PDA

View Full Version : Shane Beamer

Fader21
12-03-2020, 09:35 PM
Could possibly become a head coach this cycle. He is involved with USCe and I think would make a pretty good coach. He actually is on my wish list if Leach is gone in a few years.

Todd4State
12-03-2020, 09:37 PM
He was on my list of mentions after Joe was fired. He'll be in the Coach O/Sam Pittman mold. A CEO coach who relies on good coordinators.

STATEBALLIN
12-03-2020, 10:59 PM
Not enough experience for me. At least for an SEC job and the pressure that comes with it. Carolina has a chance to make a move for #2 in the east with this hire. Beamer is too risky imo

msstate7
12-03-2020, 11:08 PM
Not enough experience for me. At least for an SEC job and the pressure that comes with it. Carolina has a chance to make a move for #2 in the east with this hire. Beamer is too risky imo

#2? Florida and Georgia will be very tough to pass

HoopsDawg
12-03-2020, 11:37 PM

Every hire is risky. You can throw that out the window. It's hard to find a bigger lock than Tom Herman at Texas or Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.

Todd4State
12-04-2020, 01:12 AM

I think a hire like this depends a lot on the coordinators that they bring in. He could bring in Longo from North Carolina and Coastal Carolina's DC and have a good staff.

I'm not sure about number two regardless of who they hire. #3 maybe depending on what Tennessee does.

STATEBALLIN
12-04-2020, 06:03 AM
Why I used a ?chance? at #2. Maybe I should have said to compete for the #2 spot in the east. Kirby smart is who he is. Saban D coordinator that can?t put a good offense on the field.

chef dixon
12-04-2020, 07:42 AM
The fact some people think USCe can have a chance to compete for the 2nd spot in their division is sad when you're a state fan and looking at Bama, LSU, Auburn, and TAMU

msstate7
12-04-2020, 08:01 AM
The fact some people think USCe can have a chance to compete for the 2nd spot in their division is sad when you're a state fan and looking at Bama, LSU, Auburn, and TAMU

One good thing about aTm, LSU, and auburn is they are known to have really down years. The problem is they have to all have a bad year the same season, and we have to be our best that season. We certainly have an uphill battle.

BrunswickDawg
12-04-2020, 08:38 AM

Beamer has 20 years in coaching now, 12 of it in the SEC. He has more experience, SEC experience, and more experience in big programs then Mullen had when we hired him. He also grew up in Frank Beamer's house.
Outside of HC experience (which is a legit thought), what else would you want him to have?

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2020, 08:44 AM
Beamer could very well win at SC, but, if they hire him without coordinating experience, it's a fireable offense for Ray Tanner.

Just hard to conceptualize how you could suck on offense under Muschamp & then go out & hire a head coach without any coordinating experience.

Again, he could win, but on paper it's a really shitty hire

msstate7
12-04-2020, 08:47 AM
South Carolina better go with an experienced HC this time. I'd be calling Chadwell, Napier, and freeze

ETA... freeze at SC would be fun to watch him and dabo see who can sell their man of God routine the best.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2020, 08:52 AM
South Carolina better go with an experienced HC this time. I'd be calling Chadwell, Napier, and freeze

ETA... freeze at SC would be fun to watch him and dabo see who can sell their man of God routine the best.

Agree. Going with Beamer should get Tanner fired. That's an absurd hire

basedog
12-04-2020, 08:53 AM

I'm just guessing but Dado seems real to me, maybe Freeze is real now days. Repent and asking for forgiveness is the answer.

PGHBulldogBG
12-04-2020, 09:09 AM
If South Carolina is smart they will hire Chadwell. Luckily I don?t think they are though and will probably hire someone random like Beamer

BrunswickDawg
12-04-2020, 09:27 AM
Beamer could very well win at SC, but, if they hire him without coordinating experience, it's a fireable offense for Ray Tanner.

Just hard to conceptualize how you could suck on offense under Muschamp & then go out & hire a head coach without any coordinating experience.

I not saying they should hire Beamer - I just don't think coordinator experience is the only route to determine if someone would make a good HC. It's a crap shoot no matter what. Boom had how many years of coordinator experience? And he's proven twice that he is shitty. SC's is as much or more of a coaching graveyard as MSU. Hell, Lou Holtz sucked there. It took Spurrier 6 seasons to build them into a team that could win more than 7 regular season games - and it burned him out.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2020, 09:32 AM
I not saying they should hire Beamer - I just don't think coordinator experience is the only route to determine if someone would make a good HC. It's a crap shoot no matter what. Boom had how many years of coordinator experience? And he's proven twice that he is shitty. SC's is as much or more of a coaching graveyard as MSU. Hell, Lou Holtz sucked there. It took Spurrier 6 seasons to build them into a team that could win more than 7 regular season games - and it burned him out.

I don't disagree, but, after Boom, they've got to go with a safer hire than Beamer.

bostondawg
12-04-2020, 10:03 AM
He was on my list of mentions after Joe was fired. He'll be in the Coach O/Sam Pittman mold. A CEO coach who relies on good coordinators.

I've come to think it's best for MSU to not go this route. Truth is we don't have the budget to hire two good coordinators. If we use a head coach as a de facto coordinator, we get one for free.

STATEBALLIN
12-04-2020, 10:20 AM
Beamer has 20 years in coaching now, 12 of it in the SEC. He has more experience, SEC experience, and more experience in big programs then Mullen had when we hired him. He also grew up in Frank Beamer's house.
Outside of HC experience (which is a legit thought), what else would you want him to have?

No play calling experience.

BrunswickDawg
12-04-2020, 10:41 AM
No play calling experience.

Isn't that what an OC/DC is for? Plenty of Coaches have the OC/DC calling plays.

STATEBALLIN
12-04-2020, 12:35 PM
Isn't that what an OC/DC is for? Plenty of Coaches have the OC/DC calling plays.

All I?m saying is I think it?s too risky. Ray Tanner can?t have this hire fail. Beamer no doubt is a great coach with lots of coaching experience. He could be a home run, if he is hired.

parabrave
12-04-2020, 12:38 PM

Carolina at most will get as high as 3 maybe 2. Sorry but they are the Mstate of the East.

RiverCityDawg
12-04-2020, 12:56 PM

Problem with that at a place like South Carolina (or State) is if you hit on a great OC or DC he'll get snatched up by the blue bloods or get a head gig somewhere, so you end up always shuffling the deck and disrupting continuity. Best case you get lucky and hit on another coordinator who is able to keep it going (and then leaves shortly thereafter, rinse repeat) and worst case is you get Peter Sirmon or his OC equivalent.

For continuity sake I think programs like SC or State need a head guy who will keep continuity on at least one side of the ball, preferably offense.

StarkVegasSteve
12-04-2020, 03:39 PM
Shane Beamer is a hell of a hire. He will win there. Guy can recruit his ass off. He recruited a lot of Mullen's first two teams. He was here from 04-06. And I can promise you this, he'll be able to a heck of a staff together. He has connections in every conference in college football.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2020, 04:26 PM
Shane Beamer is a hell of a hire. He will win there. Guy can recruit his ass off. He recruited a lot of Mullen's first two teams. He was here from 04-06. And I can promise you this, he'll be able to a heck of a staff together. He has connections in every conference in college football.

If he's so good, why has no one ever hired him as a coordinator?

Fader21
12-04-2020, 04:53 PM
I'm just guessing but Dado seems real to me, maybe Freeze is real now days. Repent and asking for forgiveness is the answer.

I think Freeze is a little more serious in his faith now. He has toned down the I'm a Christian every day on Twitter spills and he admits his flaws. I also listened to his testimony recently from a service he did at a local church in Arkansas. He just wasn't the same Freeze that he was at Mississippi.

msstate7
12-04-2020, 05:09 PM
I think Freeze is a little more serious in his faith now. He has toned down the I'm a Christian every day on Twitter spills and he admits his flaws. I also listened to his testimony recently from a service he did at a local church in Arkansas. He just wasn't the same Freeze that he was at Mississippi.

Humility is a good thing. Perhaps he's learned from mistakes. I have no ill will toward him now that he's gone from OM

AROB44
12-04-2020, 06:28 PM

I'm not buying......he's still a snake oil salesman.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
12-05-2020, 05:57 PM
South Carolina better go with an experienced HC this time.

This time? Because Muschamp, the HBC, and Lou Holtz were not experienced coaches?

Matt3467
12-05-2020, 06:14 PM
If South Carolina is smart they will hire Chadwell. Luckily I don?t think they are though and will probably hire someone random like Beamer

How's Neal Brown doing today?

msstate7
12-05-2020, 06:52 PM
This time? Because Muschamp, the HBC, and Lou Holtz were not experienced coaches?

Wasn't saying as opposed to last time or any time before then. I just meant as little risk as possible. But since you mentioned those 3, holtz and spurrier were hardly bad hires. Boom was sorta a shaky pick from the jump.

PGHBulldogBG
12-05-2020, 07:52 PM
How's Neal Brown doing today?

Bad game for sure, but Matt Campbell was actually my number 1 choice, it just wasn?t realistic with the buy out and our cheap AD. Even if it would?ve meant an SEC title in 2018. Brown and Clawson were next and choices I felt were more reasonable. Brown has still done more with less in the last two years and exceeded expectations both years. Something none of our coaches have done since Mullen

Todd4State
12-05-2020, 08:33 PM
Bad game for sure, but Matt Campbell was actually my number 1 choice, it just wasn?t realistic with the buy out and our cheap AD. Even if it would?ve meant an SEC title in 2018. Brown and Clawson were next and choices I felt were more reasonable. Brown has still done more with less in the last two years and exceeded expectations both years. Something none of our coaches have done since Mullen

Campbell is a good coach but he is a Northern guy like PJ Fleck. Clawson I think would have been average.

msu15
12-05-2020, 08:37 PM
This guy at Coastal Carolina would be my guy.

PGHBulldogBG
12-05-2020, 08:50 PM

No doubt he is a great coach. Been saying this all year. South Carolina is not smart if they don?t hire him. Chadwell is the best mid major and Coastal Carolina is actually a legit top 10 team.

runwildjerious
12-05-2020, 11:22 PM
Bruce Feldman tweeting out that South Carolina will hire Shane Beamer. I think he is a great hire for them.

Todd4State
12-05-2020, 11:24 PM

The problem with the Coastal Carolina guy (Chadwell) is he has a history of NCAA violations at other schools that he has coached at.

Todd4State
12-05-2020, 11:24 PM
Bruce Feldman tweeting out that South Carolina will hire Shane Beamer. I think he is a great hire for them.

Of course the biggest thing with that hire will be the coordinators that he brings in with him.

vv83
12-06-2020, 12:13 AM

Poor Billy

Captain Falcon
12-06-2020, 12:39 AM
Of course the biggest thing with that hire will be the coordinators that he brings in with him.

I am always iffy about a hire that is very dependent on the coordinators.

It can work out great for you (see LSU last year), but what happens when your ace coordinators leave? (see LSU this year)

I have a similar thought about Pittman at Arkansas. Briles and Odom have been VERY good for them this year, but what happens when they inevitably leave for greener pastures?

If you are only as good as your coordinators, are you actually that good?

Todd4State
12-06-2020, 12:39 AM
Poor Billy

Honestly I had forgotten about him. He took a risk and got burned- for now.

Fortunately for us we didn't hire him. The last thing we need right now is a coach looking to leave.

Todd4State
12-06-2020, 12:46 AM
I am always iffy about a hire that is very dependent on the coordinators.

It can work out great for you (see LSU last year), but what happens when your ace coordinators leave? (see LSU this year)

I have a similar thought about Pittman at Arkansas. Briles and Odom have been VERY good for them this year, but what happens when they inevitably leave for greener pastures?

If you are only as good as your coordinators, are you actually that good?

That is the weakness of this strategy. See LSU this year vs. last year. You better hit on OC/DC every time one leaves and they will leave at some point.

My take on it is a set-up where you have a CEO coach like that your in for a roller coaster ride because it's going to probably result in really high seasons where you may win 10+ games but then you may have a season where the bottom falls out because of a bad hire at the coordinator positions. The AD has to accept that going in when you hire a coach like a Pittman or a Beamer- or even a Coach O. None of those are elite X and O guys and they're more recruiters and maybe more important- managers of the overall program than anything.

Captain Falcon
12-06-2020, 01:16 AM
Don’t be shocked if Spurrier Jr. leaves us now. He and Beamer were both on the Ole Ball Coach’s staff together at SC. Definitely something to watch.

BrunswickDawg
12-06-2020, 07:49 AM
Honestly I had forgotten about him. He took a risk and got burned- for now.

Fortunately for us we didn't hire him. The last thing we need right now is a coach looking to leave.

Sounds like Napier is claiming he turned them down

https://twitter.com/ragincajunsfb/status/1335433930607108096?s=21

Cowbell
12-06-2020, 07:53 AM
I think this is very accurate.

MetEdDawg
12-06-2020, 07:55 AM
Sounds like Napier is claiming he turned them down

https://twitter.com/ragincajunsfb/status/1335433930607108096?s=21

ESPN report I ready said both Napier and Satterfield turned them down. SC also apparently interviewed the Coastal Carolina coach and Brian Johnson.

I'm a little shocked Napier turned them down. Only thing I can think is that he's potentially waiting for Texas or Auburn if they make a move.

DeltaChicagoDog
12-06-2020, 08:23 AM
ESPN report I ready said both Napier and Satterfield turned them down. SC also apparently interviewed the Coastal Carolina coach and Brian Johnson.

I'm a little shocked Napier turned them down. Only thing I can think is that he's potentially waiting for Texas or Auburn if they make a move.

Reads like he wants to keep his entire staff in tact, which would mean getting them raises, as well. Maybe learned a thing or two from Dabo. Reduces coaches attrition and builds trust and loyalty/stiff upper lip if there's ever any snooping around. That would raise his overall asking price considerably and it's possible SC balked.

Again that's pure speculation, but also reading his statement as a message. I don't recall Mullen or many other coaches ever putting out a public statement when they turned down or got turned down for a job.

FISHDAWG
12-06-2020, 09:45 AM
Don?t be shocked if Spurrier Jr. leaves us now. He and Beamer were both on the Ole Ball Coach?s staff together at SC. Definitely something to watch.

I hope we aren't in danger of losing Arnett

MarketingBully
12-06-2020, 02:54 PM

This would have been like us hiring Joe Judge.

MarketingBully
12-06-2020, 02:55 PM
Don’t be shocked if Spurrier Jr. leaves us now. He and Beamer were both on the Ole Ball Coach’s staff together at SC. Definitely something to watch.

This is a dumb hot take. They aren?t even close.

MarketingBully
12-06-2020, 03:29 PM

It?s a cautionary tale and has really only worked out once AND depends completely on the staff staying mostly intact which is why Clemson is the only true program where that has worked. I think both LSUs and Arkansas?s programs are both going to gloriously crash and burn which is going to lead to a lot of ADs getting fired. It?s not a sound strategy and was never a model you could follow consistently. Wait until Odom and Briles leave for greener pastures at Arkansas. Then you will have a program with no identity trying to find the next two best coordinators which you recruited to a certain other system. It?s not a model for success. When you make a shitty hire, you don?t follow it up with a risky as hell hire if you like your job. Cohen hired Leach which imo saved his job. If he had hired Joe Judge like he wanted to, he?d of been canned imo.

was21
12-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Hiring Leach may have saved his job.....for now. It may end up simply prolonging his firing.

MedDawg
12-06-2020, 03:38 PM
If he's so good, why has no one ever hired him as a coordinator?

He was State's recruiting coordinator under Croom.

Captain Falcon
12-06-2020, 03:49 PM
This is a dumb hot take. They aren?t even close.

Does it matter if they are close? Spurrier was at SC for 8 years and only left because he wasn't retained after his dad retired. He and Beamer were on the same staff there for 4-5 years. I'm not saying they are best buddies but it's definitely something to monitor.

MarketingBully
12-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Hiring Leach may have saved his job.....for now. It may end up simply prolonging his firing.

I think Leach will be here for at least a decade. Lemonis looks like the type of hire we needed in baseball. His next hire in men?s basketball doesn?t seem to really matter unless it?s Ray level bad. I think he?s at least set up for a decade here unless something really unforeseen happens. What else could get him fired? I do think if he had hired Judge after the Moorhead debacle he?d of been fired.

MarketingBully
12-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Does it matter if they are close? Spurrier was at SC for 8 years and only left because he wasn't retained after his dad retired. He and Beamer were on the same staff there for 4-5 years. I'm not saying they are best buddies but it's definitely something to monitor.

He?s very close to Leach though. That whole offensive staff is. Are you saying what you are saying with any inside info or just because you googled and saw Beamer was on Spurrier?s staff with Spurrier, Jr?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
12-06-2020, 04:34 PM
I think Leach will be here for at least a decade.

I hope you are right because that means Leach proved the nay sayers wrong and we have consistency in the program. I just don?t see Leach working until he is 70.

RougeDawg
12-11-2020, 09:49 AM

Napier did not turn them down. They did talk, but he did not turn something down he never received.

PGHBulldogBG
12-11-2020, 12:23 PM
South Carolina has a similar situation to State in regards to their AD. Both schools have former baseball coaches being the AD that are in over their head. Ray Tanner did make a good hire with Frank Martin, I would love to have him at State, but not much else to speak of. Their baseball program has gone downhill, this is the 2nd bad football hire he has made in a row. I don?t see him lasting unless Beamer works out.