PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk expectations

Cooterpoot
11-08-2020, 08:55 AM
I never expected to win many games this year. I thought we'd win 4. Possibly up to 6 if everything went right (I was stupid).. I was ok with that if we scored some points because offense has been our issue. I thought we'd be a little more like OM has been. That hasn't happened. We've been bad on offense. Worst I've ever seen, I think. Now, we've got to let Leach get his players. We don't have the players to run this system. He's got at least 3 years, possibly 4 from what I've heard. Cohen is now tied to this hire. So settle in and pray we're wrong about this scheme. Nothing we can do. At least the defense is solid and our S/C program is improved. Need the offense to get players and we'll see....
Hope the team doesn't fold. That would be a killer. But expect a number of transfers out end of season. Hopefully we can get a transfer or two as well.

Cowbell
11-08-2020, 09:03 AM
I never expected to win many games this year. I thought we'd win 4. Possibly up to 6 if everything went right (I was stupid).. I was ok with that if we scored some points because offense has been our issue. I thought we'd be a little more like OM has been. That hasn't happened. We've been bad on offense. Worst I've ever seen, I think. Now, we've got to let Leach get his players. We don't have the players to run this system. He's got at least 3 years, possibly 4 from what I've heard. Cohen is now tied to this hire. So settle in and pray we're wrong about this scheme. Nothing we can do. At least the defense is solid and our S/C program is improved. Need the offense to get players and we'll see....
Hope the team doesn't fold. That would be a killer. But expect a number of transfers out end of season. Hopefully we can get a transfer or two as well.

This is the way I feel as well. Leach is a smart guy and You can tell this is driving him crazy. I have a feeling that he will make adjustments to his scheme this offseason. I feel like Leach might have gotten complacent after the Tech debacle and at WSU while everyone else has been evolving their schemes. He has enough good coaches around him to help him do that.

I also hope We can hold onto Arnette.

Hambone
11-08-2020, 09:06 AM
I said 15 transfers minimum at the beginning of his tenure and was laughed at by this board. Y’all should have taken the over.

It’s going to take at least a year or two to get the players he needs. The O line may be the biggest issue at this point which is something Mississippi is not really known for producing year in and year out. Two more seconds per snap can greatly increase the production in this offense.

Dawgfan77
11-08-2020, 09:06 AM
It won't matter if he gets "his" players this offense will not work in the SEC.
1. The DL are to big, fast and physical, much more so than he faced at TT or WSU. The fact that most can sit in a 3 man front and all they have to do is bull rush because there no threat to run. Get there hands up and take away throwing lanes
2. The LBs in this league are as fast as safety's in other league. Drop into coverage. Short pass LBs come up and make a tackle for a short gain. Bring one Lb or edge rush on 3rd down with and empty back set and it's a sack a quick throw or a rushed INT.
3. Secondary can just free wheel it. As long as they don't get behind you no much coverage needed in the zone. Why? Because the DL is getting pressure and the QBs take the check down route which is to a back and you have the LBs and safety's to come up for support which leads to a minimum gain.

That's just three reasons. I could go on and on. Fact is this will never work in the SEC.

KOdawg1
11-08-2020, 09:13 AM
1. The DL are to big, fast and physical, much more so than he faced at TT or WSU. The fact that most can sit in a 3 man front and all they have to do is bull rush because there no threat to run. Get there hands up and take away throwing lanes
2. The LBs in this league are as fast as safety's in other league. Drop into coverage. Short pass LBs come up and make a tackle for a short gain. Bring one Lb or edge rush on 3rd down with and empty back set and it's a sack a quick throw or a rushed INT.
3. Secondary can just free wheel it. As long as they don't get behind you no much coverage needed in the zone. Why? Because the DL is getting pressure and the QBs take the check down route which is to a back and you have the LBs and safety's to come up for support which leads to a minimum gain.

That's just three reasons. I could go on and on. Fact is this will never work in the SEC.
This. I will repeat what has been said many times. If you can't pose a threat running the ball, this offense will never work in the SEC

Cooterpoot
11-08-2020, 09:20 AM

I didn't say it would work. I said we have no choice but to let him get his players and pray we're wrong. 3-4 years of bitching isn't going to change anything. It's one thing to bitch during/after a game. It's another to beat a dead horse.

Dawgfan77
11-08-2020, 09:25 AM
I didn't say it would work. I said we have no choice but to let him get his players and pray we're wrong. 3-4 years of bitching isn't going to change anything. It's one thing to bitch during/after a game. It's another to beat a dead horse.
True but I wanted to point out three reason why it won't work so people will understand that we shouldn't give him "time" or wait til he gets his players in. Sorry I'm beating a dead horse just wanted to point out why it won't work

msugolf
11-08-2020, 09:26 AM
I said 15 transfers minimum at the beginning of his tenure and was laughed at by this board. Y?all should have taken the over.

It?s going to take at least a year or two to get the players he needs. The O line may be the biggest issue at this point which is something Mississippi is not really known for producing year in and year out. Two more seconds per snap can greatly increase the production in this offense.

Where and who are these "players" he needs?

Cooterpoot
11-08-2020, 09:34 AM
True but I wanted to point out three reason why it won't work so people will understand that we shouldn't give him "time" or wait til he gets his players in. Sorry I'm beating a dead horse just wanted to point out why it won't work

He's not getting fired. We can't pay the buyout. We're Covid broke. He's here. That's why calling for firing him is pointless. And I've done it. But I'm settling in hoping it works out. If it doesn't, at least the consolation prize is a new AD.

DeltaChicagoDog
11-08-2020, 09:37 AM
FWIW he said in his post game presser yesterday that they were going to have to make some adjustments. But who knows what that means to him...

chef dixon
11-08-2020, 09:40 AM
Our D has no quit in them. They are prideful and look like they have fun

bluelightstar
11-08-2020, 09:43 AM
If Leach is here for four years putting up 200 yards a game, there won’t be 100 fans in the stands.

Turfdawg67
11-08-2020, 09:43 AM
If we do get a new coach, I'm ready to go back to an eager, offensive minded coach. Someone like Oregon's OC, that O was legit yesterday. ***

basedog
11-08-2020, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure Leach will recruit what he needs.

Cooterpoot
11-08-2020, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure Leach will recruit what he needs.

He's already got his QB and WRs committed. Just needs to find the OL and start filling in from there.

Offshore Dawg
11-08-2020, 10:21 AM
When you are playing with 3* and walk-on's against 4* & 5* players that ass is going to get beat most of the time.

Cooterpoot
11-08-2020, 10:24 AM
FWIW he said in his post game presser yesterday that they were going to have to make some adjustments. But who knows what that means to him...

He also said they've been playing with "training wheels" on because they can't handle everything yet. Said they're about to start pushing them to do more now.

Maroonthirteen
11-08-2020, 10:27 AM
I hoped for 6 wins but expected fewer. However my expectation was to have this scoreboard tilting offense win or lose. As you say; OM type production. I bought into the Leach hype rather than really studying his body of work. You'll see he was often held to 2 Tds in many games at WSU and TT.

My expectations now, after all the hints from Cohens media blitz last week and now a few of you guys saying he is here for 3 more years, is 3 years of 3-5 wins. Then a Real total rebuild in 2024.

defiantdog
11-08-2020, 10:39 AM
Every player (excluding the true freshmen) is used to a run first offense..... And now we're expecting them to just pick up a pass first offense without any spring training. Yes..... Leach should adapt, but he's not. It's gonna take time, but I don't think we have the patience for that.

Mobile Bay
11-08-2020, 10:43 AM
nm

msbulldog
11-08-2020, 10:48 AM

Coot you are so right, I don't think I could put up with 3-4 more years of bitching. Hell the last 3 years has mostly been bitching. I can get an Ole Miss board on 247 and at least I find great comedy in their bitching.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cooterpoot again.

basedog
11-08-2020, 10:51 AM
I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be an ED message board without the bitching****

I defended JoeMo to the very end, but I ain't going down another dead end street.

HoopsDawg
11-08-2020, 10:55 AM
If people are bitching at least they still care. I'm very, very close to not caring. I can't watch this shitastic offense much more. It's incredibly boring.

msbulldog
11-08-2020, 11:39 AM
If people are bitching at least they still care. I'm very, very close to not caring. I can't watch this shitastic offense much more. It's incredibly boring.

I just can't change my leopard spots after 55 years as a Mississippi State University fan and a Alum. I'll just suffer through, The Good Lord knows I have plenty of experience! I'll just be this way until they put me and my cowbell in the ground. HAIL STATE!

basedog
11-08-2020, 01:18 PM
I just can't change my leopard spots after 55 years as a Mississippi State University fan and a Alum. I'll just suffer through, The Good Lord knows I have plenty of experience! I'll just be this way until they put me and my cowbell in the ground. HAIL STATE!

+1 It's never easy being a Msu Dawg!

R2Dawg
11-08-2020, 01:53 PM

First, the win expectations by most was due to our D being real bad. Most assured it. I said we would be good not great. We are better than I thought too. On O we thought we'd be slightly even or better than Joe. No one thought worst in America.

The gotta get his players is an overused coach speak. Like JWS used to say, every team has 300lb linemen and fast athletes, it is what coaches do with them that matters. Put them in a position to win. Another words coach them to win.