PDA

View Full Version : Jackson State

BigEasyDawg
12-17-2020, 08:48 AM
They have a really decent class, but not a single player in the top 42 in the state of Mississippi signed with them yesterday.

Do ya'll think this will improve and Deion will poach any MS kids going forward or because of his name, they will always recruit on a national level instead of a local?

Jack Lambert
12-17-2020, 09:27 AM
No.

Leroy Jenkins
12-17-2020, 09:33 AM
They have a really decent class, but not a single player in the top 42 in the state of Mississippi signed with them yesterday.

Do ya'll think this will improve and Deion will poach any MS kids going forward or because of his name, they will always recruit on a national level instead of a local?

He can't poach because we don't fish in the same pond.

bulldawg28
12-17-2020, 09:46 AM
Deion flipped a 4 star corner from Georgia yesterday. If I'm not mistaken they signed more 4 stars than we did yesterday. If he wins there he'll continue to get high quality transfers and sprinkle in a few high rated guys here and there.

defiantdog
12-17-2020, 10:45 AM
Deion flipped a 4 star corner from Georgia yesterday. If I'm not mistaken they signed more 4 stars than we did yesterday. If he wins there he'll continue to get high quality transfers and sprinkle in a few high rated guys here and there.

Georgia dropped him..... Deion got a good qb out of Texas though. And they signed 2 four stars.

Westdawg
12-17-2020, 10:58 AM
Don't be surprised if and WHEN he gets some guys to sign with JSU. I have a sneaky suspicion that Khamauri Rogers' decommitment from LSU could possibly be just that happening. Give a commitment to JSU, help boost bringing some other in state guys, and then can quietly leave the class right before signing day.....or stay, and absolutely rule the HBCUs for 3-4 years and go to the NFL.

defiantdog
12-17-2020, 11:09 AM
Don't be surprised if and WHEN he gets some guys to sign with JSU. I have a sneaky suspicion that Khamauri Rogers' decommitment from LSU could possibly be just that happening. Give a commitment to JSU, help boost bringing some other in state guys, and then can quietly leave the class right before signing day.....or stay, and absolutely rule the HBCUs for 3-4 years and go to the NFL.

That's a stretch. I get that Deion is a high, profile name. But going to Jackson State really demotes your ability to be noticed by scouts. There's really no exposure for these kids when they go there. It could easily be the difference of being a 1st round pick and a third round pick.

Cooterpoot
12-17-2020, 11:44 AM
He got a lot of transfers. He should do that.

MSUDAWGFAN
12-17-2020, 01:59 PM
That's a stretch. I get that Deion is a high, profile name. But going to Jackson State really demotes your ability to be noticed by scouts. There's really no exposure for these kids when they go there. It could easily be the difference of being a 1st round pick and a third round pick.

If you are good enough, the pros will find you. The only thing is it's kind of hard to determine exactly how good you are if you aren't going up against the best competition.

Matt3467
12-17-2020, 02:06 PM
Georgia dropped him..... Deion got a good qb out of Texas though. And they signed 2 four stars.

That's his son so I wouldn't look for that type of player to be typical in a JSU recruiting class.

Todd4State
12-17-2020, 02:07 PM
If you are good enough, the pros will find you. The only thing is it's kind of hard to determine exactly how good you are if you aren't going up against the best competition.

Yeah but you want the pros to find you as soon as possible.

thf24
12-17-2020, 02:07 PM
IF, big if, he starts getting a significant numbers of players P5 schools want, he won't be coaching for very long.

Westdawg
12-17-2020, 02:35 PM
Don't let JSU sneak up on you.

I know, I know, it beats rationale for a P5 prospect to even consider that place, but HBCUs have a HUUUGGGEEEE presence in the coaching ranks, and JSU in particular has alums all up and down the central part of the country.
The idea of going to play for a living NFL legend, represent an HBCU, create those bonds deep within the African American community.....and know if Deion wins there the media will BLOW UP all around it. Those points in and of itself are huge factors to not overlook. It probably won't happen.....but it has all the components there to make it a very compelling thought for a kid

Offshore Dawg
12-17-2020, 03:38 PM
Walter Payton went to JSU

Hot Rock
12-17-2020, 03:58 PM
At one point a lot, if not most of the best players went to HBCU schools. Then integration happened and things changed.

I am not talking about under the table money. I am talking facilities, training, coaching staffs, living conditions, stipends, meals, Bowl rewards, after football connections and tons of other stuff I don't even know about.

Jackson State may get some 4 star players once in awhile but if any of the big boys really wanted them, it is highly unlikely they end up there no matter how charismatic the coach. Every year there are four star players that end up at a JuCo or a small school, this year is no different but they get there for a reason and often it's not because of on the field abilities.

Things can change... but follow the money

Westdawg
12-17-2020, 10:10 PM
At one point a lot, if not most of the best players went to HBCU schools. Then integration happened and things changed.

I am not talking about under the table money. I am talking facilities, training, coaching staffs, living conditions, stipends, meals, Bowl rewards, after football connections and tons of other stuff I don't even know about.

Jackson State may get some 4 star players once in awhile but if any of the big boys really wanted them, it is highly unlikely they end up there no matter how charismatic the coach. Every year there are four star players that end up at a JuCo or a small school, this year is no different but they get there for a reason and often it's not because of on the field abilities.

Things can change... but follow the money

Well, Deion just flipped a 4 ⭐️ OT from the University of Florida today.
We can talk all day, but "Neon Deion" is showing up and showing out atm

TUSK
12-17-2020, 11:00 PM
I used the word "huge", and that was a bit drunken of me... I won't bump, but this thread is germane: https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?82283-Selmon-to-JSU&highlight=tusk+sanders+huge+recruiting

defiantdog
12-17-2020, 11:04 PM
Walter Payton went to JSU
Back before the SEC was the SEC. Jerry Rice also went to MVS. But..... You have to be the best of the best to get noticed in those leagues. Even Theilman went to Minnesota State and never got drafted. Dude is a top receiver in the league now.

bulldawg28
12-18-2020, 01:42 AM

Yep, had he gone to any larger school such as Southern MS the entire college scene would have been different in MS.

Todd4State
12-18-2020, 02:44 AM

So Deion outrecruited Hevesy? LOL.

Todd4State
12-18-2020, 02:45 AM

Yeah looks like he can recruit at least guys that were dropped and his son and some SEC retreads. We'll see if he can coach now. That's my biggest question mark about him.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-18-2020, 05:03 AM
It is starting to look like Leach is the 4th best recruiter in Mississippi.

LC Dawg
12-18-2020, 10:37 AM
I'm rooting for Prime and JSU. Them being good will be good for the state and Jackson. If they somehow take recruits from our staff then more power to them but our staff would need to be fired.

StarkVegasSteve
12-18-2020, 10:42 AM
If they win then Deion will move up to a P5 job. I highly doubt his end goal is JSU. I still feel like he's gunning for that FSU job. Talking to a few people during that coaching search, Deion really believed he was going to get that job. He had a plan and apparently some of the boosters were very impressed. I know Yurachek was impressed with him when he interviewed for the Arky job.

Cooterpoot
12-18-2020, 10:57 AM
Everybody is anxious to see what he can do. Shouldn't be hard for JSU to win in the SWAC.
G5 will be his next step. FAU or somewhere would be his proving ground.

NCMSTFAN
12-18-2020, 04:50 PM

Some of the best football players of All time came from HBCU programs to include Jerry Rice, Herchel Walker and Shannon Sharpe to name a few. If you are good enough, the NFL will find you and with Deion Sanders as your Coach, the NFL will definitely be paying attention to that program.