PDA

View Full Version : Rosebowl Say He Expects Costello to Start at QB

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2020, 08:40 AM
Leach knows more than me, but, with my limited knowledge of what goes on in practice, I disagree with this.

Rosebowl said last week he expected Rogers but now expects Costello

My only thought is that Costello must have torn it up at practice the past two weeks because in games he clearly isn't better than Rogers.

If Leach is doing this because he's worried about Rogers' mentality, then I really disagree with the move. You can't hide players. The good ones step up and get it done.

Just playing Costello with the expectation that he'll suck is absolutely absurd to me.

thf24
10-28-2020, 08:51 AM
The only way I'm ok with this is if Leach has used the bye week to do something like scheme up plays for Costello that get the ball out quick and limit the number of decisions he has to make, like what Kiffin had going for Corral in their first few games. Doing something like that for a tough game like this to buy Rogers some more time as well as give Costello a chance to redeem himself makes sense to me. But if he's just going to throw Costello back out there without changing anything, unless Costello and the OL have made some incredibly unlikely leaps forward in the past two weeks, I don't see what it accomplishes other than deny Rogers valuable experience.

Dawgology
10-28-2020, 08:52 AM
I would imagine this is Leach protecting his young QB for the game after Bama.

Dawgology
10-28-2020, 08:53 AM
The only way I'm ok with this is if Leach has used the bye week to do something like scheme up plays for Costello that get the ball out quick and limit the number of decisions he has to make, like what Kiffin had going for Corral in their first few games. Doing something like that for a tough game like this to buy Rogers some more time as well as give Costello a chance to redeem himself makes sense to me. But if he's just going to throw Costello back out there without changing anything, unless Costello and the OL have made some incredibly unlikely leaps forward in the past two weeks, I don't see what it accomplishes other than deny Rogers valuable experience.

Nothing has changed. This is conceding a loss to protect Rogers for next week.

FISHDAWG
10-28-2020, 08:56 AM
Leach knows more than me, but, with my limited knowledge of what goes on in practice, I disagree with this.

My only thought is that Costello must have torn it up at practice the past two weeks because in games he clearly isn't better than Rogers.

If Leach is doing this because he's worried about Rogers' mentality, then I really disagree with the move. You can't hide players. The good ones step up and get it done.

Just playing Costello with the expectation that he'll suck is absolutely absurd to me.

but it's only been 4 games ... 4 freaking games** .... lol welcome to the dark side Gun

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2020, 09:02 AM

That's dumb IMO if it's really what's going on.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2020, 09:03 AM

My hope is that Costello has actually gotten better this week.

My intuition though is that the combo of our bad OL and Costello's slow feet is just a terrible combo that can't work

Brahmabull
10-28-2020, 09:11 AM
My guess is Costello continues to perform better than Rogers in practice. That's the way it has been up to know. If Rogers wants to be the starter then he needs to step it up during the week leading up to the game.

maroonmania
10-28-2020, 09:18 AM

Yea, as long as Rogers get a decent amount of playing time, I'm not really that concerned about who starts. It was much more important who started the past game against A&M because that was a game we had a realistic shot of winning with a competent offense. We aren't going to win this week even if we had Joe Burrow or Trevor Lawrence starting for us.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2020, 09:18 AM
My guess is Costello continues to perform better than Rogers in practice. That's the way it has been up to know. If Rogers wants to be the starter then he needs to step it up during the week leading up to the game.

Agree. What really needs to happen is that Costello plays in games the way he practices

Brahmabull
10-28-2020, 09:19 AM
Agree. What really needs to happen is that Costello plays in games the way he practices

Yes, that would help too. It would also help if our OL gets on the same page.

TrapGame
10-28-2020, 09:21 AM
That's dumb IMO if it's really what's going on.

No, it's not.

Getting Rogers turned into a pretzel by Bama's defense won't help a damn thing.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-28-2020, 09:25 AM

Why? Alabama is near the bottom of SEC in sacks and 6th in interceptions..

Really Clark?
10-28-2020, 09:34 AM
Why? Alabama is near the bottom of SEC in sacks and 6th in interceptions..

Yeah but they haven’t played us yet. Those number usually grow exponentially after playing our offense the last 3 games

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2020, 09:35 AM
No, it's not.

I don't think that's reality. Why would Bama turn Rogers into a pretzel?

TrapGame
10-28-2020, 09:50 AM
I don't think that's reality. Why would Bama turn Rogers into a pretzel?

Damn Gun...

Sometimes I really think you smoke crack before posting.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2020, 09:53 AM
Damn Gun...

Sometimes I really think you smoke crack before posting.

Bama's defense hasn't been that this year.

Again, I'm basing my opinion on the belief that we improved in the off week. Maybe we didn't

TrapGame
10-28-2020, 10:10 AM
Bama's defense hasn't been that this year.

Again, I'm basing my opinion on the belief that we improved in the off week. Maybe we didn't

Gun, we aren't improving this cluster**** in a bye week.

Cowbell
10-28-2020, 10:26 AM
If we come out and have no wrinkles against Bama, in a game where we have nothing to lose, you guys can have Leach. That will tell me all I need to know about what we can expect going forward.

Dawgface
10-28-2020, 10:39 AM
After Costello throws a couple of pick 6's Rogers will get his chance. Should be in by the 2nd qtr.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2020, 10:40 AM
Gun, we aren't improving this cluster**** in a bye week.

A cluster 17 without Spring practice?

Why can't they improve?

SPMT
10-28-2020, 10:43 AM
If we come out and have no wrinkles against Bama, in a game where we have nothing to lose, you guys can have Leach. That will tell me all I need to know about what we can expect going forward.

Get ready.

Leach fan but disappointed in what we have seen the last three games. I think he will be fine in the long run.

Turfdawg67
10-28-2020, 10:43 AM
The only thing that might save us from a 62-10 blowout is Saban believing his 5* players are so superior to our WRs, that he stubbornly plays man to man. I expect to watch the first quarter and that's about it.

Turfdawg67
10-28-2020, 10:46 AM
A cluster 17 without Spring practice?

Why can't they improve?

Yes, it's a clusterf**k. Yes we can improve in a bye week. No you can't fix a clusterf*ck in a bye week.

StarkVegasSteve
10-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Yes, it's a clusterf**k. Yes we can improve in a bye week. No you can't fix a clusterf*ck in a bye week.

Long post alert on this one. You also can't recruit another line in a bye week. It's like I've said for 3 weeks. We have 3 GLARING problems right now and 1 and 2 are intertwined. 1) Costello can't read a zone. 2) Our line was recruited to run block, not pass block. 3) Our receivers are having trouble finding where to sit down in zone coverage.

Costello not being able to read the zone is 1) because he hasn't consistently faced elite defenses week in and week out. Now I know we poke fun at some of the D's in the SEC from time to time, but these defenses that give up 30-40 in our league would be in the top half and probably at the top of any other conference not named the Big 10. Oregon St. and Cal's D is just not comparable to Kentucky and Arky's D. It's not that KJ is throwing the ball any differently, it's that the split second he had in the Pac 12 isn't there anymore against zone. Now all that to say his other problem is 2) He has NO TIME to throw the football. When teams are able to get pressure with 3 then there's no reason to rush anymore. Our tackles are regularly getting absolutely whipped everytime. And it's not like these ends are using next level pass rushing techniques. They're just straight beating us. And beating us inside, which is WAY worse, because your G needs to be protecting that gap as well. Cross is the only O lineman we have that can consistently provide protection for our QB which is good since he's protecting blindside. We're going to need an entirely new line next year. There's no way around it. But having a NFL left tackle is a good building block for any line.

The last problem, and I see it improving a little, is our WR's not knowing where to sit down in the zone. I noticed this against both Arky and UK. Williams, Shavers, and Mitchell don't look like they know where to settle. But that looks to be improving because we did a better job of it against A&M. This is something that is going to be very important this week because whoever is at QB is going to have at max 1.5-2.5 seconds to get the ball out. Because make no mistake, Bama will blitz more than the last 3 teams we've faced. Saban is just arrogant enough to try and run zone blitzes and man blitzes against us that could open up some quick throwing lanes.

EDIT: Guess we don't have to worry about Shavers anymore.

Cowbell
10-28-2020, 11:02 AM
After Costello throws a couple of pick 6's Rogers will get his chance. Should be in by the 2nd qtr.
But CML likes to give him a full half

HoopsDawg
10-28-2020, 11:05 AM
QB is not the issue. I know that's what fans focus on. But QB is not the main issue!

StateDawg44
10-28-2020, 11:13 AM
QB is not the issue. I know that's what fans focus on. But QB is not the main issue!

But I've seen multiple threads from people who have "run the numbers" who say a QB that can run the system is all we need.****

It's all on the QB**

bulldawg28
10-28-2020, 11:20 AM

Yep

msstate7
10-28-2020, 11:44 AM
Who cares? I advise you all to enjoy other games, so you don't ruin your Saturday night

basedog
10-28-2020, 11:47 AM
Who cares? I advise you all to enjoy other games, so you don't ruin your Saturday night

Yep

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2020, 11:47 AM
I said this a while back.

just take a nap for a year and half and you'll wake up to a top 10 team. But it's going to take time and will be painful

basedog
10-28-2020, 11:48 AM
Starting KJ ain't gonna help our future. I'm just shaking my head IF KJ starts.

R2Dawg
10-28-2020, 11:53 AM

This would be the only way I'd be even slightly OK with this. Unless KJ throws for 500 and 0 int and we give Bama a scare, I want to see Will every game after this. If it is any other reason, I hate it. I really don't like it either because if you are trying to gain trust in locker room keep trotting KJ out there is a bad move too.

StarkVegasSteve
10-28-2020, 11:56 AM
This would be the only way I'd be even slightly OK with this. Unless KJ throws for 500 and 0 int and we give Bama a scare, I want to see Will every game after this. If it is any other reason, I hate it. I really don't like it either because if you are trying to gain trust in locker room keep trotting KJ out there is a bad move too.

From everything I've been told KJ is a practice AA and Will is not. That's why KJ keeps getting the starts. However, I think another bad performance this weekend will be the end of KJ. Winnable games down the stretch with the correct QB. Will has to be the guy.

basedog
10-28-2020, 11:59 AM

It's Leach and he could care less about the locker room, I don't mean this as a negative statement, but he is just hell bent with dealing with players and I am ok with this as long as we win. Saban is the master with getting respect from players but he has a rooster full of 4 and 5 star players. Msu has 2 and 3 stars, big difference.

HoopsDawg
10-28-2020, 12:00 PM
From everything I've been told KJ is a practice AA and Will is not. That's why KJ keeps getting the starts. However, I think another bad performance this weekend will be the end of KJ. Winnable games down the stretch with the correct QB. Will has to be the guy.

KJ is a very solid QB. We saw that when he set an SEC all time passing record. We haven't seen enough of Will to have a strong opinion and Will is a young guy.

bluelightstar
10-28-2020, 12:01 PM
I said this a while back.

just take a nap for a year and half and you'll wake up to a top 10 team. But it's going to take time and will be painful

This is ludicrous

Jarius
10-28-2020, 12:03 PM
No, it's not.

Alabama will shut us down defensively but this is extremely poor logic. Alabama isn't that good on defense. They are slightly above average. If we will play Will against Kentucky and A&M there is no reason to be scared against Alabama. If that's the case then let's just shut Will down until we get someone who can block next year maybe.

Jarius
10-28-2020, 12:05 PM

It is the second biggest issue on our team. When the first biggest issue on your team is not being able to block, you better have a quarterback that can get out of the way.

TrapGame
10-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Alabama will shut us down defensively but this is extremely poor logic. Alabama isn't that good on defense. They are slightly above average. If we will play Will against Kentucky and A&M there is no reason to be scared against Alabama.

Logic? Bruh, have you seen our O line lately?

HoopsDawg
10-28-2020, 12:15 PM
It is the second biggest issue on our team. When the first biggest issue on your team is not being able to block, you better have a quarterback that can get out of the way.

Nah, biggest issue is coaching/scheme attack plan vs the 3-8. Then it's Oline, though that's not really fair given we are asking guys to block 1 on 1, on an island, against SEC dlinemen who know we are going to pass and who don't have to respect a run game or a running QB. Then it's below average talent at WR. Then it's youth and size at RB. And last but not least, it's the QB.

Jarius
10-28-2020, 12:32 PM
Logic? Bruh, have you seen our O line lately?

Yes, they are atrocious. What good is not starting Will if we are just going to put him in there midway through the second quarter down 28 to nothing against the same defense? Unless your answer is to just not play Will at all this year because our OL sucks against everyone. Alabama isn't any more special than anyone else we are playing defensively. They score 100 points a game, but they won't kill Will any worse than the last 2 defenses he played against.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2020, 12:32 PM
The way our OLine has been playing, we'd be better off lining up a RB at QB and just plunging forward every play. Otherwise we may have no scholarship QB's healthy after Saturday

Jarius
10-28-2020, 12:35 PM
Nah, biggest issue is coaching/scheme attack plan vs the 3-8. Then it's Oline, though that's not really fair given we are asking guys to block 1 on 1, on an island, against SEC dlinemen who know we are going to pass and who don't have to respect a run game or a running QB. Then it's below average talent at WR. Then it's youth and size at RB. And last but not least, it's the QB.

Mike Leach had a 7-2 record against that same "SEC program" running the same scheme against the same caliber athletes he faced 2 weeks ago. He did it against USC and Oregon as well as Texas and Oklahoma and Ole Miss. This isn't a scheme problem and he's attacking the defense the same way he did at other programs. If you want to argue he doesn't have the athletes to run his scheme yet and he's stupid for doing that before he gets his athletes, ok. That's just a difference of opinion. If you think this isn't going to work all together, you are going to look like a fool in a year or 2. Our quarterback play (with KJ) is about as bad as it can possibly get. Osirus was a complete baby on that catch at Kentucky, but KJ has been by far the bigger of the problem out of those 2 groups.

chef dixon
10-28-2020, 12:40 PM
Who on earth can watch the last 3 games Costello played and say "sign me up for more of that shit please!"

It does absolutely no good for our program to keep sending him back out there. Moorhead learned this the hard way.

FISHDAWG
10-28-2020, 01:23 PM
Who on earth can watch the last 3 games Costello played and say "sign me up for more of that shit please!"

It does absolutely no good for our program to keep sending him back out there. Moorhead learned this the hard way.

I've already deleted the last 3 games from the DVR as I know I'll never re-watch those games again ..... and I'm clinging to hope that some of these guys are right about turning the corner

Bothrops
10-28-2020, 02:18 PM

Costello may not walk off the field in this game. Then we will have to play Will and hope he can survive the season without major injury.

PendingTransaction
10-28-2020, 02:33 PM
The LSU game proved that the air raid is prolific, even with a locker room full of malcontents, when the defense plays horrible man coverage. Arkansas, UK, and A&M proved that the air raid can't get off the ground against average zone defenses. Getting you arse handed to you every week will exponentially decrease trust in the locker room and increase malcontents. These players know enough about the game to understand the proper attack for 3-8 defenses.

bulldawg28
10-28-2020, 03:44 PM
The LSU game proved that the air raid is prolific, even with a locker room full of malcontents, when the defense plays horrible man coverage. Arkansas, UK, and A&M proved that the air raid can't get off the ground against average zone defenses. Getting you arse handed to you every week will exponentially decrease trust in the locker room and increase malcontents. These players know enough about the game to understand the proper attack for 3-8 defenses.

R-U-N the ball with someone.

R2Dawg
10-28-2020, 06:19 PM
Costello may not walk off the field in this game. Then we will have to play Will and hope he can survive the season without major injury.

So does Leach run the air raid without a QB? Might be interesting to see how dug in he is.

RocketDawg
10-28-2020, 06:32 PM
Nothing has changed. This is conceding a loss to protect Rogers for next week.

His first start being against Alabama would be a tough row to hoe for freshman Rogers. Probably a good move on Leach's part.

BuckyIsAB****
10-28-2020, 07:06 PM
If he starts Costello after these practices he is doing it bc he thinks we have no chance. Rogers is better it is not close

BuckyIsAB****
10-28-2020, 07:08 PM
It doesn?t do us much good to play Costello in my opinion. To add, by start I don?t mean whoever runs out there first, I mean who gets the most snaps. And if we want to win the one who should get them is 2

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2020, 08:34 PM
His first start being against Alabama would be a tough row to hoe for freshman Rogers. Probably a good move on Leach's part.

I want our future QB to face as many tough rows as possible. That's how you get better.

He gets nothing out of sitting the bench

Jarius
10-28-2020, 09:23 PM

We have already played defenses as good as Alabama and will play more defenses as good as Alabama going forward. Will has already faced 2 defenses on par with Alabama. This logic makes zero sense. Alabama scoring 200 points on us because they have the best offense on the planet doesn’t make their defense any better.

Cowbell
10-28-2020, 09:49 PM
It doesn?t do us much good to play Costello in my opinion. To add, by start I don?t mean whoever runs out there first, I mean who gets the most snaps. And if we want to win the one who should get them is 2

And I would rather his first start against them be this year vs. next so he can build confidence and not be nervous to face them next year when it hopefully matters more.

TUSK
10-28-2020, 10:32 PM
We have already played defenses as good as Alabama and will play more defenses as good as Alabama going forward. Will has already faced 2 defenses on par with Alabama. This logic makes zero sense. Alabama scoring 200 points on us because they have the best offense on the planet doesn’t make their defense any better.

no.

Cowbell
10-28-2020, 10:41 PM
no.

I agree.

Cowbell
10-28-2020, 10:42 PM
They will be far and away the best defense we have seen. And give our defense the credit they deserve. People giving 65 points to Alabama forget we actually play defense. Costello and the online aren't on that side of the ball too.

msu15
10-29-2020, 12:22 AM
no.

Y'all's defense will cost you the championship again just like when Lawrence kicked that ass.

preachermatt83
10-29-2020, 12:47 AM
Will has a small nagging injury that’s limited just a little the last couple of practices. I expect will to get some pt but if he doesn’t start this will be why.

TUSK
10-29-2020, 02:48 AM
Y'all's defense will cost you the championship again just like when Lawrence kicked that ass.

How much ya wanna bet?

bulldawg28
10-29-2020, 05:21 AM
How much ya wanna bet?

If or when you play Ohio State it's going to get ugly for your defense.

Maroonthirteen
10-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Saban will have the defense focused and tightened up by then. You saw from the OM to the UGA game the difference when the defense is focused.

Also whomever challenges Bama for the tittle, better be able to score north of 30 (they won't). Sark has this offense rolling.

TUSK
10-29-2020, 11:46 AM
Saban will have the defense focused and tightened up by then. You saw from the OM to the UGA game the difference when the defense is focused.

Also whomever challenges Bama for the tittle, better be able to score north of 30 (they won't). Sark has this offense rolling.

yep. While the D isn't nearly as suffocating as it has been, it is/will be better than a lot of peeps think and the (current) numbers indicate...

basedog
10-29-2020, 11:52 AM
yep. While the D isn't nearly as suffocating as it has been, it is/will be better than a lot of peeps think and the (current) numbers indicate...

I will say one thing about Saban, he gets the need of change. He quoted the other day "Days Of Winning with defenses are over in the Sec, you have to score to win"! What this means is you have to adjust both offensively and defensively now days, you can't just keep doing the same ole thing.

R2Dawg
10-29-2020, 12:12 PM

Where have we heard that before? Bama D is good but not near what Bama and others are used to. Olemiss - 48, need I say more. Clemson and OSU will score that or more. UGA O is limited.

TUSK
10-29-2020, 02:48 PM
Where have we heard that before? Bama D is good but not near what Bama and others are used to. Olemiss - 48, need I say more. Clemson and OSU will score that or more. UGA O is limited.

I'd take that bet.

Jarius
10-29-2020, 04:38 PM
no.

Your defense is ranked 66th in the country in total defense. It isn’t good. You will possibly win the national title, but your defense isn’t good. When you hold State to a shutout or 3 points or whatever we score this weekend, it will still be an average defense in the conference. But I expect your opinion to be this way. You also think Jackson State is going to compete for recruits with State and Ole Miss.

BuckyIsAB****
10-29-2020, 10:02 PM
Will has a small nagging injury that’s limited just a little the last couple of practices. I expect will to get some pt but if he doesn’t start this will be why.

No he doesn?t

FISHDAWG
10-30-2020, 07:47 AM
No he doesn?t

I love insider clarity