PDA

View Full Version : So MSU Can Play @ UGA Tomorrow with 54 Players But CFB Needs 85 Man Rosters?

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I'm calling BS on that.

So, it's ok for MSU to play at UGA with 54 but we need 31 more while hurting the sport?

Completely ridiculous

And what's even odder is that not a single media member will touch this topic

and BTW, I will fight this until I die or the rule changes. It's possibly the absolute worst rule in all of sports. Not kidding. Followed closely by the touchback on a fumble in the endzone, ejection for targeting, & penalty kicks in soccer when someone flops in the box.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BackBrightKakapo-size_restricted.gif

Dawgology
11-20-2020, 09:16 AM
Yep. I’ve been saying for years that scholarship limits on football need to be cut by 10-20. Give some of those to baseball and the women’s sports. There would be far more parity in college football if they did this.

StarkVegasSteve
11-20-2020, 09:17 AM
Unless something changed overnight we have 55 for tomorrow. Powers Warren doesn't count against the numbers. He's been injured since Week 3

Johnson85
11-20-2020, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I'm calling BS on that.

So, it's ok for MSU to play at UGA with 54 but we need 31 more while hurting the sport?

Completely ridiculous

And what's even odder is that not a single media member will touch this topic

and BTW, I will fight this until I die or the rule changes. It's possibly the absolute worst rule in all of sports. Not kidding. Followed closely by the touchback on a fumble in the endzone, ejection for targeting, & penalty kicks in soccer when someone flops in the box.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BackBrightKakapo-size_restricted.gif

Well, you will be fighting until you die most likely. No way you are going to take 10 scholarships from a sport that makes money and where the players are relatively unaffluent and give those 10 scholarships to sports that lose money and where the players are relatively affluent.

You could maybe do that outside of the P5 on the basis that those football programs lose money and are sucking up too many resources. But the P5 isn't going to allow G5 schools to have more scholarships than them in any sport and still compete with them so realistically all it would allow G5 schools to do is offer more sports than the otherwise would, or I guess offer the minimum scholarship sports they have to for their conference rules and just save $140k-300k a year on scholarship costs depending on how expensive their school is.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 09:31 AM
UGA has 9 LBs rated 92 or better. 9.... They only play 3-4.

Think about that. College basketball can only have 13 players on scholarship. That means that even though KY, Duke, & Kansas are by far the most talented teams in the country, they can't have 10 4 & 5 point guards. It's also why the NCAA tournament is fun & small market teams make runs

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 09:31 AM
Well, you will be fighting until you die most likely. No way you are going to take 10 scholarships from a sport that makes money and where the players are relatively unaffluent and give those 10 scholarships to sports that lose money and where the players are relatively affluent.

You could maybe do that outside of the P5 on the basis that those football programs lose money and are sucking up too many resources. But the P5 isn't going to allow G5 schools to have more scholarships than them in any sport and still compete with them so realistically all it would allow G5 schools to do is offer more sports than the otherwise would, or I guess offer the minimum scholarship sports they have to for their conference rules and just save $140k-300k a year on scholarship costs depending on how expensive their school is.

Then I'll keep fighting. It's the worst rule in sports & it must be fought against.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2020, 09:32 AM
Yep. They could easily drop 10 scholies from football and redistribute.

Speaking of parity..... I'm laughing at all this OHSt v Indiana talk. OHSt leads the series 75-12. 24 straight wins over IU.

Indiana has won twice in Columbus in the last 70 years. 87 and 51.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2020, 09:38 AM
No way you are going to take 10 scholarships from a sport that makes money and where the players are relatively unaffluent and give those 10 scholarships to sports that lose money and where the players are relatively affluent.

l is.

Yep. Given the current political climate in this country too..... no way in hell the NCAA takes scholarships away from "minorities".

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 09:44 AM
Yep. They could easily drop 10 scholies from football and redistribute.

Speaking of parity..... I'm laughing at all this OHSt v Indiana talk. OHSt leads the series 75-12. 24 straight wins over IU.

Indiana has won twice in Columbus in the last 70 years. 87 and 51.

Oh yeah. It's just building up a fake game. Ohio State will beat them by 30. The rosters are out of whack. Which sucks because schools like Indiana that do things the right way, build the team the right way, & have their best team in years, should be able to compete just like the Kansas City Royals can compete when they do the same thing. The fact that this system doesn't allow a team like Indiana to compete due to an 85 scholarship rule that makes no sense, is absolutely Ludacris & a terrible system

Ohio State got a commitment from the #1 QB in the 2022 class last night & will have 6 QBs on the roster in 2022 that are rated 95 or better. Think about that

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Yep. Given the current political climate in this country too..... no way in hell the NCAA takes scholarships away from "minorities".

Then take them away from the white kids on the team. LOL.

What's hilarious is that the same people that will get pissed about scholarships potentially being taken away from minorities, are the same ones that fight tooth & nail for financial redistribution with the economy. So they'll be in a pickle.

Additionally, add scholarships to baseball & create a diversity quota % for the sport if you want. Either way, it would make both sports better.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2020, 10:11 AM
I've thought about it a lot since 2014. I did really enjoy our game v Alabama. I didn't even get excited or nervous or expect a win in 2017. I knew the outcome at kickoff.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 10:19 AM
I've thought about it a lot since 2014. I did really enjoy our game v Alabama. I didn't even get excited or nervous or expect a win in 2017. I knew the outcome at kickoff.

In 2014, we had 6 pro bowlers on the team & still were out talented at the majority of the positions on the field. That's crazy & just a bad system as evidenced by the same teams in the playoffs every year & only 6 teams winning the SEC title in the last 50 years.

It's just a bad system. If you're ok with a bad system, then cool, but it's a bad system nonetheless.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2020, 10:24 AM
ESPN drives the narrative and drives change. I've never heard them touch this topic.

Just b/c you reduce football scholarships doesn't mean you have to redistribute them to another sport.

The 25/85 rule is crazy. With redshirts you can sign 125 players over a 5 year cycle meaning Saban and Smart can "process" up to 40 mis-evaluations like Lashley and Nigel Knott ensuring their roster stays strong. Those programs are fool proof even against early NFL entries negating some of the advantage of having a veteran team.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 10:42 AM
ESPN drives the narrative and drives change. I've never heard them touch this topic.

Just b/c you reduce football scholarships doesn't mean you have to redistribute them to another sport.

The 25/85 rule is crazy. With redshirts you can sign 125 players over a 5 year cycle meaning Saban and Smart can "process" up to 40 mis-evaluations like Lashley and Nigel Knott ensuring their roster stays strong. Those programs are fool proof even against early NFL entries negating some of the advantage of having a veteran team.

100% dead nuts on correct

StarkVegasSteve
11-20-2020, 10:53 AM
In 2014, we had 6 pro bowlers on the team & still were out talented at the majority of the positions on the field. That's crazy & just a bad system as evidenced by the same teams in the playoffs every year & only 6 teams winning the SEC title in the last 50 years.

It's just a bad system. If you're ok with a bad system, then cool, but it's a bad system nonetheless.

It don't know that it's necessarily a "bad" system. It's definitely an imperfect one and it causes schools like State, OM, UK, and USCe to having really good talent evaluators and not have recruiting misses. It's why we were so successful under Dan because of the value he was able to find in underrecruited guys like a BMac, Gabe Jackson, Slay, and Preston Smith. That allowed him to maybe miss with a 4 star like Dee Arrington or a 5 star like Quay Evans. It's almost a Moneyball like approach where you're replacing a 5 star's potential production with 3 or 4 3 stars production. We've basically got to be the Oakland A's of the SEC. We'll always have a few high rated players, but our wins have to come on the backs of those underrecruited players

Now Bama and UGA are able to miss with 5 stars because they can recruit more 5 stars. So numbers don't really ever catch up with them like they do us. Just like the Yankees and Red Sox can just pay over their mistakes, the blue bloods can recruit over their mistakes. So it's definitely slanted to always favor blue bloods, but there's a way to circumvent it and beat them at their own game every few years. This is why something like the transfer portal could be an amazing tool for us. It just takes great recruiters. You have to find the Billy Beane and Paul De Podesta of recruiting.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 11:08 AM
It don't know that it's necessarily a "bad" system. It's definitely an imperfect one and it causes schools like State, OM, UK, and USCe to having really good talent evaluators and not have recruiting misses. It's why we were so successful under Dan because of the value he was able to find in underrecruited guys like a BMac, Gabe Jackson, Slay, and Preston Smith. That allowed him to maybe miss with a 4 star like Dee Arrington or a 5 star like Quay Evans. It's almost a Moneyball like approach where you're replacing a 5 star's potential production with 3 or 4 3 stars production. We've basically got to be the Oakland A's of the SEC. We'll always have a few high rated players, but our wins have to come on the backs of those underrecruited players

Now Bama and UGA are able to miss with 5 stars because they can recruit more 5 stars. So numbers don't really ever catch up with them like they do us. Just like the Yankees and Red Sox can just pay over their mistakes, the blue bloods can recruit over their mistakes. So it's definitely slanted to always favor blue bloods, but there's a way to circumvent it and beat them at their own game every few years. This is why something like the transfer portal could be an amazing tool for us. It just takes great recruiters. You have to find the Billy Beane and Paul De Podesta of recruiting.

All good points, but it's a terrible system.

The problem is that it's an unclimbable mountain. Agree with the money ball stuff, but even if you do all that correctly, you can only win 10 games. That's the problem. There is no path

Jack Lambert
11-20-2020, 11:11 AM
Before the transfer portal you needed more. You could probably argue now about dropping it.

StarkVegasSteve
11-20-2020, 11:11 AM
All good points, but it's a terrible system.

The problem is that it's an unclimbable mountain. Agree with the money ball stuff, but even if you do all that correctly, you can only win 10 games. That's the problem. There is no path

I think the path is there. Hell, if Mullen doesn't clam up in the 1st half at Bama in 14 and De'Runnya isn't tackled in the damn endzone we win that game. But I do agree that in most seasons your ceiling would be 10 wins. We're the runts of the litter in an imperfect system.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 11:18 AM
I think the path is there. Hell, if Mullen doesn't clam up in the 1st half at Bama in 14 and De'Runnya isn't tackled in the damn endzone we win that game. But I do agree that in most seasons your ceiling would be 10 wins. We're the runts of the litter in an imperfect system.

There's no reasonable path. If there were a reasonable path, more than 6 different schools would've won the SEC title in the past 50 years. The odds of only 6 teams winning in the past 50 years is almost perfect evidence that there is no path.

It's a terrible system if you like good games, drama, & intrigue.

College football has only ever run at about 70% capacity of what it's popularity could be

StarkVegasSteve
11-20-2020, 11:24 AM
There's no reasonable path. If there were a reasonable path, more than 6 different schools would've won the SEC title in the past 50 years. The odds of only 6 teams winning in the past 50 years is almost perfect evidence that there is no path.

It's a terrible system if you like good games, drama, & intrigue.

College football has only ever run at about 70% capacity of what it's popularity could be

Oh you're absolutely right on that. Something needs to be done about the competitiveness of the game. I mean Bama blowing everyone out isn't interesting football if you're not a Bama fan, but I don't know what the exact fix is. I don't know that's it's only a recruiting issue. I do agree that is probably the biggest part of the problem, but it's also a problem when a team like UGA spends basically 1 mil in recruiting and we're not even sniffing that amount. And that's not because we don't have the money to do it.

Johnson85
11-20-2020, 11:35 AM

What's hilarious is that the same people that will get pissed about scholarships potentially being taken away from minorities, are the same ones that fight tooth & nail for financial redistribution with the economy. So they'll be in a pickle.

Additionally, add scholarships to baseball & create a diversity quota % for the sport if you want. Either way, it would make both sports better.

In reality, a lot of baseball scholarships probably would go to minorities, at least if they got enough to start offering full scholarships. I'm assuming a lot of poorer baseball players go to minor league rather than college because even minimum wage is a lot better than taking out a loan for even just a quarter of tuition. Surely a lot of those players that are priced out of college baseball would be minorities?

Or do they just not even get into baseball to begin with because of the costs of travel ball?

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 11:40 AM
In reality, a lot of baseball scholarships probably would go to minorities, at least if they got enough to start offering full scholarships. I'm assuming a lot of poorer baseball players go to minor league rather than college because even minimum wage is a lot better than taking out a loan for even just a quarter of tuition. Surely a lot of those players that are priced out of college baseball would be minorities?

Or do they just not even get into baseball to begin with because of the costs of travel ball?

Correct in all of the above

basedog
11-20-2020, 11:40 AM
As a whole Gun, the South is football crazy overall, not so much for other parts of the country. I do think the Sec and particular the non blue bloods such as Msu, reducing scholarships by some would help slightly.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 11:44 AM
As a whole Gun, the South is football crazy overall, not so much for other parts of the country. I do think the Sec and particular the non blue bloods such as Msu, reducing scholarships by some would help slightly.

Slightly is all the sport needs.

I'm not vouching for a NWO. I'm just vouching for a system that provides some reasonable path to competitiveness. When your conference has only had 6 champs in 50 years, that's a problem.

StarkVegasSteve
11-20-2020, 11:51 AM
So apparently we're getting on the plane today with 49 scholarship players. We've received a waiver from the SEC to play. Heath, Davis, and Wheat are also out due to contact tracing. 20 scholarship defensive players

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 11:52 AM
So apparently we're getting on the plane today with 49 scholarship players. We've received a waiver from the SEC to play. Heath, Davis, and Wheat are also out due to contact tracing. 20 scholarship defensive players

Onside kick every time. Just keep the defense off the field & let's play offense all day.

It's the best way to avoid injury

StarkVegasSteve
11-20-2020, 11:58 AM
I'll say this. I've got a lot of respect for the guys out there still fighting and putting it on the line for us. I know coaching on the offensive side of the ball is beyond horrendous, but our guys are still going out there and fighting each and every week. Tomorrow night is gonna be tough, but stranger things have happened. We're gonna be The Junction Boys 2.0 tomorrow night.

RezDog7
11-20-2020, 12:01 PM
Onside kick every time. Just keep the defense off the field & let's play offense all day.

It's the best way to avoid injury

Wouldn't you have to score and recover all of them first? I do not see *** with your statement so I have to assume you're being serious.

Cooterpoot
11-20-2020, 12:04 PM
I'm actually happy to watch this game because these kids deserve support. I'm sure it'll get ugly, but I bet they play hard.

msualohadog
11-20-2020, 12:12 PM

Carries down to the Group of 5 too. Southern Miss, Memphis, Tulane, etc.. Kids just want to play. P5 vs G5 games would be a little closer. NFL teams only have 54 players plus a practice squad. They do fine. I also hate the redshirt rule. Just give everyone 5 years, period. No redshirts, medical redshirts, exceptions, etc.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 12:20 PM
Wouldn't you have to score and recover all of them first? I do not see *** with your statement so I have to assume you're being serious.

No. Even if they recover, they would score quicker, which would give the ball to our offense quicker & get the defense off the field.

I'd seriously on-side kick every time & if we get beat 80-10, we get beat 80-10

Todd4State
11-20-2020, 12:20 PM
I'm actually happy to watch this game because these kids deserve support. I'm sure it'll get ugly, but I bet they play hard.

I agree and this can't be said enough.

msstate7
11-20-2020, 12:22 PM

I'll watch at least the first half, but is playing hard all we expect from our football program now? I miss you mullen

VandelayIndustries
11-20-2020, 12:24 PM
With 20 players on defense yes

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 12:25 PM
I'll watch at least the first half, but is playing hard all we expect from our football program now? I miss you mullen

I mean we've got 49 players tomorrow.
'
Yes, playing our asses off is my only expectation.

bluelightstar
11-20-2020, 12:25 PM

lmao "they'll play hard"

msstate7
11-20-2020, 12:29 PM
I mean we've got 49 players tomorrow.
'
Yes, playing our asses off is my only expectation.

Set the bar low enough, and you'll never have to fail leach.

VandelayIndustries
11-20-2020, 12:30 PM
Set the bar low enough, and you'll never have to fail leach.

Ok troll on

msstate7
11-20-2020, 12:32 PM
With 20 players on defense yes

Give some context then. What was number of defensive participants for each game? How many left on own accord? How many did leach dismiss? Injuries?

Lord McBuckethead
11-20-2020, 12:36 PM

Not interested in a minority quota for any sport, but people pretend that just cause your white means you can afford college for multiple kids. The opportunities are out there to get support for anyone who needs it.

Giving those scholarships to baseball and track and field gives more minorities a chance to play college sports on scholarships. You guys telling me jesus can't hit a curve ball and black folks can't play d1 baseball?

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2020, 12:42 PM
Not interested in a minority quota for any sport, but people pretend that just cause your white means you can afford college for multiple kids. The opportunities are out there to get support for anyone who needs it.

Giving those scholarships to baseball and track and field gives more minorities a chance to play college sports on scholarships. You guys telling me jesus can't hit a curve ball and black folks can't play d1 baseball?

Agree. Was just making a point that anything is better than the current system

Jack Lambert
11-20-2020, 01:58 PM
Oh you're absolutely right on that. Something needs to be done about the competitiveness of the game. I mean Bama blowing everyone out isn't interesting football if you're not a Bama fan, but I don't know what the exact fix is. I don't know that's it's only a recruiting issue. I do agree that is probably the biggest part of the problem, but it's also a problem when a team like UGA spends basically 1 mil in recruiting and we're not even sniffing that amount. And that's not because we don't have the money to do it.

Money spent on recruiting really don't mean much to me. Our footprint is LA, MS, AL, West Tenn and East texas. GA recruits nationwide. They need more money.

Jack Lambert
11-20-2020, 01:58 PM

Money spent on recruiting really don't mean much to me. Our footprint is LA, MS, AL, West Tenn and East texas. GA recruits nationwide. They need more money. Ole Miss tried going nationwide and it only hurt them.

Jarius
11-20-2020, 02:05 PM

Those 3 are roommates, so makes sense.

StarkVegasSteve
11-20-2020, 02:13 PM
Money spent on recruiting really don't mean much to me. Our footprint is LA, MS, AL, West Tenn and East texas. GA recruits nationwide. They need more money. Ole Miss tried going nationwide and it only hurt them.

I seem to remember them getting a Sugar Bowl out of that and were a freak play away from the SEC Championship game. Also, to play in this offense we're going to have to go outside our recruiting footprint.

Quaoarsking
11-21-2020, 12:22 PM
Oh yeah. It's just building up a fake game. Ohio State will beat them by 30. The rosters are out of whack. Which sucks because schools like Indiana that do things the right way, build the team the right way, & have their best team in years, should be able to compete just like the Kansas City Royals can compete when they do the same thing. The fact that this system doesn't allow a team like Indiana to compete due to an 85 scholarship rule that makes no sense, is absolutely Ludacris & a terrible system

Ohio State got a commitment from the #1 QB in the 2022 class last night & will have 6 QBs on the roster in 2022 that are rated 95 or better. Think about that

Looking like a good prediction so far. College football could be so much more amazing with some small tweaks.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2020, 01:47 PM
Looking like a good prediction so far. College football could be so much more amazing with some small tweaks.

Yup. Big 10 game of the year is 28-7 at halftime.

It's a brutal sport. There is no path. Indiana has done everything right this season but the overwhelming talent advantage of about 5 schools in the country makes it impossible

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2020, 02:23 PM
35-7 now.

Again, these are the two best teams in the Big 10

What's hilarious is how the media thinks it's because of coaching, scheme, etc. Nothing about the reality

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2020, 02:39 PM
Ohio State is up 35-14 and Fields has thrown 3 INTs.

Think about how large the talent gap much be to throw 3 INTs & still be up 35-15....

Again, this isn't a competitive sport. It doesn't even really develop players on blue bloods because they never get punished for mistakes.

msstate7
11-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Ohio State is up 35-14 and Fields has thrown 3 INTs.

Think about how large the talent gap much be to throw 3 INTs & still be up 35-15....

Again, this isn't a competitive sport. It doesn't even really develop players on blue bloods because they never get punished for mistakes.

It's 42-28 and TOs are even at 3.

msstate7
11-21-2020, 03:16 PM
42-35 Ohio st... TOs still even at 3

Jarius
11-21-2020, 03:20 PM
Haha although I agree with the premise this is not aging well.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2020, 03:20 PM
42-35 Ohio st... TOs still even at 3

Yup, Indiana is coming back, with a bunch of Mississippi players nonetheless

Quaoarsking
11-21-2020, 03:35 PM
Haha although I agree with the premise this is not aging well.

Oh come on. Even if Indiana pulls this out, the overall point that the "big boys" have huge advantages and win a disproportionate share of games is still true.

Jarius
11-21-2020, 03:40 PM
Oh come on. Even if Indiana pulls this out, the overall point that the "big boys" have huge advantages and win a disproportionate share of games is still true.

That’s what I said. I agree with the premise. It’s just a bad example that aged poorly.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2020, 03:57 PM
Alabama vs Kentucky about to start.

Alabama has won 95 straight games against unranked opponents. NINETY-FIVE

Think about how non-competitive that is & also consider that maybe only 5 of Alabama normal 12 game schedule are against ranked opponents.

msstate7
11-21-2020, 04:01 PM

Big boys have a huge advantage when they have a great coach. No one crying about Texas, Michigan, and usc. And there were times when the world wasn't fair bc those 3 were better than everyone else.

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2020, 04:19 PM
Big boys have a huge advantage when they have a great coach. No one crying about Texas, Michigan, and usc. And there were times when the world wasn't fair bc those 3 were better than everyone else.

True and when 2nd tier teams have a great coach, they leave because big boys have the advantage. There's literally nothing you can do

msstate7
11-21-2020, 04:27 PM
True and when 2nd tier teams have a great coach, they leave because big boys have the advantage. There's literally nothing you can do

Losing coaches to blue bloods does suck, but it's human nature to want bigger, better things, so I can't fault the coaches

ShotgunDawg
11-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Losing coaches to blue bloods does suck, but it's human nature to want bigger, better things, so I can't fault the coaches

Oh I get it, but, if there was a little more parity, program would be able to build up a better tradition, funds, etc & actually may be able to keep those coaches.

Think about college baseball. The same teams are usually the best teams, but very rarely to coaches change jobs in that sport, because even a non-blue blood program still has a chance at winning big.

College basketball is similar. Yes, some coaches move around in college basketball, mostly from mid-majors to blue bloods, but most of them stay put & build where their feet are.

College football offers no such chance & that's the problem. You can't build anything.

If college football would just close the gap to the point where good coaches stayed at schools & built for the long haul, it would be a far far far better game, TV product, & sport very quickly.

maroonmania
11-21-2020, 07:31 PM
Agree. Was just making a point that anything is better than the current system

Shotgun, I TOTALLY support your opinion. College football right now, as a whole is a terrible product. By far the worst of any major sport out there. Yes, there are a lot of great individual games out there from week to week but overall the sport is just not competitive. You've got ONLY the same elite programs every year that can win a championship (roughly 6 to 8 of them) and only maybe about 15-18 programs that have any chance to make a 4 team playoff. The Bama game today was unwatchable, unless you are a huge Bama fan, like all but about 3 or 4 of their games all year. Whatever movement can be formed to promote the reduction of scholarships per program I will gladly join and support. There has to be some way to spread out some of the elite talent a little more each year to close the talent gap a bit between the few haves and the rest of everyone else who are essentially the have nots.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2020, 11:01 AM
SMH

What the hell are we doing? This is a real sport in 2020. Can you believe it?

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1330903937734610945?s=20

R2Dawg
11-23-2020, 06:45 PM
SMH

What the hell are we doing? This is a real sport in 2020. Can you believe it?

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1330903937734610945?s=20

Yeah it is a joke. NFL can play with 53 but college needs 85? Something needs to be done just like when they put scholarship limits. Cut them back and bring some parity to college football.

RocketDawg
11-23-2020, 06:59 PM
Yeah it is a joke. NFL can play with 53 but college needs 85? Something needs to be done just like when they put scholarship limits. Cut them back and bring some parity to college football.

When scholarship limits were first imposed, was 85 the limit, or has it changed, either up or down, since then?

Basketball has a limit of 13, which is 2.6 the number that can be on the floor at one time. Baseball can barely field a 9-man team with scholarship players (were they able to give full scholarships). But football has almost 8 times the number on the field at once, or 4 times the number if you consider offense and defense to be different teams (so to speak).

If the number was cut to that of basketball, then the limitation would be 2.6 x 22, or 57.2. Maybe that's the magic number for football. It's a contact sport, but so is basketball nowadays.

CaptainObvious
11-23-2020, 09:42 PM
When scholarship limits were first imposed, was 85 the limit, or has it changed, either up or down, since then?

Basketball has a limit of 13, which is 2.6 the number that can be on the floor at one time. Baseball can barely field a 9-man team with scholarship players (were they able to give full scholarships). But football has almost 8 times the number on the field at once, or 4 times the number if you consider offense and defense to be different teams (so to speak).

If the number was cut to that of basketball, then the limitation would be 2.6 x 22, or 57.2. Maybe that's the magic number for football. It's a contact sport, but so is basketball nowadays.

I think you are on to something here.

But let?s round up to 3x
Basketball 3x 5=15 scholarships
Baseball 3x 9=27 scholarships
Football 3x 22=66 scholarships
W-Basketball-15
Softball-27
Soccer-33
Volleyball-12
Cheerleading/Dance-21

SPMT
11-23-2020, 10:01 PM
The money is in football.

I imagine, the scholarships won't change due to it helping so many under-privileged kids get a degree. Whether you agree with that or not.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2020, 10:04 PM

I imagine, the scholarships won't change due to it helping so many under-privileged kids get a degree. Whether you agree with that or not.

That is the political side of this. However, the sport would make more money with less scholarships which may open the door for players to be paid something

SPMT
11-23-2020, 10:26 PM
True

maroonmania
11-23-2020, 10:49 PM

There would be a lot more money in football if more schools could actually compete for something other than a nice bowl trip. Can you imagine how many more season tickets could be sold at a lot of the Power 5 schools if more schools had real hopes of competing for a NC. The money will be there anyway, no matter how many scholarships football gets, and most folks just want a more competitive product to follow so seems like it would be fine to just fund 10 to 15 more scholarships from the football profits to fund scholarships for underprivileged kids. It would be the same difference since we are basically saying that the extra glut of scholarships used on football is just a scholarship program anyway.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2020, 10:51 PM
There would be a lot more money in football if more schools could actually compete for something other than a nice bowl trip. Can you imagine how many more season tickets could be sold at a lot of the Power 5 schools if more schools had real hopes of competing for a NC. The money will be there anyway, no matter how many scholarships football gets, and most folks just want a more competitive product to follow so seems like it would be fine to just fund 10 to 15 more scholarships from the football profits to fund scholarships for underprivileged kids. It would be the same difference since we are basically saying that the extra glut of scholarships used on football is just a scholarship program anyway.

Dead... nuts... on