PDA

View Full Version : Eli Drinkwitz

msstate7
10-25-2020, 07:02 AM
I really think this guy is gonna be good. After looking really bad in first 2 games (Bama ok, but tenn not), mizzou has come around. Beating lsu, they threw for over 400. Beating Kentucky, they ran for over 200. Not being married to all run or all pass seems to be the way to go.

KOdawg1
10-25-2020, 07:47 AM
Out of the 4 new coaches in the SEC, he and Pittman have done better than Kiffin and Leach so far. Who would've guessed that?

Rick Danko
10-25-2020, 08:01 AM
Out of the 4 new coaches in the SEC, he and Pittman have done better than Kiffin and Leach so far. Who would've guessed that?

As a lifelong Mississippi State fan, I saw it coming from a mile away....

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-25-2020, 08:35 AM

A career OL coach and a guy with 1 year of a HC experience, going 11-1 at a team that was 10-2 the year before and built by someone else. Vs a guy that's a proven great offensive mind and turned around FAU, and another guy that won National Coach of the year twice at 2 crapholes.

Just goes to show that Resume =/ future success. Hiring is a crapshoot. Even Saban and Dabo and Urban and Mullen would be "terrible hires" if you go back far enough in their careers.

Remember that next time we hire a coach. Don't get obsessed with any particular candidate because the resume -or lack of one- doesn't tell the full story.

confucius say
10-25-2020, 08:38 AM
I'm on record as wanting him last December.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-25-2020, 08:52 AM
Cohen chose to overpay a system coach 10 years past his prime.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 08:56 AM
A career OL coach and a guy with 1 year of a HC experience, going 11-1 at a team that was 10-2 the year before and built by someone else. Vs a guy that's a proven great offensive mind and turned around FAU, and another guy that won National Coach of the year twice at 2 crapholes.

Just goes to show that Resume =/ future success. Hiring is a crapshoot. Even Saban and Dabo and Urban and Mullen would be "terrible hires" if you go back far enough in their careers.

Remember that next time we hire a coach. Don't get obsessed with any particular candidate because the resume -or lack of one- doesn't tell the full story.

So you?re ready to change hiring practices after 4 games?

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 08:57 AM

4 games

chef dixon
10-25-2020, 09:47 AM
It's 4 games into a jacked up season. It takes literally one game to completely change your stance on something like this. And also, Kentucky is a really bad team. That was evident in our game against them. There's a lot of bad teams at the bottom of this conference.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 09:51 AM
It's 4 games into a jacked up season. It takes literally one game to completely change your stance on something like this. And also, Kentucky is a really bad team. That was evident in our game against them. There's a lot of bad teams at the bottom of this conference.

Drinkwitz realizing lsu was weak against the pass and Kentucky was weak against the run and having the ability to exploit both with a multiple offense is the sign of a good coach imo.

NCDawg
10-25-2020, 10:58 AM
Drinkwitz, Satterfield, Neal Brown, were all on the market 3 years ago when Cohen passed them up to hire Moorehead.

TrapGame
10-25-2020, 11:19 AM
Drinkwitz, Satterfield, Neal Brown, were all on the market 3 years ago when Cohen passed them up to hire Moorehead.

Yep. Cohen got horrible advice from someone. I heard Satterfield's agent called for an interview and he was told we weren't interested. I hope that's just a BS rumor.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 11:35 AM

Ugh.

DownwardDawg
10-25-2020, 11:53 AM

We should have went with a coach that runs a Mullen/Malzahn type offense. In other words, keep doing what we did when Mullen was here but a better recruiter. And for everyone saying the SEC has changed and you have to go pass happy, it'll change back and we'll wait 10 years after everyone else before we decide to try it. Frustrating.

KOdawg1
10-25-2020, 12:02 PM
Yep. Cohen got horrible advice from someone. I heard Satterfield's agent called for an interview and he was told we weren't interested. I hope that's just a BS rumor.

I really hope that's BS too. What a terrible decision if true.

Kyle Whittingham from Utah was also interested but we screwed that up too.

vv83
10-25-2020, 01:13 PM
4 games

Except we knew this the day he hired him

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:17 PM
Except we knew this the day he hired him

No we didn?t. The only thing we currently know is Arnett is good and the offense is having bugger growing pains that we hoped for.

That?s it. After that it?s only your opinion.

vv83
10-25-2020, 01:20 PM
No we didn?t. You still don?t know anything
You argued with me after the LSU game how KJ was a lock to be a top 5 pick and that I need to think and not listen to the media when I told you that was stupid. I?m starting to think you?re the one who doesn?t know anything.

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:22 PM

You argued with me after the LSU game how KJ was a lock to be a top 5 pick and that I need to think and not listen to the media when I told you that was stupid. I?m starting to think you?re the one who doesn?t know anything.

Yeah. I whiffed on KJ. I was wrong. It took me a while to see how slow his feet were.

That being said, what you?re saying just isn?t logical. Not saying you?re wrong but your logic isn?t rational.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 01:25 PM
Yeah. I whiffed on KJ. I was wrong. It took me a while to see how slow his feet were.

That being said, what you?re saying just isn?t logical. Not saying you?re wrong but your logic isn?t rational.

You go off the deep end every year it seems... Stevens better passer than dak. Now Rogers is the savior

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:29 PM
You go off the deep end every year it seems... Stevens better passer than dak. Now Rogers is the savior

I still say that Stevens threw a better ball than college Dak. It?s just that everything else sucked.

But you?re mostly correct. I jump to conclusions on our QBs too quickly.

That being said, we know KJ isn?t good, and Will seems to have a chance to be good. We need to find out now.

Percho
10-25-2020, 01:30 PM
I'm just glad he had enough sense not to hire Nick Saban and Little Nickie come in here be 1 and 3 because he is a washed up coach. Thank God!

msstate7
10-25-2020, 01:30 PM
I still say that Stevens threw a better ball than college Dak. It?s just that everything else sucked.

But you?re mostly correct. I jump to conclusions on our QBs too quickly.

That being said, we know KJ isn?t good, and Will seems to have a chance to be good. We need to find out now.

I'm with you on Rogers. I just wanna wait a week. Tuscaloosa is one hell of a place to debut

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-25-2020, 01:31 PM
So you?re ready to change hiring practices after 4 games?

No that's not what I'm saying. Obviously the odds are Leach is the best of the 4. I'm not advocating we just throw a dart at a list of names

What I'm saying is we as fans need to chill out. We shouldn't obsess over the resumes of people or go "well X hasn't showed me enough" or be confident we/another school did good or failed. We still won't know anything for another 2ish years honestly. Even now I'd take Leach again if you offered me a choice between the 4. Maybe that'll be different in a year

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2020, 01:32 PM
I'm with you on Rogers. I just wanna wait a week. Tuscaloosa is one hell of a place to debut

Which is understandable. It?s just from experience in this area, that I don?t think protecting him does any good and that TYPICALLY good players will show you they?re good players vs everyone. They may make mistakes but they flash good stuff.

msstate7
10-25-2020, 01:32 PM
I'm just glad he had enough sense not to hire Nick Saban and Little Nickie come in here be 1 and 3 because he is a washed up coach. Thank God!

Saban removes any doubt of future success bc he recruits better than anyone, ever. When saban struggled at Bama his first year, he was putting together perhaps the best recruiting class ever

Percho
10-25-2020, 02:22 PM
Saban removes any doubt of future success bc he recruits better than anyone, ever. When saban struggled at Bama his first year, he was putting together perhaps the best recruiting class ever

They were busy buying bags that year for the future. They must have bought a lot of bags.

Cowbell
10-25-2020, 03:04 PM
Drinkwitz realizing lsu was weak against the pass and Kentucky was weak against the run and having the ability to exploit both with a multiple offense is the sign of a good coach imo.
I agree with this. Coaches that don't adapt will never overachieve.

PGHBulldogBG
10-25-2020, 04:50 PM
I remember a lot of people on here thought Napier was better than Drinkwitz even though Drinkwitz beat him twice. I was hoping Cohen would redeem himself for hiring Moorhead over Neal Brown and Scott Satterfield. Pretty soon there will be a thread on Jamie Chadwell as well. Another guy who will be at a major school soon. Klieman was also available when we hired Moorhead.

confucius say
10-25-2020, 09:10 PM

Funny that Saban was an average recruiter at mich state, got to l$u and tu$caloo$a and became the best recruiter in the history of the sport at 50 years old. Crazy. Not saying not true. Just crazy.

Really Clark?
10-25-2020, 09:23 PM

To be fair, no P5 program was looking to hire an OC at NC St, Drinkwitz, as a first time HC when we hired Moorehead. That wasn?t a pass by Cohen and this board would have melted if we had made that hire over Moorehead at the time.

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 09:51 PM
I remember a lot of people on here thought Napier was better than Drinkwitz even though Drinkwitz beat him twice. I was hoping Cohen would redeem himself for hiring Moorhead over Neal Brown and Scott Satterfield. Pretty soon there will be a thread on Jamie Chadwell as well. Another guy who will be at a major school soon. Klieman was also available when we hired Moorhead.

I don't know about Chadwell- he has some NCAA issues in his past at other schools.

Cohen's biggest issue with the Moorhead hire was he took advice from other failed MSU AD's about MSU only being able to hire an up and coming coordinator for our football position.

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 09:53 PM

The fact that even he struggled should tell our fans something about being patient. It's not like he took over a complete dumpster fire of a program over.