PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick of MSU football

Cooterpoot
10-17-2020, 07:14 PM
I'm not even interested in watching. Didn't watch but 10 mins today. Not even going to fool with. Can we please fire John Cohen? He hired Moorhead. He wanted to hire Joe Judge. He hired Leach. Fire his ignorant ass tonight!!

Dawgface
10-17-2020, 07:22 PM
There is always next year. ;)

Charlie_Sheen420
10-17-2020, 07:23 PM
I'm not even interested in watching. Didn't watch but 10 mins today. Not even going to fool with. Can we please fire John Cohen? He hired Moorhead. He wanted to hire Joe Judge. He hired Leach. Fire his ignorant ass tonight!!

Nah, we have to wait and watch the women?s basketball team suck this year before we can pull the trigger haha

schddog72
10-17-2020, 07:25 PM
Nah, we have to wait and watch the women?s basketball team suck this year before we can pull the trigger haha

That AIN'T gonna happen!!

Charlie_Sheen420
10-17-2020, 07:27 PM

It very well could...Cohen made the hire...

maroonmania
10-17-2020, 07:34 PM
There is always next year. ;)

I actually think MSU fans would have had a much better attitude about things if football had been cancelled this year and Leach had gone through the normal full Spring practice and Fall camp before putting a product on the field next year. We also could have avoided the KJ Costello experiment as well. Looks like now we will have to have our graduate transfer go to the bench for a true freshman.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2020, 07:35 PM
Welp Cooter, you were preaching patience last week, LOL.

KOdawg1
10-17-2020, 07:37 PM
It very well could...Cohen made the hire...

I want to argue with you but I really can't. All of Cohen's hires, besides Lemonis, have been disasters.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2020, 07:38 PM
I want to argue with you but I really can't. All of Cohen's hires, besides Lemonis, have been disasters.

And the Lemonis search was a cluster.

KOdawg1
10-17-2020, 07:46 PM
And the Lemonis search was a cluster.

Correct. Cohen isn't an AD. If Leach is fired next year, then Cohen is out with him

HoopsDawg
10-17-2020, 07:50 PM
Correct. Cohen isn't an AD. If Leach is fired next year, then Cohen is out with him

We are probably stuck with Leach for at least 2 more years. Then in 2023 our new coach will have to revamp the roster. It may be 2025 before we are competitve again. I just hope recruiting doesn't fall off the map. Next year is a good year in state.

StoneDawg
10-17-2020, 07:51 PM
I actually think MSU fans would have had a much better attitude about things if football had been cancelled this year and Leach had gone through the normal full Spring practice and Fall camp before putting a product on the field next year. We also could have avoided the KJ Costello experiment as well. Looks like now we will have to have our graduate transfer go to the bench for a true freshman.

Beating LSU was the worse thing that could Have happen to the fans. Everyone got their hopes up after that. We all knew this year was going to be shit. Leach is a good coach. Y?all are so emotional take a chill pill.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
10-17-2020, 07:52 PM

We don't need anymore grad transfers.

preachermatt83
10-17-2020, 07:57 PM
Leach will win here. Good grief some of y’all need to stop whining

Charlie_Sheen420
10-17-2020, 07:58 PM
Beating LSU was the worse thing that could Have happen to the fans. Everyone got their hopes up after that. We all knew this year was going to be shit. Leach is a good coach. Y?all are so emotional take a chill pill.

I thought he was a good coach, but if he can?t tell which QB gives him the best shot to win with his system at this point, then he?s a stubborn idiot. KJ should have never played the 2nd half last week or any today...I honestly don?t think he gives a damn at this point because I?ve seen no proof that he does...

Maroonthirteen
10-17-2020, 08:07 PM
Beating LSU was the worse thing that could Have happen Leach is a good coach. Y?all are so emotional take a chill pill.

This keeps getting repeated. However it's the only good thing that's happened so far. Keeping a few people in Leachs camp.

But hey.... air raid.... swing that sword.

Homedawg
10-17-2020, 08:11 PM

But the crowds are gonna suck. Just watch...

msstate7
10-17-2020, 08:13 PM
I'm sorta getting used to being lackluster. Didn't get mad 1 time today

Charlie_Sheen420
10-17-2020, 08:14 PM
Leach will win here. Good grief some of y?all need to stop whining

Not with the way he?s coaching now, if he keeps trotting KJ out there, being too damn stubborn to make any adjustments, etc. At this point it would not surprise me if we don?t win another game this year with how terrible this offense is currently. I?m hopeful Rogers is the answer, but we won?t know that if Leach doesn?t play him. The other concern is recruiting...kids are not going to want to come here and be apart of this mess if it continues and that will only make things worse...my optimism on Leach is dead 4 games in...

Cooterpoot
10-17-2020, 08:15 PM
Welp Cooter, you were preaching patience last week, LOL.

Oh, I'm patient with him. But Cohen is the dumbest SOB I've ever seen and what he's done to our program should cost him his job. His top choice was Joe damn Judge. A winless coach. After hiring a proven loser in Moorhead. Leach looks bad. We're stuck with him for two more years now.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2020, 08:17 PM
Leach will win here. Good grief some of y’all need to stop whining

go and read the tweets by Alex Kirshner. He's a college football reporter based out of D.C. He said every MSU drive looks like the last 7 Apple Cups. Leach can't solve this puzzle.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2020, 08:19 PM
Oh, I'm patient with him. But Cohen is the dumbest SOB I've ever seen and what he's done to our program should cost him his job. His top choice was Joe damn Judge. A winless coach. After hiring a proven loser in Moorhead. Leach looks bad. We're stuck with him for two more years now.

I believe Chad Morris was one of the finalists along with moorhead as well.

Dawg2003
I'll probably get hate for this, but sometimes I wonder if some of those good years under Mullen made us think we're something we're not. Not trying to have a po ole State mentality but just being realistic. The Mullen years were the outlier in our history. Things tend to revert back to what they were.

Quaoarsking
But the crowds are gonna suck. Just watch...

Well, yeah. Best case scenario, the pandemic is still months from ending and wbb plays indoors.

Quaoarsking
10-17-2020, 08:21 PM

James Armstrong?
Samanta Ricketts?
Julie Darty (probably)?

Andy Cannizaro was on the way to being a home run hire until he couldn't keep his dick in his pants, which you can't really blame Cohen for.

Charlie_Sheen420
10-17-2020, 08:26 PM
James Armstrong?
Samanta Ricketts?
Julie Darty (probably)?

Andy Cannizaro was on the way to being a home run hire until he couldn't keep his dick in his pants, which you can't really blame Cohen for.

An AD is usually only going to be judged on the big 3: football, basketball, and baseball
I have no confidence in him to make a decent hire in any of those

HoopsDawg
10-17-2020, 08:30 PM
I'll probably get hate for this, but sometimes I wonder if some of those good years under Mullen made us think we're something we're not. Not trying to have a po ole State mentality but just being realistic. The Mullen years were the outlier in our history. Things tend to revert back to what they were.

That has nothing to do with 0 points on 29 straight possessions. Nothing. We have seen the same exact defense on almost every play for 3 straight games. That's a coaching problem.

Bothrops
10-17-2020, 08:35 PM
This would have been a good game to try and reinvigorate some positive energy before we go on break, then get obliterated at Bama the week afterward. Instead, we seem to have a lameduck coach that doesn't act like he gives a shit about trying to win games. I'm really not trying to be a asshole, but today was absolutely pitiful to keep a helpless qb in the game, only to pull him after it's waaaay too late to have a chance. Just ridiculous and no excuse for it. If he wants to write off the season, then lets go ahead and forfeit already!

maroonmania
10-17-2020, 08:36 PM
go and read the tweets by Alex Kirshner. He's a college football reporter based out of D.C. He said every MSU drive looks like the last 7 Apple Cups. Leach can't solve this puzzle.

Thought it was interesting on the Out of Left Field podcast where they were interviewing Luke Falk who was a starting Leach QB for several years at WSU. He said that the rush 3 drop 8 wasn't a problem against most teams but that it was a problem against Washington because they could drop 8 and still get a lot of pressure with 3 rushers. I'm starting to think that is going to be the problem with us against a lot of SEC teams in that SEC DL (who are generally better than PAC 12 and Big 12 DL) can get pressure routinely with only 3. The only counter argument is that most of our OL right now were not recruited to be pass blockers 90% of the time. Either we have to improve the guys we have now in that area or wait until Leach gets guys into the system that are better pass blockers.

KOdawg1
10-17-2020, 08:41 PM
James Armstrong?
Samanta Ricketts?
Julie Darty (probably)?

Lol, no one gives a shit about those sports. 90% of MSU fans can't even tell you what sport those coaches coach. Cohen should be judged on the hiring of football, men's and women's basketball, and baseball. But most of all, football.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2020, 08:42 PM
Thought it was interesting on the Out of Left Field podcast where they were interviewing Luke Falk who was a starting Leach QB for several years at WSU. He said that the rush 3 drop 8 wasn't a problem against most teams but that it was a problem against Washington because they could drop 8 and still get a lot of pressure with 3 rushers. I'm starting to think that is going to be the problem with us against a lot of SEC teams in that SEC DL (who are generally better than PAC 12 and Big 12 DL) can get pressure routinely with only 3. The only counter argument is that most of our OL right now were not recruited to be pass blockers 90% of the time. Either we have to improve the guys we have now in that area or wait until Leach gets guys into the system that are better pass blockers.

I posted the same thing in the Game thread. Every single SEC team has 3 stud Dlinemen. And it's not really 5 vs 3 b/c a lot of the time our 2 tackles are on an island out there 1 vs 1. Hell a lot of times our 2 guards are just making their drop blocking air.

I don't understand why we can run student body left and right and get 5 yards every time.

Lord McBuckethead
10-17-2020, 09:19 PM
Leach will win here. Good grief some of y?all need to stop whining

Exactly. Leach is my guy. Dude has literally won everywhere he has ever been. He can coach. I say give him 5 years. Lets go.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2020, 09:22 PM
Exactly. Leach is my guy. Dude has literally won everywhere he has ever been. He can coach. I say give him 5 years. Lets go.

Joe Lee Dunn had a good defense everywhere he had ever been, right up until he didn't.

msu15
10-17-2020, 09:37 PM
Joe Lee Dunn had a good defense everywhere he had ever been, right up until he didn't.

Jimmy and Joe's.

Percho
10-17-2020, 10:00 PM

Who would you have hired?

If who you hired came in and was presently 1 - 3 under the present conditions who would you hire next week?

Did OM hire the wrong guy?

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2020, 10:16 PM
We don't need anymore grad transfers.

Grad Transfer QBs. I'm good with other positions. Especially when current players can help them learn the system

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2020, 10:18 PM

I didn't either, but it was more of understanding the reality of where we are right now. We're implementing a new offensive system and trying to find a QB. In every offense in the history of mankind, that has gone poorly most of the time

msstate7
10-17-2020, 10:20 PM
I didn't either, but it was more of understanding the reality of where we are right now. We're implementing a new offensive system and trying to find a QB. In every offense in the history of mankind, that has gone poorly most of the time

I'm just close to not giving a crap. If leach fails, that's 2 in a row, and recovering becomes difficult. Covid keeps fans away this year, and shit play makes it hard to get em back.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2020, 10:20 PM

With one major difference. It's only his 4th game here and he's hasn't found his QB yet.

Why is this so hard to grasp? I'm struggling to understand the difficulty of this concept

msstate7
10-17-2020, 10:22 PM
With one major difference. It's only his 4th game here and he's hasn't found his QB yet.

Why is this so hard to grasp? I'm struggling to understand the difficulty of this concept

So he had 2 nfl qbs at WSU. Why not there?

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2020, 10:22 PM

Every college football has the right to be well coached and we were under Mullen and not under Moorhead and Croom.

When has Bama or anyone else been any good with bad coaching?

NOW, thinking we are a 10 program would be inaccurate because we weren't that when we were well coached. However, demanding to be well coached, which equals a 7-9 win program for MSU, isn't acting like something we aren't

msu15
10-17-2020, 10:23 PM
I'm just close to not giving a crap. If leach fails, that's 2 in a row, and recovering becomes difficult. Covid keeps fans away this year, and shit play makes it hard to get em back.

Yawn

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2020, 10:23 PM
So he had 2 nfl qbs at WSU. Why not there?

Not sure. I know the talent gap is larger between Wazzou and UW than MSU and any SEC team.

Also, I know for at least Mishew's apple cup, it was a blizzard.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2020, 10:24 PM

I hear you. He'll be fine though. Once he find his QB, we'll be good.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2020, 10:26 PM
This would have been a good game to try and reinvigorate some positive energy before we go on break, then get obliterated at Bama the week afterward. Instead, we seem to have a lameduck coach that doesn't act like he gives a shit about trying to win games. I'm really not trying to be a asshole, but today was absolutely pitiful to keep a helpless qb in the game, only to pull him after it's waaaay too late to have a chance. Just ridiculous and no excuse for it. If he wants to write off the season, then lets go ahead and forfeit already!

He certainly should've pulled KJ earlier, which is why I have no interest in another grad transfer QB.

Moorhead has the same issue when Shrader was clearly better than Stevens.

You have to kind of promise these grad transfer QBs the starting job to get them here and then you struggle to remove them because of the promises.

dawgday166
10-17-2020, 10:28 PM
We've got 3 new Olinemen, 2 of which are a RS FR and RS So. And damn Eiland still can't move his feet either. I had hopes for him under Dan/Hevesy but since then he's been very underwhelming. Also don't really have a good center right now.

The whole backfield were all true FR at end of game today. Leach is putting in whole new offensive scheme that puts a LOT of responsibility on QB and WRs to read and/or audible into a good play based on what D is lined up in. They have to be on same page. Not too many teams are very good on O starting that much youth/inexperience (especially on Oline) with an offense that hasn't changed, much less one that is changing so much.

Will can move and throw on the move, seems to have better pocket awareness, has more zip on the ball, and is more accurate than KJ. Still early but I liked what I saw from him today. We seemed to execute better while he was in there for a while. Maybe we can keep improving that.

Whether people want to admit it or not, Leach has inherited a team really deficient in depth of talent and experience. This ain't the 2018 team he inherited.

Todd4State
He certainly should've pulled KJ earlier, which is why I have no interest in another grad transfer QB.

Moorhead has the same issue when Shrader was clearly better than Stevens.

You have to kind of promise these grad transfer QBs the starting job to get them here and then you struggle to remove them because of the promises.

Will being sick factored in greatly.

Todd4State
We've got 3 new Olinemen, 2 of which are a RS FR and RS So. And damn Eiland still can't move his feet either. I had hopes for him under Dan/Hevesy but since then he's been very underwhelming. Also don't really have a good center right now.

The whole backfield were all true FR at end of game today. Leach is putting in whole new offensive scheme that puts a LOT of responsibility on QB and WRs to read and/or audible into a good play based on what D is lined up in. They have to be on same page. Not too many teams are very good on O starting that much youth/inexperience (especially on Oline) with an offense that hasn't changed, much less one that is changing so much.

Will can move and throw on the move, seems to have better pocket awareness, has more zip on the ball, and is more accurate than KJ. Still early but I liked what I saw from him today. We seemed to execute better while he was in there for a while. Maybe we can keep improving that.

Whether people want to admit it or not, Leach has inherited a team really deficient in depth of talent and experience. This ain't the 2018 team he inherited.

Excellent post.

msstate7
10-17-2020, 10:31 PM

We've scored 7 offensive points in 9 quarters. During the same period, our defense has scored 9. We knew the game plan the last 2 games before the 1st practice. Somehow you're justifying what isn't justifiable.

ETA... what sec offense can you give your defensive gamelan to on Sunday morning and still shut out?

Todd4State
10-17-2020, 10:34 PM
We've scored 7 offensive points in 9 quarters. During the same period, our defense has scored 9. We knew the game plan the last 2 games before the 1st practice. Somehow you're justifying what isn't justifiable.

Playing Costello and his bullshit "short leash" is what is unjustifiable. Especially given the alleged practice reports.

Cowbell
10-17-2020, 10:37 PM
Playing Costello and his bullshit "short leash" is what is unjustifiable. Especially given the alleged practice reports.
And this is the beginning of our poor coaching today. We lost on offensive coaching today. Period.

dawgday166
10-17-2020, 10:41 PM

Not saying it's good but QB play more than anything has been killing us. Leach has a little bit of a dilemma in burning Rogers' RS. I imagine he's fixing to do that tho. Just hope Will stays healthy. Our Oline is struggling.

There's a long game here. I know it's killing you and I ain't happy with it either, but the cupboard on offense is pretty darn bare IMO. I don't think Shrader will be able to handle this offense and he's not the most accurate gunslinger either.

If you wanna hate Leach then go ahead. I wanna see what happens 2 seasons from now. Not saying he might not have to make adjustments, but right now I'm good with the repetition of getting it installed. He might could alter just to win games, but this season is a scrimmage season (it's an asterisk year) anyway so IMO ... use it to get better at what Leach wants to do then adjust if need be.

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2020, 10:45 PM
Not saying it's good but QB play more than anything has been killing us. Leach has a little bit of a dilemma in burning Rogers' RS. I imagine he's fixing to do that tho. Just hope Will stays healthy. Our Oline is struggling.

There's a long game here. I know it's killing you and I ain't happy with it either, but the cupboard on offense is pretty darn bare IMO. I don't think Shrader will be able to handle this offense and he's not the most accurate gunslinger either.

If you wanna hate Leach then go ahead. I wanna see what happens 2 seasons from now. Not saying he might not have to make adjustments, but right now I'm good with the repetition of getting it installed. He might could alter just to win games, but this season is a scrimmage season (it's an asterisk year) anyway so IMO ... use it to get better at what Leach wants to do then adjust if need be.

There are no redshirts this year

It's a free year for everyone

msstate7
10-17-2020, 10:45 PM

If it's an asterisk year, maybe leach should experiment with some wrinkles to attack a defense that has riddled him

ShotgunDawg
10-17-2020, 10:46 PM
If it's an asterisk year, maybe leach should experiment with some wrinkles to attack a defense that has riddled him

I don't think he's riddled by it

My guess is that you turn on the film and guys are wide open but our QB doesn't work through his progressions fast enough

maroonmania
10-17-2020, 10:46 PM

There is no dilemma. The NCAA is not counting this year against anyone's eligibility. So essentially everyone is getting a redshirt no matter how many games they play. Rogers will be a freshman again next year even if he starts every game this year from here on out.

dawgday166
10-17-2020, 10:47 PM
Maybe we should get the basics down 1st. Then experiment. Their heads are full of stuff now they don't completely comprehend yet.

Todd4State
10-17-2020, 10:47 PM
And this is the beginning of our poor coaching today. We lost on offensive coaching today. Period.

Yes but going forward I think he has to go with Will. Better late than never.

Will technically could be redshirted and be here through 2025 if he maxed out his eligibility because this year doesn't count. That won't happen but if he exhausted all of his options available that would be when he could leave because this year doesn't count because of COVID.

msstate7
10-17-2020, 10:48 PM
Remember bumper Poole saying his DC told him exactly what was coming? He learned it from past leach. That should be terrifying

dawgday166
10-17-2020, 10:49 PM
Ok ... got it that RS don't count this year guys. Forgot about that. Then no dilemma playing Will.

Cowbell
I don't think he's riddled by it

My guess is that you turn on the film and guys are wide open but our QB doesn't work through his progressions fast enough

He has absolutely been riddled by defenses.z. We have made three defenses in a row look all-world. There are guys wide open. But you can't keep doing what ain't working. It took 30 possessions to score. You might even be able to do better than that. That is ridiculous. You don't pay a guy 5 million to see something that bad.

Todd4State
Maybe we should get the basics down 1st. Then experiment. Their heads are full of stuff now they don't completely comprehend yet.

I think most of that is on Costello based on what I have observed. Will just understands the offense better at this point. Even the offensive line looked better with Will in there or at least he makes decisions more quickly and it masks their awfulness.

dawgday166
10-17-2020, 10:50 PM
Everybody "knows" what's coming but most don't stop it well. Right now tho "what's coming" ain't matching really "what's supposed to be coming".

Todd4State
10-17-2020, 10:51 PM
Remember bumper Poole saying his DC told him exactly what was coming? He learned it from past leach. That should be terrifying

Doesn't matter because someone will be open even if they know what is coming. Up to the QB to make the right read.

dawgday166
10-17-2020, 10:52 PM
I think most of that is on Costello based on what I have observed. Will just understands the offense better at this point. Even the offensive line looked better with Will in there or at least he makes decisions more quickly and it masks their awfulness.

I agree with this. But it's so short a sample I'm a little reluctant to get my hopes too high yet.

dawgday166
10-17-2020, 10:54 PM

BTW ... They say the same thing about Mullen too a lot. But when he has the personnel/experience it works against everyone but Kirby & Saban.

Todd4State
10-17-2020, 11:27 PM
I agree with this. But it's so short a sample I'm a little reluctant to get my hopes too high yet.

We don't have a lot of weapons and our line is lacking but the slow decision making magnifies those things greatly. Our receivers are getting open at times- or at least someone usually is. None of them are game breakers though. Offensive line issues are obvious.

Hambone
10-17-2020, 11:52 PM
How do say someone has to be open?? When you only rush 3 and get pressure that leaves 8 people to cover 5......

The WR’s don’t have enough time to even get into their routes before the QB has to make a throw.

Our O-Line is as bad as it has ever been. Our line is JUCO level bad. Until they fix the OLine you can forget anyone taking a snap of any importance.

Will very well may be the answer going forward, but he’s going to get lit up until something changes with the OLine.

Mobile Bay
10-17-2020, 11:52 PM
https://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Billy-Madison-1.gif

RougeDawg
10-18-2020, 12:31 AM
James Armstrong?
Samanta Ricketts?
Julie Darty (probably)?

Yes you can. Cohen was warned by many in LSU athletic department about Cann?s zipper problems and the struggles they had with him. This comes from a prominent media person. Cohen is to an athletic director as I am a shuttle captain to Mars.

maroonmania
10-18-2020, 09:13 AM
How do say someone has to be open?? When you only rush 3 and get pressure that leaves 8 people to cover 5......

The WR’s don’t have enough time to even get into their routes before the QB has to make a throw.

Our O-Line is as bad as it has ever been. Our line is JUCO level bad. Until they fix the OLine you can forget anyone taking a snap of any importance.

Will very well may be the answer going forward, but he’s going to get lit up until something changes with the OLine.

The point you are making might actually be the biggest reason why we have to play Rogers over Costello. The best thing you can have to help a porous OL in pass protection is a QB that is nimble with some athleticism who can move around in the pocket and avoid rushers at times to buy time. Its the reason that Dak could be consistently throwing for over 400 yards per game for Dallas with a trash OL with no Tackles. Will be interesting to see if Dalton can do the same because Dak was always under pressure. But back to MSU, Costello, besides being slow in decision making, CAN'T MOVE to get away from a rusher. I'm over 50 and I almost feel like I'm as athletic moving around as KJ is. Rogers seems to have some nimbleness to him where he can move in the pocket and buy time even if he is not actually going to run. Our OL desperately needs that help right now. A statue in the pocket is just not going to work with this OL group.

Turfdawg67
10-18-2020, 09:53 AM

We are 15-15 with our last 2 football coaches and 180-175 since the "great MSU football renaissance" began (The Kang). And you are just now sick of MSU football? It is what it is and we are who we are. Looks like that won't change in my lifetime.

Cooterpoot
10-18-2020, 11:52 AM
We are 15-15 with our last 2 football coaches and 180-175 since the "great MSU football renaissance" began (The Kang). And you are just now sick of MSU football? It is what it is and we are who we are. Looks like that won't change in my lifetime.

Your depression far exceeds mine. I wouldn't care about losing if we were scoring. I was ok with losing if we showed offensive improvement. Now, I don't think this will work and our roster is about to get flipped to players that "fit" this style and when Leach is out in a couple years, we're going back the other way with players which prolongs this shit show for three more years. My fear is we are seeing the same thing we saw with basketball. A damn decade of crap.

R2Dawg
10-18-2020, 02:07 PM

Yikes, apathy. The end is near.