PDA

View Full Version : What Happened '75-'77?

Matt3467
10-28-2020, 10:43 AM
Just looking over our historical records and we forfeited all of our wins in '76 and '77 and several in '75. What happened?

Commercecomet24
10-28-2020, 10:46 AM
Larry Gillard got some clothing discounts so we got reamed. Here's an article on it.

https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/08/14/remembering-the-past-the-larry-gillard-discount-2/

Dawgface
10-28-2020, 10:48 AM
Probation. Can't remember the player or players but some got free clothes or discounts that a normal student wouldn't get. Probably more to it.

deltadawg63
10-28-2020, 11:04 AM
There was much more to it than this issue but the NCAA could not prove the more serious matters so they just made the penalties large on the lesser, provable issues and then we allowed the HFC to also become the AD and we defied the NCAA and got a local court injunction to play the ineligible player which, later, upon a denied appeal got us the forfeits...which they don't used today...just vacated wins.

Matt3467
10-28-2020, 11:20 AM
Larry Gillard got some clothing discounts so we got reamed. Here's an article on it.

https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/08/14/remembering-the-past-the-larry-gillard-discount-2/

Wow I can't believe that. No wonder people have never had faith in the NCAA and OM gets off scotch free (basically).

Commercecomet24
10-28-2020, 11:22 AM
Wow I can't believe that. No wonder people have never had faith in the NCAA and OM gets off scotch free (basically).

Yeah I was 12 and living in Starkville then and remember when it all went down.

AROB44
10-28-2020, 11:32 AM
There was much more to it than this issue but the NCAA could not prove the more serious matters so they just made the penalties large on the lesser, provable issues and then we allowed the HFC to also become the AD and we defied the NCAA and got a local court injunction to play the ineligible player which, later, upon a denied appeal got us the forfeits...which they don't used today...just vacated wins.

This is correct....I know first hand.

parabrave
10-28-2020, 11:40 AM
Probation. Can't remember the player or players but some got free clothes or discounts that a normal student wouldn't get. Probably more to it.

No he got the same discount that the students received.

msbulldog
10-28-2020, 12:41 PM
Yeah I was 12 and living in Starkville then and remember when it all went down. We got screwed.

Ha CC I was in school then. We all thought Bob Tyler was the greatest because he was winning and we hadn't been. When he got to be AD he got involved with a local business man named Spencer Bailey which opened a whole nother can of snakes.

msbulldog
10-28-2020, 12:42 PM
No he got the same discount that the students received.

Absolutely correct.

Commercecomet24
10-28-2020, 12:51 PM
Ha CC I was in school then. We all thought Bob Tyler was the greatest because he was winning and we hadn't been. When he got to be AD he got involved with a local business man named Spencer Bailey which opened a whole nother can of snakes.

Yep!

State82
10-28-2020, 01:02 PM

Me too. We are probably lucky that is all we got.

dawgman
10-28-2020, 01:14 PM

True

If I recall correctly, there were numerous violations regarding money being given directly to recruits on their official visits rather than just being spent on them.. There were other infractions also. Someone posted the entire NCAA infractions letter either here or on SPS within the last year (I think). I just can't find it. Bob Tyler tried to paint it as the discount story at a well known on the square in Canton. The main reason the penalty was so stiff was due to the state court injunction to allow Giillard to play.

dawgman
10-28-2020, 01:44 PM
I found the NCAA letter. Here it is.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=101990

Bothrops
10-28-2020, 01:58 PM
Our guys got clothing discounts, Bama guys get cars.

basedog
10-28-2020, 02:07 PM

"Use to be a Cigar Guy"*** Oh the stories of the Tyler years and the "slush fund money".

I ain't telling what you know*** LOL

Jack Lambert
10-28-2020, 02:23 PM
Until the probation and other troubles those were some good years for Miss State football.

gravedigger
10-28-2020, 02:35 PM

Every student got that discount. The reason we got hammered is that Tyler decided to fight it and the NCAA didnt like people questioning their authority. They also didnt like Coaches who were also athletics directors. Bear Bryant and Jordan at Auburn were behind the scenes supporting Tyler, but we paid the price for his fight.

NCDawg
10-28-2020, 02:46 PM
I think the bottom line was that Bob Tyler had State too competitive with Ole Miss, and Ole Miss boosters and attorneys got involved.

Commercecomet24
10-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Every student got that discount. The reason we got hammered is that Tyler decided to fight it and the NCAA didnt like people questioning their authority. They also didnt like Coaches who were also athletics directors. Bear Bryant and Jordan at Auburn were behind the scenes supporting Tyler, but we paid the price for his fight.

Agreed.

Jack Lambert
10-28-2020, 03:01 PM
Was it our forfeit to KY that made them CO SEC champs"

Leeshouldveflanked
10-28-2020, 03:49 PM
We were still probably doing less cheating than most everyone else in the SEC at that time.. BAMA had players to stop at certain dealers to pick up their new vehicle on the way to Tuscaloosa.

basedog
10-28-2020, 03:59 PM
We were still probably doing less cheating than most everyone else in the SEC at that time.. BAMA had players to stop at certain dealers to pick up their new vehicle on the way to Tuscaloosa.

LOL, I can't answer that but I do know many many players were paid. Where do you think Tyler learned his "'trade' from?

Todd4State
10-28-2020, 04:13 PM
LOL, I can't answer that but I do know many many players were paid. Where do you think Tyler learned his "'trade' from?

Vaught and the Bear.

And thank goodness Ole Miss didn't hire Tyler.

basedog
10-28-2020, 04:56 PM
Vaught and the Bear.

And thank goodness Ole Miss didn't hire Tyler.

Yep! Actually what I was told about the Slush Fund, well guess who got it? That is all! LOL

Goldendawg
10-28-2020, 08:03 PM
I graduated from State in '77 and "Let's Win
Something Today" were great winning seasons under Tyler until the probation. I'm not sure the statute of limitations is over with the NCAA, but these were good and very interesting times on and off the field. My late SuperDawg Dad and some of his associates were pretty high in some of these "booster clubs". I knew almost all the coaches and many of the players and played against some in HS. Let me put it this way, the local economy was helped out in the sales of Ford autos and John Deere! Some funny stories even to this day. PM me if you want a couple. Our uniforms were super cool also. As usual UM was behind taking us down. Every time we have gotten good in my lifetime, probation followed quite quickly. Hail State, Past, Present, and Future!