PDA

View Full Version : McBath and Hughes

Cooterpoot
12-17-2020, 07:53 AM
We lost a 4 star DB to OM, we cut loose Toles without a viable replacement, we just offered a kid from Amory that Will Hall hasn't even offered. We couldn't get a lifelong State fan to commit, we lost a commitment from 4 star Calloway. Did I miss anything? We're down to Perkins and waiting on Johnson. We've got a need for two or three more DBs and three ships left IF we convince Johnson to sign.
Been almost a total failure in recruiting there.

msstate7
12-17-2020, 07:57 AM
I'll cut us some slack on Calloway. Hard to blame a kid that wants to win games.

Cooterpoot
12-17-2020, 08:00 AM
I'll cut us some slack on Calloway. Hard to blame a kid that wants to win games.

He was committed and has a good friend at State. It's our job to sign him. That's a failure.

chef dixon
12-17-2020, 08:19 AM
There's enough of a track record to see that when these MS kids go to Bama, and LSU for the most part, there is a good chance their football career is likely over. As much as I hate them to go to Ole Miss, it makes a lot more sense for them at least.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2020, 08:21 AM
He was committed and has a good friend at State. It's our job to sign him. That's a failure.

Agree. Seems like Hughes is just drawing a paycheck these days while trying to get to retirement. Rough year for him

KOdawg1
12-17-2020, 08:50 AM
Nothing you said has been wrong. Our DB recruiting went from potentially pretty good to completely terrible. The one we signed yesterday is a developmental player. We should've held onto Toles. I thought Tony Hughes was Mr. Mississippi as far as recruiting goes?

ZedFedder
12-17-2020, 09:15 AM
Don't forget Jadarrius Perkins. Also, it is quite a take to say Tony is drawing a paycheck. Sometimes you just lose out.

Cooterpoot
12-17-2020, 09:21 AM
Don't forget Jadarrius Perkins. Also, it is quite a take to say Tony is drawing a paycheck. Sometimes you just lose out.

I think we get/got Perkins. But I've been wrong a lot lately. Doesn't diminished the fact we missed on several players at a huge area of need. We did well at QB/WR, pretty decent at OL, solid at LB even though we lost Strong, DL is a wait and see but looks ok. DB has been bad.

KOdawg1
12-17-2020, 09:21 AM

You're right, sometimes you do lose out. But when you drop a kid, you better make sure you have viable back up plans in place in case things go south with others. We didn't, and now we're having to reach on kids that aren't SEC players

Irondawg
12-17-2020, 09:46 AM
If I recall correctly when Calloway committed someone said his dad was really big on Bama.

So I think beyond it being just “Bama” there might have been some family pressure there. Daniels was this years volatile but talented player that was all over the place. It always seem to be 50/50 on those types but was hoping Hughes would trump TB.

The problem with those kids is that if they don’t mature quick they flame out once they have to stand on their own 2 feet. Brassell, Bowie, Jones had issues. Gay made it but he still had to fight through some mess and MSU didn’t get to reap the full benefits of his talent.

You have to fight for kids with Daniels talent though. Time will tell us how it turned out.

Irondawg
12-17-2020, 09:47 AM
You're right, sometimes you do lose out. But when you drop a kid, you better make sure you have viable back up plans in place in case things go south with others. We didn't, and now we're having to reach on kids that aren't SEC players

Thing is that we don’t have to reach yet. Tons of players will enter the portal in the next week and there are other opportunities that may rise up with coaching changes across the nation

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Thing is that we don?t have to reach yet. Tons of players will enter the portal in the next week and there are other opportunities that may rise up with coaching changes across the nation

1 year transfers are ok to fill in small short term gaps, but they are not replacements for missing HS talent. Were down on scholarships and need to sign guys that will be here for 4-5 years and able to contribute for 2-3

Also, maybe im overthinking this, but a guy that played for a different staff for 4 years is far more likely to but heads with Leach and hos culture than a HS kid that has no other college coach experience. "Back at X, we just ran bleachers if we failed a drug test. Leach is crazy for cutting that guy after his first failed one!" Or "position coaches where i come from would never insult us like this guy does, we should put up with this" in the locker room isnt a good thing

Irondawg
12-17-2020, 10:22 AM
I’m not talking about grad transfers. I’m talking about freshmen or sophomores that either (a) have had a coaching change and are open to other places (b) went off and just want to get back closer to home or (c) were overlooked guys that went g5 and have done well but want to prove themselves in P5

Pretty sure we can find 1-2 of those if we need to.

I agree that with our numbers we don’t need to take a guy like Alexander

Cowbell
12-17-2020, 05:57 PM
I don't know what some of you expected. We have won what is it, 2 ball games? Why would you expect us to keep kids who are actually watching us play? Some kids want to win.