PDA

View Full Version : All the talk about needing better WR, but what about RB?

Irondawg
11-18-2020, 02:20 PM
I know we are playing 2 true freshman there which does make it hard to judge, but I keep waiting for even a handful of moments where they make an above average play. I know we have tons of other problems, but just seems we need a back capable of breaking a few tackles as against a zone we're not just going to find a bunch of seams to run through.

Seems we could use a guy who can hit what should be a decent hold and just bust through a tackle or drag a LB 3 yards? We don't appear to have that kind of bruiser on the roster and don't appear to be recruiting one either. ( I know Howard is built more like that but I'm still not sure he ends up in the class)

What are your thoughts of what kind of back you think Marks and Johnson will become?

viverlibre
11-18-2020, 02:28 PM
The drop to our current RBs from Kylin Hill is unreal (i realize that Kylin's talent is off the chart). They do down so easily, never run though a tackle, make a move or regain their balance after a defender looks harshly at them.

Hopefully, it's just an adjustment period, but you can usually tell if a RB is going to be good early on in his career.

Our starter is a 4 star recruit, hopefully he puts it together.

Captain Falcon
11-18-2020, 02:40 PM
I am not really sure you can take much away from our RB play this year. We rarely run the ball and when we throw it to them they usually have to zero open field to work with. It's not like they are getting brought down a lot in one on one situations in the open field, they are often getting the ball with their backs turned to the defense and two or three guys waiting to hit them. It's hard to expect much from them when they are facing such an uphill battle to get any kind of yards right now.

StarkVegasSteve
11-18-2020, 02:45 PM
The drop to our current RBs from Kylin Hill is unreal (i realize that Kylin's talent is off the chart). They do down so easily, never run though a tackle, make a move or regain their balance after a defender looks harshly at them.

Hopefully, it's just an adjustment period, but you can usually tell if a RB is going to be good early on in his career.

Our starter is a 4 star recruit, hopefully he puts it together.

It's really not a far drop at all. Kylin is a rotation guy in the NFL at best. He's never going to be a feature back. He doesn't have the breakaway speed or consistency(see his record number of tap outs). I can count on one hand the amount of times he had a breakaway touchdown in his 3+ years. All that jumping doesn't get you anywhere in the NFL except on the bench or the IR. If these guys had a line who could block or were able to get 1 on 1 matchups they'd be just about the same as Kylin. And I'm not trying to knock Kylin because he's a good RB, but give me a Vick Ballard or a Ladarius Perkins any day of the week over a Kylin Hill. Marks will surpass Hill before his time at MSU is done.

FISHDAWG
11-18-2020, 03:37 PM
We need another Ladarius Perkins for this system

Brahmabull
11-18-2020, 03:43 PM
Our running backs will be fine once they go thru a full offseason in weight program. Need to strengthen lower body to help with tackle breaking.

Activated Alpha
11-18-2020, 03:58 PM
Give me Aeris Williams all day long. Over the past 15 years he has been one of the most underrated backs. Hell, if we had 2017 Aeris on our 2014 team we probably beat Alabama and Ole Miss

RiverCityDawg
11-18-2020, 04:06 PM
I tend to agree. I'm not counting the times they catch it an immediately get hit, so even setting those aside it just seems like they are making very few miss and not breaking very many tackles. I'm not writing them off, but we really need a big sophomore jump from those two.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2020, 04:11 PM
Our running backs will be fine once they go thru a full offseason in weight program. Need to strengthen lower body to help with tackle breaking.

This.

Mark looks great except he isn't strong enough yet. Once he adds some leg strength, he'll be breaking those tackles.

Cooterpoot
11-18-2020, 04:23 PM
I expect some shake up in the RB group. Both are solid & different styles. Hoping we can pull White.

msstate7
11-18-2020, 04:33 PM
I really think it will be hard to pull upper talent backs with sec offers. Would you wanna play in this offense as a rb?

viverlibre
11-18-2020, 04:40 PM
It's really not a far drop at all. Kylin is a rotation guy in the NFL at best. He's never going to be a feature back. He doesn't have the breakaway speed or consistency(see his record number of tap outs). I can count on one hand the amount of times he had a breakaway touchdown in his 3+ years. All that jumping doesn't get you anywhere in the NFL except on the bench or the IR. If these guys had a line who could block or were able to get 1 on 1 matchups they'd be just about the same as Kylin. And I'm not trying to knock Kylin because he's a good RB, but give me a Vick Ballard or a Ladarius Perkins any day of the week over a Kylin Hill. Marks will surpass Hill before his time at MSU is done.

Did you smoke a bowl at lunch? Kylin is (was?) one of the best RBs in college football, I have no idea of his NFL potential though. He broke a ton of tackles and made a lot of people miss. I'm not implying he broke a bunch of 60 years runs, but he turned a lot of 3 yard runs into 8 yard gains. Our current bunch turns 8 yard plays into 3 yard gains by going down easily from a shoestring tackle. Our current RBs don't seem to have his instincts (that he displayed early on), hopefully next year will be better.

I'd be glad to have Vick, Lardarus, ATrain, the Bowling Ball, Boobie, JJ, Michael Haddix, Michael Davis, Kevin Bowie, Keefer McGee (RIP), and many others. We've been spoiled at the RB position.

Bothrops
11-18-2020, 04:57 PM
We have 3 RB's now that will be suitable. Just need to keep them in the roster.

Todd4State
11-18-2020, 05:54 PM
I really think it will be hard to pull upper talent backs with sec offers. Would you wanna play in this offense as a rb?

Actually, I would say our offense showcases a running back better in some ways than others because we ask the running backs to catch the ball a lot. And we also don't rely on them like we did a JJ Johnson so it prevents wear and tear- which could equal a lot of money long term.

Todd4State
11-18-2020, 05:55 PM
As far as the OP goes- I think we should try to add to what we've got for sure. I think Marks and Johnson have very bright futures but if we can add a four star and Hunter from Neshoba Central that would be ideal. There are also some really good running backs in the 2022 class as well.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2020, 05:55 PM

The offense we're currently running or the normal Leach offense?

Bothrops
11-18-2020, 06:03 PM
We don’t need more than 3 RB's on the roster for this offense.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2020, 06:08 PM

No. I would not.

Cowbell
11-18-2020, 06:31 PM

Kudos to you - this is dead on. Kylins talent was overblown by so many. Josh Robinson was better by a mile and he sure ain't doing much in the league

Cowbell
11-18-2020, 06:32 PM
We don’t need more than 3 RB's on the roster for this offense.

We do if they keep getting killed as soon as they catch the ball on screens...

Coach34
11-18-2020, 06:44 PM
It's going to be hard to recruit RB's going forward. RB's want the ball- not 5 carries and 8 checkdown passes

Bothrops
11-18-2020, 06:46 PM
Kudos to you - this is dead on. Kylins talent was overblown by so many. Josh Robinson was better by a mile and he sure ain't doing much in the league

I think the Robinson had NFL potential but they **** up like everyone else. I'm still pissed we didn't get his senior year.

Bothrops
11-18-2020, 06:47 PM
We do if they keep getting killed as soon as they catch the ball on screens...

Well if you dont expect the offense to improve at all, then you're right.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Washington State had Max Borghi a 5?10? 195 lb running back that was on the Doak Walker watch list this season that had 1400 all purpose yards and 16 TD?s last season...so Leach can find a RB...

StarkVegasSteve
11-18-2020, 07:36 PM
Did you smoke a bowl at lunch? Kylin is (was?) one of the best RBs in college football, I have no idea of his NFL potential though. He broke a ton of tackles and made a lot of people miss. I'm not implying he broke a bunch of 60 years runs, but he turned a lot of 3 yard runs into 8 yard gains. Our current bunch turns 8 yard plays into 3 yard gains by going down easily from a shoestring tackle. Our current RBs don't seem to have his instincts (that he displayed early on), hopefully next year will be better.

I'd be glad to have Vick, Lardarus, ATrain, the Bowling Ball, Boobie, JJ, Michael Haddix, Michael Davis, Kevin Bowie, Keefer McGee (RIP), and many others. We've been spoiled at the RB position.

Kylin wasn't the best running back in this conference or division. Najee Harris, Jerrion Ealy, Kevin Harris, Zamir White, Isaiah Spiller, Eric Gray....I'd take any of those players over Hill. Hell I'd take Snoop Conner over him too. Kylin isn't special. It's not hard to see. He's a solid college RB. But he's not irreplaceable and there's a lot of RBs I'd take over him. And the number one reason I'd take any of those players over him....ATTITUDE. Those guys run hard no matter the situation. Kylin runs hard when it's convenient for Kylin.

And no, I'm not smoking a bowl.....although to get through this season I've needed one a few times.

R2Dawg
11-18-2020, 07:39 PM
Give me Aeris Williams all day long. Over the past 15 years he has been one of the most underrated backs. Hell, if we had 2017 Aeris on our 2014 team we probably beat Alabama and Ole Miss

I liked AW a lot too. Since AD, I think my favorite is Vic Ballard.

Back to topic, our backs are just fine for what Leach does. Leach ain't getting no backs like MSU is used to as long as he is here, ain't what he wants. No back like that wants to come here either for a team that passes 75 times a game.

R2Dawg
11-18-2020, 07:41 PM
It's going to be hard to recruit RB's going forward. RB's want the ball- not 5 carries and 8 checkdown passes

Exactly, just posted same thing. Not happening.

Matt3467
11-18-2020, 07:52 PM

Right. I said before that aside from the Shumpert/Holloway era I'd rather have every starting back and many of our backups (Ducre, Griffin recently off the top of my head) from the past 26 or more years over Hill any day.

We've had Aeris Williams, Josh Robinson, Perkins, Ballard, Dixon, Norwood, Dicenzo Miller, James Johnson, Keffer McGee. Give me any one of those over Hill any day.

Quaoarsking
11-18-2020, 07:54 PM
Washington State had Max Borghi a 5?10? 195 lb running back that was on the Doak Walker watch list this season that had 1400 all purpose yards and 16 TD?s last season...so Leach can find a RB...

If he liked Leach, we should try to get him to grad transfer in. He would theoretically have 2 more seasons to play.

R2Dawg
11-18-2020, 07:57 PM
Right. I said before that aside from the Shumpert/Holloway era I'd rather have every starting back and many of our backups (Ducre, Griffin recently off the top of my head) from the past 26 or more years over Hill any day.

We've had Aeris Williams, Josh Robinson, Perkins, Ballard, Dixon, Norwood, Dicenzo Miller, James Johnson, Keffer McGee. Give me any one of those over Hill any day.

Agree with that list better than Hill. Boy we have had some great RB over the years. A few other older ones - Haddix, Roberts, Davis, Bouie,

Matt3467
11-18-2020, 07:59 PM
If he liked Leach, we should try to get him to grad transfer in. He would theoretically have 2 more seasons to play.

Yea I was hoping we'd be in play for him.

Matt3467
11-18-2020, 08:02 PM

Hill disappeared in the big games. He racked up the majority of his yardage vs inferior competition. Maybe I'm being overly harsh as well because I've really grown to despise him for tap outs.

viverlibre
11-18-2020, 08:10 PM
Kylin wasn't the best running back in this conference or division. Najee Harris, Jerrion Ealy, Kevin Harris, Zamir White, Isaiah Spiller, Eric Gray....I'd take any of those players over Hill. Hell I'd take Snoop Conner over him too. Kylin isn't special. It's not hard to see. He's a solid college RB. But he's not irreplaceable and there's a lot of RBs I'd take over him. And the number one reason I'd take any of those players over him....ATTITUDE. Those guys run hard no matter the situation. Kylin runs hard when it's convenient for Kylin.

And no, I'm not smoking a bowl.....although to get through this season I've needed one a few times.

I think there is a little recency bias in your analysis. I checked two rankings of RBs going into the 2020 season, he was rated number 9 by 24/7 and 6 by Athlon, that's for the nation, not the SEC. I don't like what he did either, but to argue he was not a top RB in college football (going into 2020) is crazy talk.

Irondawg
11-18-2020, 10:42 PM
I think we can find a RB that wants to play in the SEC and close to home. Power backs aren’t in as much demand these days and I’m talking about finding a guy that just proves he can move a pile and dig out some pain while having decent hands.

Ballard and Robinson weren’t 4/5 star players. There are lots of guys that can be excellent college backs without the extra skills to be NFL guys.

Bothrops
11-19-2020, 01:32 AM
Ballard and Robinson weren’t 4/5 star players. There are lots of guys that can be excellent college backs without the extra skills to be NFL guys.

They were both 4 star talents though.

FISHDAWG
11-19-2020, 08:12 AM
Hill disappeared in the big games. He racked up the majority of his yardage vs inferior competition. Maybe I'm being overly harsh as well because I've really grown to despise him for tap outs.

he also disappeared for the season .... the Ultimate Tap-Out

defiantdog
11-19-2020, 09:18 AM
Kylin was talented..... But Marks will surpass him (if he doesn't transfer out). Marks has better speed..... Faster cut..... And a lot better vision. Hill was great in the open field..... But bounced the ball out too much.

Dillon Johnson will be good too. Dude hit a growth spurt in the spring and I wouldn't doubt him being 6 foot 220 by next season. The futures is bright for our rbs. Let's just keep them on the team.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2020, 09:57 AM
Kylin was talented..... But Marks will surpass him (if he doesn't transfer out). Marks has better speed..... Faster cut..... And a lot better vision. Hill was great in the open field..... But bounced the ball out too much.

Dillon Johnson will be good too. Dude hit a growth spurt in the spring and I wouldn't doubt him being 6 foot 220 by next season. The futures is bright for our rbs. Let's just keep them on the team.

Why would Marks transfer out?

HoopsDawg
11-19-2020, 10:09 AM
Why would Marks transfer out?

b/c he might not want to play in this offense. This is not what he signed up for.

viverlibre
11-19-2020, 11:33 AM

Don't let facts get in the way.

Matt3467
11-19-2020, 01:54 PM

Ballard was a middle of the road 3 star coming out of JUCO per 247. Can't find anything even rating him coming out of HS.

Josh Robinson was a low tier 3 star out of HS per 247. Heck ESPN had him as a 2 star.

Where are you getting your info?

Matt3467
11-19-2020, 01:55 PM
Don't let facts get in the way.

They weren't 4 stars.

bluelightstar
11-19-2020, 02:04 PM
Yea I was hoping we'd be in play for him.

Wouldn't count on it: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/mike-leach-washington-state-mississippi-max-borghi-reaction

Also, this:

“I think coach Rolo is totally a players’ coach,” running back Max Borghi said after Rolovich’s introductory news conference. “Obviously, (it’s) different than what we’re used to. He’s someone who wants to connect with every one of his players, no matter if you’re the starter or the scout guy. He obviously takes pride in learning everyone’s names. I can almost tell he’s more of a father-figure type coach, rather than a ‘go through the motions’ type coach. He cares about us as men.”

https://lmtribune.com/sports/dillard-players-frowned-on-leach-s-tacks/article_c16acc66-b64e-5d12-8748-2627a8e6ced9.html

HoopsDawg
11-19-2020, 02:09 PM
Wouldn't count on it: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/mike-leach-washington-state-mississippi-max-borghi-reaction

Also, this:

https://lmtribune.com/sports/dillard-players-frowned-on-leach-s-tacks/article_c16acc66-b64e-5d12-8748-2627a8e6ced9.html

Great hire Cohen.

FISHDAWG
11-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Ballard was a middle of the road 3 star coming out of JUCO per 247. Can't find anything even rating him coming out of HS.

Josh Robinson was a low tier 3 star out of HS per 247. Heck ESPN had him as a 2 star.

Where are you getting your info?

and they both were drafted ... just underrated

Matt3467
11-19-2020, 02:20 PM
and they both were drafted ... just underrated

True but the inference is that were 4 star recruits. We've always been able to find good talent at that position so I'm not too worried about RB going forward.

Matt3467
11-19-2020, 02:23 PM

Also, this:

Yea ironic though he hasn't rushed once this season. I think he's injured but point stands. Also that was a reflex reaction I'm sure because Leach involved Borghi a ton. He became a dangerous weapon in his offense.

StarkVegasSteve
11-19-2020, 02:30 PM
Yea ironic though he hasn't rushed once this season. I think he's injured but point stands. Also that was a reflex reaction I'm sure because Leach involved Borghi a ton. He became a dangerous weapon in his offense.

Borghi was an amazing get for that staff. Being able to pull him from Colorado was big. He reminds me of a poor man's Christian Mccaffrey. That's the type of back you have to have for this offense. That's why Ahmonte Watkins would be a MASSIVE recruiting victory for this staff.

Coach34
11-19-2020, 02:32 PM
RB will be very difficult to recruit going forward.

StarkVegasSteve
11-19-2020, 02:44 PM
RB will be very difficult to recruit going forward.

It will be in the sense that we have to hit on any RB we recruit. If this offense can get going, which remains to be seen, getting interest won't be hard but finding the right fit will be incredibly difficult. You need someone like a Kamara, CmC, Rex Burkhead, or Aaron Jones.

This is why I'm really skeptical about offering this Starkville High RB. Doesn't seem like he fits at all. Could be wrong though

Matt3467
11-19-2020, 03:16 PM
Borghi was an amazing get for that staff. Being able to pull him from Colorado was big. He reminds me of a poor man's Christian Mccaffrey. That's the type of back you have to have for this offense. That's why Ahmonte Watkins would be a MASSIVE recruiting victory for this staff.

Is he legitimately interested?

StarkVegasSteve
11-19-2020, 08:30 PM
Is he legitimately interested?

I think I read that he was. Now, the way our offense currently looks he may have backed off that, but I seem to remember that he had definite interest in us. Can't remember where I read it. I think it was either Rosie or Paul Jones