PDA

View Full Version : OT: Initiative 65

BlameTheDogs
11-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Proud to see Mississippi pass medical marijuana tomorrow. I believe Mississippians are smart enough to see through the political BS of 65A and vote for 65.
Along with the flag, we've come a long way in one year. Proud of this state!

Quaoarsking
11-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Agreed, but also don't forget to vote YES on ballot measure 2. Right now, the State House can override the result of any statewide office if the winner doesn't win a majority (not plurality) of the vote AND a majority of the State House districts. No other state legislative body in America has this power, and ours should not either. The voters pick the winners, not the legislature.

"This amendment provides that to be elected Governor, or to
any other statewide office, a candidate must receive a
majority of the votes in the general election. If no candidate
receives a majority of the votes, then a runoff election shall
be held as provided by general law. The requirement of
receiving the most votes in a majority of Mississippi House
of Representative?s districts is removed."

lastmajordog
11-02-2020, 10:17 PM
People with chronic or intense pain need help, most normal Doctors won’t prescribe opioids or anything that really works (Tylenol is a joke for pain and Ibuprofen while a great pain med can’t be taken with heart probs). I don’t have all the answers but I do know when people have major surgery and can’t get anything for pain.......this is a huge problem. I know there will be YUGE abuse no matter what the outcome, but I can tell you if you or a loved one hurts and can’t get help from their doctor.....you do whatever you have to.....JMO

nsvltndog
11-02-2020, 10:48 PM
Agree completely. My Mom was prescribed synthetic medical Marijuana in Mississippi right before entering hospice care 6 years ago because real stuff is illegal even on your death bed. She could not tolerate it. Ill never know if she could have tolerated the real thing but her doctor was not surprised and had a few less than stellar comments about the priorities of the state politicians on this topic. Politicians worked hard to make this topic confusing on the ballet so hopefully it passes.

DownwardDawg
11-02-2020, 10:52 PM
My Dad spent his last years crippled and in severe pain. I was pissed he couldn't get medical marijuana. The politicians have had long enough and they ain't done shit. Everyone I know is voting yes to 65.

BeastMan
11-03-2020, 08:07 AM
My Dad spent his last years crippled and in severe pain. I was pissed he couldn't get medical marijuana. The politicians have had long enough and they ain't done shit. Everyone I know is voting yes to 65.

This!!!

Leeshouldveflanked
11-03-2020, 08:38 AM
It was interesting that Thomas Dobbs came out against it... and he?s as left as they come.

Cooterpoot
11-03-2020, 08:56 AM
It was interesting that Thomas Dobbs came out against it... and he?s as left as they come.

He knows the state health dept. will struggle to handle it. Theres also concern about Mary J type pill mills but I voted for it. I currently get mine out of state and it's a hassle. Lucky to have friends who can help. I've got treatments in a week and will need it after. Vote yes!

Lord McBuckethead
11-03-2020, 09:05 AM
People with chronic or intense pain need help, most normal Doctors won’t prescribe opioids or anything that really works (Tylenol is a joke for pain and Ibuprofen while a great pain med can’t be taken with heart probs). I don’t have all the answers but I do know when people have major surgery and can’t get anything for pain.......this is a huge problem. I know there will be YUGE abuse no matter what the outcome, but I can tell you if you or a loved one hurts and can’t get help from their doctor.....you do whatever you have to.....JMO

Forget all of that, if someone else in the US of A can buy weed legally, so should people who live in Mississippi. Full stop. No other argument needed. Vote yes to 65 and then vote in 2 years for recreational use. If the legislature are not a bunch of pussies that refuse to do their job, then this should already be legal 100% anyway.

Lord McBuckethead
11-03-2020, 09:06 AM
He knows the state health dept. will struggle to handle it. Theres also concern about Mary J type pill mills but I voted for it. I currently get mine out of state and it's a hassle. Lucky to have friends who can help. I've got treatments in a week and will need it after. Vote yes!

Again, it should be 100% legal regardless and have nothing to do with the state health department.

Lord McBuckethead
11-03-2020, 09:06 AM

Literally every single person I know as well. And none of us are pot guys.

Lord McBuckethead
11-03-2020, 09:09 AM
Agree completely. My Mom was prescribed synthetic medical Marijuana in Mississippi right before entering hospice care 6 years ago because real stuff is illegal even on your death bed. She could not tolerate it. Ill never know if she could have tolerated the real thing but her doctor was not surprised and had a few less than stellar comments about the priorities of the state politicians on this topic. Politicians worked hard to make this topic confusing on the ballet so hopefully it passes.

My question is this.....why is it even on the ballot? Legislators are literally sent to Jackson to debate and pass legislation on this type of stuff. When something like this has to be put to a vote, shouldn't we get their salary back or something. Just like a bunch of boomers, refusing to put the work in and actually handlling their responsibility.

Have a vote, put your name next to your vote, or get the 17 out.

AlSwearengen
11-03-2020, 10:19 AM
My neighbor ran one of the largest hospitals in MS for several years and the guy is one of the most respected people that I know of. He isn’t against the marijuana issue as a whole but he says that both 65 and 65A are seriously flawed. He basically said 65A is the lesser of 2 evils, I believe b/c it can be fixed more easily than 65. I hope that I am remember the details correctly.

Jack Lambert
11-03-2020, 10:21 AM
Agreed, but also don't forget to vote YES on ballot measure 2. Right now, the State House can override the result of any statewide office if the winner doesn't win a majority (not plurality) of the vote AND a majority of the State House districts. No other state legislative body in America has this power, and ours should not either. The voters pick the winners, not the legislature.

"This amendment provides that to be elected Governor, or to
any other statewide office, a candidate must receive a
majority of the votes in the general election. If no candidate
receives a majority of the votes, then a runoff election shall
be held as provided by general law. The requirement of
receiving the most votes in a majority of Mississippi House
of Representative?s districts is removed."

I voted yes on pot,
I voted no on requirement of receiving the most votes. This is how Ronnie got into office.
I vote no on flag. I did not like the one purposed.

Cowboydawg
11-03-2020, 10:40 AM
My neighbor ran one of the largest hospitals in MS for several years and the guy is one of the most respected people that I know of. He isn’t against the marijuana issue as a whole but he says that both 65 and 65A are seriously flawed. He basically said 65A is the lesser of 2 evils, I believe b/c it can be fixed more easily than 65. I hope that I am remember the details correctly.

Correct. I?m 100% for medical marijuana but 65 is not ideal. It is terribly flawed. 65A is a compromise but basically buys more time to get it right. We need to get it right but there is no reason to be confident that that will ever happen.

LC Dawg
11-03-2020, 11:54 AM
If 65 doesn't pass I have absolutely no confidence in our state legislature doing anything remotely close to the right thing. They've had their chance. Screw them.

baddmann
11-03-2020, 12:12 PM

This is the issue. If you read them they are both not good. 65 has tax surplus only supporting the medical marijuana program and 65a has too much for the legislature to decide later. They could have done a much better job writing both of these.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-03-2020, 12:42 PM
FYI medical marijuana cards prevent you from buying a new gun.

KOdawg1
11-03-2020, 01:16 PM
I've never smoked weed before in my life, but I will be voting yes to 65

BigDawgB
11-03-2020, 01:48 PM

False

DLGDawg
11-03-2020, 02:16 PM
This is the issue. If you read them they are both not good. 65 has tax surplus only supporting the medical marijuana program and 65a has too much for the legislature to decide later. They could have done a much better job writing both of these.

I voted to legalize it, but not either one of those choices. They need to go back and get it right.

Mobile Bay
11-03-2020, 03:06 PM
False

It makes it illegal for you to even own the ones you have. Being a user of marajuana or other prohibited substances makes you a prohibited person, and means you cannot own a gun legally.

Dawg2003
11-03-2020, 04:53 PM
I'm for legalization of marijuana, but I actually voted NO on 65 because two people in my family who are medical professionals told me it was poorly worded and would be a mess the way it is written.

DownwardDawg
11-03-2020, 05:05 PM

Extremely false. That dude on talk radio is an idiot.

BeardoMSU
11-03-2020, 05:38 PM

Let me guess...the J.T. Show on Supertalk, lol?

Mobile Bay
11-03-2020, 05:45 PM

No, you are the one who is wrong here.

Directly from the BATF.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/open-letter/all-ffls-sept2011-open-letter-marijuana-medicinal-purposes/download

DownwardDawg
11-03-2020, 06:47 PM
Unlawful user. It states that several times. If you are prescribed, you are NOT an unlawful user. And you would be a dubmass anyway if you answered otherwise. Lawyers will eat this up.

BeastMan
11-03-2020, 08:28 PM
Funny to me a very red state doesn’t even know what the hell conservstism is anymore. Small, limited government used to be a agreed upon principle. Now we’ve got idiots who vote against an initiative because you want the legislature to handle it. My god the GOP is deader than dead. Bunch of democrats who don’t even understand what being a conservative means anymore. But hey, that’s why I’m a libertarian.

Maroonthirteen
11-03-2020, 10:39 PM
65 will pass. congrats!

https://wheresweed.com/blog_images/main/how-the-simpsons-get-high.jpg

BeardoMSU
11-03-2020, 10:51 PM
65 will pass. congrats!

https://wheresweed.com/blog_images/main/how-the-simpsons-get-high.jpg

Yeaaaaaaah!**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKID2LRzIdY&ab_channel=killalldopeheads

Mobile Bay
11-04-2020, 06:11 AM
Unlawful user. It states that several times. If you are prescribed, you are NOT an unlawful user. And you would be a dubmass anyway if you answered otherwise. Lawyers will eat this up.

There is no such thing as a user of marihuana that is lawful. As far as the federal government is concerned, all marihuana use is unlawful, which is clearly explained in the letter I linked from the ATF.

FISHDAWG
11-04-2020, 08:18 AM
No, you are the one who is wrong here.

Directly from the BATF.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/open-letter/all-ffls-sept2011-open-letter-marijuana-medicinal-purposes/download

That's a little screwed up to include pot in there but then again it's the Fed Govt ... I'll bet those guys in Colorado laugh at that but I think fed law would over-ride state law in matters like this ... oh well, screw the tax revenue and continue to purchase on the black market .... nothing makes much sense when it comes to govt I guess

MaroonFlounder
11-04-2020, 08:27 AM
Now that 65 has passed, the fear is that property values are in danger of plummeting, since weed shops can be set up anywhere as long as it's (whatever distance) from a church or school.

Just a thought. My wife is a realtor. She is quite concerned.

FISHDAWG
11-04-2020, 08:34 AM
Now that 65 has passed, the fear is that property values are in danger of plummeting, since weed shops can be set up anywhere as long as it's (whatever distance) from a church or school.

it's gonna take a lot of data to convince folks that this will be the case ... Zoning for that probably won't be any different than retail which means a commercially zoned area probably isn't desirable for residential dwelling for most of us in the first place. I seriously doubt a weed shop going in probably next to a liquor store is going to traumatize the community or potential home buyers .... but I'm wrong a lot.

Dawgology
11-04-2020, 08:59 AM

Weed shops are going to set up where the market for their supplies are. I doubt that will be in the middle of a neighborhood in small town Mississippi. But if it does that probably means the residents there support it. Remember when liquor stores and strip clubs were going to ruin the housing market?

Johnson85
11-04-2020, 09:37 AM

That's incorrect. There is no federal medical marijuana program that allows for use to be legal.

Johnson85
11-04-2020, 09:45 AM
Funny to me a very red state doesn’t even know what the hell conservstism is anymore. Small, limited government used to be a agreed upon principle. Now we’ve got idiots who vote against an initiative because you want the legislature to handle it. My god the GOP is deader than dead. Bunch of democrats who don’t even understand what being a conservative means anymore. But hey, that’s why I’m a libertarian.

I think it's you that doesn't understand what conservatism is. It's not conservative (in the little 'c' or political sense) to regulate marijuana through the constitution. It's not a huge conservative issue either way, but it's more conservative to vote against 65. In the little 'c' sense, you don't want to make significant changes in a way that can't easily be modified. You want to do incremental changes with flexibility to adjust as you go forward. In the political conservative sense, you generally don't want to obligate expenditures through constitutional measures. It's also more conservative to lean towards a republican form of government rather than direct democracy.

Politically, conservative has been associated with small government in the past, but that's just been nominally as long as I've been alive. They are for small government compared to democrats, but there's not much of a commitment to small government as a good in and of itself. They want big government in certain areas, it's just way fewer areas, and at a much smaller scale, than what democrats generally want. I'm not aware of them ever being particularly for less regulation for recreational drugs. Did republicans come down in favor of ending prohibition? Did that break down along party lines?

DownwardDawg
11-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Hopefully I'll never need it, but if I do, I will continue to own all of my many firearms. Won't sweat it a bit. Let them come and try to take "my sons " guns away . Lol

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-04-2020, 11:55 AM

Let me guess...the J.T. Show on Supertalk, lol?

What dude on the radio? Ever looked up the gun laws? Personally I like to be well informed before I make any vote and definitely don't count on media for that. I can draw my own conclusions without someone spoon feeding me.

Cooterpoot
11-04-2020, 12:00 PM

Hasn't happened in any other states. But housing is also overpriced right now too.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-04-2020, 12:05 PM
Hopefully I'll never need it, but if I do, I will continue to own all of my many firearms. Won't sweat it a bit. Let them come and try to take "my sons " guns away . Lol

The concern would be buying new guns, not existing ownership. Technically you would be in violation of law to have firearms and a medical card, but I don't think anyone sees the gov't taking your guns....yet lol

viverlibre
11-04-2020, 01:59 PM

Aren't there zoning ordinances that regulate this? For example, in a residential neighborhood, you can't put a gas station, restaurant, etc? Only certain kinds of businesses can be in certain areas? There are areas in municipalities zoned for different uses, some ares zones residential and some zoned commercial, even within areas zoned commercial, there are different level of zoning.