PDA

View Full Version : LSU Self Imposes Bowl Ban

confucius say
12-09-2020, 07:45 PM
Bout to get ugly on the bayou

R2Dawg
12-09-2020, 07:51 PM
Over what? Beckham money handout?

What about their basketball? They should be next. That was way worse to me.

On the MSU side, if they do we may still get a bowl at 2-8. What a joke that would be. Bowl streak continues.

Agree, may be fastest mood change in NCAA history - NC to wanting to fire coaches.

Hambone
12-09-2020, 07:55 PM
I hope the NCAA thank you, here are another 3 more!

VandelayIndustries
12-09-2020, 08:03 PM
A lot of rumors about more opt outs/ transfers. O won’t last long

Duckdog
12-09-2020, 08:36 PM
They just admitted to being rape u. NCAA is going to drop dong

SmokeyDawg
12-09-2020, 09:07 PM
Can we drop a duffel bag off to maason smith and self impose a bowl ban for this year?

Jack Lambert
12-09-2020, 09:24 PM

On the MSU side, if they do we may still get a bowl at 2-8. What a joke that would be. Bowl streak continues.

Agree, may be fastest mood change in NCAA history - NC to wanting to fire coaches.

We were going bowling anyways. This might move us up to a better bowl.

vv83
12-09-2020, 09:25 PM
Staff needs to do whatever it takes to go get Deion Smith back here

confucius say
12-09-2020, 09:34 PM
Staff needs to do whatever it takes to go get Deion Smith back here

Has anybody seen him play? I watched him once and he was shut down. Maybe he will be Jerry rice, I just haven't seen it so asking if others have actually seen him.

Joebob
12-09-2020, 10:19 PM
The bowl ban was over the booster payments to the players and their families, per ESPN.

In the old days they would have gotten the death penalty for these kind of violations (one booster embezzled a half million dollars from a hospital foundation and then gave some of it to LSU players), but we all know we'll never see that again.

Matt3467
12-09-2020, 10:58 PM

Tbh it didn't sit right with me when we went to a bowl at 5-7. Yea we get to say the streak continues but it's like being handed a participation trophy. We didn't deserve a bowl that year and nearly lost to Miami (OH) anyway.

Hambone
12-10-2020, 07:40 AM
I think it rewarded the student athletes for getting their business done in the classroom. No, we didn’t deserve it record wise, but there were other teams with the exact same record that didn’t have the grades.

msudawg1200
12-10-2020, 08:03 AM
We were going bowling anyways. This might move us up to a better bowl.

This. It doesn't matter if we finish 2-8 or not.

FISHDAWG
12-10-2020, 08:24 AM
Tbh it didn't sit right with me when we went to a bowl at 5-7. Yea we get to say the streak continues but it's like being handed a participation trophy. We didn't deserve a bowl that year and nearly lost to Miami (OH) anyway.

We got in because they needed another team or two to fill all the bowls that year ... we weren't randomly chosen - we went because rules say in case of a situation like that then the teams academic grade average will be the deciding factor for the invitation .... Guess what - we were the highest so we got to go bowling with a 5-7 record so yes we did deserve to go to a bowl ... we just earned it in another manner

StateDawg44
12-10-2020, 08:44 AM
We got in because they needed another team or two to fill all the bowls that year ... we weren't randomly chosen - we went because rules say in case of a situation like that then the teams academic grade average will be the deciding factor for the invitation .... Guess what - we were the highest so we got to go bowling with a 5-7 record so yes we did deserve to go to a bowl ... we just earned it in another manner

I get what you're saying but...... in the grand scheme of football and what bowls are about, that sounds pretty participation trophy'y

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2020, 08:50 AM
self imposed bowl bans shouldn't be allowed after the season starts. Incredibly disingenuous action

StateDawg44
12-10-2020, 08:59 AM
self-imposed bowl bans shouldn't be allowed after the season starts. Incredibly disingenuous action

Especially this one. NCAA shouldn't have even given them a chance to self-impose before dropping the hammer. (On football & basketball)

But yeah, doing it at this point is a spit in the eye to everyone. Especially the sexual assault victims. I don't even know if all of that is part of this though.

FISHDAWG
12-10-2020, 10:05 AM
self imposed bowl bans shouldn't be allowed after the season starts. Incredibly disingenuous action

I thought I heard where they also volunteered schollie reductions also ... didn't hear how many they offered, but this is ludicrous to try this during the season - they must be expecting some serious repercussion and if LSU is "nervous" then it's probably worse than we actually know

R2Dawg
12-10-2020, 12:18 PM
I get what you're saying but...... in the grand scheme of football and what bowls are about, that sounds pretty participation trophy'y

I could be slightly OK with the 5-7 year being the other stuff was counted but getting one at 2-8 is a joke. Mark it down, there will be many bragging about the bowl streak in the next several years assuming we go next year. JWS had an SEC title contending team go 7-4 in 1997 and didn't even get a bowl for so many that like to compare now to what a failure our other past teams were.

Bowl streak is useless today.

R2Dawg
12-10-2020, 12:20 PM

Agree but that matches the joke that the NCAA and to be honest about every other institution in our nation is today. Typical, I expect nothing less.

confucius say
12-10-2020, 01:18 PM
I could be slightly OK with the 5-7 year being the other stuff was counted but getting one at 2-8 is a joke. Mark it down, there will be many bragging about the bowl streak in the next several years assuming we go next year. JWS had an SEC title contending team go 7-4 in 1997 and didn't even get a bowl for so many that like to compare now to what a failure our other past teams were.

Bowl streak is useless today.

If useless and so easy to achieve, why are we one of only 12 teams to have an 11 year bowl streak?
It absolutely matters and should be celebrated.

yjnkdawg
12-10-2020, 10:35 PM
Coach O did coach at OM. He taught "The Network" how to be more innovative and efficient.

R2Dawg
12-10-2020, 10:46 PM
If useless and so easy to achieve, why are we one of only 12 teams to have an 11 year bowl streak?
It absolutely matters and should be celebrated.

Hey if I am debating my Olemiss buddies, yeah I'll use it. Hey I'll take it, don't turn it down. Milk it but, really. Some of the same MSU fans bragging about it will bash but we never went to that many in the 80s for 90s. Get some perspective. That 97, 7-4 team that didn't go bowling and beat SECW champ Aub 20-0 at Auburn would beat the brakes off 2/3 of our great bowl teams in this streak.

But the truth is, it is a meaningless thing these days. I was OK with 5-7 getting in with academic standing and we did win that bowl game so that helped validate some but 2-8? Is that what we poke our chest out about? Seriously?

confucius say
12-10-2020, 10:54 PM
Hey if I am debating my Olemiss buddies, yeah I'll use it. Hey I'll take it, don't turn it down. Milk it but, really. Some of the same MSU fans bragging about it will bash but we never went to that many in the 80s for 90s. Get some perspective. That 97, 7-4 team that didn't go bowling and beat SECW champ Aub 20-0 at Auburn would beat the brakes off 2/3 of our great bowl teams in this streak.

But the truth is, it is a meaningless thing these days. I was OK with 5-7 getting in with academic standing and we did win that bowl game so that helped validate some but 2-8? Is that what we poke our chest out about? Seriously?

If you are talking about just 2020, yes it is meaningless this one year.

But the last 11 years, Everybody else has had the same chance to make a bowl every year just like we did. They didn't. Only 10% of teams have done it and we are one of them. Not aub, not OM, not ark, not TN, not Fla, not Usce, not vandy, not ky, not Mizzou. Our level of consistency should be celebrated, not downplayed.

R2Dawg
12-10-2020, 10:57 PM
If you are talking about just 2020, yes it is meaningless this one year.

But the last 11 years, Everybody else has had the same chance to make a bowl every year just like we did. They didn't. Only 10% of teams have done it and we are one of them. Not aub, not OM, not ark, not TN, not Fla, not Usce, not vandy, not ky, not Mizzou. Our level of consistency should be celebrated, not downplayed.

Our consistency has been good, I've often bragged about that. We have been one of more consistent programs. Bowl streak is just that a streak which includes this year, not deserving. All other years yes deserved. The posts were about the bowl streak not all the other bowl earned years we got. Streak is all of them or it isn't a streak so the streak gets weak after this year. Does that explain where I'm coming from?

confucius say
12-10-2020, 11:01 PM
Our consistency has been good, I've often bragged about that. We have been one of more consistent programs. Bowl streak is just that a streak which includes this year, not deserving. All other years yes deserved. The posts were about the bowl streak not all the other bowl earned years we got. Streak is all of them or it isn't a streak so the streak gets weak after this year. Does that explain where I'm coming from?

Yea I hear ya. Let's let this year play out though before we pass final judgment

Liverpooldawg
12-11-2020, 12:47 AM
Given where we are this season, can we self impose one to off set any future transgressions?

Todd4State
12-11-2020, 01:31 AM

No one "ratioanal"ly downplays their own teams accomplishments better than MSU fans. 2-8 this year is about the equivalent to 6-6 most seasons for us. We went to a bowl in 2011 with a 2-6 SEC record for context.

Todd4State
12-11-2020, 01:32 AM
Given where we are this season, can we self impose one to off set any future transgressions?

Or maybe we can actually restructure our compliance department instead and stop pretending like we're still in 1996?

MagicDawg
12-11-2020, 12:36 PM
Every year we are not going to get a bowl, we should self-impose a bowl ban. Then our streak will continue indefinitely in that we were in a bowl every single year we weren't banned.