PDA

View Full Version : If and I mean a BIG IF...

Behrdawg
11-08-2013, 09:37 AM
we end up making a coaching change and IF HUD isn't our guy....this is who I would want to be after

He can move the foosball (http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/montgomery_philip00.html)

Your thoughts

HereComesTheSpiral
11-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Might be another case of riding coattails.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2013, 09:43 AM
we end up making a coaching change and IF HUD isn't our guy....this is who I would want to be after

He can move the foosball (http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/montgomery_philip00.html)

Your thoughts

I don't think we could recruit the players to run that system and I don't think that style would work in the SEC.

I have no interest in firing Mullen to hire an offensive coordinator. Our problem isn't offensive scheme. Unless we can get a proven head coach from any college level, I have no interest in getting rid of Mullen.

Our problem isn't schemes. Our inconsistencies involve motivation, personnel management, and game management. Hiring a coordinator addresses none of those issues.

If we can't get Hud, I have no interest in getting rid of Mullen.

smootness
11-08-2013, 09:44 AM
No thanks, Briles is clearly the mastermind behind that offense.

I don't think we need to be patterning ourselves after this style anyway. I think we need to look more to a team like Stanford. Get bigger and stronger, not smaller and faster.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Just because the seat is broke doesn't mean the whole bike is broke. I think our style of play and the type of players we recruit are correct. We just need to get better at personnel management, motivation, and game management.

Fans always want to make whole sale changes when the team isn't playing well, but many times, all you need is a tweak. Hud runs the same style of offense as Mullen and recruits the same type of players, at a lower level.

I'm a Mullen supporter, but Hud would be a tweak in all the right areas without having to sacrifice the things we do correctly.

BHildreth3
11-08-2013, 09:50 AM
gotta at least interview Tulane's coach - Curtis Johnson, but i've said it before - If we can't push Mullen to UConn, or somewhere else and bring huddy home, then i don't want a new coach.

smootness
11-08-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm not saying we need to completely overhaul what we currently do. Mullen runs a run-first spread option attack; it isn't Stanford's pro-style, but you can still implement some of the same principles. We had our most success under Mullen when we didn't worry about throwing the ball around and trying to get it to guys in space; we were successful when we had a couple of hosses in the backfield and just pounded people.

Ever since we got away from that and tried to fill the field with small, fast guys and toss it to them, we've struggled. Get back to what we know and what we are better suited to recruit for...you can find big, strong guys more easily than you can find small, fast guys; because everybody now is recruiting small, fast guys.

The tough part is obviously OL, as we haven't done incredibly well in recruiting there...but we certainly can do better, it isn't fighting a lost cause.

I like some of the bigger WRs we've brought in recently. What we need to do is quit worrying so much about running east-west sweeps and bubble screens and just pound it right at teams from start to finish. We have some QBs now who can do this, and we're bringing in strong, powerful RBs as well...let's hope we're getting back to this.

TrapGame
11-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Briles is the real offensive genius at Baylor just like Urban was the real offensive genius at UF. Hud would be a good hire. Now if some bigger names were to call Stricklin for an interview if Dan goes to UConn that's terrific, but Hud knows MS and LA really well and has proven himself to be a heck of a head coach.

DanDority
11-08-2013, 10:04 AM
No thanks, Briles is clearly the mastermind behind that offense.

I don't think we need to be patterning ourselves after this style anyway. I think we need to look more to a team like Stanford. Get bigger and stronger, not smaller and faster.

Couldn't agree more!

smootness
11-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Mississippi State is never going to take the next step and break through if we are copying what others have had success doing. The HUNH, spread you out and run around you, offense is all the rage. We're not going to surpass those teams by doing the same thing they are a few years behind them. We have to be ahead of the curve, and I think soon you will begin seeing more and more teams realize that they will have a competitive advantage by doing what Stanford does...get a bunch of gigantic beasts, hand the ball off, and blow the teams who have recruited the small, fast guys off the ball. Basically, punch them in the mouth rather than try to run by/around them.

If we are ahead of the curve there, we can really gain an edge in recruiting the types of guys needed for that style.

And we can absolutely do it with our current offensive scheme and HC. We don't have to make wholesale changes. Just recruit a little more Anthony Dixon and a little less Brandon Holloway (not that you don't need a couple of guys like that, just a general statement about philosophy). And again, I actually do see some of this with Shumpert, Aeris Williams, De'Runnya Wilson, Artimas Samuel. Let's hope Mullen has realized this.

BHildreth3
11-08-2013, 10:24 AM
I think a mistake he made was trying to do more Oregon stuff - with smaller faster players. You bring up a great point smootness. We need to go back to a bigger backfield and hell find a great HS Linebacker with speed and make him the FB, blocking TE/RB or whatever.

TrapGame
11-08-2013, 10:31 AM
The run game was lot better with Hanrahan in there. It's suffered a lot since his graduation. That boy could block the shit outta people!

HereComesTheSpiral
11-08-2013, 10:52 AM
I think a mistake he made was trying to do more Oregon stuff - with smaller faster players. You bring up a great point smootness. We need to go back to a bigger backfield and hell find a great HS Linebacker with speed and make him the FB, blocking TE/RB or whatever.

Richie Brown played fullback in HS

TrapGame
11-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Richie Brown played fullback in HS

And Richie told David Murray in an interview his RSF year that Koening had him in some offensive plays as FB. I wonder what happened cause we need another Hanrahan badly.