PDA

View Full Version : Quick Thoughts: This Program Is 100% On The Rise

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 07:52 PM
I've never been so un-disappointed following an Egg Bowl loss.

We are much younger, had 47 scholarship players, & were on the road. We came up short, but if you can't see the fight, culture, young play makers emerging on offense, & how close we are to really clicking with this system then you're willfully blind.

Ole Miss didn't win the game tonight. We just ran out of time & gave them 7 points when we fumbled while reaching for the endzone.

- Matt Corral is an absolute DUDE. He's the offense. Moore is good, but Corral is the straw that stirs the drink. Give Ole Miss a normal QB they aren't very good. He extends plays with his feet, can run, is accurate, & has bazooka that really extends the field. He's 100% a 1st round QB & I don't see the bad decision making

- I think Leach is a far far better head coach than Kiffin. The systems are about equal but the toughness, fight, & ability to establish culture that Leach has done is elite IMO.

- Kiffin goes for it to often on 4th down. He uses analytics ignorantly. Analytics are tool, but feel & the flow of the game must be taken into account. If Kiffin doesn't take that into account, once OM has "normal" QB play, they're going to lose to teams they shouldn't lose to. Kiffin coaches like the underdog when he has the better personnel. That's not good.

- Give MSU Peters, Pickering, Morgan, & Murphy tonight & we beat them pretty good. Give Leach Ole Miss' skill talent & it's a blow out. Tough shit for OM is that OM skill talent is on the way

- Love what I'm seeing out of Will Rogers & the difference is he's gaining confidence in his WRs. He knows he stretch the field with Walley, Heath, Spivey, etc & they'll fight for the ball. The more confidence Rogers get in stretching the field, the better & better this offense will get. Rogers might need to do some long toss or something in the off season to get a little more zip on his passes. A Driveline, weighted ball program might be in the cards for him. Needs to work with Foxhall

- Arnett's 2nd half adjustments were outstanding but just a little late. Make those adjustments vs UGA or in the 1st half & we may have 2 wins.

- I know we all get upset with the OL, but I thought they played well. Only 2 sacks & Rogers generally had all day to throw.

- Our RBs vision & acceleration up field has to get better.

- I think we're an 8 win team in 2021 & begin to start challenging for 9-10 in 2022. Next year we've got Vandy & KY at home from East, 4 winnable non-cons, Arkansas may be in a QB rebuild, & we've got OM at home, where I think we'll be significantly better than due to having a full defense & our young play makers being a year older while they lose Moore & a few others. If Corral goes pro, it could be ugly.

- Leach's time management sucked. Andy Reid like there.

I know this loss always hurts, but I challenge all MSU to see the big picture. Don't focus on the hand in front of your face, but rather on where things are headed. See the fight, the open WRs, the toughness, the young players, the steadiness of Leach, etc. See the confidence our players are beginning to play with.

It hurts I get it... but one year ago at this time MSU football was broken. Our culture was broken, our only offense was the QB scrambling, & our defense had top round draft picks sitting out to preserve their draft status. In just one year, MSU football has been fixed. Sure we need to fill up the gas tank, change the oil, & upgrade the motor a little, but the mechanics of the program have been fixed.

We are slowly but surely growing into a young dynamic team that is about a year away from kicking ass & taking names.

Keep your head up. Winning is on the horizon

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 08:04 PM
I know well coached teams when I see them & we are a really really well coached team.

Ole Miss might want to enjoy this one because it maybe the only one they get for a while

hp22
11-28-2020, 08:04 PM
I'm proud of everyone of them on our sideline for their effort these last two weeks.

I'm glad we have another game or two to go. Keep making progress. The effort and improvement is obvious. I'm very upbeat about our future.

Buy in time

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 08:05 PM
I'm proud of everyone of them on our sideline for their effort these last two weeks.

I'm glad we have another game or two to go. Keep making progress.

Yeah, we just need to keep paying. Hell maybe our walkons we have in the secondary will even improve.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
11-28-2020, 08:07 PM
I've never been so un-disappointed following an Egg Bowl loss.

We are much younger, had 47 scholarship players, & were on the road. We came up short, but if you can't see the fight, culture, young play makers emerging on offense, & how close we are to really clicking with this system then you're willfully blind.

Ole Miss didn't win the game tonight. We just ran out of time & gave them 7 points when we fumbled while reaching for the endzone.

- Matt Corral is an absolute DUDE. He's the offense. Moore is good, but Corral is the straw that stirs the drink. Give Ole Miss a normal QB they aren't very good. He extends plays with his feet, can run, is accurate, & has bazooka that really extends the field. He's 100% a 1st round QB & I don't see the bad decision making

- I think Leach is a far far better head coach than Kiffin. The systems are about equal but the toughness, fight, & ability to establish culture that Leach has done is elite IMO.

- Kiffin goes for it to often on 4th down. He uses analytics ignorantly. Analytics are tool, but feel & the flow of the game must be taken into account. If Kiffin doesn't take that into account, once OM has "normal" QB play, they're going to lose to teams they shouldn't lose to. Kiffin coaches like the underdog when he has the better personnel. That's not good.

- Give MSU Peters, Pickering, Morgan, & Murphy tonight & we beat them pretty good. Give Leach Ole Miss' skill talent & it's a blow out. Tough shit for OM is that OM skill talent is on the way

- Love what I'm seeing out of Will Rogers & the difference is he's gaining confidence in his WRs. He knows he stretch the field with Walley, Heath, Spivey, etc & they'll fight for the ball. The more confidence Rogers get in stretching the field, the better & better this offense will get. Rogers might need to do some long toss or something in the off season to get a little more zip on his passes. A Driveline, weighted ball program might be in the cards for him. Needs to work with Foxhall

- Arnett's 2nd half adjustments were outstanding but just a little late. Make those adjustments vs UGA or in the 1st half & we may have 2 wins.

- I know we all get upset with the OL, but I thought they played well. Only 2 sacks & Rogers generally had all day to throw.

- Our RBs vision & acceleration up field has to get better.

- I think we're an 8 win team in 2021 & begin to start challenging for 9-10 in 2022. Next year we've got Vandy & KY at home from East, 4 winnable non-cons, Arkansas may be in a QB rebuild, & we've got OM at home, where I think we'll be significantly better than due to having a full defense & our young play makers being a year older while they lose Moore & a few others. If Corral goes pro, it could be ugly.

- Leach's time management sucked. Andy Reid like there.

I know this loss always hurts, but I challenge all MSU to see the big picture. Don't focus on the hand in front of your face, but rather on where things are headed. See the fight, the open WRs, the toughness, the young players, the steadiness of Leach, etc. See the confidence our players are beginning to play with.

It hurts I get it... but one year ago at this time MSU football was broken. Our culture was broken, our only offense was the QB scrambling, & our defense had top round draft picks sitting out to preserve their draft status. In just one year, MSU football has been fixed. Sure we need to fill up the gas tank, change the oil, & upgrade the motor a little, but the mechanics of the program have been fixed.

We are slowly but surely growing into a young dynamic team that is about a year away from kicking ass & taking names.

Keep your head up. Winning is on the horizon

I just hope both teams had fun

hp22
11-28-2020, 08:08 PM
We had 47 scholarship players and got down 14-0 and didn't quit. Have walk ons guarding SEC receivers. Got freshmen all over the field making plays. I am pumped for 21. I cant wait to see Rogers develop. He is a cool cat in the pocket.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 08:09 PM
We had 47 scholarship players and got down 14-0 and didn't quit. Have walk ons guarding SEC receivers. Got freshmen all over the field making plays. I am pumped for 21. I cant wait to see Rodgers develop. He is a cool cat in the pocket.

I think Ole Miss fans even know what's up

Commercecomet24
11-28-2020, 08:14 PM
We had 47 scholarship players and got down 14-0 and didn't quit. Have walk ons guarding SEC receivers. Got freshmen all over the field making plays. I am pumped for 21. I cant wait to see Rogers develop. He is a cool cat in the pocket.

Well said.

Coach34
11-28-2020, 08:16 PM
Anybody happy about today is drinking kool-aid with Jim Jones and really believes Biden got 80MM votes.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 08:17 PM
Anybody happy about today is drining kool-aid with Jim Jones and really believes Biden got 80MM votes.

Man, I disagree big time. I'm not happy, but this thing is really going in the right direction.

I couldn't disagree more with you about where this thing is headed. Complete nonsense

Quaoarsking
11-28-2020, 08:20 PM
Anybody happy about today is drinking kool-aid with Jim Jones and really believes Biden got 80MM votes.

Cry puѕѕy.

Coach34
11-28-2020, 08:22 PM
Man, I disagree big time. I'm not happy, but this thing is really going in the right direction.

I couldn't disagree more with you about where this thing is headed. Complete nonsense

the discipline is great. We play hard. But the offense is shit and you cant play D all the time. We dont have difference makers coming into the program for next year. Will be more of the same shit.

A&M is still pretty young but will have a new QB- they will be good still
LSU was crazy young
Bama is Bama
UPig is getting better
OM is getting better
Auburn was young in the trenches and will be alot better next year

Our future isnt bright no matter how much kool-aid you drink

MafiaDawg
11-28-2020, 08:24 PM
bitter is not a good quality.

hp22
11-28-2020, 08:26 PM

No one of happy. Losing the egg Bowl sucks.

The progress is obvious though. Donald losing is also obvious.

defiantdog
11-28-2020, 08:27 PM
the discipline is great. We play hard. But the offense is shit and you cant play D all the time. We dont have difference makers coming into the program for next year. Will be more of the same shit.

LSU was crazy young
Bama is Bama
UPig is getting better
OM is getting better

LSU was crazy young but we aren't? And you're right..... the 2 4* receivers coming in next class means nothing. If we lost like we did but ran the ball more..... you'd change your tune.

Liverpooldawg
11-28-2020, 08:28 PM
Ole Miss is almost the only program in the country that would allow Matt Corral to represent them. He epitomizes everything Ole Miss is and stands for. He was originally committed to my other team, Southern Cal. Go google the story. He IS Ole Miss.

Turfdawg67
11-28-2020, 08:29 PM

Hey genius, tell us again how bad our D will be.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2020, 08:30 PM
LSU was crazy young but we aren't? And you're right..... the 2 4* receivers coming in next class means nothing. If we lost like we did but ran the ball more..... you'd change your tune.

We're not allowed to get better only those other teams mentioned are allowed to improve*****

BayouDawg
11-28-2020, 08:30 PM

I disagree. You cant argue that our football culture was a shitshow. Whether the air raid works or not our culture is fixed.

Coach34
11-28-2020, 08:32 PM
We're not allowed to get better only those other teams mentioned are allowed to improve*****

Where are we going to get better is my question?

msstate7
11-28-2020, 08:32 PM
Ole Miss is almost the only program in the country that would allow Matt Corral to represent them. He epitomizes everything Ole Miss is and stands for. He was originally committed to my other team, Southern Cal. Go google the story. He IS Ole Miss.

We signed a kid that beat up a girl on video. Did our kid deserve another chance?

PGHBulldogBG
11-28-2020, 08:33 PM
I actually don?t picture Corral being Ole Miss. I picture some pretty boy preppy white kid as the stereotype Ole Miss. He seems to be a bit more diverse than what I would picture at Ole Miss

Commercecomet24
11-28-2020, 08:33 PM

Yep I have a bunch of good Samoan friends involved with Long Beach poly program. Matt corral is a psycho and walking time bomb. At some point he's gonna be an issue. Om better hope he gets to the league before it happens.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 08:39 PM

LSU was crazy young
Bama is Bama
UPig is getting better
OM is getting better

Agree to disagree.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 08:40 PM

He's really talented though.

DEDawg
11-28-2020, 08:41 PM

I?m somewhere between you and Gun on leach but come on man this is disingenuous. We played with 45 scholarships, true freshmen everywhere including the most important position on the field, and on top of all that we didn?t have spring ball in the weirdest year for college sports in history. We?re going to get better literally everywhere due to injuries, depth, and experience.

ShotgunDawg
I disagree. You cant argue that our football culture was a shitshow. Whether the air raid works or not our culture is fixed.

yes. Leach fixed MSU football. We just have to keep building.

Liverpooldawg
We signed a kid that beat up a girl on video. Did our kid deserve another chance?

You obviously don't know the story. Corral is a bit beyond "another chance."

TNDawg35
Has no one noticed 34 was nowhere to be seen last wk when we took UGA to the wire? The 17er only shows when he can “make” it look like he is right about something.

Todd4State
11-28-2020, 08:42 PM

Wait- you really don't think we'll get better anywhere? Is that what you're saying?

We're almost all freshmen and sophomores right now- not to mention the COVID casualties like Wheat.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 08:42 PM
I?m somewhere between you and Gun on leach but come on man this is disingenuous. We played with 45 scholarships, true freshmen everywhere including the most important position on the field, and on top of all that we didn?t have spring ball in the weirdest year for college sports in history. We?re going to get better literally everywhere due to injuries, depth, and experience.

It's clear to anyone without an agenda

Liverpooldawg
11-28-2020, 08:43 PM
He's really talented though.

Obviously, he was a USC committed QB with a legit offer at one point. USC doesn't offer non-talented QBs. His story is just nuts. As I said, only Ole Miss.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2020, 08:44 PM

This. He's had multiple chances. He was radioactive to every program but om.

msstate7
Beat up Gretzky's kid and substance, I think. The kid is a douche, but I like kids getting 2nd, 3rd, 6th chances if possible.

Liverpooldawg
Yep I have a bunch of good Samoan friends involved with Long Beach poly program. Matt corral is a psycho and walking time bomb. At some point he's gonna be an issue. Om better hope he gets to the league before it happens.

Exactly.

Liverpooldawg
11-28-2020, 08:46 PM
Beat up Gretzky's kid and substance, I think. The kid is a douche, but I like kids getting 2nd, 3rd, 6th chances if possible.

Would you sign him if he showed up stoned on his official visit, on top of everything else? That's always been the rumor why SC cut him loose.

chef dixon
11-28-2020, 08:46 PM

This is hilarious. Everyone else is young and getting better but not us, who literally play freshman all over the field. Is Walley not a difference maker to you? He's the best freshman wideout we've probably ever had. Same could be said for Rogers.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 08:48 PM
This is hilarious. Everyone else is young and getting better but not us, who literally play freshman all over the field. Is Walley not a difference maker to you? He's the best freshman wideout we've probably ever had. Same could be said for Rogers.

We more FR than anyone in the country BTW

msstate7
11-28-2020, 08:58 PM
Would you sign him if he showed up stoned on his official visit, on top of everything else? That's always been the rumor why SC cut him loose.

Probably not.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2020, 09:02 PM

I don't mind anyone getting extra chances, I'm all about redemption BUT there has to be a reckoning first and there has to be consequences for your actions. The kid has been allowed to skate on a LOT of stuff and when you're allowed to continue to flaunt laws and rules you think you can do it forever. Eventually the piper has to be paid. The hope is you discipline young people early and they learn about consequences for their actions so they don't make the same mistakes repeatedly or worse commit ever worsening transgressions.

Tripp McNeely
11-28-2020, 09:06 PM

Ummm...last week!

Tripp McNeely
11-28-2020, 09:07 PM
It's clear to anyone without an agenda

Has he gone from the most loved to the most hated poster on this board?

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 09:08 PM
Has he gone from the most loved to the most hated poster on this board?

I don't hate him. I think he's very knowledgeable & a good source. That being said, I heavily disagree with him here, which is fine.

Homedawg
11-28-2020, 09:13 PM
I haven't read a single post in this thread including the first one. But the title says it all. We competed and played hard. But we were bad in both sides of the ball. I don't care to read any excuses. Old miss is terrible on defense and we scored 24. If kidder wasn't an ego maniac and had kicked they would have scored 40+ and out up almost 600 last time I checked. Don't see this as some escalation of improvement. Sorry

Coach34
11-28-2020, 09:16 PM
Old miss is terrible on defense and we scored 24. If kidder wasn't an ego maniac and had kicked they would have scored 40+ and out up almost 600 last time I checked. Don't see this as some escalation of improvement. Sorry

Fans are just overlooking that so they can feel better

Quaoarsking
11-28-2020, 09:19 PM
I haven't read a single post in this thread including the first one. But the title says it all. We competed and played hard. But we were bad in both sides of the ball. I don't care to read any excuses. Old miss is terrible on defense and we scored 24. If kidder wasn't an ego maniac and had kicked they would have scored 40+ and out up almost 600 last time I checked. Don't see this as some escalation of improvement. Sorry

The what ifs go both ways. What if Kiffin had taken the field goals? What if we hadn't fumbled on the 1-inch line? What if WRs on either team made a few more plays?

You can't cherrypick a few what ifs just to make our own team sound worse.

Maroonthirteen
11-28-2020, 09:20 PM

Exactly.

Cowbell
11-28-2020, 09:21 PM

I have to agree with you on some of this Our ceiling will only be as high as Leaches willingness to adapt. Our offensive play calling is putrid at times.

Homedawg
11-28-2020, 09:34 PM
The what ifs go both ways. What if Kiffin had taken the field goals? What if we hadn't fumbled on the 1-inch line? What if WRs on either team made a few more plays?

You can't cherrypick a few what ifs just to make our own team sound worse.

What isn't an if is we gave up nearly 600 yards of offense, scored 24 points against a shitty defense and punted 6 times. So harp on my ifs and I'll harp what's facts then. Not an opinion of anyone that they saw great improvement.

Quaoarsking
11-28-2020, 09:40 PM
What isn't an if is we gave up nearly 600 yards of offense, scored 24 points against a shitty defense and punted 6 times. So harp on my ifs and I'll harp what's facts then. Not an opinion of anyone that they saw great improvement.

I realize this was probably an intentional argument strategy on your part so you can comeback with "Oooh, I guess you think 550 is OK, huh!?!" ... and no, it's still not "OK" but it's a bit of an exaggeration to call 550 yards "nearly 600"

Bdawg
11-28-2020, 10:19 PM

So losing everyone we lost on defense up to this point in the season didn't make a difference in the score today. Oookay! Gotcha.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2020, 10:23 PM
So losing everyone we lost on defense up to this point in the season didn't make a difference in the score today. Oookay! Gotcha.

You can't change people's politics, sexual preference, food likes & dislikes, or what they see on a football field. We're getting better quickly, but you can't make peopl that want to see something else, see that.

Bdawg
11-28-2020, 10:39 PM
You can't change people's politics, sexual preference, food likes & dislikes, or what they see on a football field. We're getting better quickly, but you can't make peopl that want to see something else, see that.

To me, this year means jack crap with everything that has gone on. Leach has changed the culture and that was job #1. We will see in the next couple years if he can bring in the playmakers he needs to be successful. His track record gives me some hope.

PGHBulldogBG
11-28-2020, 10:47 PM
I have to admit there has been some improvement the last two games which is a good sign. We can go 7-5 next year is we can continue to build and improve offensively

msstate7
11-28-2020, 10:51 PM
I have to admit there has been some improvement the last two games which is a good sign. We can go 7-5 next year is we can continue to build and improve offensively

This is a realistic goal rather than shotgun saying we gonna blast blue bloods

pilldawg
11-28-2020, 10:55 PM
The running backs are true freshmen and the OL will get better or more into what Mike Leach wants. We can?t run the ball even to Leach?s standard at this point and that will improve which will make the whole offense better.

Lord McBuckethead
11-28-2020, 10:57 PM

and anyone that thinks biden didn't get 80 million votes, is an idiot. full stop.

Lord McBuckethead
11-28-2020, 11:00 PM

he clearly said he didn't read anything, so critical thinking about the players missing on the field has no bearing in this or any other discussion. Why should reality and facts matter. This dude believes what he believes, outside of any factors not present inside his mind.

Good game dawgs. Keep grinding.

hp22
11-28-2020, 11:04 PM
and anyone that thinks biden didn't get 80 million votes, is an idiot. full stop.

It's a bit ironic he accuses some of being Jim Jones kool aid drinkers and then follows it up with election conspiracy drivel.

Insanity...

No one is happy we lost the egg Bowl. No one is happy about the 2020 football season. But seeing the number of freshmen we have making plays and the progress we've made these last two weeks offers a window for optimism. That simple.

I hope we play our final two games. We need to play well. Continue to grind and build.

LC Dawg
11-28-2020, 11:44 PM
I'm not convinced Leach is going to be successful at State but I feel better about our football program after tonight's Egg Bowl loss than I did after last year's Egg Bowl win. The man has proven that he can get players to buy in and play hard. A win or two to end the season would be great to build in for next year.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2020, 12:12 AM
Probably not.

The beating was one of two. He got kicked out of TWO high schools. Simmons' deal was literally his only blemish. It actually was a "second chance." Corral is on his 4th or 5th. Mullen's first act at Florida was to withdraw his offer. Ole Miss is pretty much literally the only place that would allow a guy like him to play for them.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-29-2020, 04:28 AM
The SEC will be a lot better next year... we won?t, and will be trying to compete with 65 scholarship players while everyone else has 85... it will be us and Vandy at the bottom looking up...MSU Football is wrecked.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2020, 08:39 AM
The SEC will be a lot better next year... we won?t, and will be trying to compete with 65 scholarship players while everyone else has 85... it will be us and Vandy at the bottom looking up...MSU Football is wrecked.

Arkansas
KY
Vandy
A&M
OM

This teams won't be better. All are losing their QB or top playmakers

Dawgface
11-29-2020, 08:53 AM
Has no one noticed 34 was nowhere to be seen last wk when we took UGA to the wire? The 17er only shows when he can “make” it look like he is right about something.

Ha ha. I noticed that too. But not surprising.

msstate7
11-29-2020, 08:57 AM
Arkansas
KY
Vandy
A&M
OM

This teams won't be better. All are losing their QB or top playmakers

Yet to be determined. I expect you will see players move around more than ever before. Wouldn't be so sure Arkansas loses Franks

Coach34
11-29-2020, 12:15 PM
Yet to be determined. I expect you will see players move around more than ever before. Wouldn't be so sure Arkansas loses Franks

People seem to forget its a free year for the players and some will return that normally move on

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2020, 12:31 PM
People seem to forget its a free year for the players and some will return that normally move on

We gotta see how all that plays out. We could add the K-State safety, which will help a ton

Bdawg
11-29-2020, 06:24 PM

I agree we are not in a good spot. But we weren't going to win much with a team full of quitters and people that can't follow the rules. At least we have cut the fat and know who we can go to war with(trust). Looks like a typical Leach rebuild. First two years may be tough, although I believe we see some improvement after a crazy Covid year. In the 3rd, he better be showing me he can for sure make it work.

Todd4State
11-29-2020, 06:29 PM
We gotta see how all that plays out. We could add the K-State safety, which will help a ton

Yes. Early returns seem to be that most players will move on in general.

I think most of the guys that stay will be marginal NFL prospects although sometimes those are good college players and can help a college team.

Dannyripms
11-30-2020, 02:48 AM
You mean the cheating on election day is obvious. I agree with everything else.

WPS
11-30-2020, 01:45 PM

I think Franks is pretty much gone, he may have played himself into a late round draft pick. 4th in the SEC in most categories. Just seems like he's done with college regardless.

Arkansas does have a lot returning other than him but wouldn't surprise me if they go after another grad transfer QB if the coaches aren't sold on KJ Jefferson/Malik Hornsby yet.

westmonroedawg1974
09-21-2021, 01:52 PM
I know well coached teams when I see them & we are a really really well coached team.

Ole Miss might want to enjoy this one because it maybe the only one they get for a while

Agree, fantastic analysis

CadaverDawg
09-21-2021, 01:54 PM
Agree, fantastic analysis

Your point is made. Stop bumping a shit ton of old threads.