PDA

View Full Version : Quick Thoughts: Terrible

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2020, 11:17 PM
- Prayers for Spencer & his family first & foremost

- We've got the worst collection of skill position players in the SEC & possibly power 5. Not sure it's close. It's quite frankly embarrassing. That fact that 5 still plays meaningful snaps for us is quite frankly ridiculous & tells you where our talent level is.

- WRs running into each other & the OL blowing assignments in game 9? really? How can we be that bad after a week off? How?

- Will Rogers isn't bad but he brings no playmaking ability to the offense. He requires everything being good around him, which isn't bad, but it's not good enough for what MSU needs. He's got to get stronger & more arm strength or Sawyer Robertson is going to walk in here & beat him out pretty quickly next year. The talents just aren't similar.

- Defense didn't get it done down the stretch, but after having their backs against the wall & not a lot of depth due to opt outs and injuries, they just couldn't compete in the 4th quarter. Pretty disappointing

- Overall, just a terribly disappointing effort tonight. I was very optimistic that we had some momentum & were getting better, but tonight was clearly a step back & a reminder that we've got a long long way to go. At end of the day, these young guys just aren't making winning plays yet. They make plays but not when they matter.

- We had to chance to gain some momentum going into signing day, but now, in true MSU style, we'll have to hold on for dear life.

- Again, couldn't be more disappointed in what I saw tonight. Garbage execution, game plan, & effort by the WRs at times.

Hopefully it gets better. No excuses tonight. Just inexplicably sucked

Hopefully Ole Miss doesn't flip all our croots. We played like we should've had COVID this week

I guess we can sell early playing time on offense.

William Tecumsah Sherman
12-12-2020, 11:20 PM
All of our drives in all games look exactly the same. The same plays. The same results.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2020, 11:23 PM
All of our drives in all games look exactly the same. The same plays. The same results.

The same drops, the same slow twitch WRs that can't get open, & the same OL getting their ass beat.

bluelightstar
12-12-2020, 11:25 PM

Yep. Dump off to the back who gets annihilated for a loss of 2. Crossing route for 5. Then 3rd down is choose your own adventure — maybe it’s a sack; maybe we throw it to nobody in particular. It’s frustrating and it’s not entertaining. I was skeptical of the Air Raid to start with, and I’ve seen nothing to suggest it will work. It has looked like a good offense exactly twice this year — against maybe the two worst defenses in the country.

Homedawg
12-12-2020, 11:27 PM
Bucky gonna be mad at your assembler if will! Will was bad tonight he was. But we had several balls that have to be caught and as bad as that game was make two of them and it changes the game. Or it could have. Not excusing Will's play but that part is true. I'm not ready to give up on a guy that last year was playing at Brandon high. This is tough league. Is he the answer? I don't know. But he competes and I do like that. Auburn mixed up coverages and looks and he struggled w that from looking at it live I thought. .... we are bad, very bad on offense no part of it is working. I did like how we ran it w the backs but 7 carries on a 6+ avg doesn't say much other than improvement

Todd4State
12-12-2020, 11:27 PM
Can someone explain to me why we want Osiris and Eiland back?

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2020, 11:28 PM
Yep. Dump off to the back who gets annihilated for a loss of 2. Crossing route for 5. Then 3rd down is choose your own adventure — maybe it’s a sack; maybe we throw it to nobody in particular. It’s frustrating and it’s not entertaining. I was skeptical of the Air Raid to start with, and I’ve seen nothing to suggest it will work. It has looked like a good offense exactly twice this year — against maybe the two worst defenses in the country.

the one thing to hold on hope for is that our talent is really really bad outside Walley & Heath, but Heath was obviously hurt

Homedawg
12-12-2020, 11:28 PM
The same drops, the same slow twitch WRs that can't get open, & the same OL getting their ass beat.
And you can't miss a guy that's 4 yards behind the db on a ball that's not a 50 yard pass just can't.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2020, 11:29 PM

Well, since we aren't up against 83 scholarships, they can't hurt by coming back. Hopefully someone beats them out

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2020, 11:29 PM
And you can't miss a guy that's 4 yards behind the db on a ball that's not a 50 yard pass just can't.

Oh I agree.

Cooterpoot
12-12-2020, 11:30 PM
Did we break 3 yards per play tonight? It's a shitalicious offense.

Bdawg
12-12-2020, 11:30 PM
I think at this point, we are who we are. Offense sucks because of youth and lack of skill. Defense plays hard but tires after 3 quarters because of opt outs and Covid and the offense can't hold the ball very long. It's who we are this year. Next year should be better unless more freshmen have to play. But maybe these next freshmen are better and we combine them with some of the good freshman we have now and build from there. Offense next year better at least puts some points on the board to help the D.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2020, 11:31 PM
It's like our coaches spend all week recruiting rather than preparing for the game

Saltydog
12-12-2020, 11:32 PM
The offensive game plan is never going to change. CML is a smart guy but his stubbornness will ultimately be his demise.

Todd4State
12-12-2020, 11:33 PM
I think at this point, we are who we are. Offense sucks because of youth and lack of skill. Defense plays hard but tires after 3 quarters because of opt outs and Covid and the offense can't hold the ball very long. It's who we are this year. Next year should be better unless more freshmen have to play. But maybe these next freshmen are better and we combine them with some of the good freshman we have now and build from there. Offense next year better at least puts some points on the board to help the D.

Honestly I hope we play more freshmen. That's the only light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope we get adjustments quickly.

Bdawg
12-12-2020, 11:34 PM

Purely for depth and we got plenty of room it seems

Todd4State
It's like our coaches spend all week recruiting rather than preparing for the game

Not a terrible idea given what they have to work with.

ShotgunDawg
The offensive game plan is never going to change. CML is a smart guy but his stubbornness will ultimately be his demise.

Thing is, I think there were plays there to be made. I wouldn't say Auburn's offense was any better from a scheme standpoint. We just really really suck at WR outside of Walley. Tulu may be emerging. He's got to get strong though because he gets bumped off his routes constantly

Maybe pre-opt outs Mullen's offense would've been better than Leach's, but Mullen's offense would suck with our current personnel as well.

It's much less a scheme problem to me right now & much more a talent issue. The WRs we're running out there except Walley, Tulu (who isn't ready yet) & Heath who was hurt, are not SEC quality.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2020, 11:35 PM
Not a terrible idea given what they have to work with.

yeah. I'm not saying it was a bad idea. Just saying it may have played a part

It's at very least got to be distracting.

Todd4State
12-12-2020, 11:36 PM
Thing is, I think there were plays there to be made. I wouldn't say Auburn's offense was any better from a scheme standpoint. We just really really suck at WR outside of Walley. Tulu may be emerging. He's got to get strong though because he gets bumped off his routes constantly

We need Knox, Nabors, and Moore to be legit on day one. And that's not realistic.

KOdawg1
12-12-2020, 11:37 PM
I'm over it. If it eventually clicks, great. If it never does, we'll just trudge along for a few years until we make a change. Apathy has set in for me. Bring on baseball season because our basketball team sucks too.

msstate7
12-12-2020, 11:37 PM
yeah. I'm not saying it was a bad idea. Just saying it may have played a part

It's at very least got to be distracting.

Well let's hope we start seeing the results of that then. We currently have our lowest rated class since 2014.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2020, 11:38 PM
We need Knox, Nabors, and Moore to be legit on day one. And that's not realistic.

Hopefully one of them is ready, Walley continues, Tulu makes a jump, Heath is healthy, & Spivey catches 8 million tennis balls this Summer & learns to catch

Bdawg
12-12-2020, 11:39 PM
Honestly I hope we play more freshmen. That's the only light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope we get adjustments quickly.

I hope a lot can have a spring with us. I hope they are even better than their ranking and show out. Guess we will see next year.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2020, 11:42 PM
Well let's hope we start seeing the results of that then. We currently have our lowest rated class since 2014.

Meh. All of our classes fall within the same 200-220 point range. Some years that ranks us 28th and other years 20th, but it always falls in the same general range regardless of where we fall in the recruiting rankings.

Evaluation is way more important due to that than where we actually rank since the classes themselves are so close from year to year

MetEdDawg
12-12-2020, 11:43 PM
Here's the thing. The plays were there. Pass to Spivey down near the 10. He drops it. Deep pass to Tulu. Yard overthrown. Drop by Walley late in the game on the corner route to get us pass mid field. Missed FG. Walley open for a big 1st down in plus territory but Cole Smith gets beat and gives up the sack.

We look inept at times yes. But the opportunities are absolutely there. It's not like we can't ever get opportunities. It's that we don't execute them consistently when they present themselves.

That's why I at least have some hope. It's not like the offense doesn't have chances. It's that we don't execute on them across the board when they occur. That will come with time, which we don't have now and didn't have enough of preseason.

parabrave
12-12-2020, 11:48 PM

Maybe pre-opt outs Mullen's offense would've been better than Leach's, but Mullen's offense would suck with our current personnel as well.

It's much less a scheme problem to me right now & much more a talent issue. The WRs we're running out there except Walley, Tulu (who isn't ready yet) & Heath who was hurt, are not SEC quality.

No it wouldn't. This line was built for a Mullen Offense. We would have Schrader and KH still here. Hell JOMO could do better with these guys. We would at least have some offense.

bluelightstar
12-12-2020, 11:50 PM
Here's the thing. The plays were there. Pass to Spivey down near the 10. He drops it. Deep pass to Tulu. Yard overthrown. Drop by Walley late in the game on the corner route to get us pass mid field. Missed FG. Walley open for a big 1st down in plus territory but Cole Smith gets beat and gives up the sack.

We look inept at times yes. But the opportunities are absolutely there. It's not like we can't ever get opportunities. It's that we don't execute them consistently when they present themselves.

That's why I at least have some hope. It's not like the offense doesn't have chances. It's that we don't execute on them across the board when they occur. That will come with time, which we don't have now and didn't have enough of preseason.

This was also true of Moorhead’s offense. We often had guys running open or overthrows or bad drops.

Quaoarsking
12-12-2020, 11:50 PM
This offense can't succeed if the QB has a bad night. Rogers had a bad night.

I'll cut Rogers a lot of slack since he's a true freshman and Leach almost exclusively starts juniors and seniors, but if Rogers can't be relied upon not to have bad nights, he won't be the answer going forward.

Bdawg
12-12-2020, 11:53 PM
No it wouldn't. This line was built for a Mullen Offense. We would have Schrader and KH still here. Hell JOMO could do better with these guys. We would at least have some offense.

What? Check with me down to 1 second every time? Screw that shit show too.

Bdawg
12-12-2020, 11:56 PM
This offense can't succeed if the QB has a bad night. Rogers had a bad night.

I'll cut Rogers a lot of slack since he's a true freshman and Leach almost exclusively starts juniors and seniors, but if Rogers can't be relied upon not to have bad nights, he won't be the answer going forward.

Very true. If your QB sucks it up as much as we throw, you're in for a long night.

KOdawg1
12-12-2020, 11:56 PM

It was a shit show, but at worst we're 4-5 with Joe this year. I know leach supposedly gives you a better chance for success in the future, but that's just how bad our offense is right now. We're back in the Croom era

NCDawg
12-12-2020, 11:57 PM
Unless we can sign better offensive linemen we aren't ever going to be much better. Rogers doesn't have a lot of time to look for receivers because the opposition defense is in there on him, even with a 3 man rush. Also, we appear to be very slow on defense, especially at DE. RB's seem to pass us like we're standing still.

MetEdDawg
12-12-2020, 11:58 PM
This was also true of Moorhead’s offense. We often had guys running open or overthrows or bad drops.

True. But Joe had 2 years and 2 full off seasons and significantly more talent and experience than this team. Plus he got the benefit of 4 non conference games. Leach's experience thus far is unlike any other coach in our program has had to deal with.

KOdawg1
12-12-2020, 11:59 PM
Unless we can sign better offensive linemen we aren't ever going to be much better. Rogers doesn't have a lot of time to look for receivers because the opposition defense is in there on him, even with a 3 man rush. Also, we appear to be very slow on defense, especially at DE. RB's seem to pass us like we're standing still.

Well the OL we're signing this class aren't world beaters, so don't count on much help next year

Bdawg
12-13-2020, 12:01 AM
It was a shit show, but at worst we're 4-5 with Joe this year. I know leach supposedly gives you a better chance for success in the future, but that's just how bad our offense is right now. We're back in the Croom era

You don't know how many wins Slomo would bring us. His discipline issues were destroying us. Both offenses suck. But I have more faith in a proven coach to turn it around.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-13-2020, 12:01 AM

We need 2 WRs to step up out of Nabors, Knox, Moor, Tulu, or Spivey. Walley is great, Heath is fine (though I don't think he's at his ceiling), 2 more and this O is fine.

What we really need is the OL to get better, and RBs to get stronger.

BeardoMSU
12-13-2020, 12:03 AM
This is one of the best .gifs I've seen in a while...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1337968188982747136

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2020, 12:04 AM

Mullen's offense would suck with our current personnel. Our personnel sucks. That was my point

Bdawg
12-13-2020, 12:05 AM
This is one of the best .gifs I've seen in a while...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1337968188982747136

Dang that's funny.

KOdawg1
12-13-2020, 12:05 AM
You don't know how many wins Slomo would bring us. His discipline issues were destroying us. Both offenses suck. But I have more faith in a proven coach to turn it around.

I know with Garrett Shrader and Kylin Hill, we have more wins than we do right now. We could've ran every play and beaten ole miss. I'm not saying I want him back or that firing him was a bad decision. I'm just saying that's how bad we are this year.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2020, 12:06 AM
True. But Joe had 2 years and 2 full off seasons and significantly more talent and experience than this team. Plus he got the benefit of 4 non conference games. Leach's experience thus far is unlike any other coach in our program has had to deal with.

Joe got fired due to the culture, not the offense.

I like Leach's culture. We just need better players & experience.

Out combination of experience & talent sucks right now

parabrave
12-13-2020, 12:07 AM

Never said JOMO was great But to answer that we wouldn't have the Opt outs if Mullen or even Moorhead was coach. Nothing was wrong with Moorheads O except he was a crappy coach and didn't have a clue on how to coach it.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2020, 12:07 AM
I know with Garrett Shrader and Kylin Hill, we have more wins than we do right now. We could've ran every play and beaten ole miss. I'm not saying I want him back or that firing him was a bad decision. I'm just saying that's how bad we are this year.

We'll be fine with Leach. He'll get it figured out. But the talent to throw every down just simply isn't here yet

KOdawg1
12-13-2020, 12:08 AM
We'll be fine with Leach. He'll get it figured out. But the talent to throw every down just simply isn't here yet

I disagree that we'll be fine. But we'll see.

msstate7
12-13-2020, 12:08 AM

Ahead of schedule

parabrave
12-13-2020, 12:11 AM
Mullen's offense would suck with our current personnel. Our personnel sucks. That was my point

You don't Know. The O styles are a total 180. Maybe Will could run more or at least have the threat of getting the RBs the ball which would open the passing game.

Bdawg
12-13-2020, 12:12 AM
Never said JOMO was great But to answer that we wouldn't have the Opt outs if Mullen or even Moorhead was coach. Nothing was wrong with Moorheads O except he was a crappy coach and didn't have a clue on how to coach it.

I really don't know what to say to that.

msstate7
12-13-2020, 12:12 AM

Mullen had 1 year in sec only games where he avg less yards per game than our current mark, 336.1 yds per game. It was 2011 when Mullen avg 286 per game. This was a totally different type of year. The leader that year was Bama at 410 per game. 5 teams avg'd under 300 that year. 2011 had perhaps the 2 greatest college defenses in LSU and Bama

KOdawg1
12-13-2020, 12:13 AM
You don't Know. The O styles are a total 180. Maybe Will could run more or at least have the threat of getting the RBs the ball which would open the passing game.

Mike Leach ain't adapting. Which is ultimately why I don't think this is going to work.

messageboardsuperhero
12-13-2020, 12:24 AM
Ahead of schedule

Wow, that?s a hell of a straw man right there. You can think that Leach will get it turned around, while also being pissed about the performance tonight.

Nobody is saying we are ahead of schedule right now.

BeardoMSU
12-13-2020, 12:26 AM
Ahead of schedule

It's 1 o'clock somewhere**

https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-03-2017/LnSSfz.gif

messageboardsuperhero
12-13-2020, 12:27 AM
Mullen had 1 year in sec only games where he avg less yards per game than our current mark, 336.1 yds per game. It was 2011 when Mullen avg 286 per game. This was a totally different type of year. The leader that year was Bama at 410 per game. 5 teams avg'd under 300 that year. 2011 had perhaps the 2 greatest college defenses in LSU and Bama

Mullen is a great coach. Mullen also did not start a true freshman QB with no spring practice in his first season.

That 2011 season was Mullen?s year 3. If Leach puts up those numbers in year 3, he will get fired.

Saltydog
12-13-2020, 12:31 AM
That could be said for pretty much any offense but it's significantly magnified in our offense because it's so one dimensional.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2020, 12:32 AM
I disagree that we'll be fine. But we'll see.

I'm not going to be a roller coaster with this. We sucked tonight, but that doesn't change most all of the things that there are to be positive about.

bluelightstar
12-13-2020, 12:38 AM
Mullen is a great coach. Mullen also did not start a true freshman QB with no spring practice in his first season.

That 2011 season was Mullen?s year 3. If Leach puts up those numbers in year 3, he will get fired.

I really don’t remember but I believe that 2011 team had some injury issues. Also looks like it was a very tough schedule — played the two best teams in the east, plus Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas , which were top 5 teams.

BeardoMSU
12-13-2020, 12:40 AM
I really don’t remember but I believe that 2011 team had some injury issues. Also looks like it was a very tough schedule — played the two best teams in the east, plus Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas , which were top 5 teams.

Our OLine (some at least), QB, and skill positions were still barely SEC quality, tbh (as much as I fondly remember those guys, it's the truth...esp WR). Also our OL was complete gash that year. We had to rely on a converted DT to play LT that year, for God's sake.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 12:47 AM

I disagree. I think we're 1-9 with Joe. The bottom was about to fall out. Which is why he was fired as we all know.

messageboardsuperhero
12-13-2020, 12:56 AM
Our OLine (some at least), QB, and skill positions were still barely SEC quality, tbh (as much as I fondly remember those guys, it's the truth...esp WR). Also our OL was complete gash that year. We had to rely on a converted DT to play LT that year, for God's sake.

And whose fault was that? That team should have mostly been his guys- it was year 3 for Mullen. This is year 1 for Leach with a true freshman QB and zero spring practice.

If Leach has those same personnel issues in two years, NOBODY will give him a pass. So why give Mullen a pass for 2011?

Mullen was a great coach for us, but he had his flaws. The same fans who dog Leach for offense this year totally excuse 2011 for Mullen- even though it was his year 3 and Leach has 5x the track record now that Mullen had at the time. It makes no sense. At least be consistent.

Leach is at least recruiting offensive talent (at least on paper) way better than what Mullen ever brought in.

Commercecomet24
12-13-2020, 01:01 AM
I disagree. I think we're 1-9 with Joe. The bottom was about to fall out. Which is why he was fired as we all know.

I agree. The team quit on Joe last year and it's because the inmates were running the asylum. I got tired of watching our half ass effort every game last year.If Joe stayed it would've been worse and the same undisciplined trouble makers would still be here.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:02 AM
And whose fault was that? That team should have mostly been his guys- it was year 3 for Mullen. This is year 1 for Leach with a true freshman QB and zero spring practice.

If Leach has those same personnel issues in two years, NOBODY will give him a pass. So why give Mullen a pass for 2011?

Mullen was a great coach for us, but he had his flaws. The same fans who dog Leach for offense this year totally excuse 2011 for Mullen- even though it was his year 3 and Leach has 5x the track record now that Mullen had at the time. It makes no sense. At least be consistent.

Leach is at least recruiting offensive talent (at least on paper) way better than what Mullen ever brought in.

This is what has always confused me about the Dan Mullen lovers.

I remember in year one when we statistically struggled on offense these same people who are "no excuses Leach! Adapt to your personnel!" were saying "Give Dan time to get his players in" in 2009.

KOdawg1
12-13-2020, 01:03 AM

Nah, we wouldn't be 1-9. Things would be bad, no doubt, but we wouldn't be 1-9.

KOdawg1
12-13-2020, 01:04 AM
This is what has always confused me about the Dan Mullen lovers.

I remember in year one when we statistically struggled on offense these same people who are "no excuses Leach! Adapt to your personnel!" were saying "Give Dan time to get his players in" in 2009.

Dan showed us flashes of what could be. There have been no flashes for Leach since the LSU game.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:05 AM
I agree. The team quit on Joe last year and it's because the inmates were running the asylum. I got tired of watching our half ass effort every game last year.If Joe stayed it would've been worse and the same undisciplined trouble makers would still be here.

Absolutely. I sit behind the football team in the stands and I saw several instances of our players being disrespectful just during games and half paying attention. I'm sure it was worse in the big picture that I didn't see. I remember Willie Gay getting a personal foul and chewing out one of our assistant football coaches who was chewing him out for being undisciplined. Joe did NOTHING. He should have told Gay to straighten up or go sit out the rest of the game.

parabrave
12-13-2020, 01:07 AM

Leach started with a experienced Transfer QB, One of the best RBs in the nation and a decent OL. After the 1st game where Bo Pelini had a brainfart the rest of the SEC dusted off the Wahoo game plan and shut the O down. All he had to do was to tweek his 1998 KY offense and added some more designed running plays to the the opposing Ds honest and we would be in a better position. But nope.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:09 AM
Dan showed us flashes of what could be. There have been no flashes for Leach since the LSU game.

No flashes? Georgia? The Egg Bowl? What has been our worst loss by margin this year? Kentucky? Where we threw a pick six and basically gave them the ball on the goal line?

I guess you were way more impressed with that 15-3 win over Vanderbilt than I was. He also basically got shut down by Florida and Alabama that year as well and Arkansas beat our brains in. And then most years would be "concerned" after the goal line sequence against LSU that year. But not Dan- "It was better than Croom!"

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2020, 01:14 AM
Leach started with a experienced Transfer QB, One of the best RBs in the nation and a decent OL. After the 1st game where Bo Pelini had a brainfart the rest of the SEC dusted off the Wahoo game plan and shut the O down. All he had to do was to tweek his 1998 KY offense and added some more designed running plays to the the opposing Ds honest and we would be in a better position. But nope.

I think this is a massive oversimplification. But either way, it is what it is at this point. We don't know what went on and it's better to just move on from that & think about how this team will improve

ShotgunDawg
No flashes? Georgia? The Egg Bowl? What has been our worst loss by margin this year? Kentucky? Where we threw a pick six and basically gave them the ball on the goal line?

I guess you were way more impressed with that 15-3 win over Vanderbilt than I was. He also basically got shut down by Florida and Alabama that year as well and Arkansas beat our brains in. And then most years would be "concerned" after the goal line sequence against LSU that year. But not Dan- "It was better than Croom!"

yes there has been flashes.

KOdawg1

I'll give you Georgia, but once they figured us out in the second half, they shut us down. Ole Miss's defense is putrid. South Carolina put up over 40 points on it. That's not a flash. Margin of loss this year has more to do with our defense exceeding expectations. Not quite sure how that applies to flashes on offense.

BeardoMSU
12-13-2020, 01:18 AM

This and this^^

Todd, you know I'm not a Mullen cultist.

The main thing with Leach, which I've been consistent on, is his refusal to adapt to his personnel. Dan did it here, and has done it at Florida. All good coaches adapt. Mike's refusal to adapt to the current strengths of our roster is not a good look, nor is it helpful for the future. You can still adapt with what you have while at the same time plan for the future. This requirement to "bottom out" to attain his ideal is the most nonsensical bullshit I've ever seen. And the fact that he gets a pass on "well it's his system", "he needs his players", "he always does what he does", "he's stubborn", "his offense has worked everywhere", etc. etc., whatever the qualifier is, still comes back to the fact that he refused to play to our current strengths. That is exactly what we all lambasted Moorhead for, too. The insistence on forcing a square peg into a round hole to "justify" your scheme to the detriment of the program isn't brave; it's ****ing arrogant, not to mention stupid.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:24 AM
I'll give you Georgia, but once they figured us out in the second half, they shut us down. Ole Miss's defense is putrid. South Carolina put up over 40 points on it. That's not a flash. Margin of loss this year has more to do with our defense exceeding expectations. Not quite sure how that applies to flashes on offense.

Georgia "figured us out"? More like we ran out of gas on defense. Ole Miss's defense is putrid and we scored on it. What else do you want us to do on a putrid defense?

As far as the comment about the defense- it's not just about the offense with Leach. It's about the entire program. What were the two biggest concerns with Leach? Recruiting and defense. Both have been better.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:29 AM
This and this^^

The main thing with Leach, which I've been consistent on, is his refusal to adapt to his personnel. Dan did it here, and has done it at Florida. All good coaches adapt. Mike's refusal to adapt to the current strengths of our roster is not a good look, nor is it helpful for the future. You can still adapt with what you have while at the same time plan for the future. This requirement to "bottom out" to attain his ideal is the most nonsensical bullshit I've ever seen. And the fact that he gets a pass on "well it's his system", "he needs his players", "he always does what he does", "he's stubborn", "his offense has worked everywhere", etc. etc., whatever the qualifier is, still comes back to the fact that he refused to play to our current strengths. That is exactly what we all lambasted Moorhead for, too. The insistence on forcing a square peg into a round hole to "justify" your scheme to the detriment of the program isn't brave; it's ****ing arrogant, not to mention stupid.

Dan adapted to an extent. See Brandon Holloway.

You can not adapt around a bad offensive line. Period. Even Dan had trouble with that- see 2011.

I think Leach is doing the right thing by running his system with our players. We have to show the Teddy Knox's and Sawyer Robertson's that we are indeed running Leach's version of the Air Raid. If not people will say "Oh, well Leach has changed and look at what he is doing now." Also this is a heavy rep based system. Adding stuff that we don't intend to use later actually hurts us in the long run. It sucks now. But it won't suck when Osiris has moved on and our QB is a junior.

Irondawg
12-13-2020, 01:29 AM
It’s pretty simple really. We don’t have any “dudes” on offense right now and it’s damn near impossible to win in this league without being able to ride someone’s back.

A fully engaged Hill would have helped and a healthy KJ or even Schrader would have given us 2 guys that could make big plays.

Instead we are relying on two true freshmen to be playmakers in this league and the qb is being protected by freshman tackles.

That’s a recipe for disaster not matter the team.

As pointed out our wr room just isn’t to standard and hopefully leach can change this. Some of this group has been through 3 offensive coaches that are well thought of and couldn’t produce so I think it may be time to stop blaming the coaches beyond the fact that these were the guys they chose to sign.

Our freshman rb have a bit of promise and I don’t think either are bad players but I’m not sure they are special either. Tank is special as a comparison. I realize he was a high 4 star but he’s also the reason they won tonight and if they had given him the ball more earlier instead of letting Nix heave it around then I think the game would
Have been over in the 3rd quarter.

We just don’t have the horses right now, I don’t care who we have as coach

KOdawg1
12-13-2020, 01:30 AM
Georgia "figured us out"? More like we ran out of gas on defense. Ole Miss's defense is putrid and we scored on it. What else do you want us to do on a putrid defense?

As far as the comment about the defense- it's not just about the offense with Leach. It's about the entire program. What were the two biggest concerns with Leach? Recruiting and defense. Both have been better.

Georgia absolutely figured us out. We scored 17 points in the first half, 7 in the 3rd quarter, and zero in the 4th quarter.

I expect to put up more than 24 points on the worst defense in the SEC.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:31 AM
It’s pretty simple really. We don’t have any “dudes” on offense right now and it’s damn near impossible to win in this league without being able to ride someone’s back.

A fully engaged Hill would have helped and a healthy KJ or even Schrader would have given us 2 guys that could make big plays.

Instead we are relying on two true freshmen to be playmakers in this league and the qb is being protected by freshman tackles.

As pointed out our wr room just isn’t to standard and hopefully leach can change this. Some of this group has been through 3 offensive coaches that are well thought of and couldn’t produce so I think it may be time to stop blaming the coaches beyond the fact that these were the guys they chose to sign.

Our freshman rb have a bit of promise and I don’t think either are bad players but I’m not sure they are special either. Tank is special as a comparison. I realize he was a high 4 star but he’s also the reason they won tonight and if they had given him the ball more earlier instead of letting Nix heave it around then I think the game would

Exactly.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:33 AM
Georgia absolutely figured us out. We scored 17 points in the first half, 7 in the 3rd quarter, and zero in the 4th quarter.

I expect to put up more than 24 points on the worst defense in the SEC.

Do you think they didn't know what plays Leach was going to run? We were getting pushed around at the end of the game.

Maybe you need to adjust your expectations given the situation.

Unless you expect our teams to always be ravaged with COVID.

Cowbell
12-13-2020, 01:33 AM
I'm not going to be a roller coaster with this. We sucked tonight, but that doesn't change most all of the things that there are to be positive about.
Too late

KOdawg1
12-13-2020, 01:37 AM
Do you think they didn't know what plays Leach was going to run? We were getting pushed around at the end of the game.

Maybe you need to adjust your expectations given the situation.

Unless you expect our teams to always be ravaged with COVID.

My expectation for any MSU football team is to be competent on both sides of the ball. Not great, not elite. But competent. Our defense has exceeded my expectations. The offense has not. I don't think those are unrealistic expectations, even in a covid year. I'm not big on using Covid as an excuse anyway. Every team has been hit with Covid.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2020, 01:49 AM

Nailed it

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 02:18 AM
My expectation for any MSU football team is to be competent on both sides of the ball. Not great, not elite. But competent. Our defense has exceeded my expectations. The offense has not. I don't think those are unrealistic expectations, even in a covid year. I'm not big on using Covid as an excuse anyway. Every team has been hit with Covid.

Competent is realistic. But not with a bunch of freshmen. COVID is an excuse when our team chooses to play games with less than 50 scholarship players. That's FCS school level.

msstate7
12-13-2020, 06:06 AM

Mullen started Tyson lee in year 1. Kj Costello was a 5-star qb transfer.

It's sorta ridiculous to even compare 2011 to this season. In 2011, only 2 teams (12 total then) avg over 400 yds offense in conference only games, Bama and LSU at 410 and 402. Only 4 teams were over 350. This season, only 4 teams are under 350: tenn, vandy, us, and Kentucky. There are 7 over 400, and 3 teams are over 500.

msstate7
12-13-2020, 06:16 AM

Vs Georgia, our last 4 possessions total were....
18 plays 52 yards (15 yds PF by Georgia)
2 1st downs (1 by PF Georgia)

OM held us to their 2nd lowest point total of the year. Only vandy did worse at 21. OM gives up 38.8 per game.

bulldawg28
12-13-2020, 07:29 AM
Will ain't the answer and Auburn physically made us quit. They were the more physical team last night.

was21
12-13-2020, 08:30 AM
All that really amounts to one thing....laziness. He just would rather be in key west

bulldawg28
12-13-2020, 09:39 AM
All that really amounts to one thing....laziness. He just would rather be in key west

He's ensuring we're his last stop before retirement.

messageboardsuperhero
12-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Mullen started Tyson lee in year 1. Kj Costello was a 5-star qb transfer.

It's sorta ridiculous to even compare 2011 to this season. In 2011, only 2 teams (12 total then) avg over 400 yds offense in conference only games, Bama and LSU at 410 and 402. Only 4 teams were over 350. This season, only 4 teams are under 350: tenn, vandy, us, and Kentucky. There are 7 over 400, and 3 teams are over 500.

KJ Costello did not work out at all. You are not wrong on that.

But why is it ridiculous to say that we struggled offensively in years 2 and 3 of Mullen? It?s the truth. If we are bottom three in the SEC in terms of offensive production in 2021-2022 with Leach, the same people who revere Mullen will want Leach run out of town.

I love the job Dan Mullen did here. I?m saying all this to really say- it takes time for even great offensive coaches like Mullen to get things rolling. We are 9 games into a year one season where we had very limited prep and a very young roster. If we having these same issues next year and are are not significantly better in 2022, then Leach?s fate will be known.

As painful and frustrating as this season has been, we are more or less seeing the same results Leach has seen at other stops in year one.

CaptainObvious
12-13-2020, 10:17 AM
It?s pretty simple really. We don?t have any ?dudes? on offense right now and it?s damn near impossible to win in this league without being able to ride someone?s back.

That?s a recipe for disaster not matter the team.

As pointed out our wr room just isn?t to standard and hopefully leach can change this. Some of this group has been through 3 offensive coaches that are well thought of and couldn?t produce so I think it may be time to stop blaming the coaches beyond the fact that these were the guys they chose to sign.

Our freshman rb have a bit of promise and I don?t think either are bad players but I?m not sure they are special either. Tank is special as a comparison. I realize he was a high 4 star but he?s also the reason they won tonight and if they had given him the ball more earlier instead of letting Nix heave it around then I think the game would

We just don?t have the horses right now, I don?t care who we have as coach

How did this happen? How is it that all of a sudden, Ole Miss, coming off a huge probation, has the horses to run their offense, and we squandered the opportunity to make hay while they were on probation? How did that happen? Who is at fault?

msstate7
12-13-2020, 10:25 AM
How did this happen? How is it that all of a sudden, Ole Miss, coming off a huge probation, has the horses to run their offense, and we squandered the opportunity to make hay while they were on probation? How did that happen? Who is at fault?

I remember reading here that Moorhead was killing it on the recruiting trail.

Not being able to make things work with hill didn't help.

No one expected this offense to be near this bad preseason, and now it's all former coaches and the players fault.

CaptainObvious
12-13-2020, 10:37 AM
Will ain't the answer and Auburn physically made us quit. They were the more physical team last night.

I read that Costello was available last night. I guess Leach was afraid Costello might actually have some success if he put him in and it would make Leach look like a fool.

dawgday166
12-13-2020, 12:20 PM
Bucky gonna be mad at your assembler if will! Will was bad tonight he was. But we had several balls that have to be caught and as bad as that game was make two of them and it changes the game. Or it could have. Not excusing Will's play but that part is true. I'm not ready to give up on a guy that last year was playing at Brandon high. This is tough league. Is he the answer? I don't know. But he competes and I do like that. Auburn mixed up coverages and looks and he struggled w that from looking at it live I thought. .... we are bad, very bad on offense no part of it is working. I did like how we ran it w the backs but 7 carries on a 6+ avg doesn't say much other than improvement

Dropped several very catchable balls last night. Those killed drives and one cost us TD.

dawgday166
12-13-2020, 12:22 PM

I don't. I'm really tired of watching Eiland get his ass beat. Been going on for 3 years now.

trob115
12-13-2020, 01:02 PM
I hope 5 doesn?t see the field for another snap. Lazy and no effort.

NCDawg
12-13-2020, 01:06 PM
I don't. I'm really tired of watching Eiland get his ass beat. Been going on for 3 years now.

Not only Eiland. Our tackles got beat quite a few times, especially our LT.
Another thing, I wish we could get better blitzers when we call a blitz. We struggle but just can't get to the QB. That gives the QB more time to pick out a receiver. I think I've seen us sack the QB one time this year on a blitz. Forgot which game, but Thompson made the tackle.

Bdawg
12-13-2020, 01:26 PM
This and this^^

Since all the opt outs and once all the freshmen took over, I think it was time to run his system no matter what. It should put us in a better position next year.

WSOPdawg
12-13-2020, 01:31 PM

This gave me a chuckle... Big Game Dan with the playoffs on the line last night really did what he's good at against LSU.

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:32 PM
I hope 5 doesn?t see the field for another snap. Lazy and no effort.

I don't understand why he plays. How many drops, wrong routes, or poor effort plays do coaches need to see?

Todd4State
12-13-2020, 01:33 PM
This gave me a chuckle... Big Game Dan with the playoffs on the line last night really did what he's good at against LSU.

It's going to be funny watching Saban run him out of the building.

parabrave
12-13-2020, 01:35 PM
It's going to be funny watching Saban run him out of the building.

Dan is already shitting in his pants.

RougeDawg
12-13-2020, 02:32 PM

This is the way I see it as well. I see very few posts lately with the correct perspective. We did not have a spring and had limited preseason practices to implement a completely new offense. I thought the entire season would be a shit show going in. The LSU game falsely changed many perspectives.

Osirus has something going on with him. He looked hurt in warmups. Not sure if physical or mental. He was warming up and catching passes on the sideline almost the entire game. Walley really is the only guy who would get PT on just about every other SEC team. That?s pretty damn sad.

Offensive line looked clueless on assignments all night. They whiffed countless times on the DT?s. Sometimes not even touching them. Then the OL would look at each other after the play and point at the other guy. Was frustrating to watch but there are some glimmers of hope.

We have basically only had the equivalent of a spring practice season at this point, in a brand new offense, with fewer skill guys than some of the top high school teams in the nation. What we are seeing is pretty much what anyone should expect, all things considered.

If the offense looks the same next year, I will lose faith in Leach. Has not happened to him at any stop to date, so i am going to base my conclusions only on the data currently available.

Bdawg
12-13-2020, 02:45 PM

You have to look at Covid on a game by game basis. You may have a full roster one week, then 2 weeks later you may be taking 47 scholarship players. So Covid is an excuse if your ravaged with Covid and the opponent is not. But if your looking at overall record for the season, I would agree with you. We pretty much all in the same boat.

Dannyripms
12-13-2020, 03:55 PM
That dump off to the back is ridiculous. the linebackers are sitting there waiting, we do it so much that its basically a loss every time he throws it. If im Marks i just bat it down and not take the hit. Screw it. Leach is going to get Marks killed out there. Shit better change real quick cause if they're not any improvement next year he is gone.

Percho
12-13-2020, 04:22 PM
This Key West stuff is the dumbest crap posted, IMHO.

Matt3467
12-13-2020, 05:09 PM
Show Osirus Mitchell the door and I'll be happy going into next season. Can't remember another player I've been as disgusted at watching play. How many games does he have to cost us? How many plays does he have to take off? How many stupid decisions does he have to make before we sit his tail on the bench or tell him to hit the road? Btw I don't think I've ever seen a stiffer wide receiver in my life. Watching him try and shake a defender is about the most pitiful thing one can see. Giving him the ball in the backfield is worse than Holloway up the middle.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2020, 06:42 PM
Shit better change real quick cause if they're not any improvement next year he is gone.

Doubt we fire 2 coaches in a row after 2 years. It'll get better

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2020, 06:45 PM
What confuses me about our offense is that we do numerous play action fakes to running plays we don't have in our play book.

About 8-10 times last night we play actioned a running play that we haven't run all year. We play actioned jet sweeps about 5 times night & we haven't run a jet sweep all year. However, when I watch Wazzou from Leach's tenure they run Jet sweeps.

So I'm confused. I've watched a lot of old Leach games, & we aren't running half the play book.

Not sure why. It's odd though. You'd think with all these off weeks, we could've added a few plays

Dogbone
12-13-2020, 06:49 PM
What confuses me about our offense is that we do numerous play action fakes to running plays we don't have in our play book.

About 8-10 times last night we play actioned a running play that we haven't run all year. We play actioned jet sweeps about 5 times night & we haven't run a jet sweep all year. However, when I watch Wazzou from Leach's tenure they run Jet sweeps.

So I'm confused. I've watched a lot of old Leach games, & we aren't running half the play book.

Not sure why. It's odd though. You'd think with all these off weeks, we could've added a few plays

Could be we don't have the players yet.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2020, 07:00 PM
Could be we don't have the players yet.

Again, I'm not sure. I'm not an air raid expert to know exactly what type of players you need for each play.

I'd think Tulu would be good at jet sweeps, but maybe not. IDK

Todd4State
12-14-2020, 01:28 AM

I agree. And I suspect that it's because our guys haven't mastered the plays we are already running. And yes, I get a jet sweep is easy to execute.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-14-2020, 02:02 AM
It?s simple. If you can?t and won?t run the ball. The passing game will never open up. So get used to 5 yard dump offs for negative gains. So predictable

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-14-2020, 08:13 AM

One of the local radio hosts has had leach former QB's on and they talked about how leach teaches the passing game first and then the run off of it.

maroonmania
12-14-2020, 08:36 AM
I personally wish this college football season had been cancelled so we could have avoided our team's purging during the middle of an actual football season rather than the Spring and avoided all of our fans running down Leach and the offense all year. Its not helping anything and Leach is going to be here 3 years minimum no matter how much belly aching there is. All the negativity certainly hurts recruiting and I'm so sick of hearing the offense won't work in the SEC I could scream. Yes, I also wish we would run the ball more than we are currently, but right now I do believe Leach is trying to teach the passing portion of the offense to the players that will be with him for the coming years and the more reps we get running routes for the WRs and reading defenses by the QB the more it helps going forward.

I too believe the offense will likely never throw up big numbers against the very elite SEC defenses (sort of like it never did against UW in the PAC-12), but if you guys have watched the WSU offense execute over even the last few years like I have you should know that it WILL work against MOST defenses even in the SEC if Leach has the right personnel with experience in the system. And Mullen's offense never did squat against elite SEC defenses either. Right now we are struggling with EVERY defense because of lack of offensive talent and lack of reps in the system. I mean if you think that the majority of PAC-12 defenses aren't just as good or better than what OM and Vandy are throwing out this year then I really don't know what to tell you. The whole 'it won't work in the SEC' is just nonsense to me given this is one of the worst years of SEC defense I can remember. Our lack of production right now has way more to do with our own problems than anything an SEC defense is doing. Just hope we get our class signed without defections caused by our own fans running down Leach and his offense and the season ends. If it wasn't for getting the extra practices I would not even want the bowl game because that will just give our fans another opportunity to run our program down. If we haven't seen progress by this time next year I will gladly join the criticism bandwagon for both Leach and Cohen but right now we are our own worst enemy and basically cutting our nose off to spite our face. Unlike most OM fans, MSU fans seem to have no problems helping to tear down their own program in pursuit of internet credibility saying "I told you so". I mean come on people, we are basically playing with a JR varsity team right now, on both sides of the ball but especially on offense. Can we not give Leach a full NORMAL year with players that actually want to play in his program before making final judgements on what he can do here?

DeltaChicagoDog
12-14-2020, 08:39 AM
I agree. And I suspect that it's because our guys haven't mastered the plays we are already running. And yes, I get a jet sweep is easy to execute.

This is it. Can't remember where, but Leach said as much. Said they were only running about half the playbook as of two games ago and he was considering opening it up some, which may have happened, but doesn't seem to've involved the run game.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2020, 08:57 AM
One of the local radio hosts has had leach former QB's on and they talked about how leach teaches the passing game first and then the run off of it.

Then that explains why his offense always sucks in year 1

Cowbell
12-14-2020, 09:19 AM
It?s simple. If you can?t and won?t run the ball. The passing game will never open up. So get used to 5 yard dump offs for negative gains. So predictable

That get our running backs killed. If Kiffin wanted to be a Twitter hero, all he really has to do is put a compilation together of all of our running backs and receivers getting annihilated before they get full control of the football.

Dogbone
12-14-2020, 09:28 AM
I personally wish this college football season had been cancelled so we could have avoided our team's purging during the middle of an actual football season rather than the Spring and avoided all of our fans running down Leach and the offense all year. Its not helping anything and Leach is going to be here 3 years minimum no matter how much belly aching there is. All the negativity certainly hurts recruiting and I'm so sick of hearing the offense won't work in the SEC I could scream. Yes, I also wish we would run the ball more than we are currently, but right now I do believe Leach is trying to teach the passing portion of the offense to the players that will be with him for the coming years and the more reps we get running routes for the WRs and reading defenses by the QB the more it helps going forward.

I too believe the offense will likely never throw up big numbers against the very elite SEC defenses (sort of like it never did against UW in the PAC-12), but if you guys have watched the WSU offense execute over even the last few years like I have you should know that it WILL work against MOST defenses even in the SEC if Leach has the right personnel with experience in the system. And Mullen's offense never did squat against elite SEC defenses either. Right now we are struggling with EVERY defense because of lack of offensive talent and lack of reps in the system. I mean if you think that the majority of PAC-12 defenses aren't just as good or better than what OM and Vandy are throwing out this year then I really don't know what to tell you. The whole 'it won't work in the SEC' is just nonsense to me given this is one of the worst years of SEC defense I can remember. Our lack of production right now has way more to do with our own problems than anything an SEC defense is doing. Just hope we get our class signed without defections caused by our own fans running down Leach and his offense and the season ends. If it wasn't for getting the extra practices I would not even want the bowl game because that will just give our fans another opportunity to run our program down. If we haven't seen progress by this time next year I will gladly join the criticism bandwagon for both Leach and Cohen but right now we are our own worst enemy and basically cutting our nose off to spite our face. Unlike most OM fans, MSU fans seem to have no problems helping to tear down their own program in pursuit of internet credibility saying "I told you so". I mean come on people, we are basically playing with a JR varsity team right now, on both sides of the ball but especially on offense. Can we not give Leach a full NORMAL year with players that actually want to play in his program before making final judgements on what he can do here?

Good post!