PDA

View Full Version : Well the Boys have officially quit.

parabrave
10-25-2020, 01:01 PM
Thanks Jerry for hiring the guy who destroyed GB. Hey Dallas residents miss Dak yet?

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:02 PM
Good. They need a high pick.

parabrave
10-25-2020, 01:10 PM
Good. They need a high pick.

Problem is Jerry will fall in love with some tweener LB from San Marcos State and waste his 1st pick.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:14 PM
Problem is Jerry will fall in love with some tweener LB from San Marcos State and waste his 1st pick.

Likely but it?s better than no high pick at all.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:24 PM
The Cowboys are really paying this year from giving out big contracts to 3 unproductive players.

Jaylon Smith
DeMarcus Lawrence
Zeke Elliott

msstate7
10-25-2020, 01:29 PM
What if they completely crash? Like 2-14. Not sure that gets them Lawrence, but it probably would fields. Would they bite?

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-25-2020, 01:36 PM
The Cowboys are really paying this year from giving out big contracts to 3 unproductive players.

Jaylon Smith
DeMarcus Lawrence
Zeke Elliott

Paying zeke was so stupid. You can get a back in the 2nd round and have literally 98% of the production but for 1/15th the money, and little risk the rookie will be a lazy POS like Zeke has turned into since he got paid. It was dumb all round to pay a RB, especially one that (at the time) had always had a great OL.

The other 2 deserved to get paid, but were POS's that went to crap after getting paid. That's on the organization for not differentiating someone like Cox or KJ Wright that'll still perform vs someone that just wants a payday

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:37 PM
What if they completely crash? Like 2-14. Not sure that gets them Lawrence, but it probably would fields. Would they bite?

No.

Pay Dak, trade back, and use the extra picks on defense. Have to see what the deal with Tyron Smith is first though or you?ll have to get a LT.

You don?t draft Fields because your hope is that he turns into what Dak already is.

Dak getting hurt this year actually helps the Cowboys long term.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:40 PM
Paying zeke was so stupid. You can get a back in the 2nd round and have literally 98% of the production but for 1/15th the money, and little risk the rookie will be a lazy POS like Zeke has turned into since he got paid. It was dumb all round to pay a RB, especially one that (at the time) had always had a great OL.

The other 2 deserved to get paid, but were POS's that went to crap after getting paid. That's on the organization for not differentiating someone like Cox or KJ Wright that'll still perform vs someone that just wants a payday

Never pay a RB. The position needs someone with a chip on their shoulder playing it.

Just like Latins in baseball. You want them early in their career, don?t resign them for the big contract, and then reacquire them at the end of their career when they just want to win and have matured

Commercecomet24
They're finding out how good and important Dak is. Without him they're a boat without a rudder. As Reggie Jackson used to say "I'm the straw that stirs the drink", well that's Dak. Serve em all right if Dak left for a real team

msstate7
No.

Pay Dak, trade back, and use the extra picks on defense. Have to see what the deal with Tyron Smith is first though or you?ll have to get a LT.

You don?t draft Fields because your hope is that he turns into what Dak already is.

The thing is though, qbs on rookie contracts are immensely valuable. If they have a shot at Lawrence, dak won't be a cowboy. I think I agree with you though if it's fields. I think it gets a lot of thought though

Commercecomet24
10-25-2020, 01:43 PM
No.

Yeah they've got their qb if Dak decides to stay. They need help badly on defense and the ol

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:45 PM
The thing is though, qbs on rookie contracts are immensely valuable. If they have a shot at Lawrence, dak won't be a cowboy. I think I agree with you though if it's fields. I think it gets a lot of thought though

You probably have to weigh the talent difference in what type players you can get at your pick vs the types of players you could get in free agency.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 01:48 PM
You probably have to weigh the talent difference in what type players you can get at your pick vs the types of players you could get in free agency.

Moot point anyway... the nfc East is so bad, no way 1 team ends up with worst record. They'll beat each other

William Tecumsah Sherman
10-25-2020, 01:48 PM
The cowboys crash. They pick Lawrence. Brees wins super bowl with saints. Retires on top. Dak to saints.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:49 PM
The cowboys crash. They pick Lawrence. Brees wins super bowl with saints. Retires on top. Dak to saints.

Think if Dak went to NE with Belichick?

He?s win multiple SBs

Cowbell
10-25-2020, 02:14 PM
They're finding out how good and important Dak is. Without him they're a boat without a rudder. As Reggie Jackson used to say "I'm the straw that stirs the drink", well that's Dak. Serve em all right if Dak left for a real team

Dead on. All the dak haters are starting to see reality.

Cowbell
10-25-2020, 02:16 PM
Regardless of how you feel about Dak, the truth is that there is no way Dallas can pay him what he's worth and still fill all the holes they have. They are going to have to trade him to make things work, unless somehow they can trade zeke or Dlaw. I hope he ends up in NO.

Cowbell
10-25-2020, 02:17 PM
Also, if I'm dak, I want out. This team needs to rebuild badly on defense and the Oline.

Commercecomet24
10-25-2020, 02:54 PM
Think if Dak went to NE with Belichick?

He?s win multiple SBs

Would love to see Dak in New England and what he could so with a real oc and a defense.

And yeah with BB Dak could get him some hardware.

Cowbell
10-25-2020, 02:57 PM
Would love to see Dak in New England and what he could so with a real oc and a defense.

And yeah with BB Dak could get him some hardware.

It would be fun to see him get to play to his full potential

Commercecomet24
10-25-2020, 02:57 PM
It would be fun to see him get to play to his full potential

Exactly he's been handicapped in Dallas with the Jones boys running the show.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-25-2020, 03:37 PM
If I'm dak, I DEFINITELY want out:

Dallas was loaded, but poor coaching meant they won nothing. Then they paid the wrong people (coop the only one they should have paid) and made another bad hire. Now they're staring at rebuilding on D, rebuilding on OL, and rebuilding at coaching all while having several dead weight contracts holding them back (Lawrence's cap his is massive the next 3 years and he gives them nothing). I dont' see them winning anything of note for the 4 years Dak cares about.

Now, if I'm Dallas, I 1) tank, 2) sign Dak, 3) trade my pick back/for next year, 4) restructure my roster so I can build a new one after next season. But Jerry will probably go "yo this division is so bad we can trade a 2nd and a 4th round pick for name here QB, and we can make the playoffs!" only to go 6-10 and make nothing, then Tag Dak again, miss the playoffs again while getting a mid round draft spot, and then Dak leaves leaving them with terrible contracts, no QB, no high pick to get a QB, and no picks to build the rest of the roster. Oh, and Jerry will mess up the next hire too

Commercecomet24
10-25-2020, 04:04 PM
If I'm dak, I DEFINITELY want out:

Dallas was loaded, but poor coaching meant they won nothing. Then they paid the wrong people (coop the only one they should have paid) and made another bad hire. Now they're staring at rebuilding on D, rebuilding on OL, and rebuilding at coaching all while having several dead weight contracts holding them back (Lawrence's cap his is massive the next 3 years and he gives them nothing). I dont' see them winning anything of note for the 4 years Dak cares about.

Now, if I'm Dallas, I 1) tank, 2) sign Dak, 3) trade my pick back/for next year, 4) restructure my roster so I can build a new one after next season. But Jerry will probably go "yo this division is so bad we can trade a 2nd and a 4th round pick for name here QB, and we can make the playoffs!" only to go 6-10 and make nothing, then Tag Dak again, miss the playoffs again while getting a mid round draft spot, and then Dak leaves leaving them with terrible contracts, no QB, no high pick to get a QB, and no picks to build the rest of the roster. Oh, and Jerry will mess up the next hire too

Wow it can't get anymore accurate than that! Wonderfully well said!

BeardoMSU
10-25-2020, 04:15 PM

Exactly. All the dipshits who get paid to talk about sports (looking at you Skip, Shannon, Cowherd, et al.) were actually saying that the Cowboys would be BETTER with Dalton, lol....bold strategy, Cotton.

RocketDawg
10-25-2020, 04:20 PM

Jaylon Smith
DeMarcus Lawrence
Zeke Elliott

Zeke's a bit of a strange individual, and he's paid too much, but I don't think he's exactly unproductive. He's just not up to par with his salary. That said, I don't get to see Dallas play very much with Atlanta and Nashville being within spitting distance and their games are always carried locally, so I rarely get to see Zeke much. Maybe he's regressed.

Commercecomet24
10-26-2020, 08:34 AM
Exactly. All the dipshits who get paid to talk about sports (looking at you Skip, Shannon, Cowherd, et al.) were actually saying that the Cowboys would be BETTER with Dalton, lol....bold strategy, Cotton.

They're absolute geniuses 😂

Johnson85
10-26-2020, 10:36 AM
Regardless of how you feel about Dak, the truth is that there is no way Dallas can pay him what he's worth and still fill all the holes they have. They are going to have to trade him to make things work, unless somehow they can trade zeke or Dlaw. I hope he ends up in NO.

This. They were stupid to not sign Dak for market when they had the chance. Now if I'm him, and looking at how they've been handicapped by bad contracts, I'm not sure I'm interested. Even if he were to now give a "home" town discount, it wouldn't allow the cowboys to build a winner, it'd just offset some of the stupid mistakes they've made. If I'm Dak, I want top of market to offset playing for a dysfunctional franchise, or I'd make them franchise me again and wait until I can choose a team that is a QB away (or at least has competent management) to get into a long term contract with.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2020, 11:45 AM
This. They were stupid to not sign Dak for market when they had the chance. Now if I'm him, and looking at how they've been handicapped by bad contracts, I'm not sure I'm interested. Even if he were to now give a "home" town discount, it wouldn't allow the cowboys to build a winner, it'd just offset some of the stupid mistakes they've made. If I'm Dak, I want top of market to offset playing for a dysfunctional franchise, or I'd make them franchise me again and wait until I can choose a team that is a QB away (or at least has competent management) to get into a long term contract with.

I read an article talking about how they can't afford to tag him again. Due to the revenue drop, they have to sign him long term to spread out the cap hit or let him go. They would have to trade for cap space is the only way to tag him again. His tag goes up to around $39 Mil if they tag him again.

Johnson85
10-26-2020, 12:10 PM
I read an article talking about how they can't afford to tag him again. Due to the revenue drop, they have to sign him long term to spread out the cap hit or let him go. They would have to trade for cap space is the only way to tag him again. His tag goes up to around $39 Mil if they tag him again.

Even better, as long as other teams aren't spooked by his injury. I wonder if this injury will change his thought process on negotiations. If it could really meaningfully reduce the wear and tear on my body, if I were him, I'd consider signing for a discount with the understanding that the team I signed with would spend money and/or draft picks on OL and that I'd sit out if/when they tried to skimp. Not sure that really would reduce the wear and tear though.

msstate7
10-26-2020, 12:22 PM
Well if dak does hit FA, who are the suitors? Chicago, Jacksonville, Denver, Washington, New England, Indianapolis? I don't know all teams' financials, but Saints are definitely out... ton of dead money from brees contract next year.

parabrave
10-26-2020, 01:01 PM
Well if dak does hit FA, who are the suitors? Chicago, Jacksonville, Denver, Washington, New England, Indianapolis? I don't know all teams' financials, but Saints are definitely out... ton of dead money from brees contract next year.

New Orleans. Hopefully goes to a team that has a good OLine and receivers but needs a QB.. But most teams will hold off till they see how the leg is/

Homedawg
10-26-2020, 01:03 PM

They can't trade him. And NewOrleans has no room to sign him.

trob115
10-26-2020, 01:10 PM

I would add Tennessee and SF to that list.

I wish he could find a way to NO, but that's not possible.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2020, 02:14 PM
I would add Tennessee and SF to that list.

I wish he could find a way to NO, but that's not possible.

Possibly Minnesota also.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-26-2020, 02:27 PM
Man the more I think about this the more hopeless it becomes. Tyrone Smith is retiring soon and will need a 1st/2nd round pick to replace him, but he's always hurt and so is worthless if you try to trade him. DLaw has one of the worst contracts in football given his production, you cant give him away. So the only way they can get a pass rusher is to draft one so you don't have to pay him much, again a 1st/2nd round pick is required. Can't trade Zeke- who want a 15M a year RB that produces like a 3rd round rookie? Not to mention his off field issues and ego and the fact he is only going to get worse as he gets older...

That leaves Cooper (who's paid a lot so isn't going to fetch a ton if you trade him), Smith (same story as Cooper) Gallup, and LVE as the only talented guys you can trade. But you'd need to replace them via the draft, + get interior OL help, +DT, +Safety, +CB... you just can't get that if you trade the above, even in you hit on everyone you drafted. And this plan is still 3-4 years before those new guys will be in place and not rookies themselves, and the next year's drafted guys will have theri contracts run out before the god awful contracts run out so you still can't really keep the next round of talent

viverlibre
10-26-2020, 02:43 PM
I think some of you are undervaluing what it means to be QB1 for one of the most popular sports franchises on earth. Go to Jacksonville, Detroit, Buffalo, etc., and unless he wins a Super Bowl, he will toil in relative obscurity giving up tons of endorsement dollars, popularity and marketability as a sports personality after retirement.

Romo's popularity has grown since retirement and he never won anything, had he played in Jacksonville, he wouldn't have near the career he has now.

Johnson85
10-26-2020, 03:05 PM
I think some of you are undervaluing what it means to be QB1 for one of the most popular sports franchises on earth. Go to Jacksonville, Detroit, Buffalo, etc., and unless he wins a Super Bowl, he will toil in retaliate obscurity giving up tons of endorsement dollars, popularity and marketability as a sports personality after retirement.

Romo's popularity has grown since retirement and he never won anything, had he played in Jacksonville, he wouldn't have near the career he has now.

That's all true, but at the same time, Dak is going to make $100M on his next deal. He may want the chance to win more than extra endorsements.

As far Romo's post playing career, he needed to play for Dallas to do that. I don't think Dak will need that. It will help, but I think people will be beating down his door regardless as long as he continues to be reasonably successful just because of his personality. And then there's the x-factor, where winning championships for any franchise will I think do more for him than first round exits with a perpetually mismanaged dallas.

Cowbell
10-26-2020, 06:10 PM
They can't trade him. And NewOrleans has no room to sign him.
They absolutely can trade him. It is speculation now that they will franchise tag him in the spring again and trade him after that.

Cowbell
10-26-2020, 06:11 PM
I think some of you are undervaluing what it means to be QB1 for one of the most popular sports franchises on earth. Go to Jacksonville, Detroit, Buffalo, etc., and unless he wins a Super Bowl, he will toil in relative obscurity giving up tons of endorsement dollars, popularity and marketability as a sports personality after retirement.

Dak will reach a point where he wants a ring more than extra money. He will not get that here under this ownership anytime soon.

Homedawg
10-26-2020, 06:35 PM
They absolutely can trade him. It is speculation now that they will franchise tag him in the spring again and trade him after that.

Well yeah they can trade him legally. It who in The hell is going to trade for him when he has no contract after this year?? Nobody. They can either tag him again. Sign him to long term deal or he's a free agent. So.... again who would trade something for him when they have no guarantee they can sign him to another deal?

Cowbell
10-26-2020, 07:57 PM
Well yeah they can trade him legally. It who in The hell is going to trade for him when he has no contract after this year?? Nobody. They can either tag him again. Sign him to long term deal or he's a free agent. So.... again who would trade something for him when they have no guarantee they can sign him to another deal?

Well that's usually a condition of a trade when a player is under the FT (sign a new deal). They will not let him walk as a free agent when teams will line up to bid on him. This is what many experts thought the chiefs would do with Chris Jones this spring. Come on Brett - you are usually sharper than this.