their rival and were projected a top 10 team. I wouldn?t really call that successful

parabrave
12-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Maybe because they play in the Pac 12, where they finished 4-2

And look how Leachs O did/ I was talking to this OM Players dad a few years ago. He told me that once when they played a Midwest Cornfed team that an opposing players dad told him that they had never seen such speed as they had with OMs Defense. That's the difference between the defenses in the country.

sack07
12-19-2020, 01:56 PM
Just curious, because I?m seeing a common theme in this thread, what offense is consistently better with inferior talent?

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Just curious, because I?m seeing a common theme in this thread, what offense is consistently better with inferior talent?

Northwestern's

Gotta play smart

Todd4State
12-19-2020, 02:15 PM
Or maybe this is a different league with a different set of challenges and you have to adjust.

So there are no SEC teams running Air Raid concepts in the SEC right now? And yet everyone else makes it work but it's "the SEC".

HoopsDawg
12-19-2020, 03:16 PM

And their Oline was controlling the LOS. I thought there system was shit.

maroonmania
12-19-2020, 03:32 PM
I don't know that anyone ever said JoMo's offense can't work when he has a good passing QB with competent WRs. I mean it worked in the Big 10 which is a pretty good league. Unfortunately, Mullen didn't leave him with those components at MSU and he was too stubborn to adjust to a run based offense. However, all that said, JoMo is always going to be more successful when he is not the one setting the culture of the program. Players will never have respect for a HC that provides no discipline and work ethic. They may like him but they will never respect him.

dawgday166
12-19-2020, 04:00 PM
Maybe Mario Cristobal (Saban protege) as HC = Discipline/fitness/toughness.

JoMo doesn't have to worry about those aspects ... just has to call plays and focus on offense. Might make a difference.

thf24
12-19-2020, 07:18 PM
Maybe Mario Cristobal (Saban protege) as HC = Discipline/fitness/toughness.

JoMo doesn't have to worry about those aspects ... just has to call plays and focus on offense. Might make a difference.

Shhhhh mustn't let context get in the way of smart guy agendas.