PDA

View Full Version : 14 penalties in 4 sec games

Alphadog
11-07-2013, 07:32 PM
I know we haven't played well but the other teams have 14 penalties in 4 games against us. Anyone have any reasonable explanation for this?

Political Hack
11-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Slive.

???

Coach34
11-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Edited due to not reading the post before posting

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2013, 07:36 PM
I think he means that the other teams only have 3.5 penalties per game against us. Maybe because the game is over and the pressure is off late in games, so the other team stays relaxed and just plays?

Alphadog
11-07-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't do the conspiracy thing and it is probably just a coincidence. But you would think with some of the guys we have on the dl. We could get a holding call go our way every once in a while

Alphadog
11-07-2013, 07:41 PM
You may be right. I can't remember any obvious missed PI calls or offsides that were missed. Actually the only penalty that stands out to me went in our favor. That being the uk onside kick

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Like they say: sometimes things like this have a way of regressing to the mean and evening out. Perhaps that means that we will get some breaks in the latter part of this season or get a ton of breaks next season.

I have found that the things that even themselves out overtime in football are: Injuries (if you don't have many one year, watch out next year), penalties, and game changing turnovers (If you get a ton one year, you better find another way to win next year)

MarketingBully01
11-07-2013, 07:45 PM
The holds by Kentucky and the non facemask not called on Kentucky. Trust me, they got the majority of the calls in that game. That was a legitimate offsides on the kickoff against Kentucky too...

gravedigger
11-07-2013, 07:47 PM
I absolutely hate this saying but I think it applies here.....we are Mississippi State.

but in a more practical sense, I think it's because teams don't have to do much to slow us down but play bend but don't break defense. That doesn't require much blitzing, late hits or extra effort. Also we don't garner many interference calls.

We don't blitz as much as I thought we would so that doesn't make for many holding calls or presnap offensive penalties for the other teams offense.

When you think about it, what do we do to CAUSE other teams to get penalized?

CJDAWG85
11-07-2013, 08:28 PM
The holds by Kentucky and the non facemask not called on Kentucky. Trust me, they got the majority of the calls in that game. That was a legitimate offsides on the kickoff against Kentucky too...

Um I watched the replay and he was not offsides. But you were right on the other non calls.

SallyStansbury
11-08-2013, 06:36 AM
I know we haven't played well but the other teams have 14 penalties in 4 games against us. Anyone have any reasonable explanation for this?

Or it could be that our D linemen rush straight ahead in an attempt to "contain" and play zone/lane assignments. Probably not requiring the O-linemen to have to hold them to stop them.
DB's so far off the receivers they would have difficulty getting an interference penalty if they wanted one.

By and large our O-linemen appear fairly disciplined which should mean Hevesy is doing a reasonable job with coaching, credit where credit is due. I don't know the #'s for our Offense, but we seem to play reasonably well with relatively few penalties?

Don't think it is a conspiracy, just a result of our vanilla approach.

To answer your question we would have to compare the penalties called against AU vs MSU against the avg penalties per game called against AU vs all their other SEC foes. Then do the same thing for all the SEC teams on our schedule. If teams are having significantly fewer penalties called against them when they play MSU it would mean either we suck on aggressiveness and strategy (could be the case) or the SEC is cheating us. That wouldn't be that difficult to do really?

Schultzy
11-08-2013, 07:25 AM
You may be right. I can't remember any obvious missed PI calls or offsides that were missed. Actually the only penalty that stands out to me went in our favor. That being the uk onside kick

Lsu wr #3 pushed off big time on Nickoe on a fourth down play shoulda been offensive pass interference. Auburn held Chris Jones et al every play on their final drive.