PDA

View Full Version : Mumme/Leach at Kentucky

Coach34
11-01-2020, 09:39 PM
I see alot of the Leach hopefuls talking about Mumme's success at Kentucky when Leach worked for him. During those two seasons- Kentucky ran the football over 300 times during each season.

In 1999 in Oklahoma- when he finally started calling plays- he ran the ball 290 times that season.

We are on pace to run the ball 178 times in 10 games- which over a 12 game schedule is about 213 carries. That's a significant drop.

Just food for thought.

HoopsDawg
11-01-2020, 09:43 PM
And I'm sure he didn't see near as many 3 man fronts then as we are seeing now. Yet, he's running even less. I mean, how pumped would you be if I told you your next opponent was going to rush 3 all game long. I'm sure you would run the hell out of the football just like 99.9% of coaches would. It's really mind blowing.

defiantdog
11-01-2020, 09:50 PM
Leach needs someone to step up and take over on offense. Those guys are playing scared to make a mistake. They need to play angry. Teams used to hate playing us because we didn't always win, but we'd hit you in the mouth. We ain't doing that since Mullen left.

Coach34
11-01-2020, 09:51 PM
And I'm sure he didn't see near as many 3 man fronts then as we are seeing now. Yet, he's running even less. I mean, how pumped would you be if I told you your next opponent was going to rush 3 all game long. I'm sure you would run the hell out of the football just like 99.9% of coaches would. It's really mind blowing.

We scored 47 vs the last 3 man front we faced. We face another this Friday.

Irondawg
11-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Let’s just remember that Leach normally allows his qbs to check to a run at any point based on what they see

Cowbell
11-01-2020, 10:19 PM
And when we run it, it's obvious from the snap. Nothing to make the linebackers think. No play action.

Bothrops
11-02-2020, 11:22 AM
And when we run it, it's obvious from the snap. Nothing to make the linebackers think. No play action.

Yeah there is no deception in this offense and everything is telegraphed to the defense on que. I'd like to try running more, but we can't block well enough from what I've seen. As crazy as it sounds, the only way I can see this working is having a running threat at the qb position, but a qb that can make all the throws as well. Roll out of the pocket quickly if coverage is too tight, then view check again and if under pursuit, run to where they're not. This would open receivers up down field in subsequent plays and totally derail a prevent defense off the tracks and down a cliff.

William Tecumsah Sherman
11-02-2020, 11:30 AM
Surely Leach or someone on staff realizes this.

maroonmania
11-02-2020, 11:44 AM
Our lack of effectiveness when we do run is much more of an issue than the absolute number of times we do run. If teams are cheating more and more to the pass game by dropping off the LOS, you would think when we do run it should work fairly well but that isn't the case. Currently I haven't seen anything we try work very well including running the ball. Heck, seems like forever since we've had a 10+ yard run. I agree that play action would help some because that would force the linebackers to break up toward the line which would give more space for the passing routes that go to the middle of the field.

Bothrops
11-02-2020, 11:53 AM
Our lack of effectiveness when we do run is much more of an issue than the absolute number of times we do run. If teams are cheating more and more to the pass game by dropping off the LOS, you would think when we do run it should work fairly well but that isn't the case. Currently I haven't seen anything we try work very well including running the ball. Heck, seems like forever since we've had a 10+ yard run. I agree that play action would help some because that would force the linebackers to break up toward the line which would give more space for the passing routes that go to the middle of the field.

We had one 20 yard run with Marks against Bama and it looked so good. Marks can be deadly, only a true freshman.

Cowbell
11-02-2020, 12:04 PM
Surely Leach or someone on staff realizes this.

I think this and then I remember thinking this with Joe. And everyone of us realizing there was a conditioning issue and wondering how nobody realized it on staff. And there are also rumors of assistants that think he needs to adjust.

Cowbell
11-02-2020, 12:05 PM
We had one 20 yard run with Marks against Bama and it looked so good. Marks can be deadly, only a true freshman.

I feel like we have 3 really good young backs

state66
11-02-2020, 12:22 PM
Mississippi State averages 1.7 yards per rush on the season but they need to run the ball more. Got it. I think the issue is much more deeply rooted than rtgdf.

Cowbell
11-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Mississippi State averages 1.7 yards per rush on the season but they need to run the ball more. Got it. I think the issue is much more deeply rooted than rtgdf.

That's the point. Until our offensive coordinator can take what he has and figure out a way to establish some type of consistent rushing attack, there will be no passing attack.

parabrave
11-02-2020, 01:08 PM
I see alot of the Leach hopefuls talking about Mumme's success at Kentucky when Leach worked for him. During those two seasons- Kentucky ran the football over 300 times during each season.

In 1999 in Oklahoma- when he finally started calling plays- he ran the ball 290 times that season.

We are on pace to run the ball 178 times in 10 games- which over a 12 game schedule is about 213 carries. That's a significant drop.

Just food for thought.

34 remember back then all defenses were geared to stop the run. Now most defenses are predicated on stopping Mobile QBs and the passing game. Look at Bama they are really using the running game more this year to set up the pass. And they are succeeding. N Harris is running hard which caused the Backs to play close. Saban actually adopts and changes his offenses to new trends. Leach is stuck in 1998 and wants to stay there. It doesn't matter if he "gets his guy" or not. To parapharse you you have to RTCDFB or at least have a threat to run to succeed in the SEC.

maroonmania
11-02-2020, 01:13 PM

Great, so we did have ONE nice run in the last 4 games. Bottom line is, we are averaging 1.7 yards/rush this year. That is awful. Granted, there is some lost yardage there on sacks but even with that taken out, we might be close to 3 which is still really, really bad. Nothing we are doing is working right now. THAT is the crux of the problem.

KOdawg1
11-02-2020, 01:23 PM

It's not just that we need to run it more. We need to effectively run it more. The fact that we're only averaging 1.7 vs. a 3 man front is absurd. That should be 5 easy yards all damn day. And until we can gash a defense a few times for those 5 yards, we won't be able to pass it either.

Really Clark?
11-02-2020, 02:57 PM
Great, so we did have ONE nice run in the last 4 games. Bottom line is, we are averaging 1.7 yards/rush this year. That is awful. Granted, there is some lost yardage there on sacks but even with that taken out, we might be close to 3 which is still really, really bad. Nothing we are doing is working right now. THAT is the crux of the problem.

We actually are 3.32 yards per rush when you eliminate just KJ’s numbers. Almost double what the stats show with him included.

R2Dawg
11-02-2020, 02:58 PM

Yeah but our OL is pass blocking on most of those runs. We also ran the ball several times when it was obvious and Bama stacked the box with 5-6 compared to 3 and also blitzed at least once on a run. I like the quick toss sweep to the open side with a speed back when no defender is in the area. Draws and shuffle pass also good if done at the right times.

Bothrops
11-02-2020, 03:08 PM

Round square, peg hole