PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen is the best

basedog
11-14-2020, 08:29 PM
In developing QB?s in college football.

He is also Damn good OC besides being a really good HC.

Kyle Trask can really spin the ball and probably will win the Heisman.

Florida Bama game will be awesome!

AROB44
11-14-2020, 08:35 PM
Sure wish Mullen had never left us. Fla just might beat Bama. If so, I hope Mullen wins it all.

msu15
11-14-2020, 08:37 PM
Bama is going to smoke them. Florida couldn't stop A&M, imagine what Mac Jones and his boys are going to do to that Grantham defense.

basedog
11-14-2020, 08:41 PM
Florida will score against Bama so I predict a high scoring shootout. I’m pulling for Mullen.

TUSK
11-14-2020, 08:45 PM
I dunno if UF will make it to the SECCG (prolly will)...

If Bammer is fortunate enough to see them there, Saban will drop a 40 row disc in the ground, and plow that team (UF) under.

msstate7
11-14-2020, 08:47 PM

If Bammer is fortunate enough to see them there, Saban will drop a 40 row disc in the ground, and plow that team (UF) under.

Idk, I think it will be a high scoring close game

basedog
11-14-2020, 09:06 PM

So who is gonna beat Flbfor the east? If OM came close to upsetting Bama, then the Gators sho can as well! Much better talent than OM.

hp22
11-14-2020, 11:14 PM
In developing QB?s in college football.

He is also Damn good OC besides being a really good HC.

Kyle Trask can really spin the ball and probably will win the Heisman.

Florida Bama game will be awesome!

Dan is an elite football coach.

Liverpooldawg
11-14-2020, 11:23 PM
Mullen is the best coach we have ever had. Only Allyn McKeen could give him a run for his money, and they coached in totally different times. It blows my mind that we had many who were happy to see him go. That attitude had a lot to do with why he left. Those folks were clueless, and still are. Whatever you think about THAT, Cohen can not be allowed to be involved in another football coaching search. He has to go at least a year prior to Leach. We can't fire Leach for at least three more years. Start evaluating ADs now. Fire Cohen in about 18 months.

Bothrops
11-14-2020, 11:31 PM
Mullen is the best qb coach in the country. Kyle Trask was a 2 star and Mullen changed the offense for him to succeed.

Bothrops
11-14-2020, 11:36 PM
Mullen is the best coach we have ever had. Only Allyn McKeen could give him a run for his money, and they coached in totally different times. It blows my mind that we had many who were happy to see him go. That attitude had a lot to do with why he left. Those folks were clueless, and still are. Whatever you think about THAT, Cohen can not be allowed to be involved in another football coaching search. He has to go at least a year prior to Leach. We can't fire Leach for at least three more years. Start evaluating ADs now. Fire Cohen in about 18 months.

Thing is Dan has worked harder at Florida than he did much of his time here. Whether people were ready for him to go or not, his time here had expired. At least that's how I read it from judging from his point of view.

msstate7
11-14-2020, 11:39 PM
Keep in mind that Mullen was without the sec's best offensive weapon tonight, Pitts.

Bothrops
11-14-2020, 11:44 PM
Keep in mind that Mullen was without the sec's best offensive weapon tonight, Pitts.

He won't get enough credit for what he's done there tjis season unless he wins the SEC at least. I dont think any other coach in the country could have done as good at Florida this year.

LC Dawg
11-14-2020, 11:44 PM
It blows my mind that we had many who were happy to see him go. That attitude had a lot to do with why he left.

No it didn't.

Cowbell
11-15-2020, 12:40 AM
I'm willing to put a lot of money down on Florida losing a star for that game due to positive "covid" results. Any takers?

Cowbell
11-15-2020, 12:41 AM
Thing is Dan has worked harder at Florida than he did much of his time here. Whether people were ready for him to go or not, his time here had expired. At least that's how I read it from judging from his point of view.
You are correct. Love him for what he did here. Hate him for not wanting to stay and build something.

msstate7
11-15-2020, 12:44 AM
I'm willing to put a lot of money down on Florida losing a star for that game due to positive "covid" results. Any takers?

Lol, maybe. Trask and Pitts have come back positive 10 mins before game

Captain Falcon
11-15-2020, 12:50 AM
I mean if you need any proof of how good Mullen was for us, look at where we were three years ago when he was still here and where we are now. We much more closely resemble the Croom era than the Mullen era right now. Perhaps things improve, but we clearly got worse as a program the day Mullen left.

Liverpooldawg
11-15-2020, 12:53 AM

Laughable. And a prime reason he left.

Liverpooldawg
11-15-2020, 12:54 AM
No it didn't.

Yes, it did.

Liverpooldawg
11-15-2020, 12:55 AM
You are correct. Love him for what he did here. Hate him for not wanting to stay and build something.

We had a very vocal slim minority that wanted him gone. This is FACT. They got what they wanted. I hope they are happy. I'm not.

Liverpooldawg
11-15-2020, 12:58 AM
I mean if you need any proof of how good Mullen was for us, look at where we were three years ago when he was still here and where we are now. We much more closely resemble the Croom era than the Mullen era right now. Perhaps things improve, but we clearly got worse as a program the day Mullen left.

Absolutely. The evidence is not contestable.

bulldawg28
11-15-2020, 04:08 AM
Dan is the man! He always has and will be. We get the benefit to cheer for Mullen. We'd be no worse than all the Bama homers with no affiliation. I'll pull for him weekly except if he ever plays the dogs.

msbulldog
11-15-2020, 06:40 AM
Yes, it did.

Mullen only planned to be at MSU about 3 or 4 years. He kept looking for other jobs and lost interest in his job at MSU in the 2nd half of the season. He could have got a huge step-up in 2014, but his fear of Saban showed up and he played not to lose in the 2nd half of that game and blew it. He gave up at that point, He could have blown Ole Miss up if he had tried.
He didn't want to be here and I'm glad he's gone. He will continue to blow the big games, look at the aTm game. 17 Mullen.

Dawgfan77
11-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Absolutely. The evidence is not contestable.
You know so little about things

Mullen wanted out long before 2017. He had three jobs locked up before they fell through at the last second. Miami, Maryland in 15 UT in
17. Then UF opened up. Don't blame this on a vocal minority. You look dumb with your comments. Trust me I know LC well and he has good sources.

basedog
11-15-2020, 10:03 AM
Half ass Mullen is way better than what is going on now. He had very little discipline problems, we won many games which has never happen in most of our lifetimes.
I'm just not mad IF he wanted out of StarkVegas, I've held a job before where I didn't want to be nor did I like it. Fact is I looked around before I got what I wanted and needed, tell you never did this? LOL

Going back to the Gators, their offense is as good as any in the country, playmakers all over the place. Trask just seems to be getting better every game, extremely accurate who doesn't make many mistakes. In comparing him to Jones or Corral, he isn't as athleted but he is the better QB.

Dan's play calling is as good as it gets. Hope they win the Sec, I just don't hate Dan, I wasn't crazy how things ended but it's what happens a lot of times in sports or job changing.

P.S. Kiffen > Leach, JMO!

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2020, 11:08 AM
Mullen always had a ceiling at MSU. He now is somewhere that does most of the heavy lifting in recruiting so he can concentrate on what he is good at. MSU needs someone that can recruit well and develop. I thought Napier was a good fit but that didn't work out.

Edited to add : Mullen not being 100% in November pissed me off but not enough to want him gone. I did hear from high up Maryland alum that he was locked up before he tried to get the Miami job. He was leaving at some point no matter what. He had one foot out the door since 2014.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2020, 11:57 AM
You know so little about things

Mullen wanted out long before 2017. He had three jobs locked up before they fell through at the last second. Miami, Maryland in 15 UT in
17. Then UF opened up. Don't blame this on a vocal minority. You look dumb with your comments. Trust me I know LC well and he has good sources.

Don't forget, that was the second time he tried to get the Miami job - he interviewed for it after 2010. That's where the "Dan Mullen believes he invented football" quote came from by someone associated with Miami (maybe Ast. AD?). And that's not the only job he was rumored for that year. Fact is Dan never intended to stay long and was going to use us as a stepping stone. It just took him longer than he thought.

bulldawg28
11-15-2020, 11:59 AM
Don't forget, that was the second time he tried to get the Miami job - he interviewed for it after 2010. That's where the "Dan Mullen believes he invented football" quote came from by someone associated with Miami (maybe Ast. AD?). And that's not the only job he was rumored for that year. Fact is Dan never intended to stay long and was going to use us as a stepping stone. It just took him longer than he thought.

Dan had the Miami if he wanted it.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Dan had the Miami if he wanted it.

If I'm not mistaken, they were either on probation or under investigation for the Shapiro stuff which probably kept him away. Point is still true that he was out looking after year 2.

Dawgfan77
11-15-2020, 01:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they were either on probation or under investigation for the Shapiro stuff which probably kept him away. Point is still true that he was out looking after year 2.

He had it then Richt left GA and Miami pulled the offer off the table

Bothrops
11-15-2020, 07:00 PM
Laughable. And a prime reason he left.

Laughable what? Mullen already thought he was bigger than our program before the time he left.

lastmajordog
11-16-2020, 08:22 PM
If he coaches like he did in the years he truly SHOULD have beaten Bama here he will win.....but probably will freeze and go conservative. If he does win , it will be because he learned and went for it when he should have.....we shall see. The truth is he should have at LEAST three wins over Bama on his resume from his time with the DOGS......It’s a shame because he put the DOGS in a position to win....

Hot Rock
11-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Mullen left us, he had no intention of staying as long as he did. State was always a stepping stone and he started actively searching when he thought he had built a resume' to get him out.

That's way he left, no one at State ran him off in any way. He did not believe in State and it's that simple. That's why he is gone.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2020, 12:40 PM
Mullen left us, he had no intention of staying as long as he did. State was always a stepping stone and he started actively searching when he thought he had built a resume' to get him out.

That's way he left, no one at State ran him off in any way. He did not believe in State and it's that simple. That's why he is gone.

This is the most factual post in this thread.

Threads like this are so embarrassing and just amplify the poor ol mittittippi tate attitude. I have a buddy that's a Florida fan. He gives me crap every time he reads stuff like this or hears a State fan talking about how great Mullen is.

msstate7
11-18-2020, 12:42 PM
This is the most factual post in this thread.

Threads like this are so embarrassing and just amplify the poor ol mittittippi tate attitude. I have a buddy that's a Florida fan. He gives me crap every time he reads stuff like this or hears a State fan talking about how great Mullen is.

Well, it's relative. Mullen was absolutely "great" here. What's great here isn't even good in other places

Dawg2003
11-18-2020, 01:02 PM
The fact is that Dan likely got us to the highest point we will ever get to in football. You can argue Jackie taking us to the SEC Championship too, but that was a different time. We are now reverting back to the mean. People get so upset about Dan because they know all of this to be fact. They would take him back in a heartbeat.

SPMT
11-18-2020, 01:17 PM
The fact is that Dan likely got us to the highest point we will ever get to in football. You can argue Jackie taking us to the SEC Championship too, but that was a different time. We are now reverting back to the mean. People get so upset about Dan because they know all of this to be fact. They would take him back in a heartbeat.

No doubt

was21
11-18-2020, 01:30 PM
....football coach State has ever had or will have in the future. He takes the players he has and adapts a "system" to fit their talents and puts them in a position to win. He is also one helluva QB developer. That is all.

basedog
11-18-2020, 01:32 PM
Florida football program > Msu football program.

Has been a sleeping "blue blood program" until SS woke them up and it sure looks like DM has them on the rise.

I'd take a Coach who can take us to bowls regularly like DM even if they use Msu as stepping stone! To think Coaches are so loyal to a school and wouldn't jump to another program is pretty insane. There are probably less than a dozen Coaches that are so called "Loyal".

We aren't a blue blood and we will never be a blue blood, for those who disagree, well wake me up when we become Alabama or Ohio State type program. Ain't happening.

Btw, we can win so don't shoot the message! Our history approves this message along with a few other Sec schools.

Like I've stated many times, We Are A Baseball School!

Captain Falcon
11-18-2020, 03:09 PM

I have never understood this logic. This is a really hard place to win, just look at what we've become since Mullen left. If Mullen didn't work hard here, we would've continued to be a bottom feeder like we've been for the majority of our history. Mullen has some flaws as a coach, and there are certainly some areas he is lacking in, but effort is not one of them. Interviewing for other jobs is not the same thing as not trying at your current job, and not working hard at MSU would have sabotaged his own chances of getting a better job.

He left in 2017 because there were a ton of big jobs open that year, he was coming off his best season since 2014, and he had come closer to beating Bama than any other point in his career. Maybe he could've stuck around one more year and had another really good team, but the job market wasn't going to be nearly as good the following year. The time was right for him. Maybe you can complain about how the 2017 Egg Bowl was handled, because we can all agree that he knew it was his last game here, but it's not like we laid down and quit in that game. We win if Fitz doesn't get injured or if KT doesn't turn the ball over a ton, and in spite of that we mounted a big comeback late to get within 3 but fell just short.

The longer Mullen is gone and we continue to struggle, the weaker the arguments against him become.

Bothrops
11-18-2020, 05:54 PM
I have never understood this logic. This is a really hard place to win, just look at what we've become since Mullen left. If Mullen didn't work hard here, we would've continued to be a bottom feeder like we've been for the majority of our history. Mullen has some flaws as a coach, and there are certainly some areas he is lacking in, but effort is not one of them. Interviewing for other jobs is not the same thing as not trying at your current job, and not working hard at MSU would have sabotaged his own chances of getting a better job.

He left in 2017 because there were a ton of big jobs open that year, he was coming off his best season since 2014, and he had come closer to beating Bama than any other point in his career. Maybe he could've stuck around one more year and had another really good team, but the job market wasn't going to be nearly as good the following year. The time was right for him. Maybe you can complain about how the 2017 Egg Bowl was handled, because we can all agree that he knew it was his last game here, but it's not like we laid down and quit in that game. We win if Fitz doesn't get injured or if KT doesn't turn the ball over a ton, and in spite of that we mounted a big comeback late to get within 3 but fell just short.

The longer Mullen is gone and we continue to struggle, the weaker the arguments against him become.

It's simple, he thought he was bigger than our program, and put no effort in recruiting outside a 200mi radius. He was successful here because he's a good coach and had an offensive system that worked. You think he's gonna run marathons while at Florida?

Bothrops
11-18-2020, 05:56 PM
It's simple, he thought he was bigger than our program, and put no effort in recruiting outside a 200mi radius. He was successful here because he's a good coach and had an offensive system that worked. You think he's gonna run marathons while at Florida?

Turfdawg67
11-18-2020, 07:16 PM
Sure wish Mullen had never left us. Fla just might beat Bama. If so, I hope Mullen wins it all.

So we can incessantly hear how he only beats OOC teams, Arkansas, occasionally OM and two pansies on the East to go 7-5 or 8-4???

Yeah, I miss that too.

basedog
11-18-2020, 07:37 PM
So we can incessantly hear how he only beats OOC teams, Arkansas, occasionally OM and two pansies on the East to go 7-5 or 8-4???

Yeah, I miss that too.

Well show me a better or even 9 year Coaching run at MSU in football? I will hang up and listen***

Turfdawg67
11-18-2020, 07:45 PM
Well show me a better or even 9 year Coaching run at MSU in football? I will hang up and listen***

What are the sarcastericks for?? ***

basedog
11-18-2020, 08:04 PM
What are the sarcastericks for?? ***

Mostly just laughing, not really a jab at you or anyone. My bad.

Turfdawg67
11-18-2020, 08:14 PM
Mostly just laughing, not really a jab at you or anyone. My bad.

Ok... so, not being sarcastic. Anywho, you missed the whole point of my post in which I was indeed being sarcastic. See my last sentence. Should've finished it off with a "sigh"...

basedog
11-18-2020, 08:19 PM
Ok... so, not being sarcastic. Anywho, you missed the whole point of my post in which I was indeed being sarcastic. See my last sentence. Should've finished it off with a "sigh"...

LOL, actually I agree a lot from things you post.

Turfdawg67
11-18-2020, 08:41 PM
LOL, actually I agree a lot from things you post.

Ditto. And just to be clear, my original post was to Mullen (while he was here) haters.

Coach34
11-18-2020, 08:41 PM
Mullen is a damn good Coach
Mullen is a damn good talent evaluator
Mullen hates recruiting
Mullen always viewed State as a stepping stone
Mullen would never do what he should have in recruiting because he was scared of getting caught and ruining a chance at a bigger program.
Mullen worked hard for a bigger job each year
Mullen was usually distracted in November because he was working to get another job
Richt snaked him with Miami
It all worked out for him in the end because Foley ended up having to come back to him begging- Foley just made Strick do it instead.

Fla/Bama should be a very good football game

basedog
11-18-2020, 08:44 PM
Ditto. And just to be clear, my original post was to Mullen (while he was here) haters.

I understand, I’m pulling for the Gators to beat Bama. I really like Trask, his improvement is fun to watch weekly. He doesn’t make many mistakes.

Turfdawg67
11-18-2020, 08:45 PM
Mullen is a damn good Coach
Mullen is a damn good talent evaluator
Mullen hates recruiting
Mullen always viewed State as a stepping stone
Mullen would never do what he should have in recruiting because he was scared of getting caught and ruining a chance at a bigger program.
Mullen worked hard for a bigger job each year
Mullen was usually distracted in November because he was working to get another job
Richt snaked him with Miami
It all worked out for him in the end because Foley ended up having to come back to him begging- Foley just made Strick do it instead.

Fla/Bama should be a very good football game

Wow! Yes, yes, yes, etc...

And despite Mullen's "usual" offensive strategy, Trask has transformed him and they could very well beat Bama. Depends much on Grantham.