PDA

View Full Version : My Expectations For the Bama Game

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 10:03 AM
- We?re going to lose.
- Bama has given on average 26 points per game this year, but they laid an Egg in Oxford and thus we need to readjust the average. My expectation: 17 pre 4th quarter/ garbage time points.
- My expectation is that Will Rogers shows signs of making the offense explosive. He?ll make some FR mistakes, but I don?t care about those. I just care about his ability to make plays.
- I?m not sure how to create OL expectations, but I don?t want to see missed assignments. If a Bama player just out athletes our RT, then I can live with that.
- Bama is averaging 48 points per game, my expectation is that we keep them at 42 or less and tackle well.
- We are within 2 scores into the 3rd quarter.

I will judge this game based off those expectations rather than win/loss. We need to see progress with this team, but the only way to measure that is to set reasonable expectations on the sliding scale of Bama.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 10:06 AM
Not sure starting Rogers is a good plan. We will not be able to block them, and they're gonna tee off on him.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 10:09 AM
Not sure starting Rogers is a good plan. We will not be able to block them, and they're gonna tee off on him.

You have to start him. If he?s a GUY he?ll play well. Trying to protect young players is a no go IMO. The good ones step up.

Bama?s defense hasn?t been great. They?ll look about like A&M?s, which wasn?t overwhelming.

We should compete in this game for a while IMO with them pulling away in the 3rd. Anything less is a disappointment

msstate7
10-25-2020, 10:10 AM
Delete

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 10:12 AM
So if leach doesn't, you want em fired? I mean, he has to, right?

Uh no. I?ll just be disappointed.

Where did you come up with stupid notion that I would want him fired? Are you an idiot with 3rd grade reading comprehension?

I think we should have gotten better with the bye week and these are my expectations

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 10:15 AM
Delete

Smart of you to delete your troll attempt

msstate7
10-25-2020, 10:16 AM
Uh no. I?ll just be disappointed.

Where did you come up with stupid notion that I would want him fired? Are you an idiot with 3rd grade reading comprehension?

I think we should have gotten better with the bye week and these are my expectations

You're saying the decision is a no brainer. I don't think it's so cut and dry. This offense is putrid, and Bama is gonna destroy that kid if he starts.

ETA... he's thrown against Kentucky unsuccessfully, and had a little success against a totally disengaged aTm. Bama will be full speed, live... it's gonna be ugly. Let em get the start vs vandy.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 10:20 AM
You're saying the decision is a no brainer. I don't think it's so cut and dry. This offense is putrid, and Bama is gonna destroy that kid if he starts.

If we got better in the off week and don?t miss assignments they won?t.

A&M didn?t kill Rogers and A&M?s defense is right there with Bama?s

Your basing your opinion on Bama?s helmet and not what their defense has been lately.

Will should do some good things in this game.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 10:23 AM

ETA... he's thrown against Kentucky unsuccessfully, and had a little success against a totally disengaged aTm. Bama will be full speed, live... it's gonna be ugly. Let em get the start vs vandy.

You?re entitled to your opinion although I disagree. You?re basically contorting A&M?s defense to fit your narrative.

I just don?t believe in hiding players. Good players step up and make plays. We need to find ASAP if Rogers is good.

The other option is to start KJ, which gives us no chance to move the ball.

Dawgology
10-25-2020, 10:33 AM
We gonna get blowed up.

But maybe we will score a couple Td’s. Our secondary is going to get exposed and exploited. We will lose by more than 24 points.

We just have to make sure Bama doesn’t beat us next weekend too when we play Vandy because, honestly, I see them as our only win left on the season.

parabrave
10-25-2020, 10:51 AM
I feel sorry for whoever is QB. He is not going to survive.

Maroonthirteen
10-25-2020, 11:06 AM
You start KJ this week. Bring in Rogers when Bama calls off the dogs.

Start Rogers next week when he has a real opportunity to run the offense.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 11:27 AM

I disagree. You start Rogers and don?t look back.

I?m not a believer in protecting freshmen. It takes a mentally tough person to play QB in the SEC and you?re better off finding out quickly whether or not your young QB has that.

If Will is a GUY, he?ll show some good things at Bama.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 11:27 AM
I feel sorry for whoever is QB. He is not going to survive.

Depends on how we?ve practiced the past 2 weeks.

Sienfield
10-25-2020, 12:10 PM
If we got better in the off week and don?t miss assignments they won?t.

A&M didn?t kill Rogers and A&M?s defense is right there with Bama?s

Your basing your opinion on Bama?s helmet and not what their defense has been lately.

Will should do some good things in this game.

I can't remember any year when we improved the next game after an off week. But my memory may not be accurate.

AROB44
10-25-2020, 12:15 PM
Well, Gun, you are going to be disappointed. Bama will score as much as they want and we might score a garbage score in the 4th quarter. This game will be over before the half......maybe in the 1st quarter.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 12:16 PM
I can't remember any year when we improved the next game after an off week. But my memory may not be accurate.

True but it?s hard for us to be worse.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 12:28 PM

I think this is putting the kid in a situation to succeed.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 12:32 PM
Well, Gun, you are going to be disappointed. Bama will score as much as they want and we might score a garbage score in the 4th quarter. This game will be over before the half......maybe in the 1st quarter.

Maybe. I?m always optimistic. What you describe would be unacceptable and very disheartening to me.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 12:33 PM
I think this is putting the kid in a situation to succeed.

Good coaches don?t do what you?re asking

msstate7
10-25-2020, 12:41 PM
Good coaches don?t do what you?re asking

Is mullen a good coach? He didn't start dak right away, but let him work himself into being ready. Same with saban and tua. Same with urban and Tebow. Now granted, I don't Rogers is on their level, and I doubt leach sees Rogers as long term guy anyway with sawyer committed.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 12:46 PM
Is mullen a good coach? He didn't start dak right away, but let him work himself into being ready. Same with saban and tua. Same with urban and Tebow. Now granted, I don't Rogers is on their level, and I doubt leach sees Rogers as long term guy anyway with sawyer committed.

Both Mullen and Urban had adequate starters though. Leake and Russell were likely more effective when both Tebow and Dak were really young.

Thus it?s a completely different situation. My guess, however, is that Tebow and Dak would?ve both played well if given the opportunity as a FR because DUDES are DUDES and playing most certainly wouldn?t have hurt their confidence

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 01:37 PM

Tyler Russell never struggled like KJ is. And let's be honest-many of Dan's personnel decisions were questionable throughout his tenure. Especially after 2010.

Percho
10-25-2020, 01:44 PM
Start Will and KH and just run the draw and punt. Or maybe we just should cancel the game. Whatever.

Anybody going to watch if it is on TV?

bluelightstar
10-25-2020, 01:45 PM
Why do you put yourself through this? Alabama is going to score as many points as they want to and we *might* score a touchdown before the 4th quarter.

Offshore Dawg
10-25-2020, 01:50 PM
63 to 3 Bama, their defense will have more yards in sacks than the dawgs have rushing. Wish it wasn't so

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:54 PM
63 to 3 Bama, their defense will have more yards in sacks than the dawgs have rushing. Wish it wasn't so

Good lord you people.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 01:58 PM
Good lord you people.

Don't know about score, but sacks vs our running yards is an interesting thought. Last week vs aTm, -2 rushing and 6 sacks allowed

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 02:10 PM
Don't know about score, but sacks vs our running yards is an interesting thought. Last week vs aTm, -2 rushing and 6 sacks allowed

Hopefully we figured somethings out at practice. Our pieces and parts are better than the way we’ve played. I’m hoping for a 38-17 type game.

R2Dawg
10-25-2020, 02:18 PM
Hopefully we figured somethings out at practice. Our pieces and parts are better than the way we?ve played. I?m hoping for a 38-17 type game.

Now that is funny. After 25+ years of doing something, it is going to take Leach more than 3 games to think he needs to change anything. We'll see the same thing rest of the year and probably into next year.

17 against Bama D where on O we've scored 21 pts in 3 games?

Love our D but injuries and not having an O is going to catch up with us - this week.

Hope I'm wrong and we do an about face.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 02:23 PM
Now that is funny. After 25+ years of doing something, it is going to take Leach more than 3 games to think he needs to change anything. We'll see the same thing rest of the year and probably into next year.

Love our D but injuries and not having an O is going to catch up with us - this week.

I’m not of the opinion that each has to change much for us to get going on offense.

Sorry I reject that narrative currently.

defiantdog
10-25-2020, 02:32 PM
Hopefully we figured somethings out at practice. Our pieces and parts are better than the way we’ve played. I’m hoping for a 38-17 type game.
17? That's only if we get points in garbage time. Will may be the future..... but Alabama will pin their ears back and blitz 3 against us and probably have 6 sacks by halftime.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 02:45 PM
17? That's only if we get points in garbage time. Will may be the future..... but Alabama will pin their ears back and blitz 3 against us and probably have 6 sacks by halftime.

We’ll see

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 04:25 PM

We have talent- but the problem is our veteran talent has crapped out this year. Especially Costello and Hill. Osiris drops way too many passes and has always been nothing more than average and Eiland has feet made out of concrete. Those are our main upperclass playmakers/impact guys coming into this year. Those guys are killing the offense this year.

Most of the rest of the team has talent but they're young- Rogers, Marks, Dillion Johnson, Walley, Cross, Dolla Bill, and Cole Smith- all are sophomores or younger. They will be good in time. Defense is about the same except they have guys like Kobe, Spencer, and Errol who are actually performing. That's the difference.

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 04:26 PM

Biggest thing is the offensive line needs to figure out who the hell they are blocking.

And Leach needs to figure out that Costello is a complete head case and that we need to go with Rogers going forward.

RocketDawg
10-25-2020, 04:27 PM

You think we'll be close enough to score a field goal? Counting on a turnover? **

Jarius
10-25-2020, 06:46 PM
Alabama is not dominant defensively. Not starting Will is a ridiculous take, even if they were. I can’t believe the way some people think. We won’t win and it won’t be close, but damn. Don’t start the best player because he may get rattled? Lord have mercy

msstate7
10-25-2020, 06:50 PM
Alabama is not dominant defensively. Not starting Will is a ridiculous take, even if they were. I can’t believe the way some people think. We won’t win and it won’t be close, but damn. Don’t start the best player because he may get rattled? Lord have mercy
So what do you think of leach if Costello starts?

parabrave
10-25-2020, 07:00 PM

He might be saving Rogers life.

Jarius
10-25-2020, 07:01 PM

I will think he believes KJ is the best option to play (Will is starting by the way). I would not agree with him in that assessment but he is not holding Will out because he thinks he may shatter his confidence.

Jarius
10-25-2020, 07:03 PM
He might be saving Rogers life.

Alabama gave up 45 points to Ole Miss. what have you been watching? Are we just going to not play Will all year because our offensive line sucks? If that is the case why put him in against Kentucky or A&M? They are just as good as Alabama dedensivey. He didn’t get killed against them.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-25-2020, 07:14 PM

This part is a really bad take. He came in Vs Kentucky and immediately put together the best drive of the night, and threw a TD that Mitchell let get ripped away from him. Then vs A&M he put together the only drive forth a flip all night and scored. I think he's only had 4 total drives- half of them ending in TD's is REALLY good for a true Fr that missed 2 weeks of practice with Covid and didn't get many reps with the 1s. He's going to get better quickly.

As far as starting him vs Bama, I think it depends on the OL. If they've shored up just the assignments that's half the pressures eliminated. Bama's DL isn't better than A&Ms. I'd start him in that case. If the OL still sucks I can at least give some weight to the "don't let him get mentally scared" opinion.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 07:28 PM
This part is a really bad take. He came in Vs Kentucky and immediately put together the best drive of the night, and threw a TD that Mitchell let get ripped away from him. Then vs A&M he put together the only drive forth a flip all night and scored. I think he's only had 4 total drives- half of them ending in TD's is REALLY good for a true Fr that missed 2 weeks of practice with Covid and didn't get many reps with the 1s. He's going to get better quickly.

As far as starting him vs Bama, I think it depends on the OL. If they've shored up just the assignments that's half the pressures eliminated. Bama's DL isn't better than A&Ms. I'd start him in that case. If the OL still sucks I can at least give some weight to the "don't let him get mentally scared" opinion.

9/15 43 yds (2.9 yds/att) 0 td 2 int
20.7 qbr

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-25-2020, 07:49 PM
9/15 43 yds (2.9 yds/att) 0 td 2 int
20.7 qbr

1 TD 1 INT, you're smart enough to see that Mitchell is at fault for that first one. In fact I'm done with this, I need to stop engaging with people who don't argue in good faith- if you were willing to have a real discussion, you wouldn't bring up the Mitchell INT

msstate7
10-25-2020, 07:55 PM
1 TD 1 INT, you're smart enough to see that Mitchell is at fault for that first one. In fact I'm done with this, I need to stop engaging with people who don't argue in good faith- if you were willing to have a real discussion, you wouldn't bring up the Mitchell INT

I deal in reality. Ifs ands and buts are fantasy

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 10:04 PM
I need to stop engaging with people who don't argue in good faith- if you were willing to have a real discussion, you wouldn't bring up the Mitchell INT

Completely agree. He plays Devil's Advocate just to play it. I've never understood by have accepted it.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 10:05 PM
I deal in reality. Ifs ands and buts are fantasy

Which doesn't actually help in making predictions.

Sure, you sound smart when you say that, but it's actually counter productive to you accurately predicting what's going to happen next. To be good at that, you've got to balance reality with the ifs and buts.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 10:10 PM
Which doesn't actually help in making predictions.

Sure, you sound smart when you say that, but it's actually counter productive to you accurately predicting what's going to happen next. To be good at that, you've got to balance reality with the ifs and buts.

Look, I saw enough in Rogers vs aTm to want him to get a shot, but the Kentucky game was awful. Almost every pass was just a dump off evident by the yds/att.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 10:13 PM
Look, I saw enough in Rogers vs aTm to want him to get a shot, but the Kentucky game was awful. Almost every pass was just a dump off evident by the yds/att.

But that's your opinion and not reality. What you say is reality is actually just your opinion with stats you found to fit your narrative.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 10:15 PM
But that's your opinion and not reality. What you say is reality is actually just your opinion with stats you found to fit your narrative.

Why do you think leach pulled Rogers in that game and went back to Costello? I mean, Rogers was killing it, right?

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 10:22 PM
Why do you think leach pulled Rogers in that game and went back to Costello? I mean, Rogers was killing it, right?

I personally think Leach is struggling with the Rogers thing because he's always valued experience and age at QB. I think I heard at one point that he hated young QBs. So, I think in many ways he's fighting his own beliefs in the game of football right now.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 10:26 PM
I personally think Leach is struggling with the Rogers thing because he's always valued experience and age at QB. I think I heard at one point that he hated young QBs. So, I think in many ways he's fighting his own beliefs in the game of football right now.

I think he replaced Costello with Rogers bc Costello was very ineffective. I think he replaced Rogers with Costello for the same reason. Neither were good... not even remotely.

defiantdog
10-25-2020, 10:38 PM
I think he replaced Costello with Rogers bc Costello was very ineffective. I think he replaced Rogers with Costello for the same reason. Neither were good... not even remotely.

Y'all better get ready for costello to start against Bama

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 11:11 PM

The reality is Rogers practiced about half of that week. The other reality is yes, Osiris bitched out and cost us a TD pass and that wasn't Rogers fault. A lot of QB's- like Brady would have jumped his ass on the sideline for that shit effort. The other INT was the last play of the game where he tried to push the ball down the field which is exactly what a QB should do in that situation.

Cowbell
10-25-2020, 11:17 PM

I disagree with this and our defense deserves more respect than this.

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 11:18 PM

Yep. The thing about how Leach runs his offense- he gives a formation, a play and usually a check. The play is merely a suggestion. Leach relies on the QB to change the play and expects the QB to change the play and essentially call the game because in Leach's view the QB can see things better from his point of view. And that's why Leach tends to err on the side of experience at the QB position. The unique thing here is Rogers has more experience in a system like the Air Raid than Costello does even though he is a younger and less experienced player. And the other part of that is I don't think Costello knows the offense well enough to know what to call or do vs an 8 man coverage. And that's why I think Costello has lost his confidence. He just simply does not know the offense well enough at this point to know what to do. It seems to me like we run mesh every almost every play almost or inside zone and we haven't really seen a lot of wheel routes with the RB, not very many screens, not a lot of four verticals, etc. Some of those plays could be effective against an 8 man zone.

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 11:22 PM

I think he was hoping that by giving Costello a step back he could re-focus and it didn't work and then he pulled Rogers after he made a risky throw while going down to the ground. Fact of the matter remains that he eventually pulled Costello again and Rogers played better than Costello especially if you know the context of what happened in the game.

Y'all better get ready for costello to start against Bama

Would not shock me at all. I was laughing at the Texas A&M game about Costello's "short leash" that lasted well into the third quarter. I do think that if Costello starts Rogers will play as well.

Dannyripms
10-26-2020, 12:35 AM
Leach will do what he thinks is best. I kind of think we need to go with rogers myself though. The Oline has got to get better regardless of who's in there. I understand some points with not starting rogers as you don't want to kill his confidence but if he is head strong like dak it will only build a fire to go harder and get better.

BuckyIsAB****
10-26-2020, 07:05 PM
If Leach is in to win this year, Will starts. If leach is trying not to ruin his QB, Costello starts

BuckyIsAB****
10-26-2020, 07:07 PM

Or maybe will had not repped 2 min drill with the 1s bc he was sick. But to your point, there is something holding leach back from starting will

msstate7
10-26-2020, 07:17 PM
Or maybe will had not repped 2 min drill with the 1s bc he was sick.

Well that sorta makes sense, but Rogers was pulled on 2nd down of the drive. Seems if we knew we were going 2 min drill, he'd go ahead and get Costello out there on 1st down too.

Cowbell
10-26-2020, 08:12 PM
The reason I believe Leach keeps giving Costello a shot is because he feels like he owes it to him due to convincing him to transfer here (which usually involves promises). Other reasons are The Oline problems are a big contributor to his shortcomings and Will is too young and inexperienced to put a gap between them. If either of these two things changed, Will would clearly start going forward.

Todd4State
10-26-2020, 08:57 PM
The reason I believe Leach keeps giving Costello a shot is because he feels like he owes it to him due to convincing him to transfer here (which usually involves promises). Other reasons are The Oline problems are a big contributor to his shortcomings and Will is too young and inexperienced to put a gap between them. If either of these two things changed, Will would clearly start going forward.

I suspect (I am not an insider or at practice or anything like that so this is just a guess based on interviews) what is happening is Costello is probably practicing pretty well and not translating it over during game time. And Rogers being a freshman probably has some freshman moments in practice I'm sure which closes the gap between the two. The difference is Will performs better when the lights are on.

Coach34
10-26-2020, 09:04 PM
Costello looks better in practice going against the scout team....making throws vs a sub par D. Then when SEC D's jump out there- it's a holy shit I'm not in the Pac-12 anymore moment for him.

Roll with Rogers and let him take his lumps and grow. He is a coaches kid- he wont fold under the pressure and it will make him better in the long run

TaleofTwoDogs
10-26-2020, 11:33 PM

^^^THIS ^^^ Your memory is just fine.

Todd4State
10-26-2020, 11:39 PM
Costello looks better in practice going against the scout team....making throws vs a sub par D. Then when SEC D's jump out there- it's a holy shit I'm not in the Pac-12 anymore moment for him.

Roll with Rogers and let him take his lumps and grow. He is a coaches kid- he wont fold under the pressure and it will make him better in the long run

And no crowd there. I think Costello is a complete head case.

Todd4State
10-26-2020, 11:39 PM
^^^THIS ^^^ Your memory is just fine.

Doesn't matter this year.