PDA

View Full Version : Rendering on Alabama baseball stadium renovations:

messageboardsuperhero
11-08-2013, 10:36 AM
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/518/140/1140518.jpg

It looks good, but we can do better if Stricklin goes all out like it seems he will right now. Thank God someone got in his ear about DNF. We've got to stay ahead of them if we want to continue taking recruits from that state.

bgover4
11-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Is that their answer to the LFL?

hailmari
11-08-2013, 10:53 AM
As long as we don't have a parking lot right behind outfield too..

messageboardsuperhero
11-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Is that their answer to the LFL?

A few SEC teams already have berms behind RF for students. It's a growing trend.

Hell, I'm really hoping we do something similar in our RF- it would be great to get the students more involved.

ckDOG
11-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Meh.

engie
11-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I like it, but I see a few things I would term as design flaws...Looks like they are dropping the field. That's good. Doing it without a 360* concourse - wasted opportunity.

Are there more renderings out there that can give us a better idea? To be honest, I'm underwhelmed by this one. Was more impressed by the prelim sketch of Dudy Noble...

CJDAWG85
11-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Was more impressed by the prelim sketch of Dudy Noble...

Do you have a link or a pic those?

messageboardsuperhero
11-08-2013, 11:27 AM
That's the only picture I can find at this point.

I agree that this isn't nearly up to par with LSU or USCe, and there's no reason ours shouldn't be considerably better. This will pretty much put them on par with UM and A&M. I'll never understand why schools would spend $20-28 mil. on their baseball stadium without going the open concourse route. That's just a bad investment.

Goat Holder
11-08-2013, 11:33 AM
How nice the stadium is pales in comparison to how many people show up for games. Look at Auburn, their stadium is helping them too much, and it's state of the art and smaller, similar to this one.

messageboardsuperhero
11-08-2013, 11:56 AM
How nice the stadium is pales in comparison to how many people show up for games.

That may be true, but more people will buy tickets and show up to games if Stricklin rebuilds the stadium and makes it the nicest in college baseball.

Look at Auburn, their stadium is helping them too much, and it's state of the art and smaller, similar to this one.

I don't really get your point. Nobody is saying we shouldn't build a stadium with more capacity than Alabama and Auburn.

601Dawg
11-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Stricklin has a lot of things in the next 18 months that will make or break his legacy as the MSU AD.

The renovations/remodeling/building Dudy Noble is going to be at the top of the list.

engie
11-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Do you have a link or a pic those?
No. There is one going around as a "for your eyes only" kinda deal... It's not online, and I don't really expect it to be until they have a more distinct plan of a long-term direction of the project. It's a very early drawing(I'm not even sure which architect it came from).

Kinda like these of Davis Wade that actually made it online:
http://www.sectalk.com/boards/images/imported/2010/06/msu_stadium_expansion_southJPG-1.jpg

Goat Holder
11-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I don't really get your point. Nobody is saying we shouldn't build a stadium with more capacity than Alabama and Auburn.

The "is" should be "isn't". My point was that our fans make the program, not the stadium. No matter how nice the stadium is. But sure I'd love a great stadium too. Certainly helps.

BDAWG8
11-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Didn't Alabama start the berm project during the season? It also looks like The Joe is just getting a facelift more than anything w/ the brick facade. I think they might be moving the bullpens as well but from inside the stadium it doesn't look much different. That's just based off that rendering, could be wrong.

engie
11-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Pretty sure $35mil gets alot more than what this appears to be...

BDAWG8
11-08-2013, 05:57 PM
It may get an indoor along the side of the stadium. The last time I was there the indoor facilities were across the street in Coleman. I was also talking more about the seating. The seating doesn't look like it changed based off of that picture.

messageboardsuperhero
11-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Pretty sure $35mil gets alot more than what this appears to be...

$35 mil? Last I saw UA was planing on spending $25 to $30 mil. max. And yeah, there's no doubt more to this than what is just in this picture.

bully99
11-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Can engie break down the sight lines on that place and whether anybody will get cricks in their neck.

Homedawg
11-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Didn't Alabama start the berm project during the season? It also looks like The Joe is just getting a facelift more than anything w/ the brick facade. I think they might be moving the bullpens as well but from inside the stadium it doesn't look much different. That's just based off that rendering, could be wrong.

For one thing, the roof line is completely different, it extends out more and is longer as well. But clearly, there has to be way more under for that to be the cost of the project.

engie
11-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Can engie break down the sight lines on that place and whether anybody will get cricks in their neck.

Sure. Sight lines are bad ass. Not a bad seat in the house. Exactly like our new stadium's will be.

messageboardsuperhero
11-09-2013, 08:56 AM
The "is" should be "isn't". My point was that our fans make the program, not the stadium. No matter how nice the stadium is. But sure I'd love a great stadium too. Certainly helps.

Oh, no doubt our fans have always made our program, rather than the stadium. That's how I know we can tear down the grandstand without skipping a beat.

My biggest problem with the current grandstand is that the terrible design makes it extremely difficult for us to attract new fans. NOBODY wants to come to the game and sit in the bleachers. And we could extend the seats to the foul poles while coating the seats in gold and platinum, but nobody will want to sit in those either because the won't be able to see the field. It is very difficult for a new fan to enjoy watching baseball when they have a crappy seat and can't see the game.

berr6728
11-09-2013, 05:27 PM
I can't believe all you idiots wanting to tear down DNF and rebuild. Nothing wrong with DNF if we rework sky boxes and add more chair backs where bleachers are. Run sky boxes from foul line to foul line. Build new press box above sky boxes. Take top 3 chair back rows of seats out and build a walking area from foul lint to foul line with 4 sets of restrooms and 2 large concessions. Then come back and build a bern in right field from right foul line toward scoreboard. Just my 2 cents worth. Have watched baseball at State for 54 years.

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
1-225-205-1499
berr6728@bellsouth.net

Todd4State
11-09-2013, 05:40 PM
I can't believe all you idiots wanting to tear down DNF and rebuild. Nothing wrong with DNF if we rework sky boxes and add more chair backs where bleachers are. Run sky boxes from foul line to foul line. Build new press box above sky boxes. Take top 3 chair back rows of seats out and build a walking area from foul lint to foul line with 4 sets of restrooms and 2 large concessions. Then come back and build a bern in right field from right foul line toward scoreboard. Just my 2 cents worth. Have watched baseball at State for 54 years.

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
1-225-205-1499
berr6728@bellsouth.net

It's impossible to do that with the way the stadium is currently designed. That's one reason why us- ahem, "idiots"- want to tear the grandstand down and rebuild. If we did what you are suggesting the grandstand would extend into fair territory or have horrible sight lines. All we want is the best stadium in America and one that is more comfortable and fan/family friendly than the current one.

Just remember- we're also the same "idiots" that wanted Polk fired, Cohen hired and you're probably among the people (I'm sure you are about to deny that but some of your box mates were in that group) that wanted Cohen fired for saying a dirty word in the dugout.

I have watched MSU baseball for 30+ years, been to two World Series, one CWS, one SR, the SEC Tournament, the C-USA Tournament, participated in four spring training minor league camps during college on spring break with the Kansas City Royals, seven DM Howie HS All-Star games, several HS State Title games for all classes, and the Southern League Championship.

AlSwearengen
11-09-2013, 05:49 PM

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
1-225-205-1499
berr6728@bellsouth.net

Don't know what to say.

Ronny
11-09-2013, 06:12 PM
It's impossible to do that with the way the stadium is currently designed. That's one reason why us- ahem, "idiots"- want to tear the grandstand down and rebuild. If we did what you are suggesting the grandstand would extend into fair territory or have horrible sight lines. All we want is the best stadium in America and one that is more comfortable and fan/family friendly than the current one.

Just remember- we're also the same "idiots" that wanted Polk fired, Cohen hired and you're probably among the people (I'm sure you are about to deny that but some of your box mates were in that group) that wanted Cohen fired for saying a dirty word in the dugout.

I have watched MSU baseball for 30+ years, been to two World Series, one CWS, one SR, the SEC Tournament, the C-USA Tournament, participated in four spring training minor league camps during college on spring break with the Kansas City Royals, seven DM Howie HS All-Star games, several HS State Title games for all classes, and the Southern League Championship.

..to mention you have attended every governor/mayor's trophy game since 1966.

Todd4State
11-09-2013, 06:19 PM
..to mention you have attended every governor/mayor's trophy game since 1966.

True. I am ashamed that I forgot that now.

engie
11-09-2013, 07:15 PM

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
1-225-205-1499
berr6728@bellsouth.net

Jeez, not this again...

MsStateBaseball
11-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Do we think we are top 10 college baseball program since 1979? Top 15? We need a top stadium. Only way to do hrs is tear down and build new one.

berr6728
11-09-2013, 08:59 PM
You are still an idiot. I did not want Polk rehired . I was not for Raffo. I was not for Cohen either. But he is our coach and I support him and MY baseball dogs by making every home game as well as all away games. Doing this and living in Louisiana some 4 1/2 to 5 hours away from Starkville. I have been to 17 straight CWS and 25 overall. I feel that we do not have to follow or try to keep up with the Jones's. If you talk to any recruit in last 10 to 12 years they will tell you the configuration of the stadium was not the reason they came to MISSISSIPPI STATE but the atmosphere, You will not change the atmosphere by building another stadium. No question we need changes but not as drastic as building a new stadium.

messageboardsuperhero
11-09-2013, 09:04 PM

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
1-225-205-1499
berr6728@bellsouth.net

I do respect your opinion and you have every right to that opinion, but what you are describing is architecturally impossible. We cannot extend the chairbacks because of the sightlines that have been discussed repeatedly. We also can't do much to the skyboxes or pressbox because of their proximity to the Hump.

Everyone should probably get used to the idea of a new grandstand- at the very least, that is almost definitely going to happen, and it will be a GREAT thing for our program. And yes, I do understand your attachment to the current stadium. My father is a lifetime ticket holder, and I practically grew up at DNF. At the same time, we need to move forward if we want to consistently have a nationally competitive baseball program over the next 20 years.

messageboardsuperhero
11-09-2013, 09:09 PM
You are still an idiot. I did not want Polk rehired . I was not for Raffo. I was not for Cohen either. But he is our coach and I support him and MY baseball dogs by making every home game as well as all away games. Doing this and living in Louisiana some 4 1/2 to 5 hours away from Starkville. I have been to 17 straight CWS and 25 overall. I feel that we do not have to follow or try to keep up with the Jones's. If you talk to any recruit in last 10 to 12 years they will tell you the configuration of the stadium was not the reason they came to MISSISSIPPI STATE but the atmosphere, You will not change the atmosphere by building another stadium. No question we need changes but not as drastic as building a new stadium.

Here's the bottom line- LSU tore down one of the most historic and "magical" stadiums in all of college baseball. So can we.

What did they get? A great new stadium that allows them to reach new fans and provide a great experience for EVERYONE. And guess what else? The atmosphere at the new Box is just as good, if not better than it was at the old Box.

smootness
11-09-2013, 09:14 PM
I feel that we do not have to follow or try to keep up with the Jones's. If you talk to any recruit in last 10 to 12 years they will tell you the configuration of the stadium was not the reason they came to MISSISSIPPI STATE but the atmosphere, You will not change the atmosphere by building another stadium. No question we need changes but not as drastic as building a new stadium.

But why wouldn't you want to? If we have the money and capability of doing it, why not? It would be insane not to if you could. That would be like Alabama saying, 'Why do we need a new weight room? That one may be 30 years old, but no recruits come here for the weight room. They come here for the history, winning, etc. So just keep what we have.' It doesn't make sense.

And our coach himself said that facilities matter quite a bit in recruiting. We may not have gotten anyone in the last 10-12 years based on how great DNF is. But we won't change the atmosphere by building a new stadium, as you said yourself. So why not keep pulling in the recruits who come for the stadium, get some more who would come for the stadium, and make the experience better for fans in general?

Once again, your argument in relation to recruiting is akin to a company that makes cupcakes saying, 'Why do we need to improve the taste? Sure, it isn't as good as some others, but no one buys our cupcakes for the taste; they buy it for the brand name.' Well, yeah, no one buys them for the taste because the taste isn't very good. So keep the brand name and make them taste better, and you get more customers!

Todd4State
11-09-2013, 09:15 PM

I'm an idiot why? If you have been following baseball that long, you realize that in the game you have to keep moving forward. If you don't- you fall behind. That's EXACTLY what happened to us as a program- no matter how you feel or whom you supported. Just like engie has said before- we need to BE the Jones's. Having an outdated stadium sends the wrong message.

We will actually have a BETTER atmosphere if we build a new stadium. Don't believe me? Ask your LSU neighbors. Do you think Busch Stadium III has affected the atmosphere in St. Louis, or the new Yankee Stadium in New York? Do you think the atmosphere is worse in Omaha now that they have a new stadium?

You are the typical fan that is "scared" that if we change something- all will somehow be lost. When in reality change in this case is almost guaranteed to be better. That or you are scared that you are going to lose your seat in Box 13. And by the way this "idiot" has advocated that people like you that are loyal to the program get the best seats in the new stadium.

messageboardsuperhero
11-09-2013, 09:21 PM

Also, if you talk to recruits in the last 10-12, most of those players were brought in at a time when DNF was still a top flight stadium. That's just not the case anymore. It's not hurting us RIGHT NOW, but if we don't do something about it ASAP, it will hurt us in the future with recruiting.

It already kills us when we try to attract new fans, so that's reason enough to start over right there.

berr6728
11-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Todd 4State I am 72 years old and am not scared of anything including YOU. I have no desire to follow any other school in the SEC. You and the Athletic Department need to listen to more than you young whippersnappers about what is economical in this day and age of economical problems. When the die hearts like my self die out, you will not have the following in baseball from the younger generation. I hate to say it this way but it is what it is. The younger generation will not purchase season tickets in baseball and your new stadium will be half empty except on weekends I stated early. Proof will be this coming season ticket sales. Your old ticket holders will renew but you will not have new young apps for chair backs. We used to have a waiting list for chair back but that has changed in last 2 to 3 years.

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
1-225-205-1499
berr6728@bellsouth.net

Todd4State
11-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Todd 4State I am 72 years old and am not scared of anything including YOU. I have no desire to follow any other school in the SEC. You and the Athletic Department need to listen to more than you young whippersnappers about what is economical in this day and age of economical problems. When the die hearts like my self die out, you will not have the following in baseball from the younger generation. I hate to say it this way but it is what it is. The younger generation will not purchase season tickets in baseball and your new stadium will be half empty except on weekends I stated early. Proof will be this coming season ticket sales. Your old ticket holders will renew but you will not have new young apps for chair backs. We used to have a waiting list for chair back but that has changed in last 2 to 3 years.

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
1-225-205-1499
berr6728@bellsouth.net

WTF? I'm not trying to "scare you" and I'm not scared of you either. LOL.

So, just because we don't have the younger generation involved, we shouldn't try to get them back into the fold? The younger generation doesn't think that they can get seats and that is why they don't get them. And we have to find a way to that so that we can keep what we have going.

engie
11-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
1-225-205-1499
berr6728@bellsouth.net

You couldn't be more wrong in everything you've said. I just don't feel like having the fight right now to tear it apart piece by piece.

Poor ole MSU -- gotta stay 6th best in the west -- because one old ticket holder said so!!1!1 No reason to have or strive for more in the one sport where we ARE and SHOULD BE the Jones's. But, hey, got to be frugal in these economic(al) problems plaguing college athletics right now. I mean, after all, our athletics dept only brought in SEVENTY MILLION DOLLARS last year -- en route to being worth $100 MILLION by FY 2015. It's amazing that we managed to keep the damn lights cut on...

Ever stop to think that the reason we don't have the young fanbase is because your generation bought all the good seats -- pushing a large percentage of my generation out to the bleachers and thus making their Dudy Noble experiences generally MISERABLE -- thus giving them less desire to reinvest? I personally know 20+ people that would buy season tickets if they could get chairbacks -- and I bet most of us around the age of 30 are in similar circumstances.

messageboardsuperhero
11-09-2013, 11:38 PM
You couldn't be more wrong in everything you've said. I just don't feel like having the fight right now to tear it apart piece by piece.

Poor ole MSU -- gotta stay 6th best in the west -- because one old ticket holder said so!!1!1 No reason to have or strive for more in the one sport where we ARE and SHOULD BE the Jones's. But, hey, got to be frugal in these economic(al) problems plaguing college athletics right now. I mean, after all, our athletics dept only brought in SEVENTY MILLION DOLLARS last year -- en route to being worth $100 MILLION by FY 2015. It's amazing that we managed to keep the damn lights cut on...

Ever stop to think that the reason we don't have the young fanbase is because your generation bought all the good seats -- pushing a large percentage of my generation out to the bleachers and thus making their Dudy Noble experiences generally MISERABLE -- thus giving them less desire to reinvest? I personally know 20+ people that would buy season tickets if they could get chairbacks -- and I bet most of us around the age of 30 are in similar circumstances.

Exactly. I swear, it seems like some (not all but some) of these lifetimers are bound and determined to not let anyone other than a "Good Ole Boy" get a decent seat at DNF. I mean, I don't blame them for buying the tickets and I'm glad they do, but my God, they act like nobody else is allowed to enjoy State baseball.

And I've heard TONS of these people say "It wouldn't be fair for the administration to take our seats away!!1!11" Well, I'd say it's incredibly unfair for the same people to have great seats for decades, while lots (again, not all but there are a good many) of them don't donate a dime to the school and an entire generation of State grads are shut out of DNF. Especially considering there are many younger people who would pay more for those seats but don't have the opportunity because they're already locked up. I'm not saying Darryl's support isn't awesome, because it is. I just want other people to have the chance to support the baseball program too, and the best way to do that is to rebuild the grandstand.

messageboardsuperhero
11-09-2013, 11:45 PM

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
1-225-205-1499
berr6728@bellsouth.net

What in the hell? Nobody's trying to "scare" anybody else. We're just having a conversation. Relax.

Todd4State
11-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Exactly. I swear, it seems like some (not all but some) of these lifetimers are bound and determined to not let anyone other than a "Good Ole Boy" get a decent seat at DNF. I mean, I don't blame them for buying the tickets and I'm glad they do, but my God, they act like nobody else is allowed to enjoy State baseball.

And I've heard TONS of these people say "It wouldn't be fair for the administration to take our seats away!!1!11" Well, I'd say it's incredibly unfair for the same people to have great seats for decades, while lots (again, not all but there are a good many) of them don't donate a dime to the school and an entire generation of State grads are shut out of DNF. Especially considering there are many younger people who would pay more for those seats but don't have the opportunity because they're already locked up. I'm not saying Darryl's support isn't awesome, because it is. I just want other people to have the chance to support the baseball program too, and the best way to do that is to rebuild the grandstand.

Spot on. And the kicker is that once the new stadium is built, they may get even better seats than what they had. It's like that thought has never occurred to them.

I'm OK with people that have had great seats for years and come to the games getting good seats in the new stadium. But I also think they should belong to the Bulldog Club.

I don't think Scott or anyone else is trying to put the screws to them. It's just that for us to continue to be a powerhouse in baseball, we have to continue to move our program forward or we will get passed by again. I bet a lot of those same fans back in 2001 thought that there was no way in hell that Ole Miss would ever pass us in baseball- but it happened for a little while because we decided to try to stay the same instead of being progressive. The SEC is so competitive in baseball that you can not afford to sit around.

I think being progressive is going to be even more paramount because baseball is going to be on TV more and more- and that's going to allow us to expand our brand even more than before. An empty grandstand with ratty looking bleachers are not saying to the world- "hey, we care about baseball here."

And we all have to compromise a little bit. I'm not real wild about a playground to be honest with you. But if it's something that people want- that's fine with me.

Will James
11-10-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm anti playground where I can see it. Really I'm anti playground. Either let the diamond gals babysit them in the Palmeiro Center or leave junior at home. It shouldn't be an integral part but Strick is all about "the family experience" bs. If Junior wants to come let him get his experience watching baseball.

messageboardsuperhero
11-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Spot on. And the kicker is that once the new stadium is built, they may get even better seats than what they had. It's like that thought has never occurred to them.

A lot of people don't realize how much better the quality of seats are in a modern, MiLB grandstand. Once they see it, they'll never want the old DNF back.

I'm OK with people that have had great seats for years and come to the games getting good seats in the new stadium. But I also think they should belong to the Bulldog Club.

Yep, that's how I see it too. If people have supported the school and the baseball program for years, I'm fine with giving them a seating priority as long as they're willing to pay the yearly donation to keep the seat.

I don't think Scott or anyone else is trying to put the screws to them. It's just that for us to continue to be a powerhouse in baseball, we have to continue to move our program forward or we will get passed by again. I bet a lot of those same fans back in 2001 thought that there was no way in hell that Ole Miss would ever pass us in baseball- but it happened for a little while because we decided to try to stay the same instead of being progressive. The SEC is so competitive in baseball that you can not afford to sit around.

I think being progressive is going to be even more paramount because baseball is going to be on TV more and more- and that's going to allow us to expand our brand even more than before. An empty grandstand with ratty looking bleachers are not saying to the world- "hey, we care about baseball here."

We've got to adjust and stay ahead of the curve- no doubt about it.

And we all have to compromise a little bit. I'm not real wild about a playground to be honest with you. But if it's something that people want- that's fine with me.

Yeah, I've always hated the idea of a kiddie playground in a ballpark, but if it helps us attract young families, that's an okay compromise. I won't complain.

messageboardsuperhero
11-10-2013, 12:19 AM
I'm anti playground where I can see it. Really I'm anti playground. Either let the diamond gals babysit them in the Palmeiro Center or leave junior at home. It shouldn't be an integral part but Strick is all about "the family experience" bs. If Junior wants to come let him get his experience watching baseball.

Yeah, if we've got to have one, we should put it off to the side somewhere. I hate how UM's takes up space so close to the field. All the kids yelling and running around totally distracts fans sitting in that area from the game. If we really need one, I'd put it in one of the far corners of the stadium- maybe set up a picnic table area for parents who could watch the game in front of them while keeping an eye on their kids behind them.

Will James
11-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Yeah, if we've got to have one, we should put it off to the side somewhere. I hate how UM's takes up space so close to the field. All the kids yelling and running around totally distracts fans sitting in that area from the game. If we really need one, I'd put it in one of the far corners of the stadium- maybe set up a picnic table area for parents who could watch the game in front of them while keeping an eye on their kids behind them.

Ive said the VERY back area of center field. WAY WAY back there like the grassy area when you come through the back gate to the immediate right. Right along the fence line. Or shit we don't have a problem with attendance or anything we shouldn't minor league it up just forget about it. I want an MLB atmosphere not minor league gimmicks

messageboardsuperhero
11-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Ive said the VERY back area of center field. WAY WAY back there like the grassy area when you come through the back gate to the immediate right. Right along the fence line. Or shit we don't have a problem with attendance or anything we shouldn't minor league it up just forget about it. I want an MLB atmosphere not minor league gimmicks

That works too. Just keep that shit away from the fans who actually want to watch and enjoy the game.

AlSwearengen
11-10-2013, 08:27 AM
This is typical MSU fan ideology. In football, they want to play Oregon, Texas, etc. and lose. In baseball, they would rather have the best seats at a dump while watching the team lose, as opposed to having the second best seats in the best ballpark in the country and win multiple national titles.