PDA

View Full Version : Now that HS FB has ended- reclassification thread

Coach34
12-08-2020, 06:54 PM
I hadnt seen a thread on this when it came out- but reclassification is happening now for the next 2 school years. A little movement going on. And to make this personal- 5A is absolutely ridiculous - https://www.misshsaa.com/2020/10/29/2021-23-football-regions/

Brookhaven High School 5 3
Florence High School 5 3
Hattiesburg High School 5 3
Laurel High School 5 3
Natchez High School 5 3
South Jones High School 5 3
Wayne County High School 5 3
West Jones High School 5 3

Absolutely filthy conference schedule with ridiculous travel

Westdawg
12-08-2020, 07:27 PM
That's ridiculous to make Natchez travel that far for MULTIPLE district games in the same season. And what a brutal district. Nobody will come out of that reg season unscathed.

Westdawg
12-08-2020, 07:35 PM
They could have made 6-8 "districts" and cut way down on a lot of that travel

Liverpooldawg
12-08-2020, 07:52 PM
1A South will have both the defending 1A State Champ, and the defending 2A State Champ, in the same region.

msu15
12-08-2020, 08:35 PM
I hadnt seen a thread on this when it came out- but reclassification is happening now for the next 2 school years. A little movement going on. And to make this personal- 5A is absolutely ridiculous - https://www.misshsaa.com/2020/10/29/2021-23-football-regions/

Florence High School 5 3
Laurel High School 5 3
Natchez High School 5 3

Though we kicked their ass every year I played for Meridian, I had to make 2 trips to Natchez. Awful trips.

Captain Falcon
12-08-2020, 08:44 PM

Florence High School 5 3
Laurel High School 5 3
Natchez High School 5 3

The problem is where do you put Natchez if not that district? All of the other 5A teams in the south are on the coast. I?m pretty sure they?ve been in that division with the Jones County schools for years. I realize they?re still the odd ball of that district but I?m not sure what the solution is.

West Jones & Wayne County being in the same division again is nice to see. That was the best rivalry in the state in the 2000s and it has started to become competitive again the last few years with WJ having a return to relevance the last 3 years. Those two teams have had some absolute knockdown drag outs over the years. If you?re a high school football fan this is a game you need to go see in person at some point.

And then you still have Hattiesburg, Laurel, and Ole Brook in that division. Nuts. Pretty much means a good team will miss the playoffs both of the next two years.

msstate7
12-08-2020, 08:52 PM
How long as Hattiesburg been 5a? I thought for sure they'd be 6a

Todd4State
12-08-2020, 11:12 PM
I'd like to see 5A and 6A combined into the same classification to make a 64 team classification. Eight districts with eight teams in them apiece. And then add another round to the playoffs where the top four teams in each district make it.

I think that may solve some of these issues.

William Tecumsah Sherman
12-08-2020, 11:14 PM
Coach, that?s rough. How do you predict you guys will stack up in that division?

Cooterpoot
12-09-2020, 04:43 AM
George Co dropping to 5A makes it better too.

bulldawg28
12-09-2020, 05:59 AM
When did Moss point drop to 4A?

Coach34
12-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Coach, that?s rough. How do you predict you guys will stack up in that division?

We have 9 starters returning on offense- 2 were on the 5A All-State team. 1st team WR Mike Williams and 2nd team RB Tray Minor. We put up about 34 PPG this season with this group and will be better next year. Started 6 Sophs. Our problem is the lack of talent on D. We trying to get in the weight room and get better. Problem in Natchez is that everybody plays WR. We low on trench guys. We’ll be ok but that is a rough schedule considering Natchez had 3 JPS schools on the conference schedule the last few years

msu15
12-09-2020, 04:05 PM
We have 9 starters returning on offense- 2 were on the 5A All-State team. 1st team WR Mike Williams and 2nd team RB Tray Minor. We put up about 34 PPG this season with this group and will be better next year. Started 6 Sophs. Our problem is the lack of talent on D. We trying to get in the weight room and get better. Problem in Natchez is that everybody plays WR. We low on trench guys. We’ll be ok but that is a rough schedule considering Natchez had 3 JPS schools on the conference schedule the last few years

Only 34 ppg? With the way you had been talking I figured y'all would be way higher than that. Underwhelming

Captain Falcon
12-09-2020, 04:12 PM
How long as Hattiesburg been 5a? I thought for sure they'd be 6a

Since about 3-4 years ago if I?m not mistaken.

notsofarawaydawg
12-09-2020, 04:18 PM
The problem is where do you put Natchez if not that district? All of the other 5A teams in the south are on the coast. I?m pretty sure they?ve been in that division with the Jones County schools for years. I realize they?re still the odd ball of that district but I?m not sure what the solution is.

West Jones & Wayne County being in the same division again is nice to see. That was the best rivalry in the state in the 2000s and it has started to become competitive again the last few years with WJ having a return to relevance the last 3 years. Those two teams have had some absolute knockdown drag outs over the years. If you?re a high school football fan this is a game you need to go see in person at some point.

And then you still have Hattiesburg, Laurel, and Ole Brook in that division. Nuts. Pretty much means a good team will miss the playoffs both of the next two years.

Natchez used to be grouped with all the Jackson directional schools.

Captain Falcon
12-09-2020, 05:16 PM
Natchez used to be grouped with all the Jackson directional schools.

Yeah I notice that Wingfield dropped down to 4A but Florence comes into that district so there's still one Jackson-area school. The difference is you trade Jim Hill and Forest Hill for Wayne County and Hattiesburg. From a competitive standpoint (and in Natchez's case a travel standpoint) that is ROUGH.

Coach34
12-09-2020, 05:20 PM
Only 34 ppg? With the way you had been talking I figured y'all would be way higher than that. Underwhelming

We were young and because of the virus didn’t get to play but 2 OOC games. We averaged 40 OOC. We’ll get there

Coach34
12-09-2020, 05:21 PM
Yeah I notice that Wingfield dropped down to 4A but Florence comes into that district so there's still one Jackson-area school. The difference is you trade Jim Hill and Forest Hill for Wayne County and Hattiesburg. From a competitive standpoint (and in Natchez's case a travel standpoint) that is ROUGH.

Yeah- like going from conference USA to the SEC

Captain Falcon
12-09-2020, 05:24 PM
Yeah- like going from conference USA to the SEC

Yeah that district at one point had four of those big five teams (WJ, WC, Laurel, Ole Brook) but Hattiesburg being in there too is a first. Hattiesburg has almost always been grouped with the Coast schools, at least in modern times.

LanceHarbor
12-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Unlike the trip to the shithole strip mall on I-20.

Though we kicked their ass every year I played for Meridian, I had to make 2 trips to Natchez. Awful trips.

Coach34
12-09-2020, 07:51 PM
Meridian was the worst place I've ever lived. And that list includes Toxey, Alabama and Isola, Miss

mcain31
12-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Keep up the good work for my hometown. You need to stop that pipeline of athletes to ACCS. That'd provide more depth

Jack Lambert
12-09-2020, 09:31 PM
Keep up the good work for my hometown. You need to stop that pipeline of athletes to ACCS. That'd provide more depth

Back in the 80's ACCS was bad ass.

HoopsCoach21
12-09-2020, 09:53 PM
We were young and because of the virus didn?t get to play but 2 OOC games. We averaged 40 OOC. We?ll get there

State was young too and because of the virus didn?t get to play OOC either. Too bad Leach doesn?t have the offensive mind you?ve got or maybe he could get us there too.

Cooterpoot
12-09-2020, 10:12 PM
Back in the 80's ACCS was bad ass.

Natchez Cathedral

Coach34
12-09-2020, 10:54 PM
State was young too and because of the virus didn?t get to play OOC either. Too bad Leach doesn?t have the offensive mind you?ve got or maybe he could get us there too.

We can only hope for the day he averages 34 PPG. But Like good coaches- I adjust my scheme to the talent available.

confucius say
12-09-2020, 10:57 PM
Meridian was the worst place I've ever lived. And that list includes Toxey, Alabama and Isola, Miss

Meridian is a sh-t hole