PDA

View Full Version : We should follow Baylor's lead

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I'm watching the pregame show for the Baylor game and they had an interesting piece on Baylor's rise. In their first 14 seasons in the bIG12, they won 14 times. 11-85 in 12 seasons and 3 of those were winless in the conference. Everything changed in 2008 when Briles was hired and RG III won the heisman later on. The players they interviewed said they didn't think much about Baylor or like them growing up.
Briles record starting in 2008:
4-8
4-8
7-6
10-3
8-5
Currently 7-0
Interesting...

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm watching the pregame show for the Baylor game and they had an interesting piece on Baylor's rise. In their first 14 seasons in the bIG12, they won 14 times. 11-85 in 12 seasons and 3 of those were winless in the conference. Everything changed in 2008 when Briles was hired and RG III won the heisman later on. The players they interviewed said they didn't think much about Baylor or like them growing up.
4-8
4-8
7-6
10-3
8-5
Currently 7-0
Interesting...

There really isn't any lead to follow. I've been to a number of Baylor games over the last 3 years, and they are a very non-physical team that has a good coach, but would probably get their teeth kicked in if they had to play physical football teams every year.

Furthermore, the state of Texas has so many "polished" high school players, not necessarily talented but well coached and polished, that Baylor can run a very finesse offense and get away with it against Big 12 teams.

We don't recruit those types of players and those types of players likely wouldn't workout in the SEC over the long haul.

What works for them wouldn't work for us.

FlabLoser
11-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Baylor playing some good D.

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Don't forget that Texas kicked the crap out of this OU team. I don't want to take anything away from Baylor, because they are good, but I don't think that what they have done is in anyway replicable for MSU. Different talent, different conference, different "type" of school, and different challenges.

Dawg61
11-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Baylor with a huge goalline stand and then OU gets a safety. 3-2 Baylor. Please let that score stand up.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-07-2013, 08:30 PM
I'd glady take the success they've had and a heisman trophy winner.
Recruiting numbers from 247:
Baylor/MSU
40/42
53/19
39/29
46/34
26/22
27/25
Another note, #6 just got saved by his team on that goal line stand. He wasn't even looking when they snapped the ball on fourth down.

Coach34
11-07-2013, 08:51 PM
4-8
4-8
7-6
10-3
8-5
Currently 7-0
Interesting...

well, it's just really easy to do. Wonder why nobody but Baylor thought of it?

Coach34
11-07-2013, 08:54 PM
There really isn't any lead to follow. I've been to a number of Baylor games over the last 3 years, and they are a very non-physical team that has a good coach, but would probably get their teeth kicked in if they had to play physical football teams every year.

Furthermore, the state of Texas has so many "polished" high school players, not necessarily talented but well coached and polished, that Baylor can run a very finesse offense and get away with it against Big 12 teams.

We don't recruit those types of players and those types of players likely wouldn't workout in the SEC over the long haul.

What works for them wouldn't work for us.

Baylor is Texas Tech when The Pirate was there. That system works out there and they get Texas kids that are polished. And then when they play a real team- they get their teeth kicked in.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Would Oklahoma be considered a good team?

Coach34
11-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Would Oklahoma be considered a good team?

nope...they have played a shit schedule to get to 7-2

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-08-2013, 08:59 AM
nope...they have played a shit schedule to get to 7-2
Ehh...I guess so. I guess we'll see when Baylor plays Okie State. I mean, surely they fit the mold of a "real" team.

smootness
11-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Am I missing something? What is the lead we should follow here? Win games and recruit Heisman winners? Yes, I agree, we should follow that lead.

Better yet, why not follow Alabama's lead from back in the day, hire the greatest coach of all-time, and win national championships?

I guess I don't get the point of this post; is it just to say, 'Baylor got better! We should do that, too!'?

Maroonthirteen
11-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Last night as I watched that game, I was thinking if Baylor can acheive these things, so can State. But then I recalled they have 4 cities within 200 miles which gives them quadruple the population to recruit.

Mullen is going to have to make some inroads around the south for us to increase the talent level.

Jack Lambert
11-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Last night as I watched that game, I was thinking if Baylor can acheive these things, so can State. But then I recalled they have 4 cities within 200 miles which gives them quadruple the population to recruit.

Mullen is going to have to make some inroads around the south for us to increase the talent level.

Yeah and they don't have Bama, LSU, South Carolina (or two other SEC East team) and Johnny Football to play every year.

1998Dawg
11-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Yea! Why didn't we think of following Baylors lead and having a successful program by now??

You should send an email to Strick and let him know.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Look I'm sick of the got damn excuses...I was just pointing out the fact that they don't have a history of winning and we're in the same boat. They were at the bottom of their conference and now they're competing for the title. They've found their niche and a good coach, why can't we do the same? My bad, I'll fall in with the rest of the crowd that thinks we can be like USCe, talking about a ****ing reach. I guess it's good for Baylor that they have people that didn't say "but, but, but what about Texas and Oklahoma, surely we can't compete with them".

Coach34
11-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Look I'm sick of the got damn excuses...I was just pointing out the fact that they don't have a history of winning and we're in the same boat. They were at the bottom of their conference and now they're competing for the title. They've found their niche and a good coach, why can't we do the same? .

If we played in weaker conference, we'd be much better too. Hell, we would probably be 7-2 right now with Oklahoma's schedule just like they are

Baylor would be 5th at best in the SEC

smootness
11-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Look I'm sick of the got damn excuses...I was just pointing out the fact that they don't have a history of winning and we're in the same boat. They were at the bottom of their conference and now they're competing for the title. They've found their niche and a good coach, why can't we do the same? My bad, I'll fall in with the rest of the crowd that thinks we can be like USCe, talking about a ****ing reach. I guess it's good for Baylor that they have people that didn't say "but, but, but what about Texas and Oklahoma, surely we can't compete with them".

My point was not to say that we shouldn't be like Baylor. But you didn't offer up any area where we can follow Baylor's lead. What do you mean when you say that? We should win more? Everyone agrees with you. But how do we get there? What is Baylor doing that we can emulate? That is a productive discussion, not just saying, 'That team is winning, win like them!' If it was as easy as just realizing other teams are winning and wanting to do the same, everyone would be doing it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-08-2013, 10:09 AM
If we played in weaker conference, we'd be much better too. Hell, we would probably be 7-2 right now with Oklahoma's schedule just like they are

Baylor would be 5th at best in the SEC
Bullshit, we couldn't beat OSU, so what makes you so confident we could compete with the other teams? The crazy thing is, if we switched to the bIG12, we'd be a middle of the pack team. Out of the top teams in that conference, who would we beat?

Considering where we've been, I'd take 5th in the SEC all day long.

Coach34
11-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Bullshit, we couldn't beat OSU, so what makes you so confident we could compete with the other teams? .

Baylor 5-0 8-0
Texas 5-0 6-2
Oklahoma State 4-1 7-1
Oklahoma 4-2 7-2
Texas Tech 4-2 7-2
Kansas State 2-3 4-4
West Virginia 2-4 4-5
TCU 1-5 3-6
Kansas 0-5 2-6
Iowa State 0-5 1-7

A) Ok State is one of the best teams in the B12
B) We are alot better offensively now than we were that day

slickdawg
11-08-2013, 10:34 AM
4-8
4-8
7-6
10-3
8-5
Currently 7-0
Interesting...

Nobody pointing out its his sixth season?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-08-2013, 10:52 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1819716-big-12-football-baylor-and-texas-techs-rise-to-the-top-of-the-conference
"In some ways, Baylor and Texas Tech got here the same way.
The charismatic coaches, high-powered offenses and emerging defenses can be claimed by both teams.
Let’s start out with those coaches.
Without Art Briles and Kliff Kingsbury, there is no discussion like this at all. Baylor would be the Baylor of old (the one that won 14 conference games the first 14 years the Big 12 existed) and Texas Tech would be in the midst of regrouping from Tommy Tuberville’s sudden departure to Cincinnati."
"It’s taken special coaches to get the Bears and Red Raiders where they are today, and these guys are perfect fits for their programs.
Both Briles and Kingsbury are up-tempo, offensive-minded coaches that are absolutely beloved by their respective fan bases.
That charisma is shown on the recruiting trails, too."
"More importantly, Baylor and Texas Tech seem to have developed their players’ talent as good as anyone in the conference.
Case in point: While Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas toy around with their highly-recruited QBs, Baylor and Texas Tech have turned their lower-rated quarterbacks into stars.
Baylor’s Bryce Petty has waited his turn behind Robert Griffin III and Nick Florence for three years, but now he puts up stats even better than theirs. His 219.0 passing efficiency leads the entire nation according to the NCAA's stats."
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/9939336/art-briles-recruiting-plays-huge-role-baylor-bears-rise
""Coach Briles was honest with me every step of the recruiting process, and that's something I didn't believe with the other schools that recruited me," said Briles' most famous recruit, Robert Griffin III, when the Heisman winner committed to Baylor. "The other schools told me they would give me a shot at quarterback, but he was open with me about the opportunity to come in as a quarterback from day one at Houston and then at Baylor.""
"In his first full year recruiting at Baylor, he landed four players who eventually made NFL rosters, with several more from this year's team currently drawing NFL attention. And let's not forget that Briles was one of only a few coaches who believed Griffin was talented enough to be a college quarterback."
"Also engrained in Briles is tremendous attention to detail and a tireless work ethic. Kendal Briles said when the staff arrived at Baylor, his father pushed his assistants to work harder than everybody to overcome the perception Baylor was always going to be at the bottom of the Big 12. Briles also made it clear he wasn't going to cede the state's top players to traditional recruiting powers Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma."
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/75339/baylor-rise-goes-back-to-2011-ou-win
http://baylorlariat.com/2013/11/06/baylor-athletics-soaring-thanks-to-ian-mccaw/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=baylor-athletics-soaring-thanks-to-ian-mccaw
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--from-hopeless-to-high-octane-baylor-art-briles-074315681.html
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/11/01/2844340/baylor-from-big-12-bottom-to-leading.html
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2013/jul/24/once-tied-ku-bu-rising/?big12_2009
"“The first thing I felt like we had to do was be respected and be credible because neither one of those things were facts at that time,” said Briles, now in his sixth season at Baylor. “So the first thing we had to do was make people respect us as opponents and then be a credible, formidable opponent, which we’ve accomplished both of those.”
As Briles continued to talk about the transformation from perennial doormat to national contender and his players chimed in, the whole process sounded very much in line with what second-year Kansas coach Charlie Weis and the Jayhawks are attempting to do.
“Learning how to get people close-knit really quick,” said senior offensive tackle Cyril Richardson when asked to pinpoint the most important ingredient in the rebuilding project. “Being a college athlete, you think five years is a long time, but it really isn’t. You gotta join together early and get with these guys and learn from them and see what they’ve experienced. That’s everything. And I think that’s what we do best. We learn from each other.”
In order to go from tied with Kansas for last in the league to three straight bowl seasons, Briles said the entire Baylor program had to lock in on the little things, which included as many things off the field as on.
“I think it’s about everything,” he said. “It’s about how you walk, how you talk, how people listen and look at ya. It’s gotta start with how you brush your teeth and, if you got any hair, how you comb it.”"

Briles earns just $2,426,360, which ranks 34th nationally. Kliff Kingsbury gets paid $1.86 million, which ranks 53rd nationally. Dan Mullen gets paid $2.7 and ranks 23rd nationally.