PDA

View Full Version : Do We Get B*&^ Slapped or Play Well Saturday?

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2020, 10:08 AM
I think Saturday will be an extreme one way or the other.

Either the team has learned to execute against a zone defense & will rally around the new sheriff

or

We'll have too many quality players out, bad attitudes, and we get our doors blown off.

It's my opinion that Leach needs his best game plan on Saturday. We obviously have a mentally fragile team in which rather deep culture issues developed during the JoMo era.

Thus, it's important that our players see the fruits of their labor in overcoming adversity. If we can play well this weekend, after all that's gone on, Leach will have gotten the players to overcome some adversity, which will go a long ways in getting the culture right.

StateDawg44
10-15-2020, 10:09 AM
More of the same from the past 2 weeks IMO.

ETA: IF we can limit it to even just one turnover for an entire game and not let it get taken back for a pick 6 or to the 2 yard line then the game won't be as demoralizing.

Cooterpoot
10-15-2020, 10:11 AM
If players can't handle working to make the offense work, then let them quit. Can't win with quitters. This idea we should automatically be good is stupid.
I think we see improvement but not sure we win.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2020, 10:12 AM
If players can't handle working to make the offense work, then let them quit. Can't win with quitters. This idea we should automatically be good is stupid.
I think we see improvement but not sure we win.

True. Good point

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2020, 10:14 AM
More of the same from the past 2 weeks IMO.

ETA: IF we can limit it to even just one turnover for an entire game and not let it get taken back for a pick 6 or to the 2 yard line then the game won't be as demoralizing.

I agree with Rosebowl on this.

On the BY yesterday, he talked about how he thinks the offense will get going all at once rather than a gradual progression.

Our offense isn't working due to the players not knowing what to do. Once they figure it out. Once they sit in the zone, once the OL gets comfortable with wide splits, & once the QB sees it a little quicker, we could go from scoring zero vs KY to 40 against A&M.

I truly believe that.

Extendedcab
10-15-2020, 10:16 AM
Didn't another poster on another thread yesterday say that the offense "clicked" again? I took that that they figured out how to overcome a 3-8 alignment scheme on defense - with attitude. Did I read that wrong? Is it not true? I am "hoping" or really expecting is a better term, for a good game from MSU.

parabrave
10-15-2020, 10:22 AM
I think the Def keeps it close till they just wear out in the 4th.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2020, 10:23 AM
I think we look better (less turnovers and mistakes), and still get beat solidly by a better team than us.

Cowbell
10-15-2020, 10:27 AM
Didn't another poster on another thread yesterday say that the offense "clicked" again? I took that that they figured out how to overcome a 3-8 alignment scheme on defense - with attitude. Did I read that wrong? Is it not true? I am "hoping" or really expecting is a better term, for a good game from MSU.
I think someone was being sarcastic

Maverick91
10-15-2020, 10:57 AM
I am having what you are having.

Until the effort issues, int issues, reading the field issues are solved. I am holding out hope that this offense will work in the SEC and work at a high level.

HailStateSZN19
10-15-2020, 11:07 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic there's improvement on offense. How much? Yeah, I don't have a clue. Hopefully Leach has hit a nerve within the team that inspires some urgency and they respond.

But it's gotta get better than the UK game doesn't it?......DOESN'T IT?!?!?!?!

TrapGame
10-15-2020, 11:17 AM
After the last two weeks I'm not expecting much. A&M will rush 3, drop 8 and it will be deja vu all over again.

Dawgface
10-15-2020, 11:18 AM
Bitch slapped.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-15-2020, 11:18 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic there's improvement on offense. How much? Yeah, I don't have a clue. Hopefully Leach has hit a nerve within the team that inspires some urgency and they respond.

But it's gotta get better than the UK game doesn't it?......DOESN'T IT?!?!?!?!

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

Todd4State
10-15-2020, 11:38 AM
I think we get bitch slapped because this group of upper class on offense suck. They're talented but they're a bunch of soft whiny entitled bitches. Kylin- which appropriately sounds like a girls name and O Sorry Ass Mitchell are the leaders.

Lord McBuckethead
10-15-2020, 11:50 AM
After the last two weeks I'm not expecting much. A&M will rush 3, drop 8 and it will be deja vu all over again.

I would drop 9 and rush 2 most times. We will not hand it off, and if we do they will have 9 sets of eye balls looking right at the handoff.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2020, 11:56 AM

I'm not sure anyone can say the offense has clicked until it's done in a game.

Cooterpoot
10-15-2020, 11:56 AM
I'll tell you what is bugging me. Seems there are a lot of people (our fans and others) that sure seem to be pulling for Leach to fail. WTF is up with that?

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2020, 11:57 AM

Difference is that A&M's DL has been great at rushing the passer. Our QB could have more time this week

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2020, 11:59 AM
I'll tell you what is bugging me. Seems there are a lot of people (our fans and others) that sure seem to be pulling for Leach to fail. WTF is up with that?

I'm certainly not hoping he fails and I'm actually fairly certain that he's going to be good. His track record is too extensive and he's too calm about what's going on right now while saying this happens everywhere he's been.

My only concern is that we need to play better so that we can recruit better and win big quicker. We need to get this thing going sooner rather than later so that we don't have recruiting issues.

Cowbell
10-15-2020, 12:01 PM
34 would be the expert on this topic

Dawgology
10-15-2020, 12:02 PM
We gonna get our shit pushed in.

Turfdawg67
10-15-2020, 12:03 PM
I think the Def keeps it close till they just wear out in the 4th.

I think our D gets exposed this week. This will be the first of many good passing teams on our schedule and our secondary is our weakest link. Hopefully our O can score a bunch.

ETA: And please bookmark this and rub it in my nose if I'm wrong... I pray that I am.

Turfdawg67
10-15-2020, 12:14 PM

I think someone was being sarcastic

I was... sorry. I thought the sarcastericks gave it away. I was poking fun at KJ. If 9 INTs and 2 FLs are "clicking", I'd hate to see him when the offense was clueless.

R2Dawg
10-15-2020, 12:16 PM
I'd be licking my chops if I am an DC or play D. Playing against the air raid would be like Christmas morning. Experiment with 2-9, 1-10, 0-11 then blitz 7 one play for a sack of 20 yards or int. We are confused with straight 3-8 all game.

This is what Ds are doing to us - toying with us and they are not being complicated with it.

I hope I am wrong but what I've seen, this is too easy to defend.

Flip side, I think our D can keep us in it until they tire out.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2020, 12:18 PM
I'd be licking my chops if I am an DC or play D. Playing against the air raid would be like Christmas morning. Experiment with 2-9, 1-10, 0-11 then blitz 7 one play for a sack of 20 yards or int. We are confused with straight 3-8 all game.

This is what Ds are doing to us - toying with us and they are not being complicated with it.

So you think Leach has never had success against 3-8s in his career?

Just trying to follow your logic here?

Dawgology
10-15-2020, 12:23 PM

0-11 had me rolling. Bet KJ would still throw and int after being pressured in the pocket! Lol!!

Cooterpoot
10-15-2020, 12:47 PM
I'll pick us to win in a close game: 24-20
17 you miserable 17s that can only complain.

TNDawg35
10-15-2020, 01:08 PM
Depends on how many plays out RB decides he’s hurt or how many times our QB throws it to the other team...

StarkVegasSteve
10-15-2020, 01:09 PM

I don't think anyone is openly rooting for him to fail. I think people are frustrated with the product that has been put on the field the last two weeks and they know Leach's stubbornness to adapt, which he wont do. It's also probably a little bit of worry for how long before we see tangible improvement from the offense. One bad season in the SEC can sink you for a full 4 year recruiting cycle, unless you're a blue blood.

William Tecumsah Sherman
10-15-2020, 01:09 PM
That a boy, Cooter!

ZedFedder
10-15-2020, 01:10 PM
I don't think anyone is openly rooting for him to fail. I think people are frustrated with the product that has been put on the field the last two weeks and they know Leach's stubbornness to adapt, which he wont do. It's also probably a little bit of worry for how long before we see tangible improvement from the offense. One bad season in the SEC can sink you for a full 4 year recruiting cycle, unless you're a blue blood.

Good point. I think, hopefully, we are selling how much we need guys like Teddy Knox and Nabers.

StateDawg44
10-15-2020, 01:17 PM

On the BY yesterday, he talked about how he thinks the offense will get going all at once rather than a gradual progression.

Our offense isn't working due to the players not knowing what to do. Once they figure it out. Once they sit in the zone, once the OL gets comfortable with wide splits, & once the QB sees it a little quicker, we could go from scoring zero vs KY to 40 against A&M.

I truly believe that.

I don't disagree with that except for the part about doing it this week.

Consistency will be the key after they get a little more acquainted with the mechanics of everything.

The only hole I can poke in the discussion you are looking for is that he wasn't playing elite defenses every week. Almost all defenses in the SEC would be considered pretty dominant in another conference.

Washington would fit right in on the defensive side of the ball.

Oregon not so much.

Cooterpoot
10-15-2020, 01:20 PM

Go look at all the boards. There are a ton of people pulling for Leach to fail. People mad he's disciplining players. People thinking he should be fired for two games.
And no, one season doesn't kill you. This is a total program rework. Those players see a chance to play day one. Especially when they see the number of FR we've played this year.

StarkVegasSteve
10-15-2020, 01:28 PM
Go look at all the boards. There are a ton of people pulling for Leach to fail. People mad he's disciplining players. People thinking he should be fired for two games.
And no, one season doesn't kill you. This is a total program rework. Those players see a chance to play day one. Especially when they see the number of FR we've played this year.

I don't disagree that there are some whacks out there who are saying we need to fire Leach, but those people are a small minority and they're just that, WHACKS. Now onto players wanting to play day one, if playing time was the only factor then Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, and USCe should've been piling in Top 25 classes the last few years. I don't disagree that players want to play from Day 1, but they also want to go to a program where there's a winning culture and a place to set them up for a future at the next level. Which is why the top players continue to go to UGA, Bama, LSU, and UF. They know they may not play right away, but they know when they do they'll be prepared and ready to dominate.

dawgoneyall
10-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Yes.

TrapGame
10-15-2020, 01:51 PM
I want Leach to succeed but it ain't gonna be this year. This is year zero. I think we look better next year.

mparkerfd20
10-15-2020, 02:15 PM
I think we get the brakes beat off us. If the line stays at 7 points or less sell everything you own and bet against us and make a flipping killing!

magrooder
10-15-2020, 02:18 PM
I thought the Arkansas game was going to be an awakening for us and we'd see improvement for KY. Obviously, that didn't happen so, I am just taking a wait and see attitude. Which is what I would have done for the whole year except for the LSUx game.

RiverCityDawg
10-15-2020, 02:32 PM

I've noticed it too. I think there are a lot of people that didn't like the hire but sort of kept quiet about it because so many others were excited for it. Now that there have been some bumps in the road they feel emboldened and are on a little "I knew it!" trip.

Dawgology
10-15-2020, 02:33 PM
I want Leach to succeed but it ain't gonna be this year. This is year zero. I think we look better next year.

This. We need to treat this as a pre-season and consider it a chance to install a new system top to bottom. LSU was fools gold and a lot of us were misled by it. Truth is...we will probably only win 2 more games this season but it is what it is.

Captain Falcon
10-15-2020, 02:48 PM
I think we look better on offense but worse on defense and still lose. A&M is the most well-rounded offensive team we have seen so far. I don't think Mond is just awesome but he's better than he gets credit for sometimes. And they have a good running game too, Spiller is a very good back. If there is one thing that might help us it's that they are getting pretty thin at the WR position, they've had several opt outs and injuries and then their leading receiver last week blew out his knee on the game tying touchdown.

We may not score 30 or 40 but I think we look better on offense than we have the last two weeks. Would be hard to look any worse. I think the vegas line is about right, I think we are catching them at a good time with us having something to prove and them coming off a huge win, so I feel like it's a close game, just don't know if we can limit our mistakes enough to win outright. I would say it's definitely a winnable game if we play clean, though.

Turfdawg67
10-15-2020, 03:49 PM

I'm too lazy to go look. Curious what you predicted our 1st game?

Turfdawg67
10-15-2020, 03:58 PM

Again curious Cooter... what other boards? This is really the only one I frequent. Sixpack is a joke so I quit going there unless I want to know the "OT: Top Restaurants in Meridian".

Cooterpoot
10-15-2020, 04:13 PM
Again curious Cooter... what other boards? This is really the only one I frequent. Sixpack is a joke so I quit going there unless I want to know the "OT: Top Restaurants in Meridian".

Ha! 6Pack has the same people as here. They're just more vocal there. It's more a smartass contest over there. And Meridian is void of good eateries.

Percho
10-15-2020, 04:29 PM
0-11 had me rolling. Bet KJ would still throw and int after being pressured in the pocket! Lol!!

I bet he would either throw a completion or just throw it away when he did not have to throw at all.

Anybody remember the 4 corners. What are the fewest shots ever taken in a game?

Percho
10-15-2020, 04:30 PM

I'm with you fellers.

Percho
10-15-2020, 04:34 PM
I don't disagree with that except for the part about doing it this week.

Consistency will be the key after they get a little more acquainted with the mechanics of everything.

The only hole I can poke in the discussion you are looking for is that he wasn't playing elite defenses every week. Almost all defenses in the SEC would be considered pretty dominant in another conference.

Washington would fit right in on the defensive side of the ball.

Oregon not so much.

When was the last time Ole P had an elite defense?

Gypsy_RoadDawg
10-15-2020, 06:43 PM

I truly believe that.

Spot on Assessment

StateDawg44
10-15-2020, 06:50 PM
When was the last time Ole P had an elite defense?

There?s a reason I said ALMOST all defenses in the SEC and not ALL defenses.

My point is obviously that defenses we face weekly in the SEC are on average well above that of other conferences.

Cowbell
10-15-2020, 07:40 PM

You are really stepping out there with that prediction **

R2Dawg
10-15-2020, 09:02 PM

I haven't followed his career but the last two games look like he didn't know what to do with it or how to coach a team in it or it isn't going to work well in the SEC. Leach is the hammer and everything he sees is a nail. SEC has elite D's of college football outside of Clemson, Ohio St. and a few others. NFL rosters prove that. NFL and SEC speed on D is across the board just better.

I hope he figures it out but what did we do different at UK vs Ark? I didn't see anything. Well we ran less. We actually ran ball on Ark OK.

KJ already knows where he wants to throw it and Ds are baiting him and it ain't even difficult.

Cowbell
10-15-2020, 09:08 PM
I haven't followed his career but the last two games look like he didn't know what to do with it or how to coach a team in it or it isn't going to work well in the SEC. Leach is the hammer and everything he sees is a nail. SEC has elite D's of college football outside of Clemson, Ohio St. and a few others. NFL rosters prove that. NFL and SEC speed on D is across the board just better.

I hope he figures it out but what did we do different at UK vs Ark? I didn't see anything. Well we ran less. We actually ran ball on Ark OK.

KJ already knows where he wants to throw it and Ds are baiting him and it ain't even difficult.

There is nothing elite about either of the two defenses we just lost to, so you have no argument. Guys aren't doing their job. Period.

Liverpooldawg
10-15-2020, 09:46 PM
It will be bad. You can not intentionally tear down a decades plus work and expect to rebuild it instantly. We are essentially doing what we did post Stans in basketball, starting two years ago.

FISHDAWG
10-16-2020, 07:20 AM

I'll bet we wouldn't run the ball either

FISHDAWG
10-16-2020, 07:28 AM

We're like a Jury .... we can only ponder the evidence that has been put forth in front of us .. observations aren't necessarily complaining and that evidence is why everyone is skeptical ... it's not the wins vs losses - it's the effort & game planning .... aTm is gonna brutally prove this point

FISHDAWG
10-16-2020, 07:32 AM
I think we get the brakes beat off us. If the line stays at 7 points or less sell everything you own and bet against us and make a flipping killing!

it's down to 4-1/2 this am .... somethings out of whack .... disclaimer - that's what I heard on the radio this am and haven't confirmed that ..... either way 7 points is still way to low

StateDawg44
10-16-2020, 08:05 AM
We're like a Jury .... we can only ponder the evidence that has been put forth in front of us .. observations aren't necessarily complaining and that evidence is why everyone is skeptical ... it's not the wins vs losses - it's the effort & game planning .... aTm is gonna brutally prove this point

Yeah I'll be tuning in & cheering them on but they gotta give us some sort of step in the right direction.

It's not that it's A&M by any means. It could be Arky or UK again and I'd still be skeptical after the past two weeks.

Vandy & Mizzou are the only teams the rest of the year I will probably get upset if we lose to. Those two would leave me feeling like the previous 2 weeks have.

------

People have said we will win some we shouldn't and lose some we shouldn't with Leach. That isn't what we are dealing with right now. I don't think we are to the point of being able to say that because of the year we've had and the new system and staff.

I definitely see growing pains being the culprit more than sleeping on the job and gameplan being effective in the SEC. Yeah, we have some players who give up on plays and there's probably other stuff happening behind the scenes with the new staff and players. I trust that Leach will fix that.

Beating LSU is probably the worst thing Leach could've done for himself. LSU D sux and they were dumb enough to play man the entire time. They've been exposed for that now that us and Mizzou have beat them. They will lose more so that win seems smaller and smaller. It's definitely overshadowed by the Arky and Kentucky losses in my eyes.

But, fortunately for them, I have patience. I am an MSU fan after all. Unless you tell me to pound sand or kick rocks.

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2020, 12:55 PM
it's down to 4-1/2 this am .... somethings out of whack .... disclaimer - that's what I heard on the radio this am and haven't confirmed that ..... either way 7 points is still way to low

It's interesting. Possible factors -
A&M has gotten run off the field the past 3 trips to Starkville - highly ranked every time.
A&M's pass defense have faced the fewest pass attempts per game (29) in the SEC; but have given up the second most yards per attempt (10.2), 2nd highest completion percentage (71.6), and the 2nd highest number of passing TD's (9).
They have also been getting little pressure as they are 12th in sacks (4); and 9th in TFLs (15)

Turfdawg67
10-16-2020, 01:04 PM
It's interesting. Possible factors -
A&M has gotten run off the field the past 3 trips to Starkville - highly ranked every time.
A&M's pass defense have faced the fewest pass attempts per game (29) in the SEC; but have given up the second most yards per attempt (10.2), 2nd highest completion percentage (71.6), and the 2nd highest number of passing TD's (9).
They have also been getting little pressure as they are 12th in sacks (4); and 9th in TFLs (15)

There you go... giving me a glimmer of hope. Dammit

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2020, 01:56 PM
There you go... giving me a glimmer of hope. Dammit

As a Braves fan during the Dark Ages of the 70s and 80s and as an MSU fan, I know those glimmers normally turn out to be an oncoming train. And yet, here we are LOL

SheltonChoked
10-16-2020, 02:26 PM

You think Leach won 66% of his games over 20 years of Power 5 coaching, and he's never saw a zone defense? Ever?

Or do you think our players are still learning how to do it since they had no spring practice, and a limited summer and fall?

You guys have PTSD from Croom and need help.

Maverick91
10-16-2020, 02:30 PM
lol rep given ^^^

TrapGame
10-16-2020, 02:36 PM
You think Leach won 66% of his games over 20 years of Power 5 coaching, and he's never saw a zone defense? Ever?

Or do you think our players are still learning how to do it since they had no spring practice, and a limited summer and fall?

You guys have PTSD from Croom and need help.

Spot on. This year zero. Next year will be very different.

was21
10-16-2020, 02:59 PM
no reason to think we get other than bitch slapped