PDA

View Full Version : Fall MSU Baseball

basedog
10-22-2020, 03:03 PM
Looking at the fall pitching stats, most look really promising. Gotta say there may be a few surprises in the spring. I will say one freshman pitcher has had a great fall. 1.64 era for 11 innings, he has had 5 pitching outings, I also see some other really good stats, I?m a little concerned about a couple veterans. But it?s only practice.

MSU is a baseball school, always has and always will.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2020, 03:08 PM
Hearing we have the deepest pitching staff in America. Vandy has the best "top end" of a pitching staff but we've currently got 7 pitchers throwing harder than 95 mph with most of those touching 97 mph.

With a 4 game SEC series weekends likely, that kind of depth will play well.

Also hearing the lineup is meh. Gonna need Tanner Allen and the other experienced guys to have great years and for the rest to manufacture runs.

ShotgunDawg
10-22-2020, 03:09 PM
Baseball is our best sport, but Mississippi State is a football school. At least we better be if we want to compete in this day and age

MaroonFlounder
10-22-2020, 03:13 PM
Looking at the fall pitching stats, most look really promising. Gotta say there may be a few surprises in the spring. I will say one freshman pitcher has had a great fall. 1.64 era for 11 innings, he has had 5 pitching outings, I also see some other really good stats, I?m a little concerned about a couple veterans. But it?s only practice.

Which FR pitcher?

basedog
10-22-2020, 03:34 PM
Which FR pitcher?

Cade Smith, I don't think the Coaches are surprised but I do know they have been impressed. 11 innings, 9 strikeouts with 5 walks which he is working on his change up He touched 95 the other day but that ain't what he does, he will throw consistent in 90-92 mph but he is showing 92-94 lately. His weight training is really helping him. Ok I said enough, time will tell, he is still growing and is young.

ZedFedder
10-22-2020, 04:24 PM
Cade Smith is going to be very, very good for us from Day 1.

Homedawg
10-22-2020, 05:05 PM
Hearing we have the deepest pitching staff in America. Vandy has the best "top end" of a pitching staff but we've currently got 7 pitchers throwing harder than 95 mph with most of those touching 97 mph.

With a 4 game SEC series weekends likely, that kind of depth will play well.

Also hearing the lineup is meh. Gonna need Tanner Allen and the other experienced guys to have great years and for the rest to manufacture runs.

Logan Tanner has turned it up a notch. As has k James. We aren't going to be a great offensive team. But it won't be brutal either.

Homedawg
10-22-2020, 05:06 PM
Cade Smith, I don't think the Coaches are surprised but I do know they have been impressed. 11 innings, 9 strikeouts with 5 walks which he is working on his change up He touched 95 the other day but that ain't what he does, he will throw consistent in 90-92 mph but he is showing 92-94 lately. His weight training is really helping him. Ok I said enough, time will tell, he is still growing and is young.

I know you're proud. He's gonna be a good one.

MsStateBaseball
10-22-2020, 05:16 PM
We won?t have the HR power as last year. Look for Kyte McDonald to have a good year. He?ll most likely platoon in LF. I liked him a lot last fall. He doesn?t SO much. Contact hitter and can steal bases. Let?s hope Cumbest has improved in his hitting. He didn?t do too shabby in Biloxi.

We will start out each game wanting to do damage but some games we will have to manufacture runs. Our starting lineup is pretty good at contact. Do not put anything past Geautrau to improve the younger hitters.

Captain Falcon
10-22-2020, 05:21 PM
If we can hit well enough to get to Omaha, we have the pitching to win it all in that stadium.

AlSwearengen
10-22-2020, 05:40 PM
Lemonis did an interview a couple of days ago and he mentioned Cade first when he was asked about newcomers at P. He mentioned Tepper and Fristoe also but it was apparent that Cade Smith has been the most effective of the freshmen. He mentioned a juco kid multiple times but I can?t remember his name. You could tell Lemonis likes him. He also mentioned that the kid that shut down TT on the coast last season has been very good.

ETA: Another thing that stood out to me was that Lemonis mentioned Brayland Skinner. I expect him to get first look in CF, especially noting that a poster earlier in this thread expects Kyte McDonald to platoon in LF.

Homedawg
10-22-2020, 05:43 PM
Lemonis did an interview a couple of days ago and he mentioned Cade first when he was asked about newcomers at P. He mentioned Tepper and Fristoe also but it was apparent that Cade Smith has been the most effective of the freshmen. He mentioned a juco kid multiple times but I can’t remember his name. You could tell Lemonis likes him. He also mentioned that the kid that shut down TT on the coast last season has been very good.

Tullar is the juco P that's talked about the most. But several other jucos have looked good.

AlSwearengen
10-22-2020, 05:45 PM
Tullar is the juco P that's talked about the most. But several other jucos have looked good.

Tullar is correct.

ZedFedder
10-22-2020, 06:08 PM
Parker Stinnett is a JUCO (from Oxford HS ironically) who has been good.

The Federalist Engineer
10-22-2020, 10:35 PM
Lemonis did an interview a couple of days ago and he mentioned Cade first when he was asked about newcomers at P. He mentioned Tepper and Fristoe also but it was apparent that Cade Smith has been the most effective of the freshmen. He mentioned a juco kid multiple times but I can?t remember his name. You could tell Lemonis likes him. He also mentioned that the kid that shut down TT on the coast last season has been very good.

ETA: Another thing that stood out to me was that Lemonis mentioned Brayland Skinner. I expect him to get first look in CF, especially noting that a poster earlier in this thread expects Kyte McDonald to platoon in LF.

I think that we have 2 positions not settled....But for good reasons, competition and high-end upside kids.

Cumbest, Skinner, McDonald, and Pimentel can win an OF position.

Landon Jordan and Clark can be the 3rd Baseman plus an array of Freshman that could step-up and snag the roll - pull a Foscue (not a glamour recruit, but an Collegiate All American and #1 Pick)

HoopsDawg
10-22-2020, 10:52 PM
World Series starts tomorrow. 45 innings. Cumbest is missing out on so many reps.

Lemo said Skinner is a sub 6.5 guy. That's Robson speed.

Hopefully our pitching staff will raise the game of our hitters. They won't face any meat.

The Federalist Engineer
10-23-2020, 12:57 AM

On the meh veterans pitchers - I have this possibly maroon colored lens perspective:

The locked-in vets are working on their other pitches in practice. We know what they can do so we don?t stress the arms and we let them workout and throw the pitches they are less strong with.

Another player mentioned by media and our catcher is KC Hunt. People think he is rounding the corner on becoming very special.

boonedawg
10-23-2020, 07:51 AM
Any chance of a broadcast? I noticed than Arkansas’ World Series is being broadcast on SEC+.

HoopsDawg
10-23-2020, 08:15 AM
Any chance of a broadcast? I noticed than Arkansas’ World Series is being broadcast on SEC+.

Jim Ellis is doing radio. No stream which is pretty bad by the administration.

Homedawg
10-23-2020, 08:16 AM
On the meh veterans pitchers - I have this possibly maroon colored lens perspective:

The locked-in vets are working on their other pitches in practice. We know what they can do so we don?t stress the arms and we let them workout and throw the pitches they are less strong with.

Another player mentioned by media and our catcher is KC Hunt. People think he is rounding the corner on becoming very special.

He and Lovett

AlSwearengen
10-23-2020, 09:18 AM
He and Lovett

Yeah, I saw some summer footage of Lovett and he was looking nasty. What I saw looked like an overpowering fastball and a wicked slider. I don’t know the competition he was facing but the kid I saw him pitch against may be rethinking his future.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-23-2020, 02:53 PM
The AD could have really marketed this, sold advertising and maybe even done some PPV and made a few bucks, or at least build up some goodwill with the fan base... but Cohen continues to play checkers when everyone else is playing Chess.

msbulldog
10-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Good for Cade and his proud Dad, we're all pulling for him.

The Federalist Engineer
10-23-2020, 04:25 PM

I’m a Cade fan, I’m on board, let’s Go!

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2020, 04:26 PM

This sure looks like a stream to me

https://twitter.com/hailstatebb/status/1319745959450931200?s=21

HoopsDawg
10-23-2020, 04:28 PM
This sure looks like a stream to me

https://twitter.com/hailstatebb/status/1319745959450931200?s=21

Video stream chief. Can't cost much to do SECN+ like Arkansas is doing.

There are 2A middle schools in MS doing video streams these days.

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2020, 04:40 PM

I've gotten so used to only listening to the audio stream during baseball season because ESPN/SECN video streams have been so crappy most of the time, it doesn't even enter my mind to try to anymore.

basedog
10-23-2020, 04:43 PM

My Grandson, LOL but his Dad is proud! LOL

MaroonFlounder
10-23-2020, 04:48 PM

Yep. WatchESPN has Arkansas Fall World Series and a Gardner-Webb scrimmage available VIDEO.

Why can't Cohen get us on the tube?

Leeshouldveflanked
10-23-2020, 04:49 PM
I listened to half an inning.... it was just painful listening to Jim..

ZedFedder
10-23-2020, 06:01 PM
I listened to half an inning.... it was just painful listening to Jim..

Do NOT slander Jim!!! Lol.

Todd4State
10-23-2020, 11:26 PM
I think we get to Omaha again this year because of our staff. My biggest concern like others have said is the offense. If we end up having to face a team with really good pitching we're going to have to manufacture a little more to win. We're not going to be putrid but we don't have a Rooker that can change the game or a Mangum for that matter either.

We do however, have some good veteran players and that's always a good thing. Most of our power guys are young like Logan Tanner, Kamren James, and Kellum Clark.

Its hard to know how roles will be defined with the pitching staff because we don't know what the schedule will look like. Sounds like they're going to go to a four game SEC weekend schedule though where everyone plays everyone per rumor. Rumor is we'll play Ole Miss in two series- one in Oxford and one in Starkville. I don't know if they'll have the Governor's Cup where they move a home game for each to Pearl or what the plan there is.

Some of the young guys like Hunt have been a little wild so I'm not sure how much he will really contribute next year. Assuming a four game schedule I think we go:

Fri- Cerentola
Sat- MacLeoud- could be reversed with Cerentola.
Sun- Bednar
Fourth game- Cameron Tullar or Cade Smith.

Relief Ace- Landon Sims
Set-up- Parker Stinnett or Brandon Smith if he is healthy.
Closer- Spencer Price
We'll see Jack Eagan a lot too.

C- Logan Tanner and Luke Hancock are probably both going to be in the lineup at catcher and DH.
1B- Hatcher
2B- Scotty Dubrule- transfer from Jacksonville. If he struggles we'll probably go with Tanner Leggett.
3B- Kellum Clark
SS- Kamren James
LF- Cumbest/Pimentel platoon. Could see Rowdey here if Brayland Skinner wins the CF spot.
CF- Rowdey/Skinner. I'm curious to see if Skinner can hit SEC pitching. At worst he's a pinch runner.
RF- Tanner Allen
DH- Tanner/Hancock whoever isn't catching.

msbulldog
10-24-2020, 04:55 AM
My Grandson, LOL but his Dad is proud! LOL

OK my bad. proud Grand Dad then. In all these years I've never known any Kin folks of our players, just tickled for you. Great times.

basedog
10-24-2020, 08:16 AM
OK my bad. proud Grand Dad then. In all these years I've never known any Kin folks of our players, just tickled for you. Great times.

Thanks msbulldog, let me add, Cade got "lit up" yesterday in practice. My daughter said he was pissed, he faced the "meat of (what will be our) order". Like she told "He will figure things out". No doubt in my mind, I've told him their will be days in will struggle.

I will lay off a lot when the season starts, we as fans can get brutal on message boards. I actually think I will be able to handle things, being an ex coach you kinda understand and not let fans "rattle you". LOL.

Homedawg
10-24-2020, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure how they came up w the rosters for the series. But cheese must have something on goat Bc his team is way better. At least on paper it is.

The Federalist Engineer
10-24-2020, 11:31 PM
When it comes to the Great offensive years at MSU, they generally happen out of nowhere for us:

Rooker was a redshirt, he became a producer as a Junior but he hit more HR as a Senior than all previous seasons combined and hit 100 points higher than his career average

Renfroe went from 8th in the order, K machine, Mendoza average to #1 pick and monster stats in a Dead Bat season

Cody Brown went from Lefty Pinch hitter to heart of the lineup as a Senior. Hitting critical bombs in Regionals.

I fully expect someone like Hatcher, Rowdey, or Tanner Allen to progress to All American status. If we are lucky, two guys do it. Plus Kamren James. Geatreau has indicated a huge leap. Landon Jordan was a summer league MVP. Basically we have more position players for a Rooker/Renfroe leap than anytime I can recall. Just lots of volume of prospects.

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 12:15 AM
When it comes to the Great offensive years at MSU, they generally happen out of nowhere for us:

Rooker was a redshirt, he became a producer as a Junior but he hit more HR as a Senior than all previous seasons combined and hit 100 points higher than his career average

Renfroe went from 8th in the order, K machine, Mendoza average to #1 pick and monster stats in a Dead Bat season

Cody Brown went from Lefty Pinch hitter to heart of the lineup as a Senior. Hitting critical bombs in Regionals.

I fully expect someone like Hatcher, Rowdey, or Tanner Allen to progress to All American status. If we are lucky, two guys do it. Plus Kamren James. Geatreau has indicated a huge leap. Landon Jordan was a summer league MVP. Basically we have more position players for a Rooker/Renfroe leap than anytime I can recall. Just lots of volume of prospects.

The difference for me is Rooker and Renfroe had big time projection. The only upperclassman who has that kind of talent honestly is Brad Cumbest. And he is missing a lot of reps. I don't know what to think of Landon Jordan. He has hit everywhere he has played except in the SEC. And he doesn't have a position and I can't see him DHing a lot with Hancock and Tanner on the team.

I think we'll be like our team in the 1999-2000 seasons. A lot of veteran hitters who will have good years but no real superstar MLB prospect like a Will Clark or a Rooker. Or even a Mangum.

AlSwearengen
10-25-2020, 11:37 AM
If you can keep Rowdey and TA from having their typical mega slumps, they both could easily hit .350 or better. From the sounds of it, you can expect Kamren James to be a .300 hitter, Hatcher should hit .310 or better, and Hancock sounds like a .310 or better hitter. Power is going to be the issue, I think. Hatcher will hit a few and they seem to think James can hit a few, and Logan Tanner has a lot of pop, we just have to see how good of a hitter he can be. The wild card is Pimentel. We need the switch to flip on with him.

Homedawg
10-25-2020, 03:20 PM
Bad outing by cerrantola today. Just command issues won't go away.

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 04:17 PM
If you can keep Rowdey and TA from having their typical mega slumps, they both could easily hit .350 or better. From the sounds of it, you can expect Kamren James to be a .300 hitter, Hatcher should hit .310 or better, and Hancock sounds like a .310 or better hitter. Power is going to be the issue, I think. Hatcher will hit a few and they seem to think James can hit a few, and Logan Tanner has a lot of pop, we just have to see how good of a hitter he can be. The wild card is Pimentel. We need the switch to flip on with him.

I think Tanner can hit well over 5. 10 may be a little bit of a stretch but I could see him hitting 8. Pimentel, Cumbest, and Skinner are wild cards. Based on practice I think you would have to go with Skinner honestly but I think all three will play throughout the year.

HoopsDawg
10-25-2020, 04:48 PM
Bad outing by cerrantola today. Just command issues won't go away.

man, that's too bad.

The Federalist Engineer
10-25-2020, 09:19 PM
Not worried about Cerantola. We just gotta find his role. It could be that we are testing the vets in a different way. MacLeod, Koestler, and Harding all got roughed up in their starts.

Davis Rokose had a ball game. That’s another lefty, high end recruit. Man, remember when the only lefty we had was Tyrsten Barlow? The kid had his good moments but generally he threw a wild pitch and then walked the dang Lefty he was suppose to retire. Now we have some serious lefty options.

Homedawg
10-25-2020, 09:32 PM
Not worried about Cerantola. We just gotta find his role. It could be that we are testing the vets in a different way. MacLeod, Koestler, and Harding all got roughed up in their starts.

Davis Rokose has a ball game. That’s another lefty, high end recruit. Man, remember when the only lefty we had was Tyrsten Barlow? The kid had his good moments but generally he threw a wild pitch and then walked the dang Lefty he was suppose to retire. Now we have some serious lefty options.

It's not that I'm "worried" we have plenty of arms. But he is isn't a lockdown sure thing to be a starter all year Bc he's never proven it. Command is an issue. Always has been. As for working on stuff maybe so. But he walked 5 and didn't get out of the third. So no matter how you shake it, it was a poor performance. Yea Carlisle did too. I get it.

MsStateBaseball
10-25-2020, 09:51 PM
Bc of the depth of the staff, we have plenty of long relievers, Cerantola can give us 4 quality innings, we are still in great shape. My math has us with 20 pitchers, to pitch 4 games each weekend. Put Cerantola at long relief, don?t matter to me, just pitch 4-6 innings per weekend.

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 09:56 PM
Bc of the depth of the staff, we have plenty of long relievers, Cerantola can give us 4 quality innings, we are still in great shape. My math has us with 20 pitchers, to pitch 4 games each weekend. Put Cerantola at long relief, don?t matter to me, just pitch 4-6 innings per weekend.

I'm not worried about Cerentola either. Not yet anyway. Fall practice doesn't really mean a lot to me. Like you said- we have enough that we can find someone that can do the job adequately.

Homedawg
10-25-2020, 10:08 PM

Agree. Problem is , he hasn't proven he can give us 4 innings. I'm not giving up on the guy but I'm not pushing my chips to the center of the table on him either. At least not here. He has big league stuff. He's young to the game and very well might pitch in the show. But 75 pitches in less than 3 innings is problematic.

Homedawg
10-25-2020, 10:09 PM
I'm not worried about Cerentola either. Not yet anyway. Fall practice doesn't really mean a lot to me. Like you said- we have enough that we can find someone that can do the job adequately.

The last part is true. We have plenty of options should he fail. I'd just rather he succeed Bc his stuff is electric.

Homedawg
10-25-2020, 10:16 PM
Seeing what they do w the roster will be interesting. I'm counting a 39 man roster. We have 27 that are on scholarship that have to be on it as long as they stay for spring. Then 4 seniors. So the other 8 and how they breakdown pitchers vs position players will be interesting to say the least. Course all 4 sr are pitchers so that's like 4 extra on the staff there from a normal one. .

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 11:08 PM
Seeing what they do w the roster will be interesting. I'm counting a 39 man roster. We have 27 that are on scholarship that have to be on it as long as they stay for spring. Then 4 seniors. So the other 8 and how they breakdown pitchers vs position players will be interesting to say the least. Course all 4 sr are pitchers so that's like 4 extra on the staff there from a normal one. .

I'm not sure that they are too worried about it for this year. I'm assuming that if they play an all SEC schedule they won't have the normal roster limits that they usually do- but that's just a guess. One way or the other this is going to take a few years to get sorted out. I'm not even sure what the MLB draft will be like either next year. And then they're going to totally re-organize the minor leagues as well. At some point in the next year or two there is going to be a glut of American players available for the draft. Some good players are going to be left out and not get a chance or go play independent ball. Everyone will probably get a high school player or two that they typically wouldn't get because there are going to be some high school players that get pushed back in the draft.

One positive thing that may come from it is P5 schools will be able to see what it's like financially to pay for a baseball team scholarship wise. I still think that is coming at some point in the next ten years whenever the SEC decides to stop giving into the Big 10/NCAA BS.

Cowbell
10-25-2020, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure that they are too worried about it for this year. I'm assuming that if they play an all SEC schedule they won't have the normal roster limits that they usually do- but that's just a guess. One way or the other this is going to take a few years to get sorted out. I'm not even sure what the MLB draft will be like either next year. And then they're going to totally re-organize the minor leagues as well. At some point in the next year or two there is going to be a glut of American players available for the draft. Some good players are going to be left out and not get a chance or go play independent ball. Everyone will probably get a high school player or two that they typically wouldn't get because there are going to be some high school players that get pushed back in the draft.

One positive thing that may come from it is P5 schools will be able to see what it's like financially to pay for a baseball team scholarship wise. I still think that is coming at some point in the next ten years whenever the SEC decides to stop giving into the Big 10/NCAA BS.

Yes I don't understand why there hasn't been a discrimination lawsuit filed to raise scholarship limits for baseball. It's coming.

The Federalist Engineer
10-25-2020, 11:28 PM
Agree. Problem is , he hasn't proven he can give us 4 innings. I'm not giving up on the guy but I'm not pushing my chips to the center of the table on him either. At least not here. He has big league stuff. He's young to the game and very well might pitch in the show. But 75 pitches in less than 3 innings is problematic.

To explain my “not worried”

(1) if he were our Friday Ace and everybody else a last day flip recruit from USM, then we worry
(2) if he was an All American from previous seasons, then you worry

But we actually have several high end players that can be 1, 2, and 3. If Cerantola is a better setup man with clean innings in the 7th and 8th, then that’s a big important role. That’s cool. Especially if we can avoid a head case umpire.

He can still continue to develop as he will. The 3 and 4 role is probably gonna have several players making a claim. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pulls a Zac Houston and Click-On after the season starts.

Note- in the Hancock interview he said, “not his best today” means he had been better until today. I love catcher interviews.

Not worried

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 11:33 PM
It's also not like MacLeoud had his best day either.

Todd4State
10-25-2020, 11:35 PM
Yes I don't understand why there hasn't been a discrimination lawsuit filed to raise scholarship limits for baseball. It's coming.

The problem is the small northern schools and the Big 10.

Cowbell
10-25-2020, 11:40 PM

A lawsuit involving larger schools would nullify their opinions.

The Federalist Engineer
10-25-2020, 11:48 PM

Not arguing with you but Big 10 Michigan uses their limitless endowment and gives every player a scholarship. Just flagging the contradiction.

They even brag about using an Inner City MLB program to ID developmental talent they be patient with for 2 years.

It’s not an accident they played in the NC two years ago.

Todd4State
10-26-2020, 12:30 AM
A lawsuit involving larger schools would nullify their opinions.

I think what will eventually happen is the southern schools- SEC, ACC, Big 12, and some of the smaller conferences that can compete in baseball like the AAC, C-USA, and Sun Belt will break away. Basically what happened with COVID football. Whether the Big 10 and PAC 12 will join or not later? I don't know.

Not arguing with you but Big 10 Michigan uses their limitless endowment and gives every player a scholarship. Just flagging the contradiction.

They even brag about using an Inner City MLB program to ID developmental talent they be patient with for 2 years.

It’s not an accident they played in the NC two years ago.

You are correct. They do not want a Mississippi State or Arkansas to have 20 baseball scholarships.

Homedawg
10-26-2020, 07:52 AM
It's also not like MacLeoud had his best day either.

Didn't say he did. Everyone has bad days. But Macleod hasn't had 3 years of command issues either.

basedog
10-26-2020, 08:36 AM
Pretty much "most or some" of the pitchers had an "off pitching weekend". It's always a concern for any pitcher who doesn't throw strikes consistently. Especially a Friday and even a Saturday starter. I do know some are working on "another pitch", and it is practice and pitchers as well as hitters do have "off days". It's the ones who don't consistently get down or in a rut you want and who you can depend on in games.

Saltydog
10-26-2020, 11:58 AM
Can someone give me an update on Brandon Smith and how's he progressing? Just wondered where he was in the recovery process......

MsStateBaseball
10-26-2020, 07:35 PM
Brandon threw 1 inning the other day. He?s long tossing. I don?t know his MPH. By February, he could pitch but limited. Should be full go as season progresses.

Coach34
10-26-2020, 08:17 PM
Congrats Basedog. I know you are a proud man. Love it for you. Cant wait for baseball season.

Homedawg
10-26-2020, 08:30 PM
Brandon threw 1 inning the other day. He?s long tossing. I don?t know his MPH. By February, he could pitch but limited. Should be full go as season progresses.

He was 88-89. Which is great this early in rehab.