PDA

View Full Version : Share my Military Experience

coachnorm
11-08-2020, 09:08 PM
remembrance sunday 2020

I thought I'd share something personal with elitedoggers. Yes I have a coaching career to be proud of, but my bigger pride is the US Navy. I served in the UK a little over three years outside Glasgow, Scotland and learned local culture. On Armistice Day the Sunday before is Remembrance Sunday. The whole of the British Commonwealth shuts down for two minutes of remembrance. This ceremony is practiced even in small towns and hamlets throughout. All facilities will fall silent, even in Canada. Drivers will pull over and park then get out of the car in silence. Children are taught this early in life. The people standing in silence are standing for Americans too. On Armistice Day, November 11th, all children in school will stand in silence from 10:58 to 11:00 in the UK. The stores and airports etc will fall silent too. What do we do at home in America like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8dL78edn5Q

Liverpooldawg
11-08-2020, 09:12 PM
AWESOME. I assume you were at Dunoon. We have some good friends there we met on our travels.

coachnorm
11-08-2020, 09:19 PM
AWESOME. I assume you were at Dunoon. We have some good friends there we met on our travels.

My command Site One Submarine Squadron 14 was outside Dunoon. I commuted and lived in Glasgow for the awesome social life. The best years of my life age 18 to 22.

Liverpooldawg
11-08-2020, 09:53 PM
delete

Liverpooldawg
11-08-2020, 09:55 PM
My command Site One Submarine Squadron 14 was outside Dunoon. I commuted and lived in Glasgow for the awesome social life. The best years of my life age 18 to 22.

Holy Loch. One of our friends works for the Majestic Line small boat cruise line that is based there now. We have never been but we want to go. She grew up there and remembers the USN fondly. We have been to Oban and cruised from Skye down to Jura. AWESOME waters. We also did a Princess Cruise that called at Grenock. The Firth of Clyde is incredible.

coachnorm
11-09-2020, 12:11 AM
remembrance sunday 2020

I thought I'd share something personal with elitedoggers. Yes I have a coaching career to be proud of, but my bigger pride is the US Navy. I served in the UK a little over three years outside Glasgow, Scotland and learned local culture. On Armistice Day the Sunday before is Remembrance Sunday. The whole of the British Commonwealth shuts down for two minutes of remembrance. This ceremony is practiced even in small towns and hamlets throughout. All facilities will fall silent, even in Canada. Drivers will pull over and park then get out of the car in silence. Children are taught this early in life. The people standing in silence are standing for Americans too. On Armistice Day, November 11th, all children in school will stand in silence from 10:58 to 11:00 in the UK. The stores and airports etc will fall silent too. What do we do at home in America like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiFejXviaJg

parabrave
11-09-2020, 01:10 AM
remembrance sunday 2020

Not a dam thing/ The kids are still in school. You ask them what is veterans day and you get the blank stare. Welcome to American education. I'm a disabled vet, Parachute accident at FT. Bragg, and yes it totally pisses me off.

Dannyripms
11-09-2020, 02:48 AM
One of my biggest regrets in life was not joining the military. Even if i only did 4 years.

SaintDawg
11-09-2020, 07:37 AM
remembrance sunday 2020

Thank you for your service I'm prior Navy myself. USS Independence CV62. '94-'97, AO. Ship's Company, magazine and flight deck ordnanceman.

Jack Lambert
11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
Thank you for your service I'm prior Navy myself. USS Independence CV62. '94-'97, AO. Ship's Company, magazine and flight deck ordnanceman.

What class carrier was that? My uncle was a GMMC on the USS Constellation during Vietnam.

Jack Lambert
11-09-2020, 08:45 AM
Not a dam thing/ The kids are still in school. You ask them what is veterans day and you get the blank stare. Welcome to American education. I'm a disabled vet, Parachute accident at FT. Bragg, and yes it totally pisses me off.

My two high school kids know. It might be because of me and my dad but they know and respect veterans. I gave my car to my son and he wants me to remove the Veterans tag. He says he did not earn the right to have that tag.

SaintDawg
11-09-2020, 09:31 AM
What class carrier was that? My uncle was a GMMC on the USS Constellation during Vietnam.

Indy was originally CVA. Forrestal class. The Connie was a Kitty Hawk class.

Jack Lambert
11-09-2020, 09:54 AM

Was the USS America Kitty Hawk Class or Forrestal Class?

parabrave
11-09-2020, 10:23 AM

Name the Famous Naval Aviator who flew off the Connie in 1972 shot down 4 Migs in a day. The final scene in Top Gun was based on him/

SaintDawg
11-09-2020, 10:36 AM
Was the USS America Kitty Hawk Class or Forrestal Class?
America was Kitty Hawk Class. There were 4: Kitty, Connie, America & JFK. JFK was kinda of its own class but a variant of Kitty class.

SaintDawg
11-09-2020, 10:40 AM
Name the Famous Naval Aviator who flew off the Connie in 1972 shot down 4 Migs in a day. The final scene in Top Gun was based on him/

Duke Cunningham?

BrunswickDawg
11-09-2020, 11:05 AM

That's not been my experience. My kids' schools made a pretty big deal about Veteran's Day. We even have a local parade - lots of scout troops and school groups and HS marching bands all particiapte.

parabrave
11-09-2020, 11:15 AM
Duke Cunningham?

Good one. Who was his RIO and who was the famous NV Pilot he shot down>

SaintDawg
11-09-2020, 11:26 AM
Good one. Who was his RIO and who was the famous NV Pilot he shot down>
No idea. My knowledge goes so far.

parabrave
11-09-2020, 11:49 AM
No idea. My knowledge goes so far.

Andy Driscoll and Col Tu was the NVAF top Ace. Read about it and I can't remember the book.