RocketDawg
12-08-2020, 08:37 PM
Game starts in about 25 minutes.

chef dixon
12-08-2020, 09:09 PM
Man Molinar looks confident

Irondawg
12-08-2020, 09:14 PM
Our halfcourt offense is soooooo stagnant compared to most modern day sets. Which might be fine if we were trying to isolate guys in the post but that's not the case.

I cannot understand how in the world Howland hasn't brought in somebody to manage that end of the floor.

chef dixon
12-08-2020, 09:20 PM
Our halfcourt offense is soooooo stagnant compared to most modern day sets. Which might be fine if we were trying to isolate guys in the post but that's not the case.

I cannot understand how in the world Howland hasn't brought in somebody to manage that end of the floor.

We've had no plan whatsoever this year with D Smith running the point. He needs help

CaptainObvious
12-08-2020, 09:24 PM
How to look crappy against a SWAC team?***

Irondawg
12-08-2020, 09:25 PM
Well I've watched a good part of two games now and I don't know how we continue to find players with absolutely no feel for the game or innate basketball IQ. We're incredibly athletic, but we have precious little skill or natural shooting touch.

I don't see how we win many SEC games and I don't really see help on the way either from this recruiting class. It's time for Howland to hire an OC or it's time for a change in my opinion.

Irondawg
12-08-2020, 09:30 PM
We just had a 4 on 2 break and end up with a forced 20 foot jumper by Johnson.

Most of our players shooting form is soooo stiff. I don't know if it's Howland messing with our their shots like he talks about all the time or if they're just naturally this way.

CaptainObvious
12-08-2020, 09:30 PM
1 of last 13 shots. How can college basketball players be such horrid shooters?

parabrave
12-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Well I guess only Mol and DJ want to score tonight.

Irondawg
12-08-2020, 09:43 PM
Barkley would have used up his quota for times he can say "turrbible" already if he was calling this game

parabrave
12-08-2020, 09:45 PM
What is Matthews doing out there?

R2Dawg
12-08-2020, 09:47 PM
We can't hit the broad side of a barn. Officiating been bad too. Ado gets called for the most ridiculous fouls. Ironically we are not playing relaxed. Taking Molinar out when we did was not good. Molinar was in a zone.

R2Dawg
12-08-2020, 09:48 PM
What is Matthews doing out there?

Matthews hasn't shown me anything yet. He should be coming off the bench for now.

Irondawg
12-08-2020, 09:52 PM
Who would you put in for Matthews? Johnson is just as bad.

We are Rick Ray level bad in scoring talent - we are just more physically imposing than those teams.

R2Dawg
12-08-2020, 09:58 PM
Who would you put in for Matthews? Johnson is just as bad.

We are Rick Ray level bad in scoring talent - we are just more physically imposing than those teams.

Johnson probably. He can at least shoot the 3. Davis shoots 3s too much. Matthews just a little raw but he is a freshman

msstate7
12-08-2020, 10:01 PM
Listening to radio. Said Molinar got fitted for a special glove to take his thumb out of his shot, and the results have been great. Pretty cool

chef dixon
12-08-2020, 10:16 PM
Nice start to the second half. Up 41-30.

Give Matthews a break. He's a freshman and does a lot of dirty work. Never going to be a big scorer or look flashy.

chef dixon
12-08-2020, 10:20 PM
Tolu doing what he should have been doing in the first half. Up 47-30. 13-0 run to start the second half.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2020, 10:23 PM
I really wish Howland would play Smith, Molinar, and Stewart together but he just won't do it. Stewart can guard the 3 spot.

parabrave
12-08-2020, 10:25 PM
Listening to radio. Said Molinar got fitted for a special glove to take his thumb out of his shot, and the results have been great. Pretty cool

It stops him from spinning the ball. Also Tulu going strong in the 2nd half.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2020, 10:25 PM
I really wish Howland would play Smith, Molinar, and Stewart together but he just won't do it. Stewart can guard the 3 spot.

Howland checking the board during the game. He just put in Devion for Matthews.

parabrave
12-08-2020, 10:26 PM
52-34 14 mins to go

HoopsDawg
12-08-2020, 10:28 PM
Howland checking the board during the game. He just put in Devion for Matthews.

Welp we scored on 2 of the 3 possession and that's all we got. Glad to see it though.

thf24
12-08-2020, 10:45 PM
I wonder if we're ever going to have another men's basketball game thread that doesn't largely read like we're getting run out of the gym regardless of what's happening in the game.

Ari Gold
12-08-2020, 10:49 PM
If the score wasn’t posted in a couple of posts and you read this thread you would think we were down double digits instead of up by almost 30

Seriously some of you need to just watch or listen to the game and not post until after..
there will be plenty of time for your Fire Howland posts , Ado sucks posts, we can’t shoot posts ( 7-15 from 3 last time I checked) , and I hate MSU basketball every since Stands left posts after the game ...

ZedFedder
12-08-2020, 10:52 PM
They have been great. Good job guys. Also, Howland seems to be chewing them a little more.

parabrave
12-08-2020, 11:05 PM
Check out tulus 2nd half stats, 14 PTs, 9 Rebounds. He just took over coming out of the lockerroom.

tcdog70
12-08-2020, 11:12 PM
Molinar-DJ and Tolu are good players. And Ado is a defensive force. We just need someone else to step up.

parabrave
12-08-2020, 11:20 PM
Molinar-DJ and Tolu are good players. And Ado is a defensive force. We just need someone else to step up.

Someone will. They are young. Defense came on really strong in the 2nd and Davis came on strong in the 2nd half. The others will come along. We will have a good test Saturday.

parabrave
12-08-2020, 11:44 PM

I do miss listening to Richard. He was like listening to Hokie Gajan on Saints radio.

Irondawg
12-08-2020, 11:56 PM
The first half we were atrocious and that for whatever reason has been a Howland staple that we alternate halves where we look awful vs halves where we look decent.

We were able to exploit our massive size advantage in the second half and Molinar caught fire. I still think we are going to struggle to score in conference games

parabrave
12-09-2020, 12:19 AM
The first half we were atrocious and that for whatever reason has been a Howland staple that we alternate halves where we look awful vs halves where we look decent.

We were able to exploit our massive size advantage in the second half and Molinar caught fire. I still think we are going to struggle to score in conference games

It's been this way for the year so far. The 1st half we look like we are trying to figure things out the come out of the locker room blazing hot.

msu15
12-09-2020, 12:56 AM
That 2nd half needs to be shown to the team every day for the rest of the year. That is how we have to play offensively if we want to have a prayer in SEC play this year. Pound it inside and either get a look from a big or force a double and kick it out for an open shot.

parabrave
12-09-2020, 02:30 AM
That 2nd half needs to be shown to the team every day for the rest of the year. That is how we have to play offensively if we want to have a prayer in SEC play this year. Pound it inside and either get a look from a big or force a double and kick it out for an open shot.

Thats what Tulu did at the beginning of the 2nd. He drove to the basket muscled his way through 2 defenders and picked up the foul. Neal said it was a thing of beauty. We need more of this type of brawn.

Todd4State
12-09-2020, 02:59 AM
Did Snacks play for Jackson State?

msu15
12-09-2020, 03:36 AM
Thats what Tulu did at the beginning of the 2nd. He drove to the basket muscled his way through 2 defenders and picked up the foul. Neal said it was a thing of beauty. We need more of this type of brawn.

Yes sir! I forgot to add that it gets the other team in foul trouble by pounding it, but we need to make more free throws!

ZedFedder
12-09-2020, 06:26 AM
Did Snacks play for Jackson State?

Sadly, no. Did he graduate?

thf24
12-09-2020, 09:20 AM

While I think most of the criticism Howland gets is unrealistic, it's undeniable that weak first halves are a recurring theme for his teams here. This team so far plays with a lot more effort and hustle than those of the past few years, so I'm hoping we can mostly chalk it up this year to the greatly abbreviated preseason and our relatively large number of newcomers. We'll see after a few more games.

tcdog70
12-09-2020, 10:10 AM
first half we were shooting too quickly. we settled down in the second half got it inside and finished at the rim. plus they shot 7-14 from he 3 in the first half.

Johnson85
12-09-2020, 10:53 AM

When I have watched us play, we have looked pretty bad, but we don't look like we should be that bad. Seems like we have the pieces to be a solid team. Maybe I am seeing players' best plays and overestimating them based on flashes, but it looks like we have a lot of players with the potential to be solid to good.

RougeDawg
12-09-2020, 11:21 AM
As with football, this year in basketball is going to take a while to gel. All of the restrictions limited regular practices. Throw in losing 2 guys to the NBA, and it will take a good 8-10 games for the players to get a feel for everyone. Just look at football, it took over half of the season for the team to semi get on the same page. 2020 is a wash for sports. Let?s just hope they can improve and get better the deeper we get into the season.

R2Dawg
12-09-2020, 07:43 PM
This team has to get a little more chemistry and some new players figure out their roles and I think that will come.

However, we have some special things, I have not seen on MSU basketball in many years. This team is gonna win big at some point.

First we don't have selfish play. Not many ill advised shots, rushed shots, bad shots, ball hogging, look at me stuff. I don't see it from anyone. Culture change is big.

Second, Don't see much attitude. Everyone plays, plays hard, don't complain to refs, each other or to coaches. They seem to like each other, cheer each other on, etc.

Third, they all hustle. Don't see a lot of loafing. They may make a wrong read occasionally but not due to effort.

We've had talent before but when you combine talent with above culture piece, you can get something special. This team is talented too. DJ and Molinar will become best backcourt in SEC before long. T. Smith is a polished inside man. Reminds me of a combo of L.Roberts and Mario Austin and he is only a soph. Our best 3 players are only soph. They will win big before they leave.

NCMSTFAN
12-09-2020, 11:05 PM
I agree R2Dawg. We will have some growing pains along the way but I like this bunch as TEAM, more than I have liked some of our other recent teams. We don't have the pure individual talent as past teams but we still have enough talent to win, without the ego's.We have something potentially special with DJ and Iverson in the backcourt, and they are both only sophomores, 2 very unselfish, smart athletic players. Tolu looks to be the real deal in the post and Javian Davis is also very solid down there. Ado will always defend and rebound.... I think if we can get a little more out of Deivon and or Jalen Johnson, we can sneak up on a few teams as we continue to gel.