PDA

View Full Version : Coach34 or I guess others...

HoopsDawg
10-18-2020, 09:15 PM
try to put yourself in the unique mind of Mike Leach. What the hell is he thinking right now? 3 games in a row we have been Croomish against the EXACT SAME DEFENSE. We have been blitzed only 6 times combined in the last 3 games. No one is playing man to man against us the rest of the year.

Against A&M according to Alex Kirshner:

"-Mississippi State got blitzed just twice all day,

-Yet still gave up the highest rate of pressures/hits/sacks/hurries of any team in FBS this week except for the service academies.

Almost impossible to do"

Does he think our OT's are just going to magically figure it out? Does he think the DE's at Bama, UGA, AU etc are going to be worse? Is he just going to keep doing the same thing he's done the past 3 weeks or is he smart enough, humble enough to admit his system is not working and making some signifcant changes during the bye week.

How hard would it be to tighten up our splits? Bring in a TE to help our RT? Keep the backs in longer to help protect? Add in a couple of power run plays to counter what the defenses are doing? I mean we know exactly what everyone is going to do on Defense. That has to be an advantage to a smart, offensive minded coach.

What do you think?

ShotgunDawg
10-18-2020, 10:53 PM
fast forward to the 4 min mark if you want Leach's opinion on it.

My opinion is that he would've been out of coaching 20 years ago if it were this easy to stop. Something must be wrong from an execution standpoint. While he may not have faced as many great defensive players over years, he faced plenty of great defensive players over the years and this didn't happen.

So, while I don't have the Xs and Os knowledge to say what's wrong and how to fix it, common sense tells me that there is a real execution issue, that's fixable, that is preventing this from working. Not sure what it is, but I can't imagine this guy would've had the success he's had over the years if his offense fell to this level of crap when a boarderline NFL player was on defense.

I'm kind of curious if the center is screwing up the protection calls. We are really bad at center right now and I think that's leading to enormous issues. However, I don't have enough Xs and Os knowledge to know if that's really the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6N_vOLfzSI

defiantdog
10-18-2020, 11:08 PM
The center (no matter who it is) keeps missing the guy in front of him. I don't think our interior guys know how to block one on one. They're confused on who to pick up.

HoopsDawg
10-18-2020, 11:11 PM
There aren't many calls for the center to make. Arkansas and UK were very vanilla with their 3 man front. A&M did a couple of different things, but again it's a very basic 3 man front for the most part. So you are reaching looking for an excuse. I don't blame you.

And Shotgun, I fear that Leach is thinking exactly like you, "It's just an execution issue, nothing else." Croom said the same and Moorhead said the same. There's nothing wrong with the scheme, we just have to execute better. That's coach speak for "my system is great, I'm not changing a thing".

Todd4State
10-18-2020, 11:15 PM
fast forward to the 4 min mark if you want Leach's opinion on it.

My opinion is that he would've been out of coaching 20 years ago if it were this easy to stop. Something must be wrong from an execution standpoint. While he may not have faced as many great defensive players over years, he faced plenty of great defensive players over the years and this didn't happen.

So, while I don't have the Xs and Os knowledge to say what's wrong and how to fix it, common sense tells me that there is a real execution issue, that's fixable, that is preventing this from working. Not sure what it is, but I can't imagine this guy would've had the success he's had over the years if his offense fell to this level of crap when a boarderline NFL player was on defense.

I'm kind of curious if the center is screwing up the protection calls. We are really bad at center right now and I think that's leading to enormous issues. However, I don't have enough Xs and Os knowledge to know if that's really the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6N_vOLfzSI

Sounds like our offensive line can't handle the lights being on.

HoopsDawg
10-18-2020, 11:17 PM
Let me say this, just so everyone is clear, the reason for the wide splits is to give the QB more time to pass b/c the rusher has more distance to travel. This is supposed to be a get rid of it quick offense.

We keep talking about the athletic D-linemen in the SEC and that is true. But the LB's and DB's are much more athletic too. When they are dropping 8 and covering the entire field against our 5, we simply can't get rid of it quickly b/c no one has time to get open except for the checkdowns. It's a losing propostion for the offensive tackles. They aren't near as bad as posters are making them out to be. Sure you can always execute better and sometimes it will work, but this is 90% a scheme problem.

HancockCountyDog
10-18-2020, 11:22 PM

He simply is not used to this level of athlete on defense. If he had to go up against SEC level defenses, week in and week out, he would not have been as successful. The only team in the Pac 10 that had near SEC athletes on defense was Washington and we have beaten that horse into the ground.

I'm telling you, go back and watch the Wazzu/Oregon game Minshew's year, watch how many open field tackles Oregon missed. They also didn't have the athletes to stay in the 3-8, so they blitzed occasionally and Leach killed them.

Bottom line is that Leach has never proven that he can beat the 3-8 with top level athletes in the back 8 and front 3, in fact its been the exact opposite. Anyone that watched him struggle with Washington for the last 5 years, would have watched the last 3 games and thought "Yeah, I've seen this movie before".

I wish he would add some wrinkles, but that simply is not going to happen anytime soon. It is going to get worse before it gets better.

HancockCountyDog
10-18-2020, 11:25 PM
We keep talking about the athletic D-linemen in the SEC and that is true. But the LB's and DB's are much more athletic too. When they are dropping 8 and covering the entire field against our 5, we simply can't get rid of it quickly b/c no one has time to get open except for the checkdowns. It's a losing propostion for the offensive tackles. They aren't near as bad as posters are making them out to be. Sure you can always execute better and sometimes it will work, but this is 90% a scheme problem.

If you give us a power running qb and a Mullen offense, this OL magically looks way better. These guys are built to run block. I think the OL could have been good this year in a spread power run option offense. We will never know for sure, but it sure seemed like it based off last season.

bluelightstar
10-18-2020, 11:26 PM
He simply is not used to this level of athlete on defense. If he had to go up against SEC level defenses, week in and week out, he would not have been as successful. The only team in the Pac 10 that had near SEC athletes on defense was Washington and we have beaten that horse into the ground.

I'm telling you, go back and watch the Wazzu/Oregon game Minshew's year, watch how many open field tackles Oregon missed. They also didn't have the athletes to stay in the 3-8, so they blitzed occasionally and Leach killed them.

Bottom line is that Leach has never proven that he can beat the 3-8 with top level athletes in the back 8 and front 3, in fact its been the exact opposite. Anyone that watched him struggle with Washington for the last 5 years, would have watched the last 3 games and thought "Yeah, I've seen this movie before".

I wish he would add some wrinkles, but that simply is not going to happen anytime soon. It is going to get worse before it gets better.

I saw a national cfb guy point out that our most recent games were basically like watching the last 7 Apple Cups. Everybody is saying he will figure it out but he never figured out how to crack that defense with SEC-type athletes in nearly a decade.

HoopsDawg
10-18-2020, 11:30 PM
There is one change that Leach and Mason Miller could make that would not fundamentally change what he is trying to do. We have to go to traditional splits on the offensive line. We simply have too. Art Briles did it. Dana Holgerson did it. And Lincoln Riley did it. All 3 guys are disciples directly or indirectly from Leach's air raid, and all 3 guys have had a lot of success running the ball after evolving to traditional splits.

My original question for this thread is what is Leach thinking. Is he too vain/hardheaded to change? Or can he accept that it's not just "execution", there is a fundamental problem with his beloved system. It's the same system that has bought him a place at Key West and earns him 5 milly a year. Joe Lee Dunn had a great system at one time too. So I know it must be difficult to accept reality. But reality hit us right in the face with 0 points against UK. Arkansas could have been chalked up as a fluke. Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me 3 times??

msstate7
10-18-2020, 11:33 PM
There is one change that Leach and Mason Miller could make that would not fundamentally change what he is trying to do. We have to go to traditional splits on the offensive line. We simply have too. Art Briles did it. Dana Holgerson did it. And Lincoln Riley did it. All 3 guys are disciples directly or indirectly from Leach's air raid, and all 3 guys have had a lot of success running the ball after evolving to traditional splits.

My original question for this thread is what is Leach thinking. Is he too vain/hardheaded to change? Or can he accept that it's not just "execution", there is a fundamental problem with his beloved system. It's the same system that has bought him a place at Key West and earns him 5 milly a year. Joe Lee Dunn had a great system at one time too. So I know it must be difficult to accept reality. But reality hit us right in the face with 0 points against UK.

And if there's ever a year to experiment some, it's this one

bluelightstar
10-18-2020, 11:38 PM

My original question for this thread is what is Leach thinking. Is he too vain/hardheaded to change? Or can he accept that it's not just "execution", there is a fundamental problem with his beloved system. It's the same system that has bought him a place at Key West and earns him 5 milly a year. Joe Lee Dunn had a great system at one time too. So I know it must be difficult to accept reality. But reality hit us right in the face with 0 points against UK.

Considering his past quotes [see: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-the-sec-ready-for-the-air-raid-mike-leach-sure-thinks-so/], Leach seems to be looking for vindication. He wants to show that his pure Air Raid system works in the SEC.

“Everybody says you can’t do this in this league or that in that league. But how!? Everybody starts with, ‘Well you can’t do this in the NFL or SEC because our corners are all Deion Sanders.’ Well, no, they’re not.”

“Your level isn’t special, your conference isn’t special. … How’s it better? Somebody coaches better athletes, somehow they morph into something smarter? That’s crazy. I mean, you still have problems, you still have 11 parts you can wiggle around to counter the other 11 parts.”

If Leach decides that it's more important to prove one way or another that the unadulterated Air Raid works in the SEC throwing the ball 80%+ of the time, I think this will go poorly. But I have to assume a smart guy like Leach will admit that he was wrong about the SEC being no different and tweak the offense. Otherwise, he will join the list of coaches whose schemes always worked right up until they didn't (see, e.g., Joe Lee Dunn).

HoopsDawg
10-18-2020, 11:43 PM
Considering his past quotes [see: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-the-sec-ready-for-the-air-raid-mike-leach-sure-thinks-so/], Leach seems to be looking for vindication. He wants to show that his pure Air Raid system works in the SEC.

If Leach decides that it's more important to prove one way or another that the unadulterated Air Raid works in the SEC throwing the ball 80%+ of the time, I think this will go poorly. But I have to assume a smart guy like Leach will admit that he was wrong about the SEC being no different and tweak the offense. Otherwise, he will join the list of coaches whose schemes always worked right up until they didn't (see, e.g., Joe Lee Dunn).

Scary stuff. What will win out, pride or sanity? Is he too deep after 20 years of his system to change? We will see. By the way, the great ones always evolve. Look no further than Nick Saban. He has completely revamped his offensive philosophy over the years. Don't be Blockbuster, be Amazon.

Todd4State
10-18-2020, 11:45 PM
Let me say this, just so everyone is clear, the reason for the wide splits is to give the QB more time to pass b/c the rusher has more distance to travel. This is supposed to be a get rid of it quick offense.

We have SEC players on our team too.

Todd4State
10-18-2020, 11:48 PM
Listening to Leach it sounds to me like they're making assumptions on who is going to block someone during the game. And then whoever is making the assumption is wrong.

HoopsDawg
10-18-2020, 11:56 PM
We have SEC players on our team too.

Sigh.

Maroonthirteen
10-19-2020, 05:52 AM

Exactly! ...and if you watch WSU during the great Minshew year and 2019, 90% of the passes were "check down" passes.

Maroonthirteen
10-19-2020, 05:57 AM
On the Rogers TD pass, we had two TEs in the game. Spivey was one TE. Hard to see from the TV film if that look confused the defense secondary any. However it was a good pass by Rogers in a tight window. .

I really like Spivey. He is big enough to help chip block but fit enough to get out in a route when needed. Spivey needs to be on the field.

Maybe a TE is a new look going forward.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2020, 07:18 AM
He simply is not used to this level of athlete on defense.

I really don’t think it’s this simple.

chef dixon
10-19-2020, 07:22 AM
You all are smoking rocks if you think murderer's row of defense Arkansas, Kentucky, and TAMU are the toughest stretch of defense Leach has ever had to face.

Our overall execution is horrible, which is what I expected before the season. LSU game just got everyone's hopes up. We haven't had a team that could complete a forward pass since Dak.

basedog
10-19-2020, 07:55 AM
Game planning by our opposites has been pretty simple. With no running game and mostly all short passes, the defense just stays zone and keep everything in front of you. We also are a very slow footed in the O Line and not very talented. It's just the simple and for those thinking and saying it has to be our guys our confused, well then just say they aren't very smart. A 3 man rush against a 5 man line with no run game is killing Msu and will continue. Let's hope, wish, pray JoMoSlyEmoryThe Memory will quit being hard headed and change his offense to win games instead of "well it worked in the past". Things change in sports as well as in our society.
No excuses, 10 inceptions and have we rushed for a 100 yards total yet?

bluelightstar
10-19-2020, 08:02 AM
Game planning by our opposites has been pretty simple. With no running game and mostly all short passes, the defense just stays zone and keep everything in front of you. We also are a very slow footed in the O Line and not very talented. It's just the simple and for those thinking and saying it has to be our guys our confused, well then just say they aren't very smart. A 3 man rush against a 5 man line with no run game is killing Msu and will continue. Let's hope, wish, pray JoMoSlyEmoryThe Memory will quit being hard headed and change his offense to win games instead of "well it worked in the past". Things change in sports as well as in our society.

We are averaging 28.5 yards a game rushing, so just barely.

Johnson85
10-19-2020, 08:07 AM
The center (no matter who it is) keeps missing the guy in front of him. I don't think our interior guys know how to block one on one. They're confused on who to pick up.

There were several plays that made me wonder if the OLine hates KJ, particularly the center. I can see it being hard to block while snapping, but a couple of times it's like he didn't even get his hands up before the DL was past him.

basedog
10-19-2020, 08:24 AM
There were several plays that made me wonder if the OLine hates KJ, particularly the center. I can see it being hard to block while snapping, but a couple of times it's like he didn't even get his hands up before the DL was past him.

I'd say no to hate, even if they did and still aren't doing there job then why isn't that guy pulled and play someone with effort.

basedog
10-19-2020, 08:28 AM
We are averaging 28.5 yards a game rushing, so just barely.

Got to be last in the country, and folks wonder what the problem could be? It ain't rocket science especially when you have a play book that is 3"x5" and you can hide in your hand. How difficult can game planning be for a DC? We making other Sec teams defenses like the 70's "Steel Curtain".

Btw, I ain't saying fire Leach, just saying he needs to change.

HancockCountyDog
10-19-2020, 08:31 AM
I really don?t think it?s this simple.

We can make it more complicated.

I really think you should go and watch a few Wazzu games on YouTube. It was eye opening to me. Their guys out of the backfield made LBs and DBs look silly.

Teams came out of the 3-8 a ton because they couldn?t tackle guys one on one and we?re getting trashed by the check down guys.

Maybe it?s a talent issue for us on offense, but I think we have some solid RBs.

I also think we haven?t recruited the right OL for this offense. That is causing us problems all over the offense. SEC teams can get pressure rushing 3. The DL are simply too good and our guys aren?t built to pass block 70 times a game.

Maybe it?s just an adjustment we have to go through, it?s just hard to watch. Hopefully Rogers will give the team a boost and the offense gets better.

maroonmania
10-19-2020, 08:59 AM

Yes, the defenses we are facing are working to keep things in front of them but if you watch the game, all 11 defenders, while in a zone, are still ALL lined up within 10-12 yards of the LOS. That is why I vehemently disagree with C34's assertion that we are facing prevent defenses. We are not, we are facing all out zone defenses that are not really giving up underneath stuff either. Its why on the check down passes there are 2 or 3 defenders there waiting to make the hit when we throw a bubble screen to a WR or a pass to the RB coming out of the backfield. Heck, its why we see 5 or 6 defenders right in the tackle box immediately once the defense sees its going to be a run. The tight zone we are playing against would allow you to possibly throw over the top of it but you can't do that when your QB is getting 3 seconds max to throw the ball. In fact, its gotten worse, as Arkansas did play more of a spread out deeper zone. But KY came in tighter than that and so did TA&M. Until we show we can protect, defenses aren't going to have to worry much about the deep patterns and can cram us on runs and short passes without worrying about getting burned.

Coach34
10-19-2020, 12:40 PM
We can make it more complicated.

I really think you should go and watch a few Wazzu games on YouTube. It was eye opening to me. Their guys out of the backfield made LBs and DBs look silly.

Teams came out of the 3-8 a ton because they couldn?t tackle guys one on one and we?re getting trashed by the check down guys.

This is what people dont seem to understand. Thats not going to happen in the SEC.

Hot Rock
10-19-2020, 04:36 PM
I saw a national cfb guy point out that our most recent games were basically like watching the last 7 Apple Cups. Everybody is saying he will figure it out but he never figured out how to crack that defense with SEC-type athletes in nearly a decade.
why people reference the Apple Cup is crazy to me. You cannot compare the level of athletes Washington Huskies had with what Leech had. They just weren't the same.

Huskies recruiting level was on par with most SEC teams. They had enough talent to compete in the national title conversation a couple of those years.

Wash St got non-rated players and two star guys. Hell, one year he only got 5 rated players to campus or something like that.

This thing may not work out but it won't because Wash had some secret formula. It's simple, if you can't block 3 & 4 with 5 O-ine, we lose.

Cooterpoot
10-19-2020, 04:47 PM
why people reference the Apple Cup is crazy to me. You cannot compare the level of athletes Washington Huskies had with what Leech had. They just weren't the same.

Huskies recruiting level was on par with most SEC teams. They had enough talent to compete in the national title conversation a couple of those years.

Wash St got non-rated players and two star guys. Hell, one year he only got 5 rated players to campus or something like that.

This thing may not work out but it won't because Wash had some secret formula. It's simple, if you can't block 3 & 4 with 5 O-ine, we lose.

You can't compare the level of athletes we've got to AL either.

DownwardDawg
10-19-2020, 06:18 PM
This is what people dont seem to understand. Thats not going to happen in the SEC.

I keep reading this, and I've heard people say this for years, but I keep watching SEC teams get their asses beat in bowl games and playoffs every year. I'm not buying it's that simple. I bet your ass Leach's teams have faced defenses much better than Kentucky, Arkansas, and aTm. Not better than Georgia, Bama, etc... but you get the point.

I ain't sayin his offense will work or not. I have no idea. But there's an awful lot of assumptions right now.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2020, 06:34 PM
I keep reading this, and I've heard people say this for years, but I keep watching SEC teams get their asses beat in bowl games and playoffs every year. I'm not buying it's that simple. I bet your ass Leach's teams have faced defenses much better than Kentucky, Arkansas, and aTm. Not better than Georgia, Bama, etc... but you get the point.

I ain't sayin his offense will work or not. I have no idea. But there's an awful lot of assumptions right now.

This

Coach34
10-19-2020, 06:47 PM

Huge difference in playing people in opening games with the offseason to get ready, or in bowl games with a month to get ready- than it is lining up and playing week after week against the SEC. Some guys could care less about the bowl game and party all week before the game.

R2Dawg
10-19-2020, 07:01 PM
There aren't many calls for the center to make. Arkansas and UK were very vanilla with their 3 man front. A&M did a couple of different things, but again it's a very basic 3 man front for the most part. So you are reaching looking for an excuse. I don't blame you.

And Shotgun, I fear that Leach is thinking exactly like you, "It's just an execution issue, nothing else." Croom said the same and Moorhead said the same. There's nothing wrong with the scheme, we just have to execute better. That's coach speak for "my system is great, I'm not changing a thing".

Leach has said the poor execution multiple times. I said other day this will go on for years until he realizes or starts to that it may not work here like it has everywhere else. I'm not sure he will ever admit it. He has 20 years he has convinced himself that this is the best O ever. Oh, we'll get better and win some games down the road but I'm not sure he will ever be what he was in the past here due to SEC speed.

msugolf
10-19-2020, 07:06 PM
Leach has said the poor execution multiple times. I said other day this will go on for years until he realizes or starts to that it may not work here like it has everywhere else. I'm not sure he will ever admit it. He has 20 years he has convinced himself that this is the best O ever. Oh, we'll get better and win some games down the road but I'm not sure he will ever be what he was in the past here due to SEC speed.

He'll never win more than 7 here and fans will eventually get tired and bored of us throwing 70 five yard passes a game

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-19-2020, 07:22 PM
Step back to 30k feet and look at this:

We hired a horrible coach in Joe. Inmates ran the asylum, discipline was non-existent, S&C was terrible, we all said he had put the program back "years"

We hire a new coach. We have to get a transfer QB that can pass it like he wants. We get no spring.

Flash forward 4 games: we're 1-3. the transfer QB couldn't' grasp the system. The OL sucks. Were it not for that we'd be 3-1 right now.

And y'all are ready to pull the plug. Do y'all not get how INSANE that is?? If Franks sucked and Arky was 1-3, would you think it's reasonable to for their fans to want Pittman gone? Is it reasonable for FSU fans to want Norvell gone?

You'd think any other fanbase in the country is CRAZY to want a new coach gone not even halfway in year 1 all because his transfer QB threw a ton of picks and the OL sucked. Have some perspective.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2020, 07:25 PM
Step back to 30k feet and look at this:

We hired a horrible coach in Joe. Inmates ran the asylum, discipline was non-existent, S&C was terrible, we all said he had put the program back "years"

We hire a new coach. We have to get a transfer QB that can pass it like he wants. We get no spring.

Flash forward 4 games: we're 1-3. the transfer QB couldn't' grasp the system. The OL sucks. Were it not for that we'd be 3-1 right now.

And y'all are ready to pull the plug. Do y'all not get how INSANE that is?? If Franks sucked and Arky was 1-3, would you think it's reasonable to for their fans to want Pittman gone? Is it reasonable for FSU fans to want Norvell gone?

You'd think any other fanbase in the country is CRAZY to want a new coach gone not even halfway in year 1 all because his transfer QB threw a ton of picks and the OL sucked. Have some perspective.

Yup. It’s insane.

Not saying they’re wrong, but it’s way early to jump to conclusions

Coach34
10-19-2020, 07:54 PM
Yup. It’s insane.

Hiring an offensive coach that cant score is a problem. Nobody walked around making excuses for Mullen in 2009- ya know why? We got better
Nobody walked around making excuses for Jackie his 1st year- why? We got better. Both coaches won

When you hire a HC and the side of the ball he coaches gets worse? That is always cause for alarm

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2020, 08:20 PM
Hiring an offensive coach that cant score is a problem. Nobody walked around making excuses for Mullen in 2009- ya know why? We got better
Nobody walked around making excuses for Jackie his 1st year- why? We got better. Both coaches won

When you hire a HC and the side of the ball he coaches gets worse? That is always cause for alarm

Pretty sure both those guys had Spring practice

Coach34
10-19-2020, 08:35 PM

Leach had 2 months of practice before we played a game- plus our guys were running Air Raid routes during the Summer. Even though the coaches couldnt be on the field- they had the playbook and had had meetings on what to do. Excusing this BS is ridiculous

Name me a couple of coaching changes that looked like shit in year 1 that got alot better?

basedog
10-19-2020, 08:36 PM

Pretty sure all the other teams had no spring practice. Hasn’t hurt the defense which everyone was concerned. Regardless it’s a major disappointment on the offensive side. Especially at Qb play.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2020, 09:13 PM
Pretty sure all the other teams had no spring practice. Hasn’t hurt the defense which everyone was concerned. Regardless it’s a major disappointment on the offensive side. Especially at Qb play.

No doubt it’s disappointing but making grand statements right now about the future is insane. Literally not rational

Lord McBuckethead
10-19-2020, 09:31 PM

Shit, all you have to do is atleast pick up one guy. So many times 1 or 2 of our OL just didn't pick up anyone.