PDA

View Full Version : Some fans wish so hard for things they convince themselves

MedDawg
12-06-2020, 04:07 PM
that they will happen. Or see the logic in things and assume them to happen or not happen.

I did that with Mullen. I convinced myself that Tennessee was such a dumpster fire that no way Mullen would leave for Tennessee. Yet he almost did.

Many posters are convinced that Cohen us about to be fired or is on some kind of hot seat. It just seems so obvious to them.

I say Cohen is on NO kind of hot seat. In 2018 and 2019 State had our best finishes EVER in the Directors Cup (overall athletics program). A year or two ago we were one of 4 or so schools that had gone to the CWS, men's bb NCAA and women's NCAA (or something like that). Aren't our soccer and softball and volleyball teams better now too?

We built the best college baseball stadium in the country. I read that State is the only school in the country to go to four straight Super Regionals (incredible if true). And that would be with three different coaches.

EVERY hire Cohen has made was generally seen as a good hire by journalists and other coaches, including Cann and Moorhead. Some fans are still mad because we didn't get the TCU or Louisville baseball coaches (as promised by Cohen). Yet our baseball team is as strong as ever.

Cohen firing Moorhead after two bowl seasons and Cann immediately are positives, not negatives. Cohen was more proactive than any MSU AD ever and more proactive than most other ADs. What would Larry Templeton have done?

Leeshouldveflanked
12-06-2020, 04:12 PM
Anyone who values the opinion of a journalist shouldn?t have an opinion.

msbulldog
12-06-2020, 04:32 PM
that they will happen. Or see the logic in things and assume them to happen or not happen.

I did that with Mullen. I convinced myself that Tennessee was such a dumpster fire that no way Mullen would leave for Tennessee. Yet he almost did.

Many posters are convinced that Cohen us about to be fired or is on some kind of hot seat. It just seems so obvious to them.

I say Cohen is on NO kind of hot seat. In 2018 and 2019 State had our best finishes EVER in the Directors Cup (overall athletics program). A year or two ago we were one of 4 or so schools that had gone to the CWS, men's bb NCAA and women's NCAA (or something like that). Aren't our soccer and softball and volleyball teams better now too?

We built the best college baseball stadium in the country. I read that State is the only school in the country to go to four straight Super Regionals (incredible if true). And that would be with three different coaches.

EVERY hire Cohen has made was generally seen as a good hire by journalists and other coaches, including Cann and Moorhead. Some fans are still mad because we didn't get the TCU or Louisville baseball coaches (as promised by Cohen). Yet our baseball team is as strong as ever.

Cohen firing Moorhead after two bowl seasons and Cann immediately are positives, not negatives. Cohen was more proactive than any MSU AD ever and more proactive than most other ADs. What would Larry Templeton have done?

Preach! Rep Given.

MedDawg
12-06-2020, 04:41 PM

There are a lot of individual journalist examples for which I'd agree with you. But some baseball journalists seem more reliable, and a positive near consensus of football journalists may be considered a positive (for sports, not politics).

AROB44
12-06-2020, 04:56 PM

Is there anyone at MSU that you like or deem competent?

msstate7
12-06-2020, 04:58 PM
Cohen hired cann and Moorhead though. I'm indifferent towards Cohen, but you can't give a guy credit for a quick hook when it was his fault it had to done.

Quaoarsking
12-06-2020, 05:01 PM

Anybody, or just people you don't like?

RocketDawg
12-06-2020, 05:09 PM

I don't know if Cohen is on the hotseat or not, but football and men's basketball far outweigh all the other sports combined. And we're not doing all that well in either sport right now.

msu15
12-06-2020, 05:15 PM
I don't know if Cohen is on the hotseat or not, but football and men's basketball far outweigh all the other sports combined. And we're not doing all that well in either sport right now.

Bingo. Those 2 sports are worth more than the rest put together because of TV

Leeshouldveflanked
12-06-2020, 05:41 PM
Anybody, or just people you don't like?
Ian Rapoport is one of the best in the business..... Kendall Rogers is great at College Baseball, but it?s basically a club sport for about 80 percent of the NCAA.... as for Forde, Thames, Woken, et al...they all have their own agendas.... locally, most of the journalists don?t have any more info than anyone else, they just have a podcast and a Twitter..

confucius say
12-06-2020, 06:59 PM
Who thinks Cohen is on the hot seat? That's not even close to true

Captain Falcon
12-06-2020, 09:23 PM
We are at least two years away from the Cohen hot seat conversation to be realistic on any level. And the only way it ever happens then is if Leach ends up being a total flop.

MedDawg
12-08-2020, 08:59 AM
Who thinks Cohen is on the hot seat? That's not even close to true

Several here. One person said yesterday that if State he hired Joe Judge that Cohen would be getting fired right now. That's what spurred my post.

MedDawg
12-08-2020, 09:02 AM

Good point. Cohen may face tough decision regarding Howland soon. Keep him? If you fire him, you better have a good replacement. Leach has time.

But having a stronger overall athletic department should be acknowledged. And baseball counts a lot at State, too.

MedDawg
12-08-2020, 09:12 AM
Cohen hired cann and Moorhead though. I'm indifferent towards Cohen, but you can't give a guy credit for a quick hook when it was his fault it had to done.

That's part of my point. Both were seen as good hires by nearly everyone. No one could have predicted what happened with either.

I was really excited about Moorhead because I'm also a Penn State fan and saw how he improved them to a Big10 championship with an average but scrappy QB.

Cohen making quick decisions to fire them was more proactive than any previous MSU AD. Think about how so many bad coaches here stayed too long.

And Cohen replaced them with now a proven winner in Lemonis, and the currently 7th ranked active coach in wins. Leach was more established than really any other coach we have hired. Sherrill and Howland definitely had higher highs, but both were out of coaching when we hired them.

Some fans were mad at Cohen about Lemonis because they thought Cohen promised us a Top 5/10 coach. Well, at this point, it looks like Lemonis was a good hire. They need to let that go and stop holding it against Cohen.

StarkVegasSteve
12-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Cohen and Leach are tied together at the hip. You can't make two bad hires in football. Ray Tanner is now in the same boat with Shane Beamer. Cohen can make good hires in other sports, but as a previous poster said, the cash cows are football and men's basketball. They provide most, if not almost all, of your athletic revenue for the year. You HAVE to make good hires in those sports. And at MSU you can probably add baseball to the HAVE to make good hires in category.

CaptainObvious
12-08-2020, 11:48 AM
Mike Leach is the only sitting P-5 Coach ever hired by MSU. Let that sink in. 110+ years of football.

thf24
12-08-2020, 12:06 PM
I get the frustration at times, but I still can't fathom thinking Howland has turned out to be a bad hire who needs to be fired. The perceived expectations resulting from that move would lead us right back to another Rick Ray search and hire.

Reunion Dog
12-09-2020, 02:22 AM
Nelle.. is that you again?

MedDawg
12-09-2020, 09:03 AM
I get the frustration at times, but I still can't fathom thinking Howland has turned out to be a bad hire who needs to be fired. The perceived expectations resulting from that move would lead us right back to another Rick Ray search and hire.

I agree. I was just going on what I've read from posters who don't like Howland. Howland is doing ok, but not great. He seems to be recruiting well but not winning enough with those players.

I supported Stansbury up until the collapse at the end of his last season. During a time when the SEC was weak in basketball, Stans had us in the Top 2 or 3 of the SEC. Won the West several times. We fired him and hired Rick Ray.

There have been SO many "can't miss" coaching hires in the SEC that missed badly. Coaches that made it to the Elite Eight/FF at smaller schools, some top assistants at the best schools--so many have been hired in the SEC and flamed out. I am not confident one bit that we could replace Howland with a better coach.

Really, when you think about it, almost every coaching hire in the SEC over the past 20 years has flamed out. Calipari and Donovan, and he left after a couple average/bad seasons at UF. Maybe Bruce Pearl and Rick Barnes, but the jury is still out on Pearl and Barnes as to whether they can keep their schools at a high level.

A lot of SEC schools with a lot more money than State can't find a good basketball coach. Who is State going to get that other SEC schools can't?

RougeDawg
12-11-2020, 09:03 AM

I am in agreement. Add in the fact that Sloppy Joe getting the hook was mainly a directive from Keenum.

Leach will get it done. Sometimes it takes a little longer to weed the garden when the last guy in charge was fertilizing the weeds.