PDA

View Full Version : So Auburn is using a converted DB

SignalToNoise
11-09-2013, 12:24 PM
at QB, and they even have the ability to get a quick strike TD. Marshall just threw a very nice looking TD pass.

What is about our offense that doesn't allow this? You can say inexperienced WRs but it's not like our senior-laden group last year was just running loose in secondaries.

Is it just part of our offensive philosophy that we do not throw the ball deep? Do our QBs struggle badly with throwing the deep ball? Are we waiting on one of our bigger Wrs to develop as a deep threat?

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Auburn's WR talent is far beyond ours.

Apoplectic
11-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Auburn's WR talent is far beyond ours.

"Far beyond" is a stretch - better coached probably isn't though.

SignalToNoise
11-09-2013, 12:39 PM
"Far beyond" is a stretch - better coached probably isn't though.

This is what I'm thinking.

The bigger concern in this (to me) is that we've had shitty WR play under the entire Mullen regime. The last time I remember us hitting a big play to a WR was in the '09 Kentucky game. Tyson Lee hit O'Neal Wilder on a deep play for a TD.

We just seem to show no WR development at all.

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Actually, I just looked up Auburn's WR's high school profiles and ours are just as if not more talented.

It might just be effort. Auburn throws deep and we don't.

Coach34
11-09-2013, 12:48 PM
"Far beyond" is a stretch.

No- not its not. Our Wr's arent in their neighborhood

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Coach, thats what I thought as well, but look up their top receiver's high school profiles and you'll see they weren't any more highly recruited than ours.

Coach34
11-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Coach, thats what I though as well, but look up their top receiver's high school profiles and you'll see they weren't any more highly recruited than ours.

I dont look at profiles- I watch the players on the field. I can look at guys and judge talent a helluva lot better than Yancu and Jean

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2013, 12:57 PM
I dont look at profiles- I watch the players on the field. I can look at guys and judge talent a helluva lot better than Yancu and Jean

Who is Yancu?

dawgs
11-09-2013, 12:58 PM

Sounds like you are judging the coaching, not the pure talent.

CadaverDawg
11-09-2013, 01:05 PM

My goodness

MarketingBully01
11-09-2013, 01:09 PM
We can quick strike. What do you call the up top home run passes to both Bear and Lewis in the LSU game? Our offense has the ability. For some reason, Mullen doesn't do it that much. It's more on Mullen's calls then our offense doesn't have those plays in it.

Coach34
11-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Sounds like you are judging the coaching, not the pure talent.

No- I judge the talent.

What is their game speed?
Do they fight for the ball?
Do they grab the ball or try to hug it?
Are they physical when they block?
Do they have instincts or are they clueless?

I don't need a profile to see those things

MarketingBully01
11-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Hehe, that's just precious. Auburn doesn't have more talent at the WR position then we do.

CadaverDawg
11-09-2013, 01:12 PM
No- I judge the talent.

What is their game speed?
Do they fight for the ball?
Do they grab the ball or try to hug it?
Are they physical when they block?
Do they have instincts or are they clueless?

I don't need a profile to see those things

But they need coaching to be good and "noticeable" in most of the things you listed. I know that doesn't fit the "the coaches aren't to blame for anything" mantra that's floating around here though these days, so I'll leave it at that.

MarketingBully01
11-09-2013, 01:15 PM
It's just like I think Perkins is as talented as Tre Mason. For some reason, he has not run like it this year either via injuries or what have you. I do think Auburn's OLine is better and that might be where the biggest difference in our offenses might be.

MarketingBully01
11-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Most of the time you have to teach a lot of those items you are judging. I thought Ross was supposed to be better then he has shown so far. Wilson is hard to judge because this is just his third year of playing football. Lewis has improved hands down above everyone else. I thought both Johnson's would be better. Gonzales needs to step up his coaching because he was supposed to be one of the best in the country at coaching wide receivers. Hopefully it will start showing up at the end of this year and into the next.

Coach34
11-09-2013, 01:24 PM
But they need coaching to be good and "noticeable" in most of the things you listed. I know that doesn't fit the "the coaches aren't to blame for anything" mantra that's floating around here though these days, so I'll leave it at that.

No they dont.

You dont coach game speed
You dont coach a player to go get a ball and fight for for it- that's like saying LeBron was coached to jump up and slam it. It's just ****ing natural ability.
You dont coach players to catch the ball. It's a natural ability. There are drills people do to hone those abilities, but your best WR's dont hug the ball consistently- they grab it. It's natural to them.
Being taught how to block is coaching- being physical when blocking is ability.

Instincts are God-given. It's how players react to the ball when it's in the air. Coaches dont teach WR's to turn their body while in the air, torquing it however they must to make a catch- that is just pure ability.

CadaverDawg
11-09-2013, 01:29 PM
No they dont.

You dont coach game speed
You dont coach a player to go get a ball and fight for for it- that's like saying LeBron was coached to jump up and slam it. It's just ****ing natural ability.
You dont coach players to catch the ball. It's a natural ability. There are drills people do to hone those abilities, but your best WR's dont hug the ball consistently- they grab it. It's natural to them.
Being taught how to block is coaching- being physical when blocking is ability.

Instincts are God-given. It's how players react to the ball when it's in the air. Coaches dont teach WR's to turn their body while in the air, torquing it however they must to make a catch- that is just pure ability.

You DO coach players to go get the damn ball...especially receivers that haven't played as much football like bear.
You DO coach players how to go up and catch the ball at it's highest point.
You DO coach players to catch it with their hands instead of their body.
You DO coach receivers how to block downfield.

You can say what you want to try and fit your agenda, but we have just as much talent as Auburn at WR. They just know how to coach and utilize theirs better. There is no reason that Fred Ross and Bear Wilson aren't making plays every week for us. First they have to get coaching, next they have to get playing time, and finally they have to get targets. And spare the "they don't know what they are doing" garbage...because there are freshman WR's starting every week across the country. That's another lame excuse in what has become a LONG list of lame excuses lately.

Auburn wanted Bear Wilson...so apparently they are not only recruiting similar WR's....we are even beating them out for some of them.

Coach34
11-09-2013, 01:45 PM
You DO coach players to go get the damn ball...especially receivers that haven't played as much football like bear.- no you dont. Talented people like Bear know how to go get it. That's why Bear caught his deep pass and Morrow has dropped both of his. Bear has more talent than him. Bear just has so much other shit to figure out. But catching the ball is not his problem or knowing when to jump and grab it.

You DO coach players how to go up and catch the ball at it's highest point.- Coaches TELL lesser players that- you dont have to tell that to guys with talent. It's their instinct.
You DO coach players to catch it with their hands instead of their body.- aGAIN, that's what you tell lesser players. Talented players already do that stuff naturally.
You DO coach receivers how to block downfield.- what does that have to do with being PHYSICAL? Let me explain it a way that you might understand. I've got Gabe Jackson and Clausell taught everything they could possibly be taught. Do you think Clausell is going to be as physical as Gabe? Even if he does everything technique-wise correctly? Hell no he's not. Gabe has more ability than Clausell to be physical. And it's not just size and strength- some kids are just more physical than others. And that is what you look for in WR's. Some will take your damn head off if they get the chance, and some avoid as much contact as possible. They will give a DB a good push and try to get the job done- and some will absolutely lock on and shove a DB around because he enjoys mixing it up. That's not coached- it's reaction and how they play. It's in their DNA.

answers in bold up there

There is no agenda- I'm saying our WR's are shit. And that falls on the Mullen. But it's not coaching as much as it' talent. Our WR's arent nearly as good as Auburn's. If you can't watch them and see it? I'm sorry.

MarketingBully01
11-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Although I think Morrow has improved quite a bit this year, I think our stubborness in trying to develop him has hurt our development of Ross and Wilson who in my opinion have higher ceilings. Just my opinion though from what I am seeing.

CadaverDawg
11-09-2013, 01:55 PM
That's all excuses, and your opinion. Somehow our coaches turned Relf into a great QB, but we can't teach a WR to catch the ball at it's highest point over a 4 year career? Nonsense.

And as for the "if you can't watch and see" comment..

You're right, it's hard to see because we don't put our best ones on the field enough, or throw them the ball enough....but what I have seen is a bunch of WR's that do not progress much from year to year (except Jameon)....and that falls on coaching.

It's probably dumb for me to argue it because you will continue to spin it. But for the record, I'm not buying it. And good grief, if all of our WR's can't block, can't catch, can't jump, can't run, etc., As you are trying to say....then how in the hell were they ranked equal to Auburn's?? These damn recruiting guys somehow ranked a bunch of terrible WR's as 3 stars and 4 stars, but they just missed on ALL OF THEM? Please...take that somewhere else because you know it's not true. I know the star rankings are often wrong...but to act like they missed on our whole group while they got Auburn's right, is just simply not true

Coach34
11-09-2013, 02:20 PM
wow...ok. Wow

maroonmania
11-09-2013, 03:40 PM

Mullen's failure to bring in top end offensive playmakers is a big drag on our offense. We didn't even really take a shot downfield last week at all.