PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from here going forward

Coach 57
11-07-2013, 04:58 PM
I have been somewhat dormant in this miriad of emotions this week. It has not been a good week for the emotions if this VERY young football team. But a very interesting thing COULD have occurred while the entire team was facing this looming week. I (as well as others) honestly believed that Mullen had lost this team. I felt like he hadn't how to coach, but perhaps his teachings were now falling on deaf ears. It's a terrible thing to see as a coach when your team just kind of goes through the motions. But in the wake of this uncertainty that has spanned all the way from last season....could something awesome happen? Something inspiring? Regardless of how you people feel about Christ, I feel if you in fact are a child of God's & have given your life to Him....He will give you another chance to redeem yourself of past transgressions. I don't know the truth behind this or that & don't claim to have "sources". But something happened last year....something! But now lies an opportunity for Mullen to prove he is our team's coach & leader for the undetermined future. Players who might think this way or that could in fact change their opinion of him & his leadership based on what happens in the next days. I know that Dak is well liked & loved by his teammates. Eyes WILL be on Mullen in this haze of negativity. What happens now will either change the course of the direction or it will plummet right before our watchful gaze. The Lord has provided another chance (as He does for us all), what you or in this case he does with it will tell the tale of our immediate future. I'm not saying victory or defeat, sometimes (take it from me) it's more than about wins Vs losses. The greatest comment you can EVER tell any coach at ANY level is, "your team sure does play hard!" Let's see if we are relentless for 4 qtrs Saturday afternoon.

CadaverDawg
11-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Good post Coach. I would love nothing more than to see these guys go out and leave it all on the field for 4 Quarters Saturday. Even if we lose big...if I see that from my Bulldogs, I can live with that.

Coach 57
11-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I believe we ALL feel as you said CD. We just want this team to give what Mullen's monicker is. RELENTLESS EFFORT.

Goat Holder
11-07-2013, 05:11 PM
I (as well as others) honestly believed that Mullen had lost this team. I felt like he hadn't how to coach, but perhaps his teachings were now falling on deaf ears. It's a terrible thing to see as a coach when your team just kind of goes through the motions.

I just don't get where people form this opinion. I've seen many people say he "lost the team", but I've seen nothing to resemble that. The team still plays hard. They are just doing some dumb things here and there, things young teams tend to do.

But something happened last year....something!

You're absolutely correct. What happened is that we played 3 top flight teams in a row, with 2 of them on the road. And we played 2 teams at the end of the year with all the motivation in the world.

Good Lord, you doomsayers kill me. The simple solution to the problem is to play better and smarter, not harder. All this other junk is just in your heads. I'm starting to get a kick out of reading it.

HancockCountyDog
11-07-2013, 05:17 PM
I have been somewhat dormant in this miriad of emotions this week. It has not been a good week for the emotions if this VERY young football team. But a very interesting thing COULD have occurred while the entire team was facing this looming week. I (as well as others) honestly believed that Mullen had lost this team. I felt like he hadn't how to coach, but perhaps his teachings were now falling on deaf ears. It's a terrible thing to see as a coach when your team just kind of goes through the motions. But in the wake of this uncertainty that has spanned all the way from last season....could something awesome happen? Something inspiring? Regardless of how you people feel about Christ, I feel if you in fact are a child of God's & have given your life to Him....He will give you another chance to redeem yourself of past transgressions. I don't know the truth behind this or that & don't claim to have "sources". But something happened last year....something! But now lies an opportunity for Mullen to prove he is our team's coach & leader for the undetermined future. Players who might think this way or that could in fact change their opinion of him & his leadership based on what happens in the next days. I know that Dak is well liked & loved by his teammates. Eyes WILL be on Mullen in this haze of negativity. What happens now will either change the course of the direction or it will plummet right before our watchful gaze. The Lord has provided another chance (as He does for us all), what you or in this case he does with it will tell the tale of our immediate future. I'm not saying victory or defeat, sometimes (take it from me) it's more than about wins Vs losses. The greatest comment you can EVER tell any coach at ANY level is, "your team sure does play hard!" Let's see if we are relentless for 4 qtrs Saturday afternoon.

Coach57, I always enjoy your posts, they are always so well thought out - but there is one thing that I have to disagree with - and that is the part where you say we are a young football team. We aren't a young team. We have a young secondary, but that is about it.

Most of our players have been redshirted. Look at the OL, Siddoway, Jackson are seniors, Day and Clausell are RS Juniors. They have a ton of starts between the four of them. Dak is a RS Sophomore, Russell is a 5th year senior. Perk is a Senior, ROJO is a 4th year JR, Tubby is a 4th year Jr, Malcolm Johnson is a Junior that has played for 3 seasons.

On defense the front seven has Autry, Eulls, PJ, Preston, Skinner, McKinney and Wells all of whom have at least an entire season of starting or experience.

CadaverDawg
11-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Coach57, I always enjoy your posts, they are always so well thought out - but there is one thing that I have to disagree with - and that is the part where you say we are a young football team. We aren't a young team. We have a young secondary, but that is about it.

Most of our players have been redshirted. Look at the OL, Siddoway, Jackson are seniors, Day and Clausell are RS Juniors. They have a ton of starts between the four of them. Dak is a RS Sophomore, Russell is a 5th year senior. Perk is a Senior, ROJO is a 4th year JR, Tubby is a 4th year Jr, Malcolm Johnson is a Junior that has played for 3 seasons.

On defense the front seven has Autry, Eulls, PJ, Preston, Skinner, McKinney and Wells all of whom have at least an entire season of starting or experience.

Yep, that was my disagreement as well. We are no younger than probably 6-8 other SEC teams.....and most are out-performing us.

EngineerDawg
11-07-2013, 05:29 PM
I just don't get where people form this opinion. I've seen many people say he "lost the team", but I've seen nothing to resemble that. The team still plays hard. They are just doing some dumb things here and there, things young teams tend to do.

You're absolutely correct. What happened is that we played 3 top flight teams in a row, with 2 of them on the road. And we played 2 teams at the end of the year with all the motivation in the world.

Good Lord, you doomsayers kill me. The simple solution to the problem is to play better and smarter, not harder. All this other junk is just in your heads. I'm starting to get a kick out of reading it.

I haven't been around here long... but you seem intent on making yourself superior to others with each post... just my $0.02.

CadaverDawg
11-07-2013, 05:32 PM
I haven't been around here long... but you seem intent on making yourself superior to others with each post... just my $0.02.

According to some.....

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/rose_gopez/Callan-BryceBipolar.gif

Sometimes I like ole Goat...sometimes he's a douche

engie
11-07-2013, 05:38 PM

What is funny is -- that's exactly what he flips out on me about...

Coach 57
11-07-2013, 05:43 PM
^^^lol^^^

In regards to the youth of our team spoken on by others. Let me delve into this a bit deeper. I MEANT to say from a leadership perspective (Dak). Look you can tell me what you want but Dak IS the leader of this team! He is young in REAL experience. To be ready for this truckload of leadership that has fallen onto his shoulders he needed snaps between the 20's not just goaline or shortyard situations. That's the experience I am talking about. I should've said so, my bad.

CadaverDawg
11-07-2013, 05:48 PM
^^^lol^^^

In regards to the youth of our team spoken on by others. Let me delve into this a bit deeper. I MEANT to say from a leadership perspective (Dak). Look you can tell me what you want but Dak IS the leader of this team! He is young in REAL experience. To be ready for this truckload of leadership that has fallen onto his shoulders he needed snaps between the 20's not just goaline or shortyard situations. That's the experience I am talking about. I should've said so, my bad.

Fair points. I can agree with that

Goat Holder
11-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Seems you could have picked a better post to attempt to make that point.

Hilarious, out of all the massive egos on this board, you pick me to call 'superior'. And you pick one of my nicer posts to do it.

gravedigger
11-07-2013, 06:00 PM
It just doesnt come from speculation, I can assure you. "Lost the team" certainly has different meanings, but at a minimum, some of the team no longer looks at Mullen or Hevesy as motivators.

I have been in management for a number of years. When things are going well it is because the manager and the managed are focused on a single vision. When that deteriorates, the managed come out each work day swinging, but generally lose their motivation and slack off before the job is done. THe managed no longer are motivated, for whatever reason, to reach for the managers vision.

I've been on both sides. I've been a manager that has lost his staff due to the eroding attitudes. Talking a good game doesnt do a thing. Even leading by example sometimes doesnt do the trick. What is missing is the 'IT' factor that successful leaders posses. WIthout IT, units, teams, staffs, etc just do not meet expectations. Some call it 'working for a paycheck'. There are many names for it, but it is real.

Of course, I agree with you on MANY more things than I dissagree with you on, so this isnt a personal gripe with your post. I've just talked to a number of people here in Starkville and on campus close to the team who have seen some clear evidence that Mullen isnt the motivator he once was and that has affected player performance.

He can get it back and what's more, he MUST if he intends on getting a bigger better job one day or succeeding here. Talent on signing day cannot cure all that ails this team.

This team has lost IT, if only for the time being. I do think Mullen can get that back if he and the team come back and start working on a common vision together. What we are all seeing now is a team that is only surviving on raw talent. Talent cannot win you games against equal or better talent. It takes that something else.

THe top 3 top flight teams we played last year were not responsible for the lack of effort that showed up in those games. We had plenty of motivation in the egg bowl and the bowl game and just seemed either too flat, or too tight to perform.

Saying that playing better and smarter as a solution is like saying 'score more points'. It is an end, not a means. What is not in our heads or the players is the evidence that the team has lacked a competitive fire at critical moments in the game.

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2013, 06:06 PM
We need something to bring this team together because right now, as individuals, they play OK, but they don't play as a team. I don't know if the team rallying around Dak this week will help, or if they need to get in a pre-game fight. Not sure what the answer is, but this team needs to come together for a common. Once that happens, we will be infinitely better.

Goat Holder
11-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Fair enough, and I agree with your about your points on management. I don't know 100% what the problem is, but to me, it's a much, much simpler issue. It's simply because our true talent is young and isn't stacking up that well, and we don't have much upper-class leadership. We fundamentally disagree on what the problem is, not how to deal with the problem.

I still think the Auburn game is the difference is where we are now and what we should be. That's it.

justwin
11-07-2013, 09:25 PM
I think that SOMETHING that you speak of is developing a 2nd Big back rushing threat out of the backfiled. Que, Ashton Shumpert or Nick Griffin.

2009 - with 5 games left, Relf became the 2nd big back rushing out of the backfield with Dixon. Still had Ducre and other as 3rd options.
2010 - Vick began to emerge midseason (especially vs UF) in concert with Relf to provide 2 big RB threats. Had Perk as change of pace.
2011 - Vick as one big back. Relf regressed and by midseason wasn't really effective passing or running. Still had Perk as a change of pace. Hence, 6 wins.
2012 - All world QB who shoulders the team for the first 7 games. No proven big running back to pound out tough yards. Should've given Griffin 70+ carries during those first 7 games to prepare for the last 5 games. Had we done that, we win 10 last year.
2013 - now we have one big RB threat w Dak and NO commitment to incorporating Griff or Shump.

Just watch how the positively the fanbase will respond if we give Shump 20 carries vs TXAM's porous defense.

justwin
11-07-2013, 09:26 PM

agree goat

HunterDawg
11-07-2013, 11:00 PM
We play in the SEC West. The much better division of the elite conference in the country. The one that wins the Nat Championship every year.

We are losing because these teams are very, very good. About 90% of the teams in America would lose to them. They recruit at a tremendous level and play top 10 quality ball.

Maybe it isn't that our coach has lost the team or our players are not playing smart enough or whatever. It could just be that we aren't on their level just yet. We might not beat them no matter who is in the backfield or what plays are called.

Truth is, you can be very good and play very well and lose to these teams. Why do we have to invent mysterious reasons for it? Why do we blame Dan and just assume that a Sunbelt coach would beat Alabama, LSU, etc? That is a pretty big assumption.

We probably won't beat A&M or Alabama. There aren't many teams that would.

cheewgumm
11-07-2013, 11:52 PM
I don't think this will happen, but if Mullen would just do what many of you( not me) have said he should do , we'd possibly beat a& m and ole miss.

Basically that is run the ball. We should basically run it 60 or 80% of the time. Many of you have said that, I know. Im also pretty positive we won't do it. But if Dan would we' d win.

That is what could happen to change things.

4Dawgs4Life
11-08-2013, 12:17 AM
According to some.....

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/rose_gopez/Callan-BryceBipolar.gif

Sometimes I like ole Goat...sometimes he's a douche

You like name calling don't you?

EngineerDawg
11-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Seems you could have picked a better post to attempt to make that point.

Hilarious, out of all the massive egos on this board, you pick me to call 'superior'. And you pick one of my nicer posts to do it.

It's just how you go about making your points that stands out. That's all I was saying. Crucify me as well for having an opinion. IDGAF.

Goat Holder
11-08-2013, 11:28 AM
I think that SOMETHING that you speak of is developing a 2nd Big back rushing threat out of the backfiled. Que, Ashton Shumpert or Nick Griffin.

I agree. We all talk about why the offense used to be so much better, and I think you're hitting right on it.

2009 - with 5 games left, Relf became the 2nd big back rushing out of the backfield with Dixon. Still had Ducre and other as 3rd options.

Agreed.

2010 - Vick began to emerge midseason (especially vs UF) in concert with Relf to provide 2 big RB threats. Had Perk as change of pace.

Yes. Perk was used PERFECTLY in 2010.

2011 - Vick as one big back. Relf regressed and by midseason wasn't really effective passing or running. Still had Perk as a change of pace. Hence, 6 wins.

One thing to remember though - Relf was beat up, thus his ability to run was compromised. This is why I'm looking forward to have 2 or 3 big dual-threat runners in the stable.

2012 - All world QB who shoulders the team for the first 7 games. No proven big running back to pound out tough yards. Should've given Griffin 70+ carries during those first 7 games to prepare for the last 5 games. Had we done that, we win 10 last year.

Agreed. One of the biggest bonehead moves of Mullen's era at MSU is trying to froce Perk to be a typical RB. That's not what he is. I'd rather see Perkins at WR than I would like to see him lined up running the ball at people in the backfield. Dude can catch and has always been effective in space.

2013 - now we have one big RB threat w Dak and NO commitment to incorporating Griff or Shump.

Agreed again. But I think at this point Josh Robinson is the one who should be getting the carries.

Churchill
11-08-2013, 11:39 AM
At the risk of sounding na?ve. Has there been speculation as to what the "something" that happened to Mullen last year was ?

Goat Holder
11-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Hell no. It's purely the speculation of disgruntled fans.

At the very WORST, I'd think he may have just wanted out of Starkville in 2010 and when he didn't get that opportunity, he sort of relaxed a little bit. That's worst case scenario. Obviously best case is that he loves Starkville and loves it here. Truth is probably in the middle. I think he almost left a few times, and he definitely got offers. But we gave him a raise and he liked it enough to stay. And he's maybe the victim of a little complacency on the 'crootin trail back during 2010 and 2011. But that seems to have gotten fixed.

Churchill
11-08-2013, 12:54 PM
I`ve never thought of Coach 57 as a "disgruntled" fan...quite the contrary.