PDA

View Full Version : Luke Altmyer decommitts from FSU.

msbulldog
11-30-2020, 01:26 PM
NM

ZedFedder
11-30-2020, 01:29 PM
He is about to be a Rebel. Honestly, smart move on his part.

FoggyBottom
11-30-2020, 02:22 PM
Seminoles don't think so. He was their highest ranked recruit.

Jack Lambert
11-30-2020, 02:45 PM
He is about to be a Rebel. Honestly, smart move on his part.

I suspect GA, Miami or Fl.

KOdawg1
11-30-2020, 02:53 PM
OM bound.

Matt3467
11-30-2020, 03:17 PM
It's a slap in the face of our program to lose a recruit that we want in Starkville especially to a rival. Does OM ever lose a recruiting battle for a recruit in Oxford against us? It's rare to see MSU flip a commit from OM but seems the norm for it to go the other way around.

msu15
11-30-2020, 03:19 PM
It's a slap in the face of our program to lose a recruit that we want in Starkville especially to a rival. Does OM ever lose a recruiting battle for a recruit in Oxford against us? It's rare to see MSU flip a commit from OM but seems the norm for it to go the other way around.

Ummm sorry to bust your bubble, but we didn't want him and we have a better QB prospect committed.

Jack Lambert
11-30-2020, 03:19 PM
OM bound.

I have a feeling if one of the big boys want him they will get him.

Matt3467
11-30-2020, 03:22 PM
Ummm sorry to bust your bubble, but we didn't want him and we have a better QB prospect committed.

I see we've extended an offer to him and why would we not want him at least for depth? We have our state poached by other schools all the time for depth of players that would be starting here. Btw thanks for the negative rep.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2020, 03:26 PM
I see we've extended an offer to him and why would we not want him at least for depth? We have our state poached by other schools all the time for depth of players that would be starting here. Btw thanks for the negative rep.

Because Sawyer Robertson is way more talented and you don't risk that commitment just because Altmeyer is from Starkville

We have to build a football team here. Not just hoard QB recruits

Matt3467
11-30-2020, 03:30 PM
Because Sawyer Robertson is way more talented and you don't risk that commitment just because Altmeyer is from Starkville

I see your point. I agree Sawyer is a real talent but are we the only school that can't land two 4 star QBs because we're afraid of losing both? Other schools do it all the time. Also my comment was beyond Altmyer. I was speaking of talent in general from our own town. The last one is tearing it up for the TN Titans.

Homedawg
11-30-2020, 03:31 PM
Seminoles don't think so. He was their highest ranked recruit.

They are wrong

Homedawg
11-30-2020, 03:32 PM
I suspect GA, Miami or Fl.

He's going to ole miss

Matt3467
11-30-2020, 03:34 PM

We have to build a football team here. Not just hoard QB recruits

We need depth at the position. What happens to KJ at the end of the year? Isn't Mayden transferring? Shrader's gone. I don't see a problem with recruiting the local kid who also happens to be a 4 star.

FISHDAWG
11-30-2020, 03:36 PM
I see your point. I agree Sawyer is a real talent but are we the only school that can't land two 4 star QBs because we're afraid of losing both? Other schools do it all the time. Also my comment was beyond Altmyer. I was speaking of talent in general from our own town. The last one is tearing it up for the TN Titans.

I'm possibly wrong on the star count but I think we just lost two 4-star QB's didn't we ? .....AJ was never coming here after opening up an IRA at the Library and we did end up getting some nice Starkville talent anyway

Matt3467
11-30-2020, 03:39 PM
I'm possibly wrong on the star count but I think we just lost two 4-star QB's didn't we ? .....AJ was never coming here after opening up an IRA at the Library and we did end up getting some nice Starkville talent anyway

And that's my point. Mayden was a Mullen QB and Shrader JoMo and neither fit Leach's system apparently so that's a lot of depth to lose coupled with who knows what KJ Costello will do at the end of the year.

Homedawg
11-30-2020, 03:39 PM
We need depth at the position. What happens to KJ at the end of the year? Isn't Mayden transferring? Shrader's gone. I don't see a problem with recruiting the local kid who also happens to be a 4 star.

He's not coming here no matter. It's all for the best.

klong-dog
11-30-2020, 04:02 PM
He's going to Ole miss. Heard this was in the works about 2 weeks ago.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2020, 04:14 PM

doesn't work that way at QB

msbulldog
11-30-2020, 04:33 PM

Luke know the score, he doesn't want to come in here and compete with Sawyer Robertson. Sawyer is #10 pro style QB, #145 ranked player in the country. Luke is #12 and #183. I suspect CML offered Sawyer while still at WSU. Very little risk in Sawyers commitment, he's sold on CML, no guarantees with Luke.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2020, 04:52 PM

What other schools have 2 4 star QB commits?

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2020, 04:52 PM
Luke know the score, he doesn't want to come in here and compete with Sawyer Robertson. Sawyer is #10 pro style QB, #145 ranked player in the country. Luke is #12 and #183. I suspect CML offered Sawyer while still at WSU. Very little risk in Sawyers commitment, he's sold on CML, no guarantees with Luke.

I'm shocked the two are ranked so close by 247. On film they aren't nearly this close. Robertson is a good bit better prospect.

The former Texas Tech player personnel director tweeted last week that Sawyer is the best QB in Texas

Cooterpoot
11-30-2020, 04:57 PM
I'm shocked the two are ranked so close by 247. On film they aren't nearly this close. Robertson is a good bit better prospect.

The former Texas Tech player personnel director tweeted last week that Sawyer is the best QB in Texas

Because he had an AL and FSU offer. He's nowhere as good as Robertson. I question his durability too. He's a redshirt that needs to get bigger and stronger. I watch a couple their games last two years and came away unimpressed. He did have some good camps though. He's a late take for OM. AL no longer has a spot for him. FSU is a train wreck. He would've been great for Memphis had Norvell stayed there.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2020, 05:02 PM
Because he had an AL and FSU offer. He's nowhere as good as Robertson. I question his durability too. He's a redshirt that needs to get bigger and stronger. I watch a couple their games last two years and came away unimpressed. He did have some good camps though. He's a late take for OM. AL no longer has a spot for him. FSU is a train wreck. He would've been great for Memphis had Norvell stayed there.

Agree. In reality, Altmeyer is about an 88 rated QB & Robertson should be a 94-95. Robertson is slightly under ranked & Altmeyer over ranked & thus they end up being near each other in the rankings, but when you watch either play, they aren't in the same class of player

Matt3467
11-30-2020, 05:54 PM
What other schools have 2 4 star QB commits?

USC has the #7 and 10th ranked QB committed this year but I'm not just speaking of this year. TX and Oregon last year. Ole Miss, Penn St, Bama and Arizona St signed two a piece in '19. Wash in '18. This is just the last few years so it's not uncommon to see a few teams sign two highly ranked QBs in the same class

msbulldog
11-30-2020, 06:02 PM
USC has the #7 and 10th ranked QB committed this year but I'm not just speaking of this year. TX and Oregon last year. Ole Miss, Penn St, Bama and Arizona St signed two a piece in '19. Wash in '18. This is just the last few years so it's not uncommon to see a few teams sign two highly ranked QBs in the same class

Tell the truth, Matt, you're Luke's Uncle!

Cooterpoot
11-30-2020, 06:32 PM
I doubt we ever sign another MS QB (by Leach) unless they run this system in HS like Rogers. Altmeyer and Keyes are two high profile guys and we passed. With big recruiting ties to Texas, we'll be pulling QBs and WRs from there.

BuckyIsAB****
11-30-2020, 09:20 PM

Uhhhh

Ari Gold
11-30-2020, 10:51 PM
Luke and Kinkead can battle for practice team reps over their career there...

SPMT
11-30-2020, 11:03 PM
There is another aspect that pain at the story crystal clear.

Matt3467
12-01-2020, 08:52 AM
Uhhhh

What was wrong about my comment?

FISHDAWG
12-01-2020, 08:55 AM

Will Rogers family is long time OM folks but he's playing for us perhaps

Matt3467
12-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Will Rogers family is long time OM folks but he's playing for us perhaps

I was referring to hometown recruiting Starkville vs Oxford. We've never as far as I can remember been able to pull a high ranked (4*+) player from Oxford.

FISHDAWG
12-01-2020, 01:17 PM
I was referring to hometown recruiting Starkville vs Oxford. We've never as far as I can remember been able to pull a high ranked (4*+) player from Oxford.

don't remember the star count but we pulled the Addison brothers from there ... or just North of Oxford and they were pretty good players

Todd4State
12-01-2020, 01:46 PM

We've gotten some from South Panola. Oddly enough.

Cooterpoot
12-01-2020, 03:01 PM
Hasn't been a lot of highly ranked players from Oxford. Not as many as Starkville over the years. But Starkville isnt just pumping out kids we need either. We didn't want Altmeyer, so we didn't lose anything there. Other than AJ, OM hasn't really killed it in Starkville.

Big4Dawg
12-01-2020, 05:08 PM
Tyler Williams is from Oxford and pretty sure OM wanted him

Ari Gold
12-01-2020, 05:15 PM
Hasn't been a lot of highly ranked players from Oxford. Not as many as Starkville over the years. But Starkville isnt just pumping out kids we need either. We didn't want Altmeyer, so we didn't lose anything there. Other than AJ, OM hasn't really killed it in Starkville.

Exactly.. I said this on another thread.. outside of Kobe, Willie, and AJ name the other SHS players the last 10-15 years that produced at the SEC level..
and if we wanted Luke we could prob get him..
Sawyer is head and shoulders Better and I would even also D Greek over him...
IMO he isn’t even the best QB in the state.. depending upon the system I would take Keys over Luke

Saltydog
12-01-2020, 05:20 PM
That's the standard line but personally I think that's b.s. It'll come back to bite our ass in a few years, wait and see.

Cooterpoot
12-01-2020, 05:32 PM
That's the standard line but personally I think that's b.s. It'll come back to bite our ass in a few years, wait and see.

Moorhead didn't even offer him. AL was taking to fill the depth chart. FSU wanted him because Norvell was recruiting him at Memphis. He's had some injury issues and isn't going to hurt you running either.
We had at least three QBs ahead of him.

BuckyIsAB****
12-01-2020, 05:55 PM

Nothing was just wrong with it, but State passed hard on altmeyer

BuckyIsAB****
12-01-2020, 05:56 PM
Exactly.. I said this on another thread.. outside of Kobe, Willie, and AJ name the other SHS players the last 10-15 years that produced at the SEC level..
IMO he isn’t even the best QB in the state.. depending upon the system I would take Keys over Luke

The best QB in the state this year plays at Magee HS

Todd4State
12-01-2020, 06:04 PM

I think MSU for whatever reason freaked out because Brown went to Ole Miss and so they've overcompensated.

Maroonthirteen
12-01-2020, 06:06 PM

s

How do you know that?

Dawgfan77
12-01-2020, 06:08 PM

You don't keep up with recruiting do you? See QB in Starkville and think we have to have him. First all due respect to Luke any other year he would just be a guy. Not a great frame average arm. Not as talented or as mobile as Rogers. Seen Rogers play since he was a 10th grader watched them head to head twice. Greek is better than Luke. Second. Sawyer is Elite so you don't pass up that. Third. Be in the look out for a transfer from out West.

Matt3467
12-01-2020, 06:16 PM
You don't keep up with recruiting do you? See QB in Starkville and think we have to have him. First all due respect to Luke any other year he would just be a guy. Not a great frame average arm. Not as talented or as mobile as Rogers. Seen Rogers play since he was a 10th grader watched them head to head twice. Greek is better than Luke. Second. Sawyer is Elite so you don't pass up that. Third. Be in the look out for a transfer from out West.

1. I don't watch film or in person but I always keep up with recruiting classes on paper. Maybe he won't be good but it always seems the general consensus here when we pass on someone or if someone passes on us that "he won't be any good anyway." We'll see.

2. I'm over transfers at the moment.

Dawgfan77
12-01-2020, 06:22 PM
1. I don't watch film or in person but I always keep up with recruiting classes on paper. Maybe he won't be good but it always seems the general consensus here when we pass on someone or if someone passes on us that "he won't be any good anyway." We'll see.

2. I'm over transfers at the moment.

Totally understand but you don't risk an ELITE talent at QB over an instate guy just cause he is the hometown guy. Luke's a great Kid. But he's not Elite in football terms

Matt3467
12-01-2020, 06:45 PM
IMO he isn?t even the best QB in the state.. depending upon the system I would take Keys over Luke

Outside of Kobe, Willie, AJ, and Altmyer there hasn't been any others as far as I know that were rated 4* or higher. The former 3 are and have been really good players at the SEC level and based on reading Altmyers scouting report aside from not possessing elite arm strength the scouts love everything else about him and rated him really high elsewhere. The last decade scouts haven't been too off on talent coming from SHS so why would we think they're off now? I get he may not be better than Sawyer but it may be a stretch to say you'd take Greek over him.

Matt3467
12-01-2020, 06:47 PM
Tyler Williams is from Oxford and pretty sure OM wanted him

Tyler Williams wasn't offered by OM per 247

Cooterpoot
12-01-2020, 07:11 PM
How do you know that?

Better competition, better stats, better ranking, better camp numbers, better athlete. You get the picture.

Todd4State
12-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Outside of Kobe, Willie, AJ, and Altmyer there hasn't been any others as far as I know that were rated 4* or higher. The former 3 are and have been really good players at the SEC level and based on reading Altmyers scouting report aside from not possessing elite arm strength the scouts love everything else about him and rated him really high elsewhere. The last decade scouts haven't been too off on talent coming from SHS so why would we think they're off now? I get he may not be better than Sawyer but it may be a stretch to say you'd take Greek over him.

To me, this looks more like a rub it in our face type of thing to be honest with you.

I'll also say this- if I was a recruit I would be pretty leery of Kiffin leaving ASAP. That's a pretty big risk if you are a guy like Altmyer. It's a risk everywhere- but moreso at Ole Miss. And then if Ole Miss lands Arch Manning he can forget about playing there at all.

Todd4State
12-01-2020, 09:16 PM

The thing about it is QB is different than other positions because there are more things to it than just arm strength, size, and mobility. Unless these "scouts" actually watch a QB- any QB- lead a team and see how the run the offense, lead the team, and etc. it's impossible to evaluate. That's how a guy like a Dak Prescott gets overlooked by these same scouts and how a Shea Patterson becomes a bust.

chef dixon
12-01-2020, 09:33 PM
I'd love to see Ole Miss invest in a bad QB. I feel like its been a while since they've had just a complete disaster.

FISHDAWG
12-02-2020, 02:56 PM
I'd love to see Ole Miss invest in a bad QB. I feel like its been a while since they've had just a complete disaster.

I can't remember his name but the really big fat guy from Oxford that played QB had to be flipped from USM .... I think his first name might have been Jeremy. The guy looked like a Nose Tackle and they thought he was going to be the guy that really squeezed the juice for them ..... they ended up only putting him in for QB sneaks at the goal line

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2020, 03:44 PM

Shea Patterson was a bit of a disaster, but they've certainly hit jackpot on risky bets.

For the most part, their program has been kept afloat on odd successes:

1. Bo Wallace - Backup offers from MSU & Texas but turns into a legit QB?
2. Chad Kelly - A ticking time bomb that can't stay out of trouble in the NFL but never had an issue at OM
3. Ta'amu - No offers but turns into a boarderline all SEC QB
4. Corral - Ticking time bomb that to date hasn't had any issues.

They keep playing Russian Roulette with their QB room but they never get the bullet. It really is the luckiest situation potentially in college football.

Maroonthirteen
12-02-2020, 04:49 PM
Better competition, better stats, better ranking, better camp numbers, better athlete. You get the picture.

So pure conjecture.

Btw, I don't know how either guy turns out. However I'd put MS 6A up against west Texas 5a.

Ari Gold
12-02-2020, 05:10 PM
So pure conjecture.

Btw, I don't know how either guy turns out. However I'd put MS 6A up against west Texas 5a.

I wouldn’t

confucius say
12-02-2020, 05:11 PM
Film on both is on the internet. Everybody on here is an expert. Should be easy to see Sawyer is way better than Luke.

Seriously, go look at Sawyer's jr hudl highlights. You'll like his willingness to run too. And to go Shrader helicopter style over the top when running for a first down.

Ari Gold
12-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Film on both is on the internet. Everybody on here is an expert. Should be easy to see Sawyer is way better than Luke.

Seriously, go look at Sawyer's jr hudl highlights. You'll like his willingness to run too. And to go Shrader helicopter style over the top when running for a first down.

Like spilt time at QB as a junior.. Spilt time

The fact this kid even has a thread that has reached 3 pages is silly enough.. where was the outrange and concern when he was committed To FSU..?? which 99% of people knew wouldn’t hold up..

The least of my worries is Luke going to OM.. I have no problem if his dad goes with him to be honest..

confucius say
12-02-2020, 05:21 PM
Agreed. My bigger concern is making sure Robertson signs. I wish he could come in January, but I know he wants to play baseball in the spring

lastmajordog
12-02-2020, 08:46 PM
To me, this looks more like a rub it in our face type of thing to be honest with you.

I'll also say this- if I was a recruit I would be pretty leery of Kiffin leaving ASAP. That's a pretty big risk if you are a guy like Altmyer. It's a risk everywhere- but moreso at Ole Miss. And then if Ole Miss lands Arch Manning he can forget about playing there at all.

Is there even any question they won’t land him??

Tripp McNeely
12-02-2020, 09:06 PM

I don?t think he has any P5 options left besides the bears and FSU

Homedawg
12-02-2020, 09:51 PM
Like spilt time at QB as a junior.. Spilt time

The fact this kid even has a thread that has reached 3 pages is silly enough.. where was the outrange and concern when he was committed To FSU..?? which 99% of people knew wouldn?t hold up..

The least of my worries is Luke going to OM.. I have no problem if his dad goes with him to be honest..

No he didn't. Totally false. I'm not on the side he's better than sawyer not even close. But Luke didn't split time last year. He got benched the Wp game in the second half after having a bad game. He started every game and played 90% of the snaps at least. That's not splitting. Not close. Fact is, if he had gone here it would have never worked, short of winnings heisman Bc of his dad. It would have been a major problem. All is well and I like Luke as a player. But not sure he'll ever start and maybe I'm wrong but it's far from certai.

Todd4State
12-02-2020, 09:52 PM

LSU has a good chance to land him and they are probably the favorite right now.

Tripp McNeely
12-02-2020, 10:01 PM
LSU has a good chance to land him and they are probably the favorite right now.

First I?ve heard of that! Where are you seeing that? That would be hilarious!

Homedawg
12-02-2020, 10:02 PM

No. He's going there has been for weeks. Once FSU was a dumpster fire

Maroonthirteen
12-02-2020, 10:24 PM
No he didn't. Totally false. I'm not on the side he's better than sawyer not even close. But Luke didn't split time last year. He got benched the Wp game in the second half after having a bad game. He started every game and played 90% of the snaps at least. That's not splitting. Not close. Fact is, if he had gone here it would have never worked, short of winnings heisman Bc of his dad. It would have been a major problem. All is well and I like Luke as a player. But not sure he'll ever start and maybe I'm wrong but it's far from certai.

Now that's interesting information. Certainly answers my Q better "stats on 247" homer take. Anyways... interesting.

Todd4State
12-02-2020, 10:29 PM
First I?ve heard of that! Where are you seeing that? That would be hilarious!

Let's just say Ole Miss is going to have to recruit him.

Homedawg
12-02-2020, 10:47 PM

He's going to ole miss

Ari Gold
12-02-2020, 11:21 PM

He split time the Louisville game.. I don’t know about others .. but there is 2 ..
My point being if you are a big time P5 prospect you aren’t even in that situation to where you aren’t taking 100% of the snaps unless in blowout games..

Luke may win the Heisman at OM, but my guess is he isn’t there 4 years...

Todd4State
12-03-2020, 02:15 AM
He's going to ole miss

There or LSU. Either way he's not a slam dunk for Ole Miss and they're going to have to recruit them.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-03-2020, 03:06 AM
What are the estimates that Robertson makes it to Starkville with Texas deciding they want him now after losing two QB commits?

msbulldog
12-03-2020, 07:02 AM
I can't remember his name but the really big fat guy from Oxford that played QB had to be flipped from USM .... I think his first name might have been Jeremy. The guy looked like a Nose Tackle and they thought he was going to be the guy that really squeezed the juice for them ..... they ended up only putting him in for QB sneaks at the goal line

Jeremy Liggins, made a big deal of his signing, doing it on the square and chose LSU instead of UM, LOL! Lasted a year at LSU and came back to UM and never did anything.

StateDawg44
12-03-2020, 09:30 AM
What are the estimates that Robertson makes it to Starkville with Texas deciding they want him now after losing two QB commits?

IMO. The only reason we are in the game is because of Leach. He isn't committed to MSU because we are MSU.

You'd think with the uncertainty surrounding Tom Herman (whether it's this year or next year) that would have to weigh into the decision if you are going to make a swap. The fans aren't necessarily pleased with him at the moment.

But I'm sure a HS kid in TX, playing for UT could be a dream.

I just don't see it but I know nothing about recruiting.

Homedawg
12-03-2020, 06:13 PM

Luke is announcing tomorrow. They didn't have to work too hard. It's been done for weeks.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2020, 07:06 PM

100%

Todd4State
12-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Luke is announcing tomorrow. They didn't have to work too hard. It's been done for weeks.

Was talking about Arch Manning.

Homedawg
12-03-2020, 10:04 PM
Was talking about Arch Manning.

My apologies. That would be good.

notsofarawaydawg
12-04-2020, 10:03 AM
His dad has always shopped his kids around to different schools in the Golden Triangle area. Not surprising at all.

CaptainObvious
12-04-2020, 07:14 PM

Texas said NO to Baseball. Mississippi State said yes to baseball and football. Allowing him to play baseball sewed him up for State.

His 3 choices were USC-LA, Texas and Mississippi State. His friend on the Coronado Baseball team is Ben Tadlock, the TTU HC son.

Lemonis sealed the deal.