PDA

View Full Version : Manifesto a la Curmudgeon

curmudgeon
11-09-2013, 01:05 PM
I haven't had this "I really don't care about this game" attitude since the Croom era. We are playing the 2:30 CBS game against a Top 15 opponent and my attitude is like many- first quarter we'll look like we can win, second quarter we'll fall behind but be within a score at halftime, then we'll get blown out in the second half.

We are sitting at 4-4. No team in America has four "better" losses. We've lost to four top 15 teams. Very possible after next week we will be 4-6 with six top 15 losses. That may have never been done before in the history of college football. I can't remember a tougher stretch of scheduling than we have seen since 2009. Next year, the schedule is the most manageable I have ever remembered, and it looks that way for a few years to come.

Which is why I, for one, am not ready to fire Mullen. We don't have the right to compare ourselves to the upper echelon of the SEC West. We haven't earned it. We can compare ourselves to our history, which when you do - we are in the middle of the most successful five years we have ever had. Have there been disappointments? Sure. Is it incredibly frustrating that Mullen can't seem to get that big win? Yes. But we have been to three bowl games for the second time in school history, and it isn't going to take the unbelievable to get that fourth straight bowl win.

Which brings me to a topic that really needs to be discussed. We have the worst athletic director in the SEC. If anyone needs to be fired, its Scott Stricklin. He's in over his head, and now that Bjork is at Ole Miss, there is none worse in the SEC. Here are five of the many things that he has done as athletic director that need to be addressed.

1. He whored us out in a rebuilding year to the Texas Kickoff Classic. If we would have played a manageable out of conference game instead of chasing a few extra dollars and national exposure (that became national embarrassment), we'd be at worse 5-3 and probably would have beaten Auburn to be 6-2. That judgment may very well have cost us a bowl game this year. We aren't an elite team, we're not ready to play in elite games.

2. His idea of marketing is selling ads. The gameday experience at Mississippi State has gone from borderline elite to horrible in his tenure. Games are unbearable and there is no Gameday experience at MSU. Even last year when we were undefeated in the top 15, it was boring. On top of it all, he ran off the Assistant AD of Marketing and hired a fundraiser whose idea of gameday experience is a free frisbee to the first 50 fans. We are back to the days of LT as far as marketing goes, and its all on Stricklin.

3. The student problem is on him. We've killed the gameday experience, made students into cash cows, and are back to catering to the big dogs instead of the entire fanbase. We are starting to get back to the days where we have Bama and LSU fans that are "just students" at MSU. Part of this is on the "everybody gets a trophy" generation of students that we have, but we aren't giving them a reason to bleed maroon.

4. We refuse to put money into assistant coaches, in any sport - which is the key to winning. I'd rather have a $65 million expansion than a $75 million expansion so that we can put $2 million a year into our assistant coaches' salaries. And its not just coaches, we let our PR guy, a MSU grad, be hired away by Clemson for a fraction of that.

5. Compliance. While everyone else is hiring big name lawyers to run their compliance operations and basically daring the NCAA to come in - we have a unsuccessful coach with a degree in PE running ours. He's over his head, just like Stricklin is. If you want to be loyal to Brackey, fine, let him stay on staff in some role, but we need an attorney that is not scared to dare the NCAA to play. Only then will we stop having suspensions for playing in charity basketball games and season and a half suspensions for a winter coat while other schools are blatantly paying thousands of dollars cash.

So before we lose a game today where we trail 21-17 at halftime and lose 42-24, think about who really needs to be fired. Because if you think the gap between Freeze and Mullen is huge - the gap between Bjork and Stricklin is bigger.

Will James
11-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Agreed on SS. But Mullen looks worse now against those tough teams than ever. It's not okay to get routinely blasted by teams better than you while showing NO improvement. It's just not.

curmudgeon
11-09-2013, 01:28 PM
We're not Florida with their history about to fire Muschamp.

Just don't think we should fire a coach for going 5-7, with six top 15 losses, in the toughest division in college football history a year after taking us to a third straight bowl game for the second time in school history.

What coach would want to come here with the precedent set that if you make school history, and win more than any coach has, you'll be fired if you can't beat top 10 teams every year.

Tbonewannabe
11-09-2013, 01:30 PM
I haven't had this "I really don't care about this game" attitude since the Croom era. We are playing the 2:30 CBS game against a Top 15 opponent and my attitude is like many- first quarter we'll look like we can win, second quarter we'll fall behind but be within a score at halftime, then we'll get blown out in the second half.

We are sitting at 4-4. No team in America has four "better" losses. We've lost to four top 15 teams. Very possible after next week we will be 4-6 with six top 15 losses. That may have never been done before in the history of college football. I can't remember a tougher stretch of scheduling than we have seen since 2009. Next year, the schedule is the most manageable I have ever remembered, and it looks that way for a few years to come.

Which is why I, for one, am not ready to fire Mullen. We don't have the right to compare ourselves to the upper echelon of the SEC West. We haven't earned it. We can compare ourselves to our history, which when you do - we are in the middle of the most successful five years we have ever had. Have there been disappointments? Sure. Is it incredibly frustrating that Mullen can't seem to get that big win? Yes. But we have been to three bowl games for the second time in school history, and it isn't going to take the unbelievable to get that fourth straight bowl win.

Which brings me to a topic that really needs to be discussed. We have the worst athletic director in the SEC. If anyone needs to be fired, its Scott Stricklin. He's in over his head, and now that Bjork is at Ole Miss, there is none worse in the SEC. Here are five of the many things that he has done as athletic director that need to be addressed.

1. He whored us out in a rebuilding year to the Texas Kickoff Classic. If we would have played a manageable out of conference game instead of chasing a few extra dollars and national exposure (that became national embarrassment), we'd be at worse 5-3 and probably would have beaten Auburn to be 6-2. That judgment may very well have cost us a bowl game this year. We aren't an elite team, we're not ready to play in elite games.

2. His idea of marketing is selling ads. The gameday experience at Mississippi State has gone from borderline elite to horrible in his tenure. Games are unbearable and there is no Gameday experience at MSU. Even last year when we were undefeated in the top 15, it was boring. On top of it all, he ran off the Assistant AD of Marketing and hired a fundraiser whose idea of gameday experience is a free frisbee to the first 50 fans. We are back to the days of LT as far as marketing goes, and its all on Stricklin.

3. The student problem is on him. We've killed the gameday experience, made students into cash cows, and are back to catering to the big dogs instead of the entire fanbase. We are starting to get back to the days where we have Bama and LSU fans that are "just students" at MSU. Part of this is on the "everybody gets a trophy" generation of students that we have, but we aren't giving them a reason to bleed maroon.

4. We refuse to put money into assistant coaches, in any sport - which is the key to winning. I'd rather have a $65 million expansion than a $75 million expansion so that we can put $2 million a year into our assistant coaches' salaries. And its not just coaches, we let our PR guy, a MSU grad, be hired away by Clemson for a fraction of that.

5. Compliance. While everyone else is hiring big name lawyers to run their compliance operations and basically daring the NCAA to come in - we have a unsuccessful coach with a degree in PE running ours. He's over his head, just like Stricklin is. If you want to be loyal to Brackey, fine, let him stay on staff in some role, but we need an attorney that is not scared to dare the NCAA to play. Only then will we stop having suspensions for playing in charity basketball games and season and a half suspensions for a winter coat while other schools are blatantly paying thousands of dollars cash.

So before we lose a game today where we trail 21-17 at halftime and lose 42-24, think about who really needs to be fired. Because if you think the gap between Freeze and Mullen is huge - the gap between Bjork and Stricklin is bigger.

We returned a lot of starters from last year's 8 win team. Everyone of our Oline had starting experience and our Dline is better. This year shouldn't be a rebuilding year. When you return your Oline RBs and QBs and almost your entire defense that is never rebuilding.

Political Hack
11-09-2013, 01:34 PM
this isn't a Dan Mullen thread. It's a Scott Stricklin thread.

let's see if we can stay on point here for once.

War Machine Dawg
11-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Bwahahaha.....good luck with that.

For what it's worth, I agree that Strick is LT 2.0. Until MSU stops being so inbred in it's hiring practices, we can't ever hope for better than what we have. The darkest day in MSU Athletics history is the day Ninja picked up the phone and called Arizona to put Strick's name in the hat.

Will James
11-09-2013, 01:45 PM
It's not losing, it's finding creative ways to lose(AU), creative ways to almost lose to bullshit teams at home (BG, UK), and ways to drop heaping turds on the field (LSU, SCe, OSU)

its losing while offering no HOPE for the future. Let me see something these last 4 games to give me some HOPE going into next year. 3 bed shittings and a UK style Arkansas game will be inexcusable. We've shat the bed 7 times in our last 9 losses (excluding LSU last year which is close, and AU this year which I will classify as wetting the bed)

Tbonewannabe
11-09-2013, 01:51 PM

I agree that we should not have played Ok St. but I do disagree with not doing it because it is a rebuilding year. This is NOT a rebuilding year. If you want to say it is because we play tough games anyway I agree.

If we were ever going to schedule a game like that it was this year. We had Tyler, Perkins, Day, Gabe Jackson, McKinney, Malcolm Johnson, and Nickoe all on watch lists. We were scheduled to play an 8 win team that didn't return any more players than we did.

bully99
11-09-2013, 01:52 PM
But, they announced free pizza before every basketball game. That's a winner in my book.

You never know whether hiring someone in house or going outside the "family " is the right call. Remember Charlie Carr ? He was AD before Templeton. Lasted about a year and was a disaster. Lar was here 20 years and was just as bad. One an outsider and the other an insider.

Coach34
11-09-2013, 01:57 PM
We returned a lot of starters from last year's 8 win team. Everyone of our Oline had starting experience and our Dline is better. This year shouldn't be a rebuilding year. When you return your Oline RBs and QBs and almost your entire defense that is never rebuilding.

We lost 5 starters on O- 3 WR's, TE, and RG...we lost a DT, LB, and 2 CB's and a Safety on D. That's only 12 starters returning- and was one of the lowest in the SEC this year. Then we lost Hughes, Russell, and Malone by halftime essentially in the 1st game.

Tbonewannabe
11-09-2013, 02:25 PM
We lost 5 starters on O- 3 WR's, TE, and RG...we lost a DT, LB, and 2 CB's and a Safety on D. That's only 12 starters returning- and was one of the lowest in the SEC this year. Then we lost Hughes, Russell, and Malone by halftime essentially in the 1st game.

We are also faster and more athletic at WR, TE - Malcolm Johnson (on TE watch list), LG is the best in the country and we returned Starting Tackles and Center (on Remington watch list). DT - If you don't think we are better on Dline this year I can't help you. Safety was playing out of position - Everyone including you thought we would be better there. CBs is a big loss but since we were playing Wilson's ****ed up D this year is not a whole lot worse. Losing Cam Lawrence is a loss but once again everyone including you thought we would be better by putting more speed on the field. McKinney, Skinner, and Wells this year is > Cam, McKinney, Skinner last year.

Injuries don't come into play since this is why we scheduled the game. They weren't hurt when we scheduled the game.