View Full Version : Sec offensive ranks

msstate7
12-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Total offense - 13th
Scoring offense - 13th
Passing offense - 4th
Rushing offense - 14th

QBR - Rogers is 13th
Passer rating not yet updated, but Rogers was 10th of 13 qualifiers last week. Likely to be passed by JG of tenn after yesterday.

bluelightstar
12-13-2020, 10:17 AM
And passing offense is definitely a volume stat for us. This offense is bad in all aspects. The excuses when we can’t score on that putrid Mizzou defense are going to be amazing.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Dave Clawson's offensive ranks his first year in ACC

Total offense- 14th
Scoring offense- 14th
Passing offense- 12th
Rushing offense 14th

msstate7
12-13-2020, 01:56 PM
Dave Clawson's offensive ranks his first year in ACC

Total offense- 14th
Scoring offense- 14th
Passing offense- 12th
Rushing offense 14th

Fair... here were state's offensive stats last year (conf only) and WF's in 2012 (year before clawson):

State in 2019:
Total off - 9th
Scoring off - 8th
Passing off -12th
Rushing off - 3rd

WF in 2012:
Total - 11th (only 12 teams)
Scoring - 12th
Rushing - 11th
Pass - 10th

I will point out that clawson played 3 straight ranked teams to finish his first year. They were destroyed by the champs (FSU), but lost 1-score games with #23 Duke and vs #24 vandy. They were improving.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Fair... here were state's offensive stats last year (conf only) and WF's in 2012 (year before clawson):

State in 2019:
Total off - 9th
Scoring off - 8th
Passing off -12th
Rushing off - 3rd

WF in 2012:
Scoring - 12th
Rushing - 11th
Pass - 10th

I will point out that clawson played 3 straight ranked teams to finish his first year. They were destroyed by the champs (FSU), but lost 1-score games with #23 Duke and vs #24 vandy. They were improving.

Oh- so now context matters.**

Turfdawg67
12-13-2020, 02:31 PM
Oh- so now context matters.**

Geez... why didn't you just let this troll thread die? He's started 2-3 today... and is trolling steadily on Sixpack.

PGHBulldogBG
12-13-2020, 10:15 PM
Clawson does more with less every single year. He is a great overall coach not a system coach. I don?t really consider system coaches to be that good because once teams figure it out then they can?t adjust. I would take Clawson in a heart beat. WF is one of the top 5 hardest FBS to recruit. I am not sure how Clawson would recruit here, but I have a feeling he would be like Mullen without the constant job searching

msstate7
12-13-2020, 10:18 PM
Rogers fell to 12th of 13 qualifying sec qbs in passer rating.

defiantdog
12-13-2020, 10:23 PM

State in 2019:
Total off - 9th
Scoring off - 8th
Passing off -12th
Rushing off - 3rd

WF in 2012:
Scoring - 12th
Rushing - 11th
Pass - 10th

Your stats prove why are passing is so bad this year. Last year..... We ran the ball more than not and now we don't run at all.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2020, 10:27 PM
Are we really arguing about whether or not we suck on offense this year?

Let me break it to you simple: we suck on offense

The question is whether or not we'll get much better next year.

CaptainObvious
12-13-2020, 10:37 PM
For the sake of being politically incorrect, this looks like a tallest midget contest taking shape.

messageboardsuperhero
12-13-2020, 10:39 PM
Are we really arguing about whether or not we suck on offense this year?

Let me break it to you simple: we suck on offense

The question is whether or not we'll get much better next year.

LOL, it is mind blowing that people do not understand that someone can acknowledge we suck offensively right now but also think Leach will succeed long term here. The two are not mutually exclusive.

And yes, we absolutely suck offensively right now.

msstate7
12-13-2020, 10:41 PM
FEI offense has us 99th (14th in sec). This is 11 spots behind their #13 sec team, vandy. Advanced doesn't like us any more than traditional

messageboardsuperhero
12-13-2020, 10:55 PM
Since we are doing this, we should see the whole picture and not just this year. Here are rankings for WSU.

2012- year 1

Scoring offense 11th
Total offense 9th
Passing offense 1st
Rushing offense 12th

2013- year 2

Scoring offense 8th
Total offense 8th
Passing offense 2nd
Rushing offense 12th

2018- year 7

Scoring offense 1st
Total offense 2nd
Passing offense 1st
Rushing offense 12th

2019- year 8

Scoring offense 1st
Total offense 1st
Passing offense 1st
Rushing offense 12th (but actually 5th in terms of YPC)

So basically year one was bad, year two was better or at least close to average, years 7/8 were elite. They also had consistently good offenses from 2014-2017. We need to be better next year and incrementally improving even more by year 3.

messageboardsuperhero
12-13-2020, 10:58 PM
FEI offense has us 99th (14th in sec). This is 11 spots behind their #13 sec team, vandy. Advanced doesn't like us any more than traditional

Do you see one damn person in the entire fan base saying we are anything other than awful offensively right now? That is no what the discussion is about.

I have no idea why you insist on straw-manning this debate. We know it sucks now. The discussion is whether or not it will still be this way in the future.

msstate7
12-13-2020, 11:03 PM
Since we are doing this, we should see the whole picture and not just this year. Here are rankings for WSU.

2012- year 1

Scoring offense 11th
Total offense 9th
Passing offense 1st
Rushing offense 12th

2013- year 2

Scoring offense 8th
Total offense 8th
Passing offense 2nd
Rushing offense 12th

2018- year 7

Scoring offense 1st
Total offense 2nd
Passing offense 1st
Rushing offense 12th

2019- year 8

Scoring offense 1st
Total offense 1st
Passing offense 1st

So basically year one was bad, year two was better or at least close to average, years 7/8 were elite. They also had consistently good offenses from 2014-2017. We need to be better next year and incrementally improving even more by year 3.

The improvement he had in total offense was certainly impressive. From 2013-2019, he finished 1st in all but 1 year (2013), and he finished 2nd. I do find it interesting though that despite this, he only finished in the top half of the conference in scoring offense 3 times.

msstate7
12-13-2020, 11:04 PM
Do you see one damn person in the entire fan base saying we are anything other than awful offensively right now? That is no what the discussion is about.

I have no idea why you insist on straw-manning this debate. We know it sucks now. The discussion is whether or not it will still be this way in the future.

I constantly look at stats. Why do facts offend you?

msstate7
12-13-2020, 11:22 PM
Looking at FEI offense, leach had 3 top 40 offenses in 2016, 2018, and 2019. Now in those years, we was top 12.

messageboardsuperhero
12-13-2020, 11:43 PM
I constantly look at stats. Why do facts offend you?

Facts do not offend me. Absurd straw man arguments infuriate me.

We suck offensively. No one says we are good right now. That is not debatable. We all agree on the fact that we are a terrible offensive football team.

Todd4State
12-14-2020, 01:25 AM

2012- year 1

Scoring offense 11th
Total offense 9th
Passing offense 1st
Rushing offense 12th

2013- year 2

Scoring offense 8th
Total offense 8th
Passing offense 2nd
Rushing offense 12th

2018- year 7

Scoring offense 1st
Total offense 2nd
Passing offense 1st
Rushing offense 12th

2019- year 8

Scoring offense 1st
Total offense 1st
Passing offense 1st

That was part of my point in posting Dave Clawson's stats. Just because you are bad in year one it does not mean that you will always be bad. The other point was msstate7's hero was absolutely equally as awful in year one before getting better.

It's like our fans saw Croom and thought that's always the norm- bad in year one and bad throughout- when actually it isn't the norm. Most teams improve.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-14-2020, 01:42 AM
Being dead last in a rushing attack isn?t gonna get anything accomplished. Never thought I would see the day when state couldn?t run.

msstate7
12-14-2020, 07:17 AM
Facts do not offend me. Absurd straw man arguments infuriate me.

We suck offensively. No one says we are good right now. That is not debatable. We all agree on the fact that we are a terrible offensive football team.

I am curious what my straw man argument is. All I did was post our stats. Those stats offended you, and they should... they should offend us all. You're right though that this doesn't mean they won't improve. I do think they'll improve, but I don't think we will be a very good offensive team in this league running this offense.

R2Dawg
12-14-2020, 03:24 PM
I am curious what my straw man argument is. All I did was post our stats. Those stats offended you, and they should... they should offend us all. You're right though that this doesn't mean they won't improve. I do think they'll improve, but I don't think we will be a very good offensive team in this league running this offense.

So many are still looking for some reason to have hope. Yes I wish Leach would turn it around. I can't see one bit of evidence right now that he can or will do it. I hope he does because if not he buries MSU for many years. I want us to come out of this. I am for MSU not against Leach. I am against Leach and anyone though that is not making progress for MSU. This year is over, nothing new to see. I don't care what happens in next 2 games.

I'll give him a mulligan and hope next year is better, kinda like most did with Moorhead but writing was on wall with Moorhead too.

Too many got all excited after 2 decent quarters against UGA but we stalled in second half. I told everyone nothing has changed except UGA coaching showed how bad they are. We've only seen one pattern so far and it ain't good. A pattern or trend is more than one half, one game, etc.

FISHDAWG
12-14-2020, 03:51 PM
So many are still looking for some reason to have hope. Yes I wish Leach would turn it around. I can't see one bit of evidence right now that he can or will do it. I hope he does because if not he buries MSU for many years. I want us to come out of this. I am for MSU not against Leach. I am against Leach and anyone though that is not making progress for MSU. This year is over, nothing new to see. I don't care what happens in next 2 games.

I'll give him a mulligan and hope next year is better, kinda like most did with Moorhead but writing was on wall with Moorhead too.

Too many got all excited after 2 decent quarters against UGA but we stalled in second half. I told everyone nothing has changed except UGA coaching showed how bad they are. We've only seen one pattern so far and it ain't good. A pattern or trend is more than one half, one game, etc.

I think we have a glimpse of that turn up ahead ... it may be a long slow curve but I see a pretty good HS QB heading this way and I see some pretty decent receivers committed. I think if K Hill was still involved then it would show in more running yardage or maybe if we didn't lose our better defensive players before the season but that is what it is ... I too have been critical as some others have but I'm gonna drink this damn kool-aid and wait. At any rate - Recruiting seems decent and for now that's all we have to hang on to.

msstate7
12-14-2020, 03:56 PM
I think we have a glimpse of that turn up ahead ... it may be a long slow curve but I see a pretty good HS QB heading this way and I see some pretty decent receivers committed. I think if K Hill was still involved then it would show in more running yardage or maybe if we didn't lose our better defensive players before the season but that is what it is ... I too have been critical as some others have but I'm gonna drink this damn kool-aid and wait. At any rate - Recruiting seems decent and for now that's all we have to hang on to.

If we hang in that 25ish range in recruiting, I'll be happy. With leach's reputation in recruiting, I expected to drop more 35-40. Need to stay in top 30.